Mr.Beer Community
Broox

Hello

So, the local walmart had the LBK kits for 10$ and refills for 6$, so I bought a few and started my first homebrew batch right about noon today.  I tried to follow the instructions meticulously. It is funny, this afternoon I have already thought "How can I get more alcohol in this?" And then I read one thread on this forum telling us newbs to calm down and take your time. Good info! Thanks and I am sure I will be back with questions.

• Like 7

Welcome to the forum!  Stay around for awhile and read everything that you can.  Start with the info in forum guru RickBeer's signature.  The more you learn, the better your brews will be.  One thing as a starting point:  don't necessarily follow the instructions for fermenting and conditioning times.  You'll find that folks around here recommend 3 weeks fermenting in the LBK followed by 4 weeks carbonating and conditioning in the bottles.  Allowing this extra time is well worth the wait.  Again, welcome and happy brewing!

• Like 6

Thanks, I now have about three weeks until I am going to need bottles. Where in this forum are they discussed? I am sure there are a gazillion options.

You can buy the pet bottles here from Mr beer, or drink Sam Adams and save the bottles like me lol,brown bottles are what you want,if not the pet bottles from Mr beer then glass brown bottles but you will need a capper and caps twist off's are not recommend as they will not seal properly when capped, 

• Like 2

I searched craigslist and found 8 cases of empties 12 oz  for 4 bucks a case. I picked them up today and they were in case boxes or 6 pack cartons. Only down side is I have to remove all the labels. Bottle capper and caps are dirt cheap. ....I'm only on my third batch and stock piling a variety.

• Like 3

I pick up 5 plus cases the 22nd ,they are clean I only have to sanitize, got them off of Craigslist also but mine are free from a Brewer no longer brewing, you gotta love Craigslist am I right?

• Like 2

Fill your sink with hot water, a couple scoops of oxyclean free ,let the bottles soak bout ten to fifteen minutes the lables come off very easily, it was for the Sam Adams bottles others you may have to soak alittle longer

• Like 3

Welcome!!!! Us new people need all the voice we can get!!!!

As a newbie....I hear you with the whole adding alcohol thing.

But I SOLVED IT!!!!!!!

Just have a few shots of bourbon before you start drinking your homebrew!

• Like 2

One week into fermenting my CAL. I found a LHBS where I might have to buy bottles, but I am still checking craigslist for a deal. I am pretty sure as soon as I buy some, free ones will come out of the woodwork:first world problems. 

Welcome Broox!! I just bottled my 2nd ever batch this morning. Classic American Light and St. Patrick's Irish Stout. Reading the forums have taught me a lot. Don't be afraid of asking the questions you will have as it goes on. These guys are great and are willing to help. Again, Welcome to the Mr.Beer family!!!!

Welcome buddy, I'm a newbie also.  I just had my 1st beer this weekend; This is an excellent hobby, and there's some wise dudes within this community.  I've learned a ton, in a short time.  Enjoying every sip.

• Like 1