Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
clcowboysc

Valentine's Day Surprise

My wife surprised me today with an Azteca Refill for Valentine's Day! I guess we'll try to make that one up next or April to have it ready for Cinco de Mayo. Thank you very much Tiff. Love you very much!

Anyone tried mixing the Azteca with tequila?

Thanks

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, clcowboysc said:

My wife surprised me today with an Azteca Refill for Valentine's Day! I guess we'll try to make that one up next or April to have it ready for Cinco de Mayo. Thank you very much Tiff. Love you very much!

Anyone tried mixing the Azteca with tequila?

Thanks

Agave!!!! Dos Equis Azul is top 10 for me

Start it now to be ready for May. Conditioning time is important. Great to have a spouse that knows what you want!

• Like 1

The Aztec was the second beer I brewed. Honestly I found no difference between the CAL and the Aztec. They both had the same color, aroma and no matter how long I let those two beers condition, they still tasted like green apples. If you were to do anything, look at the recipe section of the Mr. Beer site to see what's available to mix with the Aztec. Mr. Beer's recipes and seasonal craft kits have a far better taste. 

• Like 1

How much booster or sugar did you add? What was the temperature when you fermented? Green apple taste can be reduced by reducing sugar adjuncts and fermentation temperature. Let the beers fully condition for a month or more.

10 hours ago, Brian N. said:

How much booster or sugar did you add? What was the temperature when you fermented? Green apple taste can be reduced by reducing sugar adjuncts and fermentation temperature. Let the beers fully condition for a month or more.

Both kits were brewed straight up, no adjuncts added. Let them both condition for six weeks at ~70 in brown glass bottles packed inside Sam Adams 12 pack boxes. Last CAL I drank was 12 weeks conditioning and the last Aztec was at 10 weeks, both still had a strong apple cider taste. 

Now all the Mr. Beer craft refill and recipe brews have come out excellent. Even some of the recipes I've put together myself have come out good. 

Edit: the CAL was fermented in my basement with the ambient temperature at 67. The Aztec was fermented in a cooler, temp prob taped to the LBK and covered with a cloth, and ice packs rotated to maintain 65 degrees. Sanatazion and bottling process was the same for both. 

I've done the Aztec with a robust LME, really liked the added flavor, but it did get quite a bit darker.