Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

So what does everyone have going on with the brewing schedule? I am out of town off an on a bit coming up and wanted to have everything brewed and bottled before then...so I sat down and sketched out my schedule....

Sat 2/27 - Brewed Kenneth Blonde - DONE!

Fri 3/4 - Bottle my ESB+ (ESB hopped with Goldings); Brew Dortmunder - DONE!

Sat 3/12 -  Chill! ** MAJOR ERROR** Misread a calendar and bottled Kenneth Blonde...ONE WEEK EARLY!! Donkey Spit what is wrong with me....

Sat 3/12 - Brew Quad

Sat 3/19 - Brew Festivus

Sat 3/26 - Bottle Dortmunder, Brew Hopped CAL

Sat 4/2 - Bottle Quad, Brew Bovine

Sat 4/9 - Bottle Festivus (3 weeks); bottle CAL (2 weeks.)

Sat 4/16 -  CHILL.

Sat 4/23 - Bottle Bovine.....AND DONE!

(AS THE SCHEDULE CHANGES I AM EDITING THIS).

And that shuts me down until May....

What do you all think? What are you all up to the next few weeks?

• Like 5

Nice schedule.  Ambitious indeed.  I like it!

How long did you boil the Goldings hops in your ESB, and/or did you dry hop?  I ask because I added 1/2 oz of Goldings to my latest ESB using a 10 minute boil for flavor/aroma, which I felt was lacking a bit the first time I brewed it.   The results were quite good.

As for my brewing schedule, I've got my Mad Scientist Imperial Stout in one of my LBKs, with three weeks to go in the fermenting (per JoshR's advice I'm planning to let this one go a few extra days to be sure that all the fermentables are consumed).  At the moment I'm pushing the limits of my supply of bottles, so I'll probably wait a short while before my next brew which will probably be a Smoked Porter or a Coffee Stout.  There's also the Baltic Porter, but I need to replace the S-04 yeast before I can make it (of course, all that takes is a trip to my LHBS).  My Dortmunder Export Lager will be eligible for drinking in a couple of weeks, but I think I'll let that one lager for while ... after giving one bottle a try, of course!

• Like 1

Okay I think that's great and all, but you obviously forgot one very important thing!

5/30- Invite entire forum down for a beer.

JK... That sounds great!!! :)

• Like 6

9 hours ago, MichaelL said:

Nice schedule.  Ambitious indeed.  I like it!

How long did you boil the Goldings hops in your ESB, and/or did you dry hop?  I ask because I added 1/2 oz of Goldings to my latest ESB using a 10 minute boil for flavor/aroma, which I felt was lacking a bit the first time I brewed it.   The results were quite good.

As for my brewing schedule, I've got my Mad Scientist Imperial Stout in one of my LBKs, with three weeks to go in the fermenting (per JoshR's advice I'm planning to let this one go a few extra days to be sure that all the fermentables are consumed).  At the moment I'm pushing the limits of my supply of bottles, so I'll probably wait a short while before my next brew which will probably be a Smoked Porter or a Coffee Stout.  There's also the Baltic Porter, but I need to replace the S-04 yeast before I can make it (of course, all that takes is a trip to my LHBS).  My Dortmunder Export Lager will be eligible for drinking in a couple of weeks, but I think I'll let that one lager for while ... after giving one bottle a try, of course!

I did the same as you - boiled the 1/2 for 10 minutes. Looking forward to trying it. As much as I do not want to be a mad scientist, I am thinking that adding some hops each brew would be a good thing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Okay I think that's great and all, but you obviously forgot one very important thing!

5/30- Invite entire forum down for a beer.

JK... That sounds great!!! :)

I 've just been assuming there is a summer or winter get together for the MB Community....we all go down the HQ with bottles of our stuff...they crack open their up and coming beers.....is this not a thing????

• Like 3

Just an update to the schedule -

The Mr. Beer shipment came in today and the Sir Kenneth is here! So excited.

So tomorrow (2/27) I will definitely brew the Sir Kenneth. I don't want those ingredients sitting around for a week. If I have the time to hunt down a fourth cooler, I will also brew the Dortmunder......not sure if I will or will not. I'll update everything accordingly once I find out.

Another thing - this means I now have a BOTTLE CAPPER! So when I bottle my ESB+ next weekend....I will be able to put some (or all) into some real honest to goodness glass. Not sure if I see myself going all glass all the time....but I wont really know until I try.

Happy things happening.

• Like 3

Right now I've got a slightly modified Howling Red Ale in an LBK (sixth batch of this recipe) which will be ready to cold-crash in about 10 days. I just started brewing my second batch of Novacaine yesterday, and tomorrow I'd like to start another batch of Wild Wheat. A while back, Mr. Beer gave me a great deal on two Winter Dark Ale HME's which I'll start brewing into 4.5 gallons of Wicked Winter Warmer during the next couple of weeks. Towards the end of March I'll get another batch of Howling Red Ale going, again - it's my wife's favorite  :wub:  I took advantage of Mr. Beers 25% off sale and I'll have a large enough inventory of HME's and LME's to brew all my favorite recipes through this time next year AND do a little experimenting, too. Man, I love this hobby!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fortybelowzero said:

Right now I've got a slightly modified Howling Red Ale in an LBK (sixth batch of this recipe) which will be ready to cold-crash in about 10 days. I just started brewing my second batch of Novacaine yesterday, and tomorrow I'd like to start another batch of Wild Wheat. A while back, Mr. Beer gave me a great deal on two Winter Dark Ale HME's which I'll start brewing into 4.5 gallons of Wicked Winter Warmer during the next couple of weeks. Towards the end of March I'll get another batch of Howling Red Ale going, again - it's my wife's favorite  :wub:  I took advantage of Mr. Beers 25% off sale and I'll have a large enough inventory of HME's and LME's to brew all my favorite recipes through this time next year AND do a little experimenting, too. Man, I love this hobby!

Completely jealous of both the Winter Warmer and taking advantage of the 25% sale....Where do you guys store all this stuff?

Problem is my garage (where things are stored) is just too hot. I can't store there. Even my "storage" room upstairs, which needs to be cleaned out, etc. gets way too hot.

I've been thinking of buying a fridge and temp control unit for fermenting in the garage because this ice method can be a pain in rear....maybe I need to by a fridge to store ingredient as well.....but then will the cost of running another fridge outweigh any "buy in bulk" savings.

Also - just looked up that Howling Red Ale. That looks like good stuff. Another added to the list!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Completely jealous of both the Winter Warmer and taking advantage of the 25% sale....Where do you guys store all this stuff?

Problem is my garage (where things are stored) is just too hot. I can't store there. Even my "storage" room upstairs, which needs to be cleaned out, etc. gets way too hot.

I've been thinking of buying a fridge and temp control unit for fermenting in the garage because this ice method can be a pain in rear....maybe I need to by a fridge to store ingredient as well.....but then will the cost of running another fridge outweigh any "buy in bulk" savings.

Also - just looked up that Howling Red Ale. That looks like good stuff. Another added to the list!

I store in the tortoise room, Mr Why.  It's the perfect place.  My fiancée (I say wife occasionally) is terrified of them, so she has NO idea what I have going on in there!! :):)

• Like 1

This is from Google Images, but mine look exactly the same.  Terrifying aren't they?  Hahaha!  

sulcata.jpg

• Like 3

@AnthonyC  This is Tobina, a Greek Tortoise I got at age 10, 60+ years ago,  and mates and offspring ( pics taken about 8 years ago). Still healthy and breeding as of last contact. My mother incubated her eggs in a box by the water heater several times after recovering them from the flower bed.

DSC04111.JPG

DSC04115.JPG

• Like 5

@AnthonyC Feel free to take it! It is now yours!

@NickfixitLove them!

When I was growing up my grandma had a turtle? Tortoise? It lived in her backyard in a hole of some sort. Some of my best early memories are sitting in her backyard and feeding it lettuce.

• Like 2

Alright - Just finished brewing the Sir Kenneth Blonde. Excited to see how it turns out.

I followed the recipe to the letter and did nothing stupid. At least nothing that I know of. Surprisingly had no real trouble holding the grain temp at 160. It started a bit too high (180) but I brought that down with some fresh water and from then it was easy.

One issue - four cups of water was nowhere near enough to even come close to covering the sack of grains. Needed double that, and I am not using a giant pot. Was covering the grains that important? Did I mess everything up by using 8 cups of water instead of 4? I hope not.

The only other issue was pitching temp. Even using a gallon of cold and topping off with cold, it is still too warm....I think. But definitely not hot.

I put the LBK into a pre-cooled cooler and just added a couple of extra ice bottles. I will monitor the temp carefully today and tomorrow.

And that is it for the Kenneth Blonde until March 19!

While using the grains was definitely fun, I can see that it is not something I would want to do EVERY brew. The ease of full extract brewing with HME became very apparent during this process.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

@AnthonyC  This is Tobina, a Greek Tortoise I got at age 10, 60+ years ago,  and mates and offspring ( pics taken about 8 years ago). Still healthy and breeding as of last contact. My mother incubated her eggs in a box by the water heater several times after recovering them from the flower bed.

DSC04111.JPG

DSC04115.JPG

That is SO amazing!  They're great pets.  I'm always astonished by how much character they have.  Mine are African Spur Thighs.  I have 2 females and a male, but they're too young to breed (3yrs, 3months).

• Like 1

@AnthonyC i dont know remember who said we have to get together and race, but here's the namesake of my Horny Rabbit Brewery.

We'll just sit and drink beer and watch.

IMG_20150409_183020.jpg

• Like 3

That's great!  Haha!  We should've just started a "Pet Topic" on the Community Drainpipe" thread.

• Like 2

Anyway, on topic:

2/15  Started "Valentines Lager":  American Lager with 2 oz mix of choc and pale choc grains and 2 oz Cara 40 steeped. DME mix 1.5 cups Sparkling  Amber, 3/4 cup Wheat,  2 oz Trad Dark, 0.5 oz FF 7C's hop, S-05 yeast.

2/24 Bottled  the "No Grapefruit" Diablo  (Citrous hops only (1.5 oz))

2/25 Started DunkelWeissen : Bav Weiss HME, 1 lb Trad Dark DME, flameout hop 0.5 German Hallertauer. About 1/3 new pkt Munich Wheat yeast (underpitched). fermented around 70. Careful not to aerate well. (Slow water pouring).  Smells very aromatic

3/5 Start  Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale at Pink Boots Brew event at BustHead Brewery.

3/7 Bottle Valentines Lager

3/15 Start a Partial Mash DunkelWeissen: Bavarian WeissBier  HME+0.5 lb Wheat DME (or 0.75 lb Malted Wheat Grain), 2 oz Dark DME, 4 oz Vienna Malt grain, 4 oz Munich Malt grain, 2 oz CaraWheat grain, 1 oz dehusked Choc Malt grain, (??? do I need this- 0.125 oz SINAMAX for color), flameout hop 0.5 oz German Hallertauer. 1/3 pkt Munich yeast (half remainder of pkt.)  (Or closest if I can't get these ingredients).

• Like 2

On 2/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, MrWhy said:

Alright - Just finished brewing the Sir Kenneth Blonde. Excited to see how it turns out.

I followed the recipe to the letter and did nothing stupid. At least nothing that I know of. Surprisingly had no real trouble holding the grain temp at 160. It started a bit too high (180) but I brought that down with some fresh water and from then it was easy.

One issue - four cups of water was nowhere near enough to even come close to covering the sack of grains. Needed double that, and I am not using a giant pot. Was covering the grains that important? Did I mess everything up by using 8 cups of water instead of 4? I hope not.

The only other issue was pitching temp. Even using a gallon of cold and topping off with cold, it is still too warm....I think. But definitely not hot.

I put the LBK into a pre-cooled cooler and just added a couple of extra ice bottles. I will monitor the temp carefully today and tomorrow.

And that is it for the Kenneth Blonde until March 19!

While using the grains was definitely fun, I can see that it is not something I would want to do EVERY brew. The ease of full extract brewing with HME became very apparent during this process.

8 cups is fine to use. I may go through and have the recipes updated to 6 cups, just to be sure since many people won't understand that they need to be using smaller pots. My 4 qt pot is fine using 4 cups for that recipe. But it doesn't hurt to use more water if you need to.

• Like 3

A work conference ended early so I decided to bottle AND brew.

MY FIRST FORAY INTO GLASS! Loved it. I did not find that it added that much work and the benefits outweigh the cons in my opinion. That is not to say I will give up on plastic forever...but I'm loving glass. Pictured is the bottling of my Hopped ESB, bottle (GLASS!) and sample. The sample was great. No off tastes, the hops are coming through. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Next for the PM is brewing up the Hopped Dortmunder, Ale style. Will post on that when I am done.

bottleandsample.JPG

• Like 4

Wow! Bottled (WITH GLASS) AND brewed. A major step up in production for me.

Here is what I brewed - A Dortmunder Seasonal Extra -

Tried to avoid MAD SCIENTIST mode - but not sure if I did.

Dortmunder Seasonal + 1 pale, brewed as Ale with S-05, Warrior, Saaz, and Williamette hops.

6 cups of water - put in Warrior hops and pale, brought to boil

added Saaz at boil, boiled for 10 minutes

turned off heat and added Williamette - let sit for a few minutes

removed hop sacks and put them into the LBK (last time the hop sacks splashed into the LBK. I did not like that.)

stirred Dortmunder into wort.

added cold water to LBK, added wort, topped off with cold.

whisked with vigor, added S-05

---

And there we go. will ferment for three weeks.

--

Temps here are really funky. Past few days it has been mid fifties in the AM (lower during night) and mid to upper 80s in the afternoon. Today was in the low sixties all day. Will see what happens. The Kenneth blonde is beyond the few day stage so not too worried. Kept the temps as stable as I could.
-

For the Dortmunder plus I might just roll with fate. What happens happens.

-

Proudly showed my wife my first GLASS BOTTLE. Her response "Haven't you bottled like ten times already?"

My response "No. And this is GLASS!"

Her - "Haven't you been using glass?"

Me - "Never mind."

-

When I win my first brewing award, she is not getting mentioned.

• Like 2

Bottling That Voodoo That You Do 2/6/16 

Brewing Kenneth Blonde 2/6/16

Drinking Millennium Falconers Flight Red

??

• Like 1

Have you had the FF Red yet?

How does it taste?

So many things to brew...so little time!

• Like 1

AAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

MAJOR BREWING MISTAKE!!!!!

What the hell!!!!

I misread my calendar and bottled my Kenneth Blonde a week early..........HOLY HELL CRAP!

I am a complete loser who does not deserve to brew beer.

I am so stupid.....what the monkey poop am I thinking??????

IMG_2176.JPG

Okay......all is not lost...right? 

I mean....two weeks....that is not bad. That is a long time fermenting. And I just really watch these bottles and make sure they do not explode...I condition them for a bit longer...8 weeks instead of 6....

All is not lost.

But by whiskers of a mangy cat how can I be so lame.....

32 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Okay......all is not lost...right? 

I mean....two weeks....that is not bad. That is a long time fermenting. And I just really watch these bottles and make sure they do not explode...I condition them for a bit longer...8 weeks instead of 6....

All is not lost.

But by whiskers of a mangy cat how can I be so lame.....

No, all is not lost.  It's still beer.  It'll likely come out OK with extra conditioning.  

I bottled my Sir Kenneth Blonde last night on day 21 and I messed up a bit, too.  I was trying to fish out the three hops sacks before I started bottling.  Two were floating and easy to get out.  The 3rd was somewhere on the bottom.  And I disturbed the trub just a little for a fraction of a second when I let my sanitized tongs touch the bottom of the LBK.  I let the trub re-settle for an hour before I started bottling, but I still figure I've got a little extra trub in the bottles.  I figure it'll settle out in the bottom of the bottles.  I could have cold crashed it for a few days, but my schedule didn't allow it.  But it'll turn out OK, I'm sure.

Edit:  Here's a photo.  You can see the bottles still came out OK.DSCN2847.thumb.jpeg.8d78e29dc985a31d37d8

Edited by K5WX
  • Like 3

Thanks K5......

But still....you just let the tongs slip a bit.

I freaking misread my calendar by a week.....

I hang my head in pathetic shame.......

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Hang in there, MrWhy.  I think you're gonna be okay my friend. :)

Breathing. Thinking good thoughts. Everyone makes mistakes....i'm okay...it's okay....baby steps....

speaking of turtles, I caught these two in my backyard last spring! and that's eactly the position they were in! No Modificationsgallery_65635_31_935631.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I misread my calendar and bottled my Kenneth Blonde a week early..........HOLY HELL CRAP!

I am a complete loser who does not deserve to brew beer.

People have been making and drinking since before calendars were invented! The process is way too chaotic to run on a strict clock, anyway. The OG is only 1.047 - it was almost certainly done fermenting at less than a week. An extra week is insurance and a third is double insurance and serves to start the aging process. If, by some small chance,  the FG was still too high, it might over-carbonate or blow bottles. Very probable it won't. If it flocked and cleared, the yeast was attenuated as far as it was going to go. Did you take an FG at bottling or at least taste a sample? Either would tell you that it's not bottled too early.

I intentionally crashed a low-OG Bitters at day 9 and bottled on day 11. It's easily one of the best beers I've done yet.

Chill out, for godssake, man! :)

• Like 2

Rick is on his way to scold you, make you read the posts under his name, and then slap you around like a little Nancy-boy!  You have been warned! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

What state are you in, Hoppy?  They look like box turtles.

A... I think, based on the amount of beer that Hoppy admits to drinking, we know what state he's in most of the time.

B... Them turtles don't look they're boxing, to me. 

:D

• Like 5

Thanks for the support everyone. It is good to know in times like these you have people behind you.

Okay - checked the bottles of Kenneth Blonde. Nothing has exploded or ran away or melted or anything else that might be bad. 

I am glass is half full kind of guy, so what this means is that I am going to be able to sneak in one more brew session before travel takes me out of commission for a bit!

Got to go through those recipes and see what I might be itching to brew up.

• Like 2

Back on track - turning lemons into lemonade. 

Brewed the Gigantor Quad from the archives...tweaked it from the original slightly by adding a Golden LME for head/body, and doubled the saaz since I had two packs.

* Cold 6 cups water, 1 cup brown sugar, Golden LME, 1 saaz hops

* Bring to boil

* Add second bag saaz hops, turn off heat

* Stir in 2 cans Oktoberfest

* Filled LBK with 1 gallon refrigerator cold water, pour in wort, top to 2 gallon with more refrigerator cold water

* Whisk like a madmen

* Sprinkle in T-58

--

Right now the LBK is sitting at 70....going to let it stay there until I leave for the evening and will add a cold pack. Goal for this Belgian is to leave it around 70 for the next few days to maximize Belgian flavors.

Will bottle in 3 weeks...and let condition for a LONG time!

had a busy day. bottled my St. Patricks stout and canadian blonde.  Also got a batch of roses rambling red and a batch of powerful patriot in the lbk's. first attempt steeping hops. should be interesting. Also enjoyed a few of my aztec mexican cervezas last night. 5 weeks conditioned. very good exept one bottle was cidery. i wonder if it was the last bottle and got a little too much trub in it. i noticed the trub in the lbk was cidery smelling. i suppose thats normal.  the rest of the batch has been very good. my next effort will be a higher abv ipa. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J A said:

People have been making and drinking since before calendars were invented! The process is way too chaotic to run on a strict clock, anyway. The OG is only 1.047 - it was almost certainly done fermenting at less than a week. An extra week is insurance and a third is double insurance and serves to start the aging process. If, by some small chance,  the FG was still too high, it might over-carbonate or blow bottles. Very probable it won't. If it flocked and cleared, the yeast was attenuated as far as it was going to go. Did you take an FG at bottling or at least taste a sample? Either would tell you that it's not bottled too early.

I intentionally crashed a low-OG Bitters at day 9 and bottled on day 11. It's easily one of the best beers I've done yet.

Chill out, for godssake, man! :)

Yah - but still.....misreading the calendar by a week is lame.

I do not do any hydrometer readings so I am not sure. The sample did not taste great.....it did not taste bad.

But the bottles have not exploded which is good. I am hoping that a full two weeks is more than enough for primary fermentation to be done....and while it did not have enough time to start cleaning up, I will keep it conditioning for longer. Going to go 8 weeks with this one.

All we can do is move on and brew more!

56 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Yah - but still.....misreading the calendar by a week is lame.

I do not do any hydrometer readings so I am not sure. The sample did not taste great.....it did not taste bad.

But the bottles have not exploded which is good. I am hoping that a full two weeks is more than enough for primary fermentation to be done....and while it did not have enough time to start cleaning up, I will keep it conditioning for longer. Going to go 8 weeks with this one.

All we can do is move on and brew more!

Lots of people bottle at two weeks.  I used to listen to a podcast everyday about beer and I learned that people do things differently than people do on this forum.  Neither one is right or wrong, just a different way to go about things.  But back to the topic, I think bottling at 2 is ok, but ales should never go past 3 weeks.  A hydro reading really couldve helped you here.  I dont take readings anymore though so maybe I should follow my own advice eh? Im just confident now, knock on wood

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

What state are you in, Hoppy?  They look like box turtles.

you really don't want to know that state i'm in right now....However, the state I live in is Oklahoma. these turtles appear early summer every year since there's a ton of foliage in my backyard, it's a safe haven for them I guess, this was the first time I've seen turtles mating, or I guess that's what they were doin when I found them, It was a Kodak moment for me...hehehe...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

you really don't want to know that state i'm in right now....However, the state I live in is Oklahoma. these turtles appear early summer every year since there's a ton of foliage in my backyard, it's a safe haven for them I guess, this was the first time I've seen turtles mating, or I guess that's what they were doin when I found them, It was a Kodak moment for me...hehehe...

Should've offered them a beer and a smoke when they finished!

• Like 1

I really don't have a brewing schedule, sometimes I look at my stash and say to myself, I think i'll do this one next! i'm so back logged on brewing I just wing it most of the timegallery_65635_46_1346876.jpggallery_65635_46_431343.jpg

• Like 3

and since my cell phone can't send pics to my email address, the stash has grown, including three all grain recipes. why are these photos so darn big??? is this for mobile viewing as well?

• Like 1

Hoppy, have you ever come across bacon extract?  I'm looking for some b/c I wanna make a bacon smoked porter.  Also, I noticed that you have a lot from Midwest.  Do you like them better than Northern?

to me, for the price, I think AIH is the best way to go, their packaging is cheaper , the extract are in generic plastic containers no labeling, the grains are sealed in regular plastic bag, but they include a the large grain bag with grains already in it. northern brewer is a bit pricey, however, they're pretty much first class on packaging, and always good with shipping. Midwest is pretty good, they don't offer super deals as much as northerner, and AIH

• Like 2

i'll look for some bacon extract, u know i'm wondering if u can experiment with dried bacon bits, the kind u put on a salad? maybe add sum to a hop sack or even make a one gallon batch and add the hop sack?? just a thought

• Like 1

I might add about AIH, when you start to brew, most of the packaging is thrown in the trash, so I think AIH has cut out the cost of packaging and roll the savings to its customers!  Great Marketing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

and since my cell phone can't send pics to my email address, the stash has grown, including three all grain recipes. why are these photos so darn big??? is this for mobile viewing as well?

Need big photos to convey the size of the stash!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lots of people bottle at two weeks.  I used to listen to a podcast everyday about beer and I learned that people do things differently than people do on this forum.  Neither one is right or wrong, just a different way to go about things.  But back to the topic, I think bottling at 2 is ok, but ales should never go past 3 weeks.  A hydro reading really couldve helped you here.  I dont take readings anymore though so maybe I should follow my own advice eh? Im just confident now, knock on wood

I think it is less that I bottled at 2 weeks and more the shock of completely not realizing what day/date I was at. It was almost like all sense of calendar time completely melted.....so after I bottled, happy with myself, and started going through my schedule...the realization that I was a week off hit me like slap with a cold fish.

But I am back on track. Longer conditioning time for this one....I've got the Belgian Quad in the LBK......because of this "push" in the schedule I am throwing in a bonus brew....going to do a very simple super hopped CAL, which should be nice.

And I started putting a little sheet of paper in the cooler to remind me what is fermenting, the date I brewed it, and my target bottling day!

• Like 2

I just brewed up a Dortmunder yesterday, think i'll order a few more of those this weekend  since they're about gone, and I want to do a 5 gallon batch, next will be a kolsch I've been wanting to do. in a way, at least i'm trying to stay somewhat with the seasons

39 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

I think it is less that I bottled at 2 weeks and more the shock of completely not realizing what day/date I was at. It was almost like all sense of calendar time completely melted.....so after I bottled, happy with myself, and started going through my schedule...the realization that I was a week off hit me like slap with a cold fish.

But I am back on track. Longer conditioning time for this one....I've got the Belgian Quad in the LBK......because of this "push" in the schedule I am throwing in a bonus brew....going to do a very simple super hopped CAL, which should be nice.

And I started putting a little sheet of paper in the cooler to remind me what is fermenting, the date I brewed it, and my target bottling day!

I messed up one time and added the vanilla to my Witches Pumpkin recipe, and the Pumpkin to the Nilla Porter recipe.  Best mistake ever, so ya never know MrWhy. :)

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

A hydro reading really couldve helped you here. 

I take reading at bottling so I can confirm projected numbers from the calculator I'm using. The Mr. Beer recipes are going to be pretty consistent since they're tried and true, but since I'm using other ingredients and trying out different yeasts, it's important to see where the baselines are.

8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Lots of people bottle at two weeks.

For low OG beers, I think it's probably more common to do 2 weeks, but for inexperienced brewers, the extra week is a good routine. I've definitely been better off scheduling that way because it takes the guess work out of it - though I have intentionally pushed some ahead of that. For a Kolsch (cold-fermented ale yeast) the 3 weeks was totally necessary because the Krausen was still active after over a week in the fridge at 55-60 degrees. It finally cleared at 2 weeks plus and I let it sit at room temp for 5 days before cold-crashing. 

Alright. The Winter/Spring 2015 Brew Season Continues.

The big news is that through spacial configuration I'm now able to run 3 LBKs at a time, which changes it all.

So tonight I brewed #MyFestivus. I am calling it my Festivus, because not trying to go all #madscientist, I did make a few changes. 

I did not realize the recipe called for Smooth DME....and instead it appears I ordered Smooth LME. Not sure if the difference between LME and DME is subtle or catastrophic....but it is what I had so it is what I used.

The other major change is that at the very end, flameout I believe it is called, I threw in a pack of Saaz, commando style. I had them. I figure why not? 

The other big thing is that with the addition of a third LBK I was able to squeeze in ONE more brew before I shut down for a few weeks. ANGRY BOVINE!

Edited the calendar at the beginning of this thread to reflect all changes to the schedule.

Here is where this season all ends up when done (April 23)

Hopped ESB

Kenneth Blonde

Enhanced Dortmunder (brewed Ale Style)

Gigantor Quad

My Festivus

Hopped Cal+

Angry Bovine (with Steeping Grains)

In addition I have a several bottles of my first ESB, as well as all of my Mad American Ale still conditioning.

#Pipeline! #DoingThis!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

#thehashtagsarekillingme

I am a hashtag ninja.

#ninjagenius

• Like 1

Bottled my Remixed Dortmunder. Dortmunder brewed with US-05, a pale LME, and warrior, saaz, and williamette hops.

The sample was a bit harsh, but tasty!

This one is going to condition for at least six weeks, ideally eight.

Cheers!

FullSizeRender.jpg

5 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Bottled my Remixed Dortmunder. Dortmunder brewed with US-05, a pale LME, and warrior, saaz, and williamette hops.

The sample was a bit harsh, but tasty!

This one is going to condition for at least six weeks, ideally eight.

Cheers!

Harsh as in strong (ABV), or is it the hop bite?

9 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

Harsh as in strong (ABV), or is it the hop bite?

A few factors. The ABV was there, but it was more harsh from the hop bite. I'm hoping this mellows over the weeks.

Plus, as is par for the course with my brewing, the fermenting temps were a chaotic roller coaster of madness. I'm sure there are some off flavors in there.

All that being said, this was not a bad sample and there is potential there. 

11 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

A few factors. The ABV was there, but it was more harsh from the hop bite. I'm hoping this mellows over the weeks.

Plus, as is par for the course with my brewing, the fermenting temps were a chaotic roller coaster of madness. I'm sure there are some off flavors in there.

All that being said, this was not a bad sample and there is potential there. 

You shouldn't have any trouble with the hops mellowing out in time. I do recommend (if possible) that you limit yourself to one bottle during week 6 and one during week 7, supplemented by other ready home brews or some nice store-bought craft brew. 

As far as temperature control, I keep my keg in a cooler in the front room. It is an eyesore to the wife, but it maintains a nice, steady temperature (more important than feng shui and aesthetics). I'll usually have to rotate out frozen water bottles in the summer, but the winter and spring have been consistent without. 

I'm sure it'll turn out awesome!

Thanks @Big Sarge!

I've gotten much better at patience. Maybe one at week 6 or 7 to see what is what. But really, week 8 and on is when the beers are going to be sampled. And if they need longer than that then so be it!

• Like 1

got a dortmunder in week 3 in primary, yea I added a 1/8 oz. of moteaka hop for the heck of it, it had a funky smell, but that was due to the 34/70 yeast

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

got a dortmunder in week 3 in primary, yea I added a 1/8 oz. of moteaka hop for the heck of it, it had a funky smell, but that was due to the 34/70 yeast

Did you dry hop? Or put in the hops pre-boil? Or just after?

pre boil, but only 1/8 bcuz the moetaka has a lime like aroma to it, so I didn't want to screw it up too much, probably already did lol! doesn't matter i'll drink it

• Like 1

I MADE A GOOD BEER!!!!

WOW. I made a good beer!!!!!

This is my mad scientist Mad American Ale. I used the T-58 Belgium yeast, the American Ale HME, Saaz hops, and other stuff I do not remember. This was in my early days when I was chasing ABV and just throwing caution to the wind.

AND IT IS A GOOD BEER!!!

It is like an amber tripel...there is still some alcohol harshness...it could use a few more weeks to condition and mellow....but as it stands...IT IS GOOD!!!! I've had 8 dollar belgiums in a tulip that...okay...they were a bit more tasty...but they were 8 dollars........and in a couple more weeks this might go from good to really good!!!!

GO ME!!!

ADDED EDIT INFO - Okay - confession time. Saturday was 6 weeks, put in fridge for a few days, then try a bottle. But I was arranging bottles, clearing spaces, etc. and I ended up with this floating bottle. I did not feel like going back to the garage, it would not fit in my cupboard, so I said to myself...."self....just put it in the fridge and have it Sunday." That was yesterday. Today I was supposed to go have a couple of beers with my buddy but that did not happen so I got home and said to myself "self...just try the beer." And I tried it and...I MADE GOOD BEER!

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

pre boil, but only 1/8 bcuz the moetaka has a lime like aroma to it, so I didn't want to screw it up too much, probably already did lol! doesn't matter i'll drink it

When you do a pre-boil hops is it just water or do you put an LME in it?

well I do all partial mashes, so I start off with steeping the grain bag , then after the steeping remove from burner, I add the LME and/or HME extract stir til fully dissolve then return to burner bring to boil then add hops and boil a minimum an hr. Now on the dortmunder I just brought the water to a boil added hops and let boil for 30 minutes then added dortmunder, cut sum corners and made it more simpler because didn't think it was worth the hassle.

3 hours ago, MrWhy said:

When you do a pre-boil hops is it just water or do you put an LME in it?

Whats a pre boil hops????  I cant find it onlibe but I was sure hops need the sugars in malt to do their thing.  So put LME in, but not HME.  That and maybe it'll darken it a bit so others stay away from our beer.  "I dont drink dark beer"  Really? cuz theres some black lagers that are the most amazingly smooth beers Ive ever tasted

@MRB Josh R maybe you can elaborate on this.  I was doing some reading on how extract is made.  One website made it sound like you boil hops in water.  Is that true.  Cuz I also heard you get bittering hops in giant cans.  I dont know what to believe.  Can we see pics of the factory???  Can you take 10 of us on a tour?  Ill take my FMLA leave to do that instaed of stay home with my newborn in 5 weeks.  IS that enough time to make this happen?  I pick those invited... please

8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Whats a pre boil hops????  I cant find it onlibe but I was sure hops need the sugars in malt to do their thing.  So put LME in, but not HME.  That and maybe it'll darken it a bit so others stay away from our beer.  "I dont drink dark beer"  Really? cuz theres some black lagers that are the most amazingly smooth beers Ive ever tasted

@MRB Josh R maybe you can elaborate on this.  I was doing some reading on how extract is made.  One website made it sound like you boil hops in water.  Is that true.  Cuz I also heard you get bittering hops in giant cans.  I dont know what to believe.  Can we see pics of the factory???  Can you take 10 of us on a tour?  Ill take my FMLA leave to do that instaed of stay home with my newborn in 5 weeks.  IS that enough time to make this happen?  I pick those invited... please

I was being unclear. I meant did you put the hops in the boiling water, before you turn off heat and stir in HME.

I guess a better way to say it would be "did you put the hops in the boiling water."

It is something I was not sure about either. I don't know if I can boil the hops in the water and it does anything, or if it is better practice to have an LME and then boil the hops for like 10 minutes if I want some flavor...five minutes if I want aroma (I don't have that nice little curvy chart with the times handy.)

My understanding is the the Mr. Beer HMEs are already bittered and any added hops can be used for flavor and aroma, but bittering is not necessary.

Brewed a Hopped CAL.

CAL HME, Booster, PALE DME, Golden LME, Cascade and Centennial Hops, Mr. B yeast.

Added Booster, Pale DME, Golden LME to 8 cups water. Brought to boil.

20 minute boil

At boil added 1 oz Centennial and .5 oz Cascade (20 minutes total boil)

At 10 minutes added .5 oz Cascade (10 minutes boil)

Turned off heat, removed "big" hop bag (the first one with the 1 oz Centennial and .5 oz Cascade)

Stirred in CAL HME

Ice bath to bring wort temp down below 120 (started at 140/150)

Added 1 gallon refrigerator cold to LBK, poured in wort, topped off with more refrigerator cold water.

Stirred and pitched yeast. (wort temp looked to 68/70).

--

This is the start of what I am considering my "base" beer. CAL + Booster. I want to start regularly brewing a CAL + Booster and then adding/changing things to see what comes up. The goal with this one was to use more/different hops and get a stronger hop profile than what I've been brewing. 

The Golden LME was sort of a mad scientist throw in. I did not know I had it, I do not need it for the Angry Bovine and I've got no more brews for a bit after that. So I threw it in.

Reason for the ice bath - I think I've been pitching too hot. This time I wanted to make sure that I pitched at a lower temp, so I brought the wort down to sub 120. There was no reason for that number. I just figured 20 degrees seemed good.

I am going to let it sit at 68/70 and get fermentation going. 

Ferment for 3 weeks and see what happens. 

On 3/26/2016 at 10:51 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I'm not sure what "pre-boil" hops are either.

Our extract is hopped with distilled hop oils.

4 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

I'm not sure what "pre-boil" hops are either.

Our extract is hopped with distilled hop oils.

I mispoke! Not pre-boil......

What I was trying to say was adding hops to the boiling water - before you turn off the heat and then add in the HME. 

"Boiling-Water hops" I guess.

If adding hops when turning of the heat, this is known as adding at "flame-out". If adding at 5 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "5 minute hop addition". If adding at 10 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "10 minutes hop addition", and so on.

1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

If adding hops when turning of the heat, this is known as adding at "flame-out". If adding at 5 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "5 minute hop addition". If adding at 10 minutes before flame-out, this is called a "10 minutes hop addition", and so on.

Which is different than a Flame On!

display?key=fc778e44915911e088ae4040f9f8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Can you do hop additions to the 4 cups of water that gets boiled before adding the HME?

Or do hop additions need a DME/LME to work?

1 minute ago, MrWhy said:

Can you do hop additions to the 4 cups of water that gets boiled before adding the HME?

Or do hop additions need a DME/LME to work?

You would need to add some LME/DME for proper utilization. 1 LME per 4 cups works fine. But if you're doing a grain steep/mash, that should also be sufficient for hop utilization. Too much malt will lower utilization, though, so don't add a lot of malt to the 4 cups. Also, if doing a grain steep, you may need to use up to 8 cups of water depending on how much grain is being steeped/mashed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

You would need to add some LME/DME for proper utilization. 1 LME per 4 cups works fine. But if you're doing a grain steep/mash, that should also be sufficient for hop utilization. Too much malt will lower utilization, though, so don't add a lot of malt to the 4 cups. Also, if doing a grain steep, you may need to use up to 8 cups of water depending on how much grain is being steeped/mashed.

Thank you for the info.

• Like 1

I say this and I plan for that, and it's always the same I don't go through what I want to do....i'm a probeerstinator, still staring at the future on a shelf in my living room; double powerful patriot lager( have too older patriot lagers to use instead of one ), honey wild wheat, and a Czech pilsner with bohemian pilsner malt and Czech saaz hop, which I really looking forward trying that one!

• Like 2

Busy weekend coming up, so I bottled my Gigantor Quad. Two days early, but whatever.

This was a recipe from the archives. Two cans Oktoberfest, 1 cup brown sugar, T-58. I added a pack of Golden LME for some more body and better head.

Bottling went well. Keep trying to get better at process.

The sample was mleh. This is one that will need to age out. I can see why the site recommends six months. Hard hit of alcohol, a few other things going on as well. But the Belgium flavors are in there. Just buried. There was some definite dark fruit notes going on.

I was also surprised at the color. I thought it would be darker but it was a golden brown.

Next time I brew this I am going to change up a few things.

Well, that one is done. The bottles are sealed. I will be revisiting this one in October.

• Like 1

brewed up the Czech pilsner using the s-33 yeast, with "bohemian wrapsodasi malt" a hard to find grain only found in the Queensland Court, Northern Bavaria, Instanbul, Australia.

• Like 1

To me, Istanbul will always be Constantinople.

• Like 1

Well, the 2016 Winter/Spring brewing season is coming to an end. Brewed up my last one for the time being. The Angry Bovine with steeping grains.

I steeped Chocolate malt and Caramel whatever number it was. I don't remember. It was whatever Josh recommended on the Angry Bovine announcement.

I did not like that Chocolate malt. I am glad I went with a bit less than two ounce. It has a real strong flavor and smell. I am sure fermenting and conditioning will mellow it out, along with the sweetness from the lactose, but man. That is one to use sparingly.

Other than that, all went according to plan. I continued my new thing of cooling the wort before adding to the LBK. This time I cooled it down to 100, which I am glad I did because I did not put the water in the refrigerator last night like I normally would have and put it in the freezer late in the morning. It was not as cold as I would have liked, but it looks like I pitched the yeast at 68.  

This one will ferment for three weeks.

What is left?

Bottling my Hopped CAL. Bottling my #Myfestivus. Bottling this one.

And then continuing to wait for these beers to be ready!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Well, the 2016 Winter/Spring brewing season is coming to an end. Brewed up my last one for the time being. The Angry Bovine with steeping grains.

I steeped Chocolate malt and Caramel whatever number it was. I don't remember. It was whatever Josh recommended on the Angry Bovine announcement.

I did not like that Chocolate malt. I am glad I went with a bit less than two ounce. It has a real strong flavor and smell. I am sure fermenting and conditioning will mellow it out, along with the sweetness from the lactose, but man. That is one to use sparingly.

Other than that, all went according to plan. I continued my new thing of cooling the wort before adding to the LBK. This time I cooled it down to 100, which I am glad I did because I did not put the water in the refrigerator last night like I normally would have and put it in the freezer late in the morning. It was not as cold as I would have liked, but it looks like I pitched the yeast at 68.  

What is left?

Oh you're not done, sir.  Not by a long shot!  Start brewing your fall/winter beers NOW!  Unless they're IPA's.  Think ant & the grasshopper...  think... Beer Squirrel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Oh you're not done, sir.  Not by a long shot!  Start brewing your fall/winter beers NOW!  Unless they're IPA's.  Think ant & the grasshopper...  think... Beer Squirrel.

Yeah. I've been looking at the calendar trying to figure out what the Summer 2016 Season/Schedule is going to look like.

Thinking I need to invest in a fridge and controller though. The ice thing is getting a little old.....

20 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Yeah. I've been looking at the calendar trying to figure out what the Summer 2016 Season/Schedule is going to look like.

Thinking I need to invest in a fridge and controller though. The ice thing is getting a little old.....

I agree.  It can be a royal pain in the ass.  Since I don't have the space for anything temperature controlled I decided to brew seasonally.  I've pretty much figured out which brews I want to make now for the late fall/early winter.  

• Like 1

On April 2, 2016 at 4:13 PM, MrWhy said:

What is left?

I bottled my Angry Bovine on Friday! I brewed the recipe as is, it tasted great before I pitched the yeast but the sample I tested at bottling didn't have as much sweetness as I had hoped for. Keep me posted on the turnout of yours.

28 minutes ago, Ga Ced said:

I bottled my Angry Bovine on Friday! I brewed the recipe as is, it tasted great before I pitched the yeast but the sample I tested at bottling didn't have as much sweetness as I had hoped for. Keep me posted on the turnout of yours.

Will do! It smells a lot better today than it did the first day. Much better.

I think you might the sweetness starts to come out as all the sugars are eaten except for the lactose sugars. That is what is going to give you the sweetness. How sweet though, I do not know either.

Got clearance to brew again this Friday so we're going to make 5 gallons of the Mr Beer Belgian Blanc right away and then go crazy with an all grain 10 gallon Bells Oberon clone recipe. We've made 14 cases of beer in the last 7 weeks, this will put us at about 20 cases in 8 weeks. #pipeline

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Got clearance to brew again this Friday so we're going to make 5 gallons of the Mr Beer Belgian Blanc right away and then go crazy with an all grain 10 gallon Bells Oberon clone recipe. We've made 14 cases of beer in the last 7 weeks, this will put us at about 20 cases in 8 weeks. #pipeline

How can you not like that!  Nice, Creeps!!! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

How can you not like that!  Nice, Creeps!!! 

Baby due in three weeks. I just keep telling my wife were brewing so much cuz I won't be brewing after the baby comes... But I want to make your grapefruit ale, that won't take long, and a batch of banana beer with my last Weiss. Those I can whip up while mommy and baby nap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

That is some impressive pipeline building right there!

Hello!

Continuing to update this project. 

Yesterday was a bottling day. I bottled my #MyFestivus. This has been fermenting three weeks. Then, based on schedule, emotions, and several other factors....I bottled my HoppedCALeXtreme, which has been fermenting for two weeks.

Okay. The #MyFestivus was due for bottling. The sample was not great, but few of my samples have been great. A bit sour. Not sure what was going on. But it has been three weeks so I bottled. 

I did a six pack in glass 12 oz. 

A bit of backstory before the next. Lately I've been using some Jameson for sanitary purposes. Wiping...soaking, etc. So I had the Jameson out out. I bottled the six pack. I thought to my self..."self, what if I put a shot of the old Irish into this German brew?" Never one to back down from a challenge, and since I already had three glass bombers sanitized, ready to dance, i added a shot of the whiskey and filled. So I've got three glass bombers of #MyFestivus with whiskey that are going to condition for a long time. after those, I bottled the rest in plastic 750. 

I then looked at my schedule and realized there was no way I would be bottling next weekend. And they weekend after? No way I could bottle my hopped CAL and my angry bovine.

So I bottled my hopped CAL Extreme. I was surprised how the sample tasted. Really pretty good. I am more excited about this one than I am #MyFestivus. This was bottled all glass 12oz'rs.

The last bit of news....not sure why, but deep in my bones I had this feeling that I needed to sample my Angry Bovine. I've NEVER sampled a brew before bottling. Never. But today, I just knew I needed to do this. So I did.

WOW. This is a great freaking brew. I think I am in love.

In my mind, this is going to be brewed again. And for the next Angry Bovine I am going to chase flavor and ABV.....I am envisioning an Imperial Angry Bovine.....Emperor Cow....

As I finish this round my next step is to really nail down a way to control fermenting temps. Going to get a refrigerator and Johnson controller. Want to be able to ferment at least three kegs at a time. Four would be better, while controlling/maintaining temps. My issue is with things getting too hot.....looking at the Danby 4.4 all fridge....or the Danby 11 all fridge.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Hello!

Continuing to update this project. 

Yesterday was a bottling day. I bottled my #MyFestivus. This has been fermenting three weeks. Then, based on schedule, emotions, and several other factors....I bottled my HoppedCALeXtreme, which has been fermenting for two weeks.

Okay. The #MyFestivus was due for bottling. The sample was not great, but few of my samples have been great. A bit sour. Not sure what was going on. But it has been three weeks so I bottled. 

I did a six pack in glass 12 oz. 

A bit of backstory before the next. Lately I've been using some Jameson for sanitary purposes. Wiping...soaking, etc. So I had the Jameson out out. I bottled the six pack. I thought to my self..."self, what if I put a shot of the old Irish into this German brew?" Never one to back down from a challenge, and since I already had three glass bombers sanitized, ready to dance, i added a shot of the whiskey and filled. So I've got three glass bombers of #MyFestivus with whiskey that are going to condition for a long time. after those, I bottled the rest in plastic 750. 

I then looked at my schedule and realized there was no way I would be bottling next weekend. And they weekend after? No way I could bottle my hopped CAL and my angry bovine.

So I bottled my hopped CAL Extreme. I was surprised how the sample tasted. Really pretty good. I am more excited about this one than I am #MyFestivus. This was bottled all glass 12oz'rs.

The last bit of news....not sure why, but deep in my bones I had this feeling that I needed to sample my Angry Bovine. I've NEVER sampled a brew before bottling. Never. But today, I just knew I needed to do this. So I did.

WOW. This is a great freaking brew. I think I am in love.

In my mind, this is going to be brewed again. And for the next Angry Bovine I am going to chase flavor and ABV.....I am envisioning an Imperial Angry Bovine.....Emperor Cow....

As I finish this round my next step is to really nail down a way to control fermenting temps. Going to get a refrigerator and Johnson controller. Want to be able to ferment at least three kegs at a time. Four would be better, while controlling/maintaining temps. My issue is with things getting too hot.....looking at the Danby 4.4 all fridge....or the Danby 11 all fridge.

This is the 102nd time I'm going reccomend this. Get an ink bird temp controller instead. You get a heating and cooling outlet and you can set just about anything on there. My Johnson controller cost me $65, my ink bird cost me $38. Heater cost maybe $20 which you can't even use on the Johnson. And I can digitally see the actual temp instead of having another thermometer in there to confirm my set point which always seemed to be a few degrees different than what I set. Do what I say, thank me later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

This is the 102nd time I'm going reccomend this. Get an ink bird temp controller instead. You get a heating and cooling outlet and you can set just about anything on there. My Johnson controller cost me $65, my ink bird cost me $38. Heater cost maybe $20 which you can't even use on the Johnson. And I can digitally see the actual temp instead of having another thermometer in there to confirm my set point which always seemed to be a few degrees different than what I set. Do what I say, thank me later

Alright. I am amending my earlier post. I am getting a refrigerator and an inkbird controller.

But finding a fridgy unit has been a bit of a beast. I think I've narrowed it down to a Danby 4.4. all fridge. 

• Like 1

This week:

Apricot Wheat 2g

Caribou Slobber 5g

Basil Strawberry 2g (finally)

7 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

This week:

Apricot Wheat 2g

Caribou Slobber 5g

Basil Strawberry 2g (finally)

Is there a recipe for 2g Caribou Slobber somewhere on here?