Mr.Beer Community
bill cm

sugar amounts

I am getting ready to bottle my first batch of cider.  Instructions call for 2 1/2 TSP Liter/quart, 3/4  TSP for 12 ounce, 1 TSP for 16 ounce.  I am using the 750 ml bottles.....how much sugar??

22 hours ago, RickBeer said:

sugar.png

Doing the math based on looking at the carb drop packet, somehow I had come up with 1 drop per 12 oz bottle...Since I loaded up 2 LBKs in 12 oz glass bottles (and I'm sure some were the euro/metric 11.2 oz) with one carb drop each, am I going to have a scene of carnage when these things start carbonating or just extra fizzy beer? If it's likely to cause trouble, is there a relatively easy to remedy the situation before I lose a bunch of beer?

Hijacking this thread cuz that what I do. Anyone disagree with one drop and half a sugar cube for a 22 oz bottle of Amber? Cubes are 4 grams. 

I find carb drops don't cut perfectly in my pill cutter cuz they're more of a tear drop shape and don't split evenly. 

19 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I use one drop per 12 oz bottle. Never had a problem. Is that what you're asking?

Yes, precisely...Thanks!

Are the Coopers brand drops the same as the Mr. Beer drops? Anybody know? They're surely made at the same place, but are they different size? The Coopers drops say 1 per 12 oz, but the Mr. Beer branded ones say less. Any chance that the Mr. Beer kit drops are bigger than the standard  Coopers drops?

5 minutes ago, J A said:

yes...precisely. Are the Coopers brand drops the same as the Mr. Beer drops? Anybody know? They're surely made at the same place, but are they different size? The Coopers drops say 1 per 12 oz, but the Mr. Beer branded ones say less. Any chance that the Mr. Beer kit drops are bigger than the standard  Coopers drops?

I saw a video on YouTube last night where the dude put 3 muntons drops in a 12 oz bottle. I was like "DONT DO THAT!!!!!!" Then I realized he can't hear me and they must be smaller. 

I bought some mangrove Jack drops and I've been using them the same as mr beers. One would assume coopers would be the same eh? 

5 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

One would assume coopers would be the same eh? 

One would, indeed...If you've specifically used the Mr. Beer branded drops at that rate, I'll rest easier. :unsure:

When in doubt,  read the bag.  It should tell you how much each drop weighs.  If not,  divide total bag weight by number of drops. 

For example,  250g / 60 drops = 4 grams per drop. 

Mr.  Beer has 72g / 22 drops = 3.27 grams per drop. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

When in doubt,  read the bag.  It should tell you how much each drop weighs.  If not,  divide total bag weight by number of drops. 

I thought of that, but I looked quite a bit and couldn't find a specific weight for the bag. I looked some more and finally found an image that showed the Coopers at 250 grams. At 80 drops per package, that seems to be approximately the same as the Mr. Beer...Makes sense.

On 2/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, J A said:

Doing the math based on looking at the carb drop packet, somehow I had come up with 1 drop per 12 oz bottle...Since I loaded up 2 LBKs in 12 oz glass bottles (and I'm sure some were the euro/metric 11.2 oz) with one carb drop each, am I going to have a scene of carnage when these things start carbonating or just extra fizzy beer? If it's likely to cause trouble, is there a relatively easy to remedy the situation before I lose a bunch of beer?

Well? Was it like the Valentine's day massacre of beer bottles exploding everywhere? Oh the humanity! 

Or no problem? I just started my LBK yesterday, but trying to read and learn. The instructions say to use 3/4 of a carbo drop for 12 oz bottle.  How in the world do you cut off 1/4 of this little piece of candy? Several people said they use 1 drop per 12 oz. Are sugar cubes the same size as carbon drops?

Thanks

You use a pill splitter.

As far as sugar cubes, you need to read the box.  All sugar cubes are not the same size.

Or you can use common table sugar like you put in your coffee.

I haven't opened any to see if they're fully carbonated, but I'll pop one of each batch this weekend and I expect they are ( at least 2 weeks in the bottle). So far, though no surprises. 

They may be more carbonated than one would prefer for some styles, but basic American style beers shouldn't suffer from a few bubbles.

I carbonated another batch the same way, and no problems there, either. Unless I get evidence to the contrary, it's "drop 'em and top 'em" as far as I'm concerned. :)

I use the sugar cubes, get the ones that are 198 to the 1 lb box. They fit into the PET and 12 oz glass bottle necks.

They are easy to measure. I use 2 for 500ml, 3 for 750 ml and 4 for 1L.   12 oz is 355 ml so 1 should be OK but I don't use them much and they can burst if overpressured.

• Like 2

Just opened 3 bottles...all carbed beautifully. Maybe a little much for some styles, but for these CAL-based beers...perfect!

• Like 1

Classic American Light...the stuff that comes with most standard Mr Beer kits. It can be brewed on it's own or as a base for several recipes. The first 6 batches I brewed started with the CAL refill as a base ingredient. 

On 2/19/2016 at 8:58 AM, Broox said:

Well? Was it like the Valentine's day massacre of beer bottles exploding everywhere? Oh the humanity! 

Or no problem? I just started my LBK yesterday, but trying to read and learn. The instructions say to use 3/4 of a carbo drop for 12 oz bottle.  How in the world do you cut off 1/4 of this little piece of candy? Several people said they use 1 drop per 12 oz. Are sugar cubes the same size as carbon drops?

Thanks

Thought I'd update.

I put a couple of Horse's Ass Ales in the fridge and had them last night. The 1 carb drop per 12 oz bottle wasn't a problem with bottle-bombs, but is definitely too fizzy for that beer. It still needs some age on it and the flavor is good and not too light tasting, but it's thin-bodied from the honey addition and the extra carbonation doesn't suit it. It was better pouring quickly into a larger glass and letting it head up vigorously and breathe for a minute, but bigger bottles for the carb drops is definitely in order.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J A said:

Thought I'd update.

I put a couple of Horse's Ass Ales in the fridge and had them last night. The 1 carb drop per 12 oz bottle wasn't a problem with bottle-bombs, but is definitely too fizzy for that beer. It still needs some age on it and the flavor is good and not too light tasting, but it's thin-bodied from the honey addition and the extra carbonation doesn't suit it. It was better pouring quickly into a larger glass and letting it head up vigorously and breathe for a minute, but bigger bottles for the carb drops is definitely in order.

Thanks for the update!  Seems like carbonation is a personal taste thing. I think sugar amounts are something I might experiment with when I bottle. Not mad scientist, but careful, intentional experimenter.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, J A said:

Thought I'd update.

If you have them in the PET bottles, open each one briefly to let the fizz out, then close it (do this while they are cold). Do this a few times over a few hours and you will lower the carbonation.

23 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

If you have them in the PET bottles, open each one briefly to let the fizz out, then close it (do this while they are cold). Do this a few times over a few hours and you will lower the carbonation.

12 oz glass...stuck with the fizz. Like I said, it works better if poured fast and let to sit a minute. Does seem like an advantage of the PET bottles, as a matter of fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broox said:

I think sugar amounts are something I might experiment with when I bottle. Not mad scientist, but careful, intentional experimenter.

There are charts for estimating volumes of CO2 from amounts of sugar. Once batch priming is undertaken, all the guesswork goes away. The carb drops are really convenient and I can see keeping a supply on hand, but I'd stick to pints or 22 oz bottles when I use them again.