Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwulf1974

FG on Irish Stout

Hey gang,

I didn't have a hydrometer at the time and didn't even care as to what the OG may have been, but has anyone measured the FG on Irish Stout?  I know the Mr. Beer advertisement says 3.7% for just the HME alone, but was just curious if anyone has measured the before and after gravity, and what their ABV was? Also worth mentioning, but I did NOT use the booster pack. 

Thanks!

NONE of the Mr. Beer HMEs are 3.7%.  Big discussions, you will hit 3.1 or 3.2%.  

Josh has also posted expected FGs.  

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

NONE of the Mr. Beer HMEs are 3.7%.  Big discussions, you will hit 3.1 or 3.2%.  

Josh has also posted expected FGs.  

Interesting.  So I guess the question is why on the website does it list 3.7% if that is clearly not attainable?  It's not that I wouldn't have ordered the refill if I had known that, but I would have definitely added the booster to compensate for the loss in ABV. 

EDIT:  I just read through those threads, but it still looks as though nobody has hit the 3.7% even though it's advertised as 3.7% and not an approximate, which is really how it should be advertised IMO.  Either way, no biggie.  I'll just have to drink 25% more beer to equal that of Bud Light.  :P

Additional Information

Flavor: Malty

ABV (alc/vol): 3.7%

SRM (Color): 40

IBU (Bitterness): 50

This product will produce 8 liters of beer in approximately 3 weeks

As I've said time and time again, 3.7% IS attainable. We've done it here at Mr. Beer hundreds of times. That's why it's on the website. I get every drop of extract out of my cans, and use the exact amount of water, and get from 3.4% to 3.7% consistently.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

As I've said time and time again, 3.7% IS attainable. We've done it here at Mr. Beer hundreds of times. That's why it's on the website. I get every drop of extract out of my cans, and use the exact amount of water, and get from 3.4% to 3.7% consistently.

I was editing my post when I seen you reply.  I won't beat a dead horse, but I had no idea this was such a discussed topic already, so my bad.  As I mentioned, not too worried about it.  I know we are supposed to chase flavor and not ABV, but I want my cake and to eat it too you see.  :lol: