Mr.Beer Community

Since the LBK doesn't have a air lock and has slits in the lid to release, would it not allow air to reenter after the first week high Krausen. Wouldn't  opening the lid after 14 days or whenever to add hops or wood chips introduce air that you are trying to keep out?

CO2 is heavier than O2. So it forms a protective layer over beer. Adding things to a fermenter could conceivably introduce oxygen, whether you're using the LBK or a fermenter with an airlock.

• Like 1

The LBK works because what we're worried about can't walk, crawl,  or fly. It can only fall, and as you can't fall up(I know, I've tried) the LBK lid works fine.

When you add things,  you don't dawdle.  Open lid,  add,  close lid.  Leave it open too long and yes, air will enter and you may get an infection. 

Opening the LBK to take pictures is about the dumbest thing a new brewer can do, unfortunately new brewers often do it because they don't know better. 

• Like 1

It would seem to me that after the Krausen it may be less likely than during. Reason being many people siphon to a second fermenter which not only is an open container no matter how well you transfer you are adding oxygen. Not denying what you said just trying to wrap my head around the process. 

Very few brewers now use secondary fermentation.  There are reasons to use it but only for more advanced beers with additions which are done in a secondary or for extended bulk conditioning.

As Jim said, the items that we are concerned about can't fall up.  Also the LBK protects the beer from oxidation because of the layer of CO2.

• Like 1

Enter Louis Pasteur and the goose-neck-flask. To paraphrase "A cry of ""Save Our Wine!"" went up from all of France" and he did.