Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MrWhy

MY SECOND BEER!!!!

Recommended Posts

I am jealous, I started my first batch on Thursday, so I am over six weeks away from my first. Congratulations!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Broox said:

I am jealous, I started my first batch on Thursday, so I am over six weeks away from my first. Congratulations!

 

Post when it is ready and you've tasted!

 

And hey - free shipping this weekend and it is still a killer price! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AnthonyC said:

Nice job!  That looks great!  Congrats!!! :)

 

Many thanks!

 

It does have a real nice taste. I mean, I loved my Butchered Ale....but I am realizing that making better beer is better.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Many thanks!

 

It does have a real nice taste. I mean, I loved my Butchered Ale....but I am realizing that making better beer is better.....

Very true.  Honestly some butchered beer actually turns out to be pretty great.  Happy drinking!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks awesome!!!! i have been writing everything down whenever i cook up a batch. i always think i remember but then poof......i am getting old i guess!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have been wanting to cook up a dark beer....but i can't resist. i am gonna repeat my last ale batch like my profile pic and hop it longer with the cascades. i have learned a ton in this forum. i am super stoked

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GBbrewer said:

i have been wanting to cook up a dark beer....but i can't resist. i am gonna repeat my last ale batch like my profile pic and hop it longer with the cascades. i have learned a ton in this forum. i am super stoked

 

Or...you get another LBK and do both!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

 

Or...you get another LBK and do both!

now why didn't i think of that? oh yeah i am gonna buy two to be honest!!!! i just got a bottle capper and glass....excited to give that a whirl!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GBbrewer said:

now why didn't i think of that? oh yeah i am gonna buy two to be honest!!!! i just got a bottle capper and glass....excited to give that a whirl!

 

With the free shipping weekend I just bought a third LBK and and a bottle capper as well.

 

I think that three LBKs maxes my production capacity for the time being.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrWhy said:

 

With the free shipping weekend I just bought a third LBK and and a bottle capper as well.

 

I think that three LBKs maxes my production capacity for the time being.

You say that now, but in your heart you know that's probably not true.  The lil devil on your shoulder keeps whispering in your ear, "One more, MrWhy.  Just one more." ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one lbk for Xmas,and as soon as I started brewing my first beer, that same day went and bought another, then two weeks later bought a 6.5gl fermenter lol , and I want another!!!! Wife created a monster! I'm slowly taking over her photo shop room muaha ha ha ha .sooooooon very soon lol

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bighead beer said:

I got one lbk for Xmas,and as soon as I started brewing my first beer, that same day went and bought another, then two weeks later bought a 6.5gl fermenter lol , and I want another!!!! Wife created a monster! I'm slowly taking over her photo shop room muaha ha ha ha .sooooooon very soon lol

 

Yah....I've got a defacto room in my upstairs that needs to be cleaned out...I think I have a good reason now to get it cleaned out!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2016 at 4:13 PM, MrWhy said:

Here is my second beer!!!!! The ESB in a mini-mug. 

 

I LOVE IT! Smooth...easy.....now there is a slight bitterness there but I do not know if it is because it is an English Bitter or something I did wrong.  I can say there is no apple cider present at all....which is AWESOME.

 

I am pretty sure I brewed this straight up. I don't really remember but it is not above me to have done something stupid. I also think (I might be wrong) that I detect a bit of the same "earth" spice I tasted in my Butchered American.....

 

A few mistakes I know I made -

* I pitched this too warm. I did not realize the importance of COLD water to balance out the initial temps.

* I did not do a good job with ferment temps. Sometimes too warm..sometimes too cold....

 

Another mistake I am realizing - the importance of taking notes. I was wondering if I used the same water for this and my first...but I do not know....don't remember if I did something lame...etc.

 

Still....really liking this beer.

 

Thinking I am not in a rush. No reason not to let this one condition for another couple of weeks to see how it turns out.

IMG_2125.JPG

Always take notes! I have a notebook of every brew I've ever done (I'm up to 71 now) and it is enlightening to read back through what I've done and how it turned out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2016 at 11:51 PM, jsherman said:

Always take notes! I have a notebook of every brew I've ever done (I'm up to 71 now) and it is enlightening to read back through what I've done and how it turned out.

 

Yup!

 

That is the next project. Basic brew notes and leaving some space for tasting notes. 

 

The other project is figuring out a better way to label my beers. I want to up my presentation game for the bottles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm telling you, OneNote from Microsoft... notes, links, pictures, etc.  it is so much better than an actual physical notebook, because it syncs to all my computers and devices.  I can look up my OG on a brew from July of 2015 whether i'm at home, at work or in the car...  plus I can write in a list of needed items to reference when i visit the LHBS..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cowboykyle said:

i'm telling you, OneNote from Microsoft... notes, links, pictures, etc.  it is so much better than an actual physical notebook, because it syncs to all my computers and devices.  I can look up my OG on a brew from July of 2015 whether i'm at home, at work or in the car...  plus I can write in a list of needed items to reference when i visit the LHBS..  

 

Nice! I will take a look. Thank you!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...