Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AJF

Airlock or NO Airlock

Ok so now I'm ready to do another batch while my first batch sits.

I purchased the Bavarian Weissbeir and I'm going to start working on it later this week.

Now I've read on this forum that some people are useing an airlock on there LBK by installing a bubble airlock and putting a rubber gasket around the lid to make it air tight.

After reading about the LBK being air tight, it sounds like it's a good way to prevent outside contaminates to enter and helps the fermentation process.

My question is, can I do something like this with the Mr. Beer refill kits or is this only for specific blends? What are some disadvantages?

There seems to be advantage to having the LBK airtight with a bubble airlock installed on the lid that will allow the Co2 to escaped and not bring in any contaminates.

I saw the original LBK had airtight lids.

Comments?

Not sure why you'd waste your time. Millions of people make perfect batches without an airlock 

who hop the heck has an airlock on their LBK anyway? I've never seen that

I'm lost.  A carboy is a big glass or plastic container, has nothing to do with an LBK.  

The LBK has notches in the lid threads to allow ventilation, i.e. CO2 to escape.  No airlock is needed.  Making the LBK airtight to require an airlock would serve no purpose.

• Like 3

There's no reason to make the LBK airtight. With Co2 constantly off-gassing during fermentation, there's no risk of contamination. They were designed that way for a reason. In fact, they USED to come with airlocks, but those were deemed unecessary when all you really needed was a couple of notches under the lid.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "carboy". As Rick pointed out, a carboy is a huge glass jug. Not sure how or why one would mount a carboy to an LBK. :blink:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Not sure how or why one would mount a carboy to an LBK. :blink:

More power?

• Like 2

I edited my original post so not to be confusing.

Yes I miss spoke on the carboy and I did just mean bubble airlocks. Wasn't thinking while sitting at the vet this morning. 

Anyway, why I was mention this because I have read that even though the Mr. Beer keg does have notches for Co2 to escape, it can also allow air to be pulled back in towards the end of the process, which could allow contaminates to enter. 

I've been reading about the LBK and one thing that I read was adding a bubble airlock to improve the process. 

Plus this was a thought and I wanted to see what people thought about it and to hear any comments regarding it. It sounded interesting to me after reading a lot of things about the LBK and this "adding a bubble airlock to improved the process" sounded interesting. 

Mr. Beer with bubble airlocks

LBK_zpspmmz9tal.jpg 

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Anyway, why I was mention this, is because I have read that even though the Mr. Beer keg does have notches for Co2 to escape, it can also allow air to be pulled back in towards the end of the process, which could allow contaminates to enter. 

I've been reading about the LBK and one thing that I read was adding a bubble airlock to improve the process.

Co2 will off-gas for several weeks. But you're not supposed to leave it in the fermenter beyond 3 weeks anyway. During that time, contaminants will NOT enter the fermenter (this has been tested time and time again). Adding an airlock does absolutely nothing to improve the process. All it does is take up more space.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Co2 will off-gas for several weeks. But you're not supposed to leave it in the fermenter beyond 3 weeks anyway. During that time, contaminants will NOT enter the fermenter (this has been tested time and time again). Adding an airlock does absolutely nothing to improve the process. All it does is take up more space.

It also adds a little expense from buying the airlock, grommet, and the gasket. :)

It's absolutely not necessary. I've even done bucket fermentations using the same idea (just put the lid on loosely so the CO2 can get out during active fermentation and let the layer of CO2 protect the beer). I've also got a bucket fermenter with an airlock that ends up doing the same thing because there's a leak either around the edge somewhere or between the airlock grommet. I've fermented plenty of batches with that and never had a problem.

If you really want to add an airlock, there's probably no harm in it, assuming proper sanitation. I say probably, because there's a chance that when you drill the hole for the airlock, you could create some scratches that would harbor bacteria and/or wild yeast. And you're adding a grommet, and that needs to be taken out and sanitized (this is easy to forget) and the hole needs to be sanitized and the gasket for the lid needs to be sanitized.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Co2 will off-gas for several weeks. But you're not supposed to leave it in the fermenter beyond 3 weeks anyway. During that time, contaminants will NOT enter the fermenter (this has been tested time and time again). Adding an airlock does absolutely nothing to improve the process. 

Thank you for the easy to understand information. It helps to understand why a bubble airlock is not worth it for the LBK lid.

• Like 1

The stuff we have to worry about can't clime, crawl, or fly. only fall so the only real chance it has to enter the fermenter is when you move it, sometimes plastic sucks in(even with an airlock). However it has been my experience that if your not trying to hurry things it tends not to be an issue.

• Like 2