Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PWM14

Help!

I am making my first batch of Octoberfest.  I was creating the wort and added 4 cups of cold water to pot.  I wanted to make beer stronger so I added a cup of white sugar and a good squeeze of honey.  I stirred until it dissolved and then added syrup before waiting for it to come to a boil. I stirred as I poured in syrup and then brought it to a boil then added to keg.  Directions say to bring water to boil then turn off heat then add syrup.  Will boiling the syrup  cause any problems? As soon as it came to a boil I poured it in keg.  My plan is 6 weeks to drink and I don't want to waste that amount of time if boiling wort messed everything up.  Also, will the cup of sugar and 2 tbsp of honey increase abv (if I didn't screw up the wort)? 

Any advice would be appreciated..

They advise you to take the pot off the heat because the extract may scorch on the bottom when you add it if you don't stir fast enough.

As long as your syrup did not scorch you are just fine!

• Like 1

The sugar will lower the quality of the Oktoberfest.  Honey was wasted, you will get no taste from it. Sugar will raise the ABV and dry out the beer.

Next time add nothing and follow the directions. ;)

• Like 4

Only one way to really find out...and in six weeks you will know!!!!

• Like 1

BUT.....resist the urge to add sugar....to add ANYTHING just to increase ABV. It messes up the flavor....causes green apple tastes that takes forever to age out....etc. etc.

• Like 1

You're not supposed to boil the HME. Boiling will change the hop profile. It's already been done for you.

Since I added sugar should I allow to sit in keg longer? In the instructions it said to add 1.5 cups of sugar to increase ABV.  Will I still need to add sugar at bottling to prime since I added extra sugar? 

I am not aware of Mr. Beer instructions that say to add 1.5 cups of sugar.

Anything added to the wort has zero impact on bottling sugar, so, yes you will need to add sugar to your bottles.

3 weeks in the fermenter, 4+ weeks (probably 8 due to adding the sugar).

• Like 1

The best way to raise the ABV of beer without changing the flavor -

Have two shots of bourbon before you start drinking your beer. 

• Like 4

I don't brew for the ABV but for the flavor. I am more interested in discovering which brews pair well with what foods. One of my favorite shows on TV is "Beer Geeks."

Better to have drinkable-tasty beer at 4.3%, then to have undrinkable swill at 6.0%.  I will say this...  Do not add the recommended amount of sugar to your bottles when you carbonate your Oktoberfest.  If you do it will SUCK!  It'll have the mouth feel of champagne. 

• Like 2

Here are pics of the Mr Beer book that talks about adding sugar to increase ABV..

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

That tells you the amount of alcohol you will get if you did add a certain amount of sugar. It's a learning tool - not instructions. None of our instructions tell you to add sugar unless it's in a particular recipe, such as a Belgian ale. Also, that book is way out of date. Our cans are no longer 1.21 lbs. They are 1.87 lbs. Which means, there's no need for extra sugar to boost ABV. And if you do want more ABV, add malt extract, not sugar. Keep in mind that beer isn't made from cane sugar or honey, it's made from malt extract. The more sugar, honey, or other non-malt adjunct you add, the less the final product will be beer.

• Like 4

If you do, Josh will have to ban you from the forum.  Pouring out beer until one determines it is physically impossible to consume is a violation against humanity.

You will have beer.  Not as good as you would have had, but you will have beer.  Wait 21 days from the start, fermenting in the mid-60s if possible, then bottle for 28 days, then put ONE in the frig for 3 days and taste it.  It won't be great, now add one every week and wait 3 days (put it in on Weds, drink on Saturday) and you will learn how beer gets better over time (in most cases).  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Pouring out beer until one determines it is physically impossible to consume is a violation against humanity.

Those calls when people are letting us know they dumped out their beer, and it turns out there was no reason to (there almost never is), are just heartbreaking.

• Like 1

That's because you handle them wrong (see below).

Many years ago I worked at a company tied to the financial industry.  During a huge market downturn, people called and said "I sold my stuff yesterday, and now the market is back up.  Can I get my money back"?  Answer "you didn't LOSE MONEY until you sold the stock.  Had you left it alone, it would be fine today".

This is MRB Tim on the phone the other day talking to a customer that dumped their beer...

WHAT DO  YOU MEAN YOU DUMPED OUT YOUR BEER, ARE YOU FREAKIN' CRAZY?screaming-over-the-phone.jpgWHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO NOW, POUR IT BACK IN?

Note to Tim - brush better on those bottom teeth buddy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PWM14 said:

Should I pour it out and start over?

:blink:

You're going to have better beer than a lot of stuff you would buy for good money. You won't know exactly what the original recipe is supposed to taste like, but you'll have an enjoyable beer. Just let it roll and bottle it...you're not going to hate it by any means.

A recipe calculation shows that you probably kicked up the ABV by 1.25 percent or so. 

Next time, just start with a recipe that does what you want.

• Like 1

Keep the fermentation temperatures in check (68 deg F max if you can) and let if ferment the full 3 weeks. Prime the bottles as usual, and let them sit for a month. You will have beer.

BTW - RickBeer  and Tim, judging from your pictures, you are both too young to drink or even be on the forum. Old bald guys rule!

• Like 3

None of those are my pictures, whereas here is yours...  I am old, but not bald...  :lol:

telly-savalas-dirtydozen-7.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

too young to drink or even be on the forum

Old enough to party, man

2 hours ago, PWM14 said:

Should I pour it out and start over?

Don't pour it out. The worse case scenario is that it will still be good to cook with. ;)

• Like 1

Now wait a minute, PWM14 had an old instruction book referencing the old size cans.

If he used an old sized can - then some added fermentable WAS needed even to get the 3-4% beer but less than if he had used a new can.

So to advise accurately, we need to know what size can he actually had.

Was it 1.21 or 1.87 lb?

If the smaller older style, the can may be a little old too and the beer a little darker than expected. Hopefully though  the taste will still be OK, but not as good as a new fresh one.

Still, I have made beer form the older smaller cans and it turned out quite drinkable so no panic needed. Wait it out & see.

But best to use the 1.87 lb or Craft/Seasonal cans next time :-)

• Like 1

That's a good point.

If it looked like this it will taste like garbage as it's way too old: 

Old Octoberfest.jpg

If it looked like this is should be fine, with the "buts" we noted: 

10-11964-00_product_8ulw_2.png

• Like 2

I knew my wife married a handsome man - but he does not look like me (bazinga). Excuse me while I hit the gym. Truthfully - I've been married 28 years, and she enjoys the beers I make. Her favorite was the American Ale. So to our new brewers, keep at it, and don't be surprised when some one says that your beers are very good.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian N. said:

don't be surprised when some one says that your beers are very good.

Even if you don't like it yourself. At first, you think they're just being nice until they start asking for more. ;)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Now wait a minute, PWM14 had an old instruction book referencing the old size cans.

If he used an old sized can - then some added fermentable WAS needed even to get the 3-4% beer but less than if he had used a new can.

So to advise accurately, we need to know what size can he actually had.

Was it 1.21 or 1.87 lb?

If the smaller older style, the can may be a little old too and the beer a little darker than expected. Hopefully though  the taste will still be OK, but not as good as a new fresh one.

Still, I have made beer form the older smaller cans and it turned out quite drinkable so no panic needed. Wait it out & see.

But best to use the 1.87 lb or Craft/Seasonal cans next time :-)

It was 1.87 lb 

6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

If it looked like this is should be fine, with the "buts" we noted: 

10-11964-00_product_8ulw_2.png

It was this, but didn't come with the booster (which was why I added sugar).  I think what confused me is my instructions are out of date.

For proper disposal please send it to a qualified beer disposal company:

jsherman's Beer Disposal Services

246 Beer Street

Booze City, Beerlaska 83345

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PWM14 said:

It was this, but didn't come with the booster (which was why I added sugar).  I think what confused me is my instructions are out of date.

Those instructions were obsolete many years ago. The new cans started in Fall 2012. Throw that book away. Current instructions are online.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

The only thing in there that isn't current is that we recommend 3 weeks rather than 2 these days.

WeBelieve_Header.png

IN 3-4.  

• Like 3