Mr.Beer Community
Bighead beer

Don't want to mention names but B.B.

Let me start by saying I like the Mr beer crew and in no way shape or form would I try to dismerch their name,customer service here is awesome, with that being said, B.B. has a kits that makes a 5gl batch for the same price as a Mr beer kit that makes 2, now I've always shop for a good deal,and quality matters a great deal also, why can't Mr beer seell a 5 gl kit to compete with B.B. price and quality?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bighead beer said:

Let me start by saying I like the Mr beer crew and in no way shape or form would I try to dismerch their name,customer service here is awesome, with that being said, B.B. has a kits that makes a 5gl batch for the same price as a Mr beer kit that makes 2, now I've always shop for a good deal,and quality matters a great deal also, why can't Mr beer seell a 5 gl kit to compete with B.B. price and quality?

Elephant in the room....

• Like 1

Sir Kenneth blonde makes 2 gals for $29.99

morebeer! Hop Blonde PM extract kit makes 5 gallons for $24.99

6 gal MB CAL refill, $47

finally someone points this out... 

• Like 1

Talk about the elephant in the room...  okay I have to ask.  Who the heck is B.B.?  PM me if you hAve to.  :huh:

• Like 1

Because "B.B." sells all-grain kits, not extract. Grain is naturally cheaper than extract, but it also takes 8 hours to make a batch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

brewer's best

I was assuming B.B. = Brooklyn Brew shop. Brewers Best 5 gallon ingredient kits are $30-$60. This is about the same as our prices for the 6 gallon kits. But our malt extract is made by Coopers and is the best quality extract on the market. They've been making extract longer than anyone else.

• Like 4

Brewers Best is also expensive. I was given a 1 gal kit of Red Ale which is actually quite nice, but it sells for around $20 - the MR beer makes 2 gal for about the same price.

Going to 5 gal is more economical of course. But Mr B is optimized for 2 gal.

Look at Cooper's e.g. their 5 (or 6?)  gal kits (same manufacturer) are from $39 to $48 depending on how strong they are.   Compare Apples to Apples.

• Like 1

And..........if you build in the extra labor for all grain, even at minimum wage...........there you go - lol.

I suppose you could argue a labor of love does not count :-)

• Like 1

Even with LHBS bulk ingredients, the more you want out of the beer, the more it's going to cost. Higher OG = more fermentables = more money. Increased hop complexity = more 1-oz package = more money. More mouth-feel and head retention = more and higher-quality steeping grains = more money. More specialized yeast flavor=liquid yeast=more money.

I found that I can fill an LBK with a simple DME/LME, respectable session beer for about $13. That's using part of a big bag of DME, least expensive hops, splitting a pack of dry yeast, etc. A big, malty amber ale or IPA will cost at least $20 to fill the same amount of beer and a monster stout or Imperial will go much higher. And that doesn't include any sanitizer or priming sugar, instructions, proven success rate, etc.

What Mr. Beer offers may not be perfect for every brewer, but it really seems like a reasonable product for small-scale brewing. The shipping cost adds a chunk, but that's the same for anything on the internet.

• Like 5

I have to agree with the shipping cost , shoooo weeeeeeeeee that's the killer,and please peeps don't misunderstand me,I like the Mr beer crew,and this forum is great,I'm just always shopping for the best deal so I can pass it on to others who helped me.

• Like 3

Seen cheaper kits. And i even moved to 5 gallon kits. But i love mr beer kits. Until i cn clone bewitched amber. Mr beer will continue to gt money from me. Cause thats my favorite beer. 

Also i enjoy the quick 2 gallon batch is nice betweem big batches i do now.

• Like 2

I will second the comment that the MRB crew is second to none - very helpful and friendly.  If I did make the jump to a 5 gallon kit I would hope that I could one day get it through MRB.

I may be in the minority here but I like the 2 gallon MRB kits because I'm the only beer drinker in the house and, even with friends trying out a brew, 5 gallons is a lot to go through.  Also, 2 gallon brews allow me to brew more often and try new recipes.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, DeanoG said:

I will second the comment that the MRB crew is second to none - very helpful and friendly.  If I did make the jump to a 5 gallon kit I would hope that I could one day get it through MRB.

I may be in the minority here but I like the 2 gallon MRB kits because I'm the only beer drinker in the house and, even with friends trying out a brew, 5 gallons is a lot to go through.  Also, 2 gallon brews allow me to brew more often and try new recipes.

Just my 2 cents.

Same situation here exactly, plus I can easily carry 2 gal between kitchen and basement - cant carry 5 gal. (Don't eat enough Wheaties.)

• Like 3

Never thought of the transport issue. Good point if you brew in the kitchen and ferment in the basement. 

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Same situation here exactly, plus I can easily carry 2 gal between kitchen and basement - cant carry 5 gal. (Don't eat enough Wheaties.)

I continue to use my two LBKs too. Since I am a widower with four grown children living in different states, anything more than two gallons at a time and I might run out of places to keep all that conditioning beer. 

I work a stressful job with highly variable hours so I place a very high value on my time. I have done PM beers and LOVED the results, but I've only made a few, because 4-6 hours is a lot of time to give up when you have a small child. But I can do a MrB with mods or extract+hops batch easily in less than 2 hours.

I brew beer because I love the process. I refuse to make beer and feel rushed about it. This is a hobby, my job is hard enough.

• Like 4

LOL flyweights...I've upgraded to 7.3 gal ale pails so I can get 6 gallons at bottling. And STILL production is just barely ahead of consumption.:lol:

However all kidding aside I don't like the pain meds VA gives me(makes me sick) I'd rather get Sh*t faced so I can sleep. Thankfully I don't seem to get hangovers with home brews...maybe it's the yeast content.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

6 gallons at bottling

How often are you doing big batches?

I've filled 3 LBKs 4 times in the last 5 weeks to get the pipeline full. I have a lot of beers to try and recipes to evaluate, but I definitely want to slow down and pay more attention to methods and more complex recipes. I think I'll work up another couple of simple small beers next week, because I can re-pitch some yeast, but I want to work out BIAB all-grain and get into a big Scotch ale, monster IPA and big lagers.

right now 2 big then an LBK, but I need a heater in the chamber. in a month or so it'll be 2 LBKs till nov/dec when the heater goes back in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

LOL flyweights...I've upgraded to 7.3 gal ale pails so I can get 6 gallons at bottling. And STILL production is just barely ahead of consumption.:lol:

However all kidding aside I don't like the pain meds VA gives me(makes me sick) I'd rather get Sh*t faced so I can sleep. Thankfully I don't seem to get hangovers with home brews...maybe it's the yeast content.

i'm working for the 10 gallon per recipe mark, bcuz i'm just guzzling that 5 gallon beer way too fast! I finally bought sum quality liquor store beer, and absolutely no comparasion to the flavor of homebrew

• Like 2