Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RocketSaws

Porter DMEs

Hey all, looking at recipes and wondering if I'd be able to switch out DMEs in this porter I found. 

1 Can MB American Porter

1 LB Briess Traditional Dark DME

1 Cup dextrose (corn sugar)

1/2 Cup Quick Oats.

Bring ~1.5 - 2 qts bottled water to boil.  

Flameout.

Add DME, sugar, oats.  

Bring back to boil.

Put 1 Gal Spring Water into LBK

Cut gallon jug in half to make a big funnel and a square deep dish.

Put hot water into dish and put HME can into hot water.

Boil wort for 15 minutes.

Flameout.

Add warmed HME to wort

Allow wort to cool

Put funnel into top of LBK

Put sieve into the mouth of the funnel

Pour wort through funnel, catching oatmeal

Pour second gallon of spring water through sieve to wash the oatmeal.

Pitch yeast at 80 degrees

Shake LBK for about a minute to aerate the wort.

Fermenting at ~73 per strip thermometer on front of LBK

I'd add about 1.5oz of cold brewed coffee at bottling (22oz bottles). 

My question is, would I be able to swap out the Dark DME for Great Western C75? I'd like more caramel flavor to come through, while hopefully keeping the beer on the darker side. Could I perhaps add 1.25lbs GW C75 and .5lbs Breiss Black Patent or Blackprinz malt to get a bit of the caramel flavor without sacrificing a darker beer? 

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Dme is a combination of base malts and specialty malts. C75 is a specialty malt. So you can't use just C75 to replace the dme. 

If you want more control over the final result, you can use some light or extra light dme and steep some specialty grains to get the results you want. This is the approach my LHBS users. They only sell Pilsen lme, since it's the lightest, then use specialty malts. That way, they're sure their lme is always really fresh. 

• Like 1

I see, thanks for clarifying that for me. 

Is a Briess Black Patent or Blackprinz Malt interchangeable with the Traditional Dark? It's what my LHBS has, and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping (yay). With the darker malts, could I still steep a specialty malt like C75 in the wort (I assume that's how you do it) to get the desired results? 

No,  those are not interchangeable. If you had Googled the Briess, you would find the EXACT composition of it... PDF

And you don't steep in wort. 

You are operating way out of your comfort zone,  I would recommend slowing down.  And that recipe,  which says to shake the LBK among other things? 

Last porter I made I just added a pack of "smooth" and a pack of "robust"  - came out quite nice.

Also note Briess makes "Porter" LME.

I used 1 lb of this in my "Brew together" Black and Tan recipe on top of a Pilsen HME. I will try the first bottle at 4 weeks tonight. Besides the Porter LME, I  did a 10 min boil of Fuggles hop (0.5 oz) before adding the HME and  0.5 oz EK Goldings at flameout. 

Traditional Dark DME has very high Munich Malt content. I actually use it for that impact alone as it is convenient to portion a cup or 1/2 cup out with DME.

Adds sweetness and maltiness.

INGREDIENTS

54% Munich Malt 10L 30% Base Malt

13% Caramel Malt 60

3% Black Malt

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

No,  those are not interchangeable. If you had Googled the Briess, you would find the EXACT composition of it... PDF

And you don't steep in wort. 

You are operating way out of your comfort zone,  I would recommend slowing down.  And that recipe,  which says to shake the LBK among other things? 

Good catch on the shaking. I missed that. 

Actually, the two he listed are specialty malts, not the dark dme.

Rocketsaws:

I'll repeat myself. You can't replace dme with specialty malts. It doesn't matter which specialty malls you use. 

You can use a combination of specialty malts and dme to get what you want, but you need to have a good idea of what you want in terms of flavor, color, etc. Right now you're just trying to clone a Mr beer dme. I can't help you with that because I've never used it. If I had, I might be able to come up with something similar, but not something the same. 

Stop looking for a specialty grain to replace the dme. It's not going to work. If your LHBS carries dme or lme, they may have a dark. It won't be exactly the same, but it might make a good beer.

If they only have light dme/lme,  you could use that along with specialty grains, but it's not necessarily straightforward.  Different dark malts have different colors and different flavors. So you need to pick the right ones to get the color and flavor you want. And you steep separately. 

From what you've been posting, I agree with Rick.  You're trying to streetcar a bit too far. If your LHBS had dark dme or dark lme, use that. If not, either change your recipe or buy the dme from Mr beer. 

• Like 1

That's the oldest (and best) advice on the forum. Start slow. Make a few batches as is to get the process down. Then experiment with additions and modifications.

Thanks, all. I was afraid that was the case, and I think I caught a bit too much excitement and confidence. I suppose this one will have to wait!

Could not wait until tonight - lol.

Mmm -  Brew-together "Black and Tan"  - tried first today  - gentle floral aromas and complex maltiness with a hint of darkness without the bitterness of stout.  A "make again".

No extreme bitterness despite 1 oz total hop addition late. Cascade was much more pronounced. I will try again with newer hops, too. I had had these stored for a while.

See above post for recipe. BTW the LME malt comes in 3.3 lb container (smallest), I added splosh of vodka to sterilize while storing the rest.

Black Nd TAn20160131_132255.jpg

• Like 1

OK, I got work to do on this one. I just bought a pack of Yuengling Black and Tan which originally gave me the idea t compare. It is much darker and has a delightful nose of coffee and hint of chocolate. Other than that (small stuff - lol) general impression of taste and mouth feel, sweetness etc. is similar.

I think it will need some grain to do that not just extract. The hops and the flavor from Porter LME seem good enough. 

I do have some chocolate and pale chocolate mix grain (2 oz each) but maybe I need just choc?