Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
johnp

Expired CAL

I have an expired CAL 9/15 I am going to brew this weekend.  I would prefer not to brew it straight up.

Does anyone have suggestions what to add that I can get local to dress it up? I am thinking about adding honey but I wanted to quiz the group about other options.

It's not "expired". The dates are "best by" dates.

If you can get some hops, a 1/2 - 1 oz of Cascade is always nice in that refill. Coupled with a cup of honey, and you have yourself a pretty good beer.

• Like 1

I like the hop addition, honey is OK, but IMHO some malt too would be nice. Drink this one cold.

• Like 1

Any of the "C" hops (hop names that start with a "c" are usually citrusy to some extent) would be great really. Adding honey to that dries out the beer a bit, but can make those hops really "pop."

Or if you like a malty beverage, add some malt extract only. Make a tasty dessert beer.

CAL is a light beer that could serve as a base for a fruit to shine through. Oregon brand fruit is sold at many grocery stores. Just make sure if you get a different brand you avoid preservatives. They will mess with your yeast.

• Like 2