Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Marlymarl

Millennium Falconers Flight Red Ale

whats the idea fermentation temp for the 

Millennium Falconers Flight Red Ale  The Mr Beer instructions (68-76) or the Temp instructions on the Safale US-05 packet (59-75)... 

I'd follow the yeast's instructions for this.  The MrBeer instructions assume you are using the standard yeast that comes with all MrB refills.  If you are using the Safale US-05, then you'll want to follow the instructions on the yeast packet.

• Like 1

I made a batch a few weeks ago of the Falconers Flight Red. Came on a little hoppy but dam good. Fermented around 64-65 degrees for 3 weeks then bottle carbonated for 3-4 more weeks at the same temp.

It has no off flavors at all and gives a good "buzz" after 2 , 740ml bottles.

I ferment everything at 65-68 regardless of what the yeast says (lager yeasts excluded). Always stay at the low end of the scale.

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I ferment everything at 65-68 regardless of what the yeast says (lager yeasts excluded). Always stay at the low end of the scale.

It is whatever the basement is at. + fermentation generated heat. + hot of cold from AC vent in ceiling (mostly kept closed) and Lagers are at 50-55 in the cooler.

Currently basement room is at 65.  I bring the LBKs into other part of basement with heating vents open & or under heat lamp if I need higher temp.

• Like 1

Mine came out darker in color than I thought it would. The carbonation was good.I used 4 Domino sugar dots per 740ml bottle. My advise is let it carb up the full 3-4 weeks for a fully finished flavor. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spoodge said:

Mine came out darker in color than I thought it would. The carbonation was good.I used 4 Domino sugar dots per 740ml bottle. My advise is let it carb up the full 3-4 weeks for a fully finished flavor. You won't be disappointed.

On some of the basic recipes (Horse's Ass Ale, Bavarian Weissbier, etc.), I'll try at 3 weeks, but ones like this I usually wait the full 4 weeks.

• Like 1

for the recipes, what is the purpose of putting half the hops in at the 1 week mark?  if putting them in at the one mark w/o a hop sack -- would that cause any issues?

On 12/1/2016 at 9:32 PM, RickBeer said:

Stronger aroma.  No hop sack on a dry hop means hop pieces in bottles.

Cold crashing would reduce this, right?

Possibly.  Cold crashing causes yeast particles to drop out of suspension, and trub to solidify.  If the hop pieces are tiny, then yes.  If they are large, maybe, maybe not.

• Like 1

The interesting thing about this recipe is that the krausen is still at the top now 9 days into fermentation.  I kept the temperature between 64 & 68.  I wonder if it's because of the US-05 yeast compared to the yeast packaged with most of the standard refills.  I did not have a sanitized hop sack so I just put them in commando.  Hoping everything turns out OK! 

Well, how did it go? i guess your ready to bottle now. Did your trub pieces drop to the bottom and how are the hops settling?

On 12/21/2016 at 9:04 AM, Spoodge said:

Well, how did it go? i guess your ready to bottle now. Did your trub pieces drop to the bottom and how are the hops settling?

I cold crashed for 72 hours and bottling went fine.  A *little* trub came out in my last bottle, but nothing too crazy.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that bottling went good. Now come the best part drinkin it! Right now I'm making lasagna and havin a whispering Wheat Hefe. I let it ferment at 64-67 degrees the let bottle condition 15 days. Oh so good... and will get better if I can resist drinkin it all today. Nectar of the gods!!

IMG_0526.JPG

• Like 6

That looks awesome!  Job well done. What's next?  I'm gonna fill my first keg with a Belgian Tripel that's fermenting now. I can't wait. I'm just not sure if I should force carb and "roll" the keg or just set the pressure and wait for a week or so.  Anyway enjoy the Flight red.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 10:16 AM, Spoodge said:

That looks awesome!  Job well done. What's next?  I'm gonna fill my first keg with a Belgian Tripel that's fermenting now. I can't wait. I'm just not sure if I should force carb and "roll" the keg or just set the pressure and wait for a week or so.  Anyway enjoy the Flight red.

Cheers!

I also just cracked open the first Vanilla Porter I made (basically the Mr. Beer recipe for the VP but w/o the LME but WITH the booster).  At 4 & 5 weeks, it's very tasty -- sweet & robust.  Got some pineapple, cherry, and apricot wheats ready soon (just added the fruit extracts at bottling of the standard Bavarian Weissbier refill) -- these were delicious last summer so very excited about these.  Have an Aztec Cerveza fermenting now; going to dry hop 1 oz of Saaz hops to the LBK about 5 days before bottling to boost it up a bit in the flavor department.  After that, try the Diablo IPA.  So I got all my spring/early summer beers lined up and ready to go!

Millennium Falconer's Flight Red

Vanilla Porter

Cherry Wheat

Apricot Wheat

Pineapple Wheat

Aztec Cerveza w/ Saaz Hops

Diablo IPA

Kevin

• Like 3

I am happy to hear the Millennium Falconers Flight Red  turned out so well.  Mine is ready to be bottled tomorrow night!

• Like 1