Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Question - Holding Fermenting Temp

Hello!

A question - as I seek to improve my brewing, one glaring error from my first batches was pitching yeast too hot (I was not following the Mr. Beer instructions of using COLD water and the wort) and not paying enough attention to temp during fermentation.

For this last batch I tried to get it right. Pitched yeast using Mr. Beer directions. Seemed right because keg temp registered around 65. Also trying to keep the temp in that range during these first days of fermentation by swapping out frozen water bottles. (It seems like three is the magic number right now.)

My question - I think I've read that this is most important during the initial days of fermentation.....do I need to keep actively working to hold fermenting temp in the 65 to 68 range through the full three weeks? Or after the first days (maybe first week) just let what happens happens?

My issue is everything getting too hot. My garage is an oven in hell....

I mean, there really is not a problem swapping water bottles. It is just one more thing to do in the morning and evening......but if it doesn't matter after a few days then it also doesn't matter.

Thank you for any thoughts and help!

• Like 1

Keep fermentation temps at constant range during all of fermentation. this will improve the quality of your brew and help to eliminate any off flavors. Your yeast will love you for this as they don't like wide temp swings and will help produce a quality beer.

• Like 4

Cool - here is what I am taking from this -

Holding temp at the lower end is VERY important, especially in the first few days.

The thing is that if you do not hold it low the first few days, it is not like lowering later can make up for that. But this doesn't mean you can just forget about it during the last week or two...

Right.  If you're in a 100 degree garage, it's critical that you not let it exceed low 70s even in the 2nd and 3rd week.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Right.  If you're in a 100 degree garage, it's critical that you not let it exceed low 70s even in the 2nd and 3rd week.  

As far as I can tell so far it is just a matter of discipline and enough water/ice bottles. I am thinking if I swap them AM and PM all will be well....I may have to move up from three to four bottles...and thinking MAYBE two wet towels...one on the bottom, one covering the top and sides. But in terms of actual work/effort all the same.