Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwulf1974

Brown sugar and Porter

Hey all,

I'm going to be batch priming a 5 gallon batch of Robust Porter in the next few weeks and was considering using brown sugar vs. regular sugar.  Being as this is a darker beer, would the brown sugar provide a different complexity in the finished beer?  Has anyone used brown sugar in a porter and if so, how did it turn out?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Brown sugar will leave behind the molasses flavor without the sugar.  Think black licorice.  

• Like 2

Yep, black licorice with some possible rum notes. Not bad in a porter if you ask me. Just don't overdo it. No more than 1 cup in a 2 gallon batch.

I despise black licorice flavors.  Tried Bell's Kalamazoo Stout.  Drank one, gave the other 5 to my son.  BLECH!

Yeah, I'm not into black licorice either, but I don't mind it when it's very subtle or in concert with other flavors.

Well I think I'll just use standard priming sugar then.  Wasn't trying to mess with something that isn't broke, but just thought about it being this is a darker beer.  While I don't mind licorice, the last thing I want is regret after brewing a very tasty 5 gallon batch. 

Thanks guys!

Oh, you're referring to priming sugar. Brown sugar won't add any flavors at all when priming. No sugar will.

25 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Oh, you're referring to priming sugar. Brown sugar won't add any flavors at all when priming. No sugar will.

Ya, that was my question.  I had no idea if using brown sugar vs. regular sugar would have made a difference, or if it did, hence the reason I was asking.  I should have clarified my initial question.  Well, now I know.  :D

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I despise black licorice flavors.  Tried Bell's Kalamazoo Stout.  Drank one, gave the other 5 to my son.  BLECH!

Gawd I love black licorice. When I was a kid we had Black Jack chewing gum. Yum!

• Like 1

Me too!  I used to love that on Easter my brother and sister would give me all of their black jelly beans!!!

• Like 1