Mr.Beer Community
bsavarese

First Brew 1/2 Done

Alright so I'm one of the famous holiday brewers. I got the starter kit for Christmas with classic american light. Its been fermenting in the keg for just about 3 weeks so im getting ready to bottle. I was reading some posts on here and had a few questions. 1) I kept my keg at about 68 degrees pretty consistently but some of you made that sound too warm, it this true. 2) I shined a flashlight through the far side of the barrel and could see a few small particles floating in the beer is this normal or a sign of contamination. Lastly I'm going to be bottling in about 4 days. Ive been drink 16.9oz coke bottles and plan to use them to bottle my beer since it didnt come with bottle. I've been rinsing them right after i drink it but do you guys think they will work okay after I sanitize them. Okay my last question, Ive read its a good idea to transfer your beer out of the keg into another container to bottle is this true or can I just attach a hose to the spigot and bottle right from the keg. Thanks in advanced. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting started with brewing.

I'll let the other folks jump in concerning bottles.

My 2 cents on the other questions:  68 deg F should be fine.  Yes, you'll sometimes see floaters at the end of the fermenting time.  As far as bottling goes, I'm on brew number 12 with the Little Brown Kegs and I'm still bottling directly from the spigot.  Seems to work just fine for me.  Just remember to sanitize everything when you get to the bottling process and follow instructions concerning amount of sugar or carbo drops.

The Classic American Light was my first brew, too.  I started back in September 2015.  I made a few of the standard rookie mistakes.  I bottled after only 2 weeks and it was pretty green going into the bottles.  And I carbonated between only 2 weeks and 3 weeks.  It tasted OK but it would have been a whole lot better if I had followed the general 3 weeks + 4 weeks + 3 days in the fridge.

• Like 4

Welcome to the community. 68 degrees will be fine. Floaters are fine. Clear bottles are ok. Just remember to sanitize the caps and keep out of the light. I always bottle right from the spigot, so no problem there. If you can, prop the front of the keg up in a fridge for 2-3 days prior to bottling. Alot less trub in the bottles.

• Like 2

First 68 deg. is fine next time get it a little lower incase you have spike during the first few days (say around 64-65). Floaters is a good indicating of fermentation not always but most of the time. Clear bottles are OK for your beer, insure you give a good cleaning and sanitize them before use, keep them out of direct sunlight also insure you have the right amount of sugar for carbonation http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/. I wish you luck on your first batch and look forward to your results.

i kept my Classic Light at 68-70 degrees. i bottled direct from the spigot and every batch i brew there are some floaters so far. but they settle to the bottom of the bottle during carbonation. i use the MR Beer bottles because they are brown but on my last batch i really filled my LBK and bottled 2 additional  in sanitized Mt Dew bottles using 1 carbo drop and they turned out just fine. Good luck!!!!

Been using clear plastic Coke and Pepsi bottles for years w/o issue. Be sure to keep them in the dark.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your 1st brew! I brewed my Classic American Light at 68 degrees and it turned out great. I attempted to keep it about 65 but my 68 degree batch lacked nothing when it came to taste.

• Like 1