Mr.Beer Community

Noob here,

I noticed the Trub (dormant yeast) at the bottom of the LBK at and slighly above the fill spigot height and I'm one week in. I also plan on cold crashing before bottling. Do you guys siphon beer from the top when that occurs or how do you handle it. I'm making the Heavy Mcwee scottish ale and plan on letting it condition for 3 months and more. I hear you want to get as much trub as possible out for it can give undesirable taste over the long term. Any help would be appreicated.

58 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Prop it up.  See link in my signature. 

I'm really going to show my ignorance now. I've seen you post "see link in my signature" before and don't have a clue what that means. I see no signature or links and I clicked on every dang thing. lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeSchulz said:

I'm really going to show my ignorance now. I've seen you post "see link in my signature" before and don't have a clue what that means. I see no signature or links and I clicked on every dang thing. lol

I'm liking this Mike just because I think you're hilarious, and definitely a guy I'd like to have a few beers with! :)

No worries.  Rick will get you through this.

• Like 1

New Brewer?  Read This.  No kidding, READ IT.              The RIGHT way to brew.

Propping Up The LBK - No Trubal                                     Cold Crashing - What is It and Why Do You Care?

Mr. Beer Glossary                                                              How To Read A Hydrometer

Keeping Track of Things                                                    Bottling Cleaning

Why Process Matters and Why You Need To Follow One 

If you're asking yourself if you should do something stupid, don't you already know the answer?   ;)

Looking to go all mad scientist on your second batch, and you've already read the suggested threads?  Ask someone else your questions...  :lol:

Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it.

Over 2,700 "Likes" and growing - either I'm spewing good stuff or people think they'll get paid for their likes   :lol: 

• Like 1

Rick, great write up for your Brewer of the Month article. I'm surprised that I didn't see the link before, as I've read and referred to your signature links many times over.

A toast, to you. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

If you're asking yourself if you should do something stupid, don't you already know the answer?   ;)

I had a friend once who told me that his dad only gave him one rule when he was growing up: "Son, don't be stupid."

He said it was a perfect rule, because whenever he did anything he knew he shouldn't, it went like this:

"What do I always tell you?"

"Son, don't be stupid."

"And?"

Hangs head, "I was stupid."

He said it really made things easy and he still follows it as an adult. When he's thinking about doing something, he just asks whether it would pass his dad's rule and if it would be stupid, he doesn't do it. 

• Like 4

I'm in the final days fermenting an IPA recipe. My LBK's are propped up on the spigot end with three CD cases and the trub layer is right up to the spigot. This is the first brew using SafAle US-05 I've had this much trub. I'm planing on racking to a bottling bucket for a batch prime but I might have to get a siphon instead of connecting a tube to the spigot. 

My question is would I be able to use a sanitized spoon to clear out the spigot before cold crashing or should I just invest in a siphon?

If you intend to move up in fermenter size you'll eventually need to buy one anyway, so I'd get one. Get an auto siphon, they're easier to use than a racking cane.

• Like 2

I'm not intending on moving up in fermenter side anytime soon. The LBK's are a perfect size for the space and equipment I have. I need to reduce some debt and upgrade the house before I upgrade my brewing system. What I've invested in so far is working, maybe in five years or so I can upgrade.  For the meantime I need simple and cheap. 

6 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Never needed a siphon,  nor a spoon. Prop it up a bit higher. 

Good advice for my next brew for sure. Every other brew I've fermented I've used three CD cases to prop the LBK. This brew desided to be different and load the bottom of the LBK's with a boku amount of trub. 

I've been searching auto siphons on home brew sites and they are only $15.00 or so. I think I can afford that. I'm sure my LHBS has one for a comparable price. 

I suspend my LBK's from the ceiling using complicated cables and grappling hooks, it's a little irritating in the kitchen when i'm frying eggs, but I manage

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

I suspend my LBK's from the ceiling using complicated cables and grappling hooks, it's a little irritating in the kitchen when i'm frying eggs, but I manage

Brilliant! If you don't mind flat beer, make sure you put them at a height where you can just open the spigot and drink from the tap. :)

• Like 2

I never thought of doing that! and by using RickBeer's tilting method, I can lay back leave the spigot open and enjoy all my beer at once!!! Thanx efdbrian

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RickBeer said:

You can still prop this batçh up more. Trub flows 

I'll give that a go tonight after work and see what happens. Planning on cold crashing Saturday morning so I hope three days is enough. 

20 hours ago, MikeSchulz said:

From another post where another user was not seeing sigs:

On 1/14/2016 at 3:27 PM, C-ya said:

The setting is in your Account Settings.  Go to the upper right of the screen, click your user name and select Account Settings.  Once there, you will be on the Overview tab.  Click Signature and look for the slider.  It is probably in the off position.

Sigblock_zps1xki6buw.jpg

• Like 1

C-YA thanks so much. That surly explains allot. And thanks to all for the quick trub ble replies.  See where I was going with that.... :P

• Like 1

Mike:

We have a quality standard here...  THIS IS YOUR FIRST WARNING!

And it was no tribble at all.  

troubles-with-tribbles.jpg

• Like 2