Mr.Beer Community
tatertodd

not sure whats wrong

first time brewing , I did an Aztec brew and did not get the foamy head that I think I should have, actually didn't get one at all. I have good carbonation and the brew tastes good.  what did I do wrong if anything?

There are people with way more experience than me on here, but I'm going to say that if you're happy with the finished product, you didn't do anything wrong.

• Like 2

You did nothing wrong.

Mr. Beer refills in general have little head.  You can either steep some Carapils or Carafoam when you're ready to start steeping grains, or you can add a wheat LME pouch to each batch.  Or, just enjoy it as is.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the input.  I am enjoying making my own beer and look forward to expanding the process but only with help from the Mr. Beer community.

The basic MrBeer refills will not normally generate much of a head.  Fortunately, this is an easy "problem" to resolve, as RickBeer indicated above.  You can simply add more malt; in particular, a pouch of MrBeer's Golden LME (Liquid Malt Extract) will go a long way toward improving mouthfeel and head generation and retention.  Another way is to steep some grains that are rich in dextrine, which will help give you that foamy head you desire.  These grains are often named "cara-" something, the most popular being carapils and carafoam.  This is not difficult to do.  Put 4 oz of crushed carapils into a muslin sack and steep in 4 cups of hot water for 20-30 minutes.  Then remove the sack, bring the water to a boil, and proceed with the regular MrB instructions.

These grains are available at your local homebrew store (or LHBS, as we say around here), and the folks there will almost certainly crush them for you at no extra charge.  They are very inexpensive; my LHBS sells carapils for $1.79/pound.  I use it in every beer I brew.  More good news:  per JoshR, MrBeer will soon be selling these and other grains, making it easy to acquire them at the same time you buy your refills.

Welcome to home brewing and to these forums.  You have embarked on a very rewarding journey.

• Like 3

Rick and Mike are right about steeping (in most cases.)  But I steep for every batch and occasionally get a batch with poor foam.

Thanks everyone.  I have an LHBS near me , I will get some of the carapils or carafoam and give it try.               

2 hours ago, gophers6 said:

Rick and Mike are right about steeping (in most cases.)  But I steep for every batch and occasionally get a batch with poor foam.

Please note that lumping Spartans and Wolverines together like that is not acceptable behavior!  :P

But seriously folks ... I should point out that gophers is correct.  Steeping usually, but not always, produces good foam ... something I should have mentioned in my earlier post.

I wholeheartedly agree that Spartans and Wolverines should not be lumped together.  And a Wolverine is smart enough not to give praise to a freakin' Gopher!  

I would like to give an update.  I used the carafoam as instructed and the results were perfect.  this last batch was the best to date. thanks to all

• Like 4