Mr.Beer Community
MnMBeer

Easy Hop or Not

Hi Folks,

I was reading through one of my home brewing books and came across an interesting toy for hopping.

It is called a Hop Rocket and reminds me of a small centrifuge for extracting hop oils and esters in a clean manner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222022459763?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is rather pricey but looks like a pro tool for working with advanced brews with multiple hop schedules.

Anyone used one of these and is it worth the efforts?

M

They're very cool, but complete overkill for 2 gallon batches.

• Like 1

I seen people make their own hop spider with a kitchen drain or pvc reducer coupling with a grain bag attached. That would be less than $10. Might actually make one this weekend. 

• Like 1

Just so you know it cost just a bit more than $10. Stainless Steal and custom hop bag from Wilserbrewer.

PVC has a tendency to melt over boiling wort.

All of this is overkill. I just throw my hop pellets directly into the wort. By the end of fermentation the hops are in the trub. Like Slym2none would say "#hopsgocommando".

• Like 2

I have nothing bad to say about going commando, I still do it from time to time, but there are times I want to eliminate a lot of trub in my kettle and even if I use the Hop Spider I'll still cold crash. I like the way my beer comes out nice and clear with no or hardly any trub in the finished product.

• Like 1

Thanks,

It seems to work well for larger batches and by the mixed feelings posted here.

I will keep it in mind if one becomes available at a reasonable cost.

Pipe line is steady with positive results. If I can better my process and brewing techniques then the hobby will thrive.

The books were holiday gift and is fine for thorough basic brewing but, I believe one can accomplish the same or stronger education here in the forums.

Lets Make Beer

I've watched a lot of Biab videos lately and they all filter the hips in some way. I've never done it yet but there has to be a reason why people do it right? Clarity? I want clear beer too 

For the past two batches I  use a hops bag that I got off of Amazon that is a very fine mesh so none of my hops go into my wort.  It will be a few weeks before I am able to tell if it really make a difference in the final beer.  It does greatly cut down on the trub in the bottom of the brew pot after the boil.

Previously I have done boils with a larger mesh bag and commando.  I have filtered and just dumped everything in and aside from the amount of trub in the bottom of the fermenter, I haven't noticed any difference in the beer from the bottle.  If I were washing yeast, I would prefer to not have the hops in the fermenter as it is one less thing to wash from the yeast.

• Like 1