Recipe Color   10° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.8%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
6.00 lb   Two-row (US)   Grain   Mashed
0.50 lb   CaraPils - [Body, Head]   Grain   Mashed
3.30 lb   Briess LME - Rye   Extract   Extract
3.30 lb   Briess LME - Pilsen Light   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
1.00 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Sorachi Ace - Spicy, herbal hop with a hint of citrus. Can be used as both a bittering and aroma hop   Pellet   40 minutes
1.00 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   20 minutes
0.50 oz   Sorachi Ace - Spicy, herbal hop with a hint of citrus. Can be used as both a bittering and aroma hop   Pellet   10 minutes
1.00 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   5 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast   Yeast   American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

This looks interesting, I really like Rye IPAs. One question though. The Amarillo hops are listed as flavor with low alpha acids and the Sorachi Ace are listed as dual purpose with higher alpha acids. 

Wouldn't the Sorachi Ace be better used as the 60 minute boil and the Amarillo for the late bittering/flavor boil? I'm in no way knocking the recipe or the finished beer, I'm just curious. 

30 minutes ago, sabres032 said:

This looks interesting, I really like Rye IPAs. One question though. The Amarillo hops are listed as flavor with low alpha acids and the Sorachi Ace are listed as dual purpose with higher alpha acids. 

Wouldn't the Sorachi Ace be better used as the 60 minute boil and the Amarillo for the late bittering/flavor boil? I'm in no way knocking the recipe or the finished beer, I'm just curious. 

I agree with you,  I have 2 different list of hops and they both say Amarillo is an Aroma hop.  However in the notes it says can be used as both bittering and Aroma.  So I figure if most use it for aroma, then ill use it for Bittering, cuz thats what I do.  Breaking the molds. But from my understanding any addition for longer than 35 minutes is still a bittering addition.

Basically I have a lb of 8 different hops and I need to find uses for them... The struggle is real

• Like 1

I was just curious. Reading posts from the senior brewers and brew masters, use the higher alpha hops for bittering and the lower alpha acids hops for flavor and aroma. 

Let us know how this recipe turns out. I'm very interested. 

Next weekend I think Ill try to turn out 3 batches.  For Sure out of the recipes I posted last night I plan on making the Holy Hoppy Hell and the Slim Dorilldo.  Ill have my brew buddy there too so so maybe he can brew up this one "Lazy Left Rye" while im in the driveway working with my new Dark Star 2.0 outdoor cooker.  Supposed to be in the 40's here in a week.  Compared to the single digits weve had all this weekend

• Like 1

Interesting recipe. I used the Breiss Rye LME for a Rye ESB recipe last fall, and was not happy with it. Turned out very hot & spicy for me. Based on some guidance from other users here, if I were to make that one again I'd steep flaked rye to better control the impact.

I don't get the hop schedule - I think you're wasting Amarillo as a bittering addition. Bitter is bitter IMO, and you could substitute a cheaper hop (Magnum) and get the same effect. I think you'll get more from your Amarillo as a late addition.

Good luck!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 209Hill said:

Interesting recipe. I used the Breiss Rye LME for a Rye ESB recipe last fall, and was not happy with it. Turned out very hot & spicy for me. Based on some guidance from other users here, if I were to make that one again I'd steep flaked rye to better control the impact.

I don't get the hop schedule - I think you're wasting Amarillo as a bittering addition. Bitter is bitter IMO, and you could substitute a cheaper hop (Magnum) and get the same effect. I think you'll get more from your Amarillo as a late addition.

Good luck!

^^^I agree with everything said here.

I currently have a rye IPA fermenting now. Just used flaked rye and some 2-row (without the 2-row for starch conversion, the rye is useless as it has 0 enzymes), late-hopped and dry-hopped with Citra. "Dry River Rye", it's called. Coming soon... ;)