Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rickrd

Newb questions

Ok, been reading a ton on here. Thanks to all for the info. I'm an early addict at all of this and its really got my interest to get better at it.

Anyways.

The gist I get is to wait 3 weeks before bottling.

I'm now at day 14. OG was 1.044. Took a SG reading about 5 days ago and it was 1.014.

Took one today and its 1.011. Yes, I read to not waste so I taste it. Tastes pretty good! Like a beer should!

Its Muntons Premium Canadian Style Beer ME which I brewed to make 2.5 gallons.

It doesn't look like anything's going on in the tank bubble wise, like it was initially. Should I be seeing any foam or anything?

Is there an SG I should aim for? like 1.004 I think I read? or just wait another week, take a reading and bottle away.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Rick

Welcome to the forums, Rick.  I'm still pretty new at this, but I'm sure someone w/a lot more know-how will be along soon to help you out.  Happy Brewing! :)

• Like 1

Thanks Anthony. My only regret is I didn't start learning this earlier in life. At 51 I still can brew my fair share I think. It's really is cool though. So much to learn!

• Like 3

It truly is a lot of fun.  It's such a feeling of accomplishment when you sit down and have a bottle of something that you brewed.  It's even crazier when you realize that you are getting a nice buzz off of your beer!  Once you get the technique down, then the real fun begins--coming up with your own recipes.   You definitely started at a good time b/c of the new offerings with grains.  Have fun with this; it's VERY rewarding!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rickrd said:

Ok, been reading a ton on here. Thanks to all for the info. I'm an early addict at all of this and its really got my interest to get better at it.

Anyways.

The gist I get is to wait 3 weeks before bottling.

I'm now at day 14. OG was 1.044. Took a SG reading about 5 days ago and it was 1.014.

Took one today and its 1.011. Yes, I read to not waste so I taste it. Tastes pretty good! Like a beer should!

Its Muntons Premium Canadian Style Beer ME which I brewed to make 2.5 gallons.

It doesn't look like anything's going on in the tank bubble wise, like it was initially. Should I be seeing any foam or anything?

Is there an SG I should aim for? like 1.004 I think I read? or just wait another week, take a reading and bottle away.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Rick

Pulls up on Untappd as 5% ABV, youre at approx 4% so based on that Id say you have a week to go yet.

Basically, 14 days is too early to bottle ever.  The most I would rush things is 18 days fermenting and 3 days cold crashing and then bottling. 

Take your time and be patient.  It will make the difference of you brewing beer thats barely drinkable vs beer that you have to hide from your friends cuz you make the best damn beer in town!!!

• Like 1

Wait 21 days to allow the yeast to cleanup.

Munton's Premium Canadian Style HME requires you to add sugar, ideally in the form of DME or LME, designed to make 5 or 6 gallons. Brewed as 2.5 gallon without added DME or LME it will be very different.  Cannot go by any posted ABV either.  You won'the see much activity after the first week.  

Using a program like QBrew, one can see that a 3.3 lb can of that HME would yield an OG of 1.048, IBU of 24, and SRM of 5.  FG could be around 1.012 based on the 25% guideline, but yours could come in a bit higher or lower - but it's not going to get down to 1.004 unless you used a very high attenuating yeast.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Exactly... after the 1st week I did not see any more action and things settled down.

In regards to the HME, I picked it up at the local homebrew store and followed her instructions. She told me it was ready to go for 2.5 gallons and I didn't need to add anything. I asked that specifically. I have read what you are saying about the sugar addition so I'm leery about what I'm going to end up with.

When in doubt, read the can.  Some HMEs require no additions (all Mr. Beer HMEs and some others).  Some come in 2 can packs, and you use both cans.  Some come as one can, and the directions often say to add 2 - 3 pounds of "sugar".  LME or DME replacing that sugar is best.

I based my answer on the description you gave of what you brewed, comes up as one 3.3 lb can.

• Like 1