Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MrWhy

Not Sure What I Just Did

Hello everyone! New brewer and you might see me starting several threads!

Just brewed up something (it is my third batch. I have two LBKs and started in December).

I used - 

American Ale

Smooth DME

Golden LME

Booster

Cascade Hops
Saaz Hops.

T-58

--

Not sure what is going to happen. This was sort of my first "go crazy" brew. I boiled water. Let it cool a bit and then put in the Golden DME. Brought it back to a boil and added the cascade hops. Let it simmer for a bit. Added the Golden LME. Let the simmer come down and stirred in the booster. Then I added the American Ale HME and the Saaz hops. Once the temp was under 100 put it in the LBK with cool water. Brought it all up to 2+ gallons. Temp was 75 and I added the T-58.

It is in the cooler as is. I will monitor and see what happens, but the plan is to bottle in 3 weeks.

Any thoughts - advice - things I should have done/thought about? (i.e. NEVER put cascade and saaz hops together! Are you a foo!!!)

Happy New Year all!

3 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Hello everyone! New brewer and you might see me starting several threads!

Just brewed up something (it is my third batch. I have two LBKs and started in December).

I used - 

American Ale

Smooth DME

Golden LME

Booster

Cascade Hops
Saaz Hops.

T-58

--

Not sure what is going to happen. This was sort of my first "go crazy" brew. I boiled water. Let it cool a bit and then put in the Golden DME. Brought it back to a boil and added the cascade hops. Let it simmer for a bit. Added the Golden LME. Let the simmer come down and stirred in the booster. Then I added the American Ale HME and the Saaz hops. Once the temp was under 100 put it in the LBK with cool water. Brought it all up to 2+ gallons. Temp was 75 and I added the T-58.

It is in the cooler as is. I will monitor and see what happens, but the plan is to bottle in 3 weeks.

Any thoughts - advice - things I should have done/thought about? (i.e. NEVER put cascade and saaz hops together! Are you a foo!!!)

Happy New Year all!

How long did you let the cascade "simmer"?

You should have used colder top off water. This will get the temp down to 65 degrees or so before pitching yeast. 75 is not a good target temp (but you will still make beer).

Also, what was the volume of your boil?

You would likely make an IPA (perhaps on the darker/maltier side of the style) beer around 6% ABV. But we need to know boil time for the cascade, if it added enough bitterness to be called such.

• Like 1

Thanks AnthonyC

jsherman - yup. Clearly I am no expert yet! My next batch I am planning on a seasonal or a recipe and just following the instructions. As I looked at those packets of hops I realized "I have no real idea what to do."

So I winged it.

Lot's to learn!

If you haven't already, get a notebook and write down everything you do.

I "wing it" all the time, and since I take detailed notes, I can refer to them later.

This especially important if you are drinking beer while making beer (which you should be doing!), since you might forget amounts and boil times.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2016 at 9:30 PM, jsherman said:

If you haven't already, get a notebook and write down everything you do.

I "wing it" all the time, and since I take detailed notes, I can refer to them later.

This especially important if you are drinking beer while making beer (which you should be doing!), since you might forget amounts and boil times.

Yup. I've got my brewers folder on my gdrive now where I note everything I brew. Water used, pitching temps, anything I do.

This beer actually turned out really well.

• Like 1

I have found that T-58 is a bit more tolerant of high pitch temps. I didn't notice the yeast type earlier. If you like the unique flavor T-58 provides, I'm not suprised this turned out well for you.