Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

I just brewed Howling Red and That Voodoo That You Do last night.  I'll be bottling a Honey Ale that I made tonight and on deck are a Morning Joe Stout, Bourbon Barrel Stout, and Dad's Cream Ale.

Can't wait!

21 minutes ago, Bach's Brews said:

Is there a recipe for 2g Caribou Slobber somewhere on here?

No, the recipe I have is from Northern Brew & I don't think that there is a 2 gallon recipe for it. 

11 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

No, the recipe I have is from Northern Brew & I don't think that there is a 2 gallon recipe for it. 

There is a 1 gallon and a 5 gallon recipe on northern brewer. Doubled up 2-1 gallon slobber recipes into a lbk last year and it turned out great. Made a 5 gallon batch split between 2 lbks but is still conditioning in the bottle right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kraig927 said:

There is a 1 gallon and a 5 gallon recipe on northern brewer. Doubled up 2-1 gallon slobber recipes into a lbk last year and it turned out great. Made a 5 gallon batch split between 2 lbks but is still conditioning in the bottle right now.

I totally forgot about the 1g recipe.  Glad it turned out great.  I hear nothing but good stuff about it.

10 hours ago, kraig927 said:

5 gallon split between 2 LBK's. Wouldn't that be pretty close to overflow or no?  Is that the first time you've done a split like that?  Just curious, because if that works I may try to do something like that soon.

I do it all the time, and many others do also.  With the right temps (mid 60s), and the right yeast (Nottingham will overflow), it works fine.

• Like 1

Bottled my Steeped Angry Bovine. This is the Angry Bovine with the steeping grains that Josh recommended.

No pics. Bottling went well. Sample tastes pretty darn good. I'm excited about this one.

I did also bottle a Special Edition Steeped Angry Bovine. 22oz glass bombers. Angry Bovine with a nice shot of Irish Whiskey. A shot of vanilla coffee. A squoosh of vanilla extract. Considering calling this one Irish Coffee Cow.

---

And that wraps up this brewing season.

To sum up - from early Feb until now I've brewed and bottled:

Hopped ESB, Sir Kenneth Blonde, Dortmunder Remixed, Gigantor Quad, #MyFestivus, Hopped CAL, Angry Bovine.

7 Batches brewed and bottled. Not bad. Of those the only one I've sampled is my Hopped ESB and it is really good. 

I also have my regular ESB that I'm working on drinking. Very good. And my Mad American Ale, which turned out really good as well.

Next up I'm going to get a fridge and temp controller. Stabilizing my fermentation temps is my goal. I think that will do a lot to improve my beers. The whole ice thing just isn't working.

Once I've got that ready, I'll get the next brewing schedule up!

Thank you everyone for your advice, guidance, support, etc. I honestly don't know if I would have kept at it without this community.

• Like 4

TASTING NOTES -

My Dortmunder Remixed and Kenneth Blonde. I put them in the fridge a few days ago. The Dortmunder is at 6 weeks and the Kenneth Blonde is at 8 weeks.

--

Dortmunder Remixed - Dortmunder Seasonal brewed as an ale. Added a pale LME and hops.

Hop schedule was:

Warrior and Saaz Hops - 10 minute boil

Williamette added at flameout

Used US 05 yeast.

Brewed on March 16, 2016; Bottled on March 26, 2016

Not sure what is going on with this one. There is a bit of a sour undercurrent. Not bitter,  but sour. Is it an infection? Other than that it is a pretty good beer. I like the hop presence. Not too forward, but strong. In hindsight I wish I would have either added two pale LMEs or added a pale and a golden. I am still not sure if I am getting these off flavors because it fermented too hot or if I pitched too hot...or maybe I did not sanitize well at bottling? I will drink it but this is not one I would share with others, at least not this particular bottle. Going to give these a couple of more weeks to mellow out and see what is what. Perhaps a bit of extra conditioning, up to the 8 week mark, will smooth things out. Not a problem. I have some other beers to drink!

---

Kenneth Blonde

Brewed according to recipe

Brewed on Saturday Feb 27; Bottled on Fri Mar 11 (1 week early).

Liking this beer. Has a nice heffenweizen thing going. Good flavor. Malt and hops in balance. Refreshing. Very refreshing. If this was poured for me at a bar I would not blink twice. I am going to give a couple of bottles of this to my father in law and see what he thinks.

Was I more careful about fermenting temps with this one? Maybe........did I sanitize the bottles better? Maybe? I am not sure. But I like this beer, at least this bottle, as it is right now. I am putting this on my ready to drink list!

--

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

bit of a sour undercurrent

Sour is the last word I'd pick to describe this beer done straight, it was already quite bitter (to my admittedly wussy palette) without a hop boil. Was it sour like cider, like vinegar, like yogurt/sour cream, etc?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MRB Tim said:

Sour is the last word I'd pick to describe this beer done straight, it was already quite bitter (to my admittedly wussy palette) without a hop boil. Was it sour like cider, like vinegar, like yogurt/sour cream, etc?

I don't know.  I might not have a refined enough palatte and vocabulary to describe it. Bitter was definitely there, and maybe the added hops create a bitterness that I am perceiving as sour? And it was an undercurrent.

Perhaps it was a bit more on the cider side. Definitely not vinegar or sour cream. 

It could be that it just needs a few more weeks to mellow out?

It was certainly drinkable. I drank it. My understanding is that if it is an infection, it is pretty hard to miss.......Trub in the bottle at bottling?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

It could be that it just needs a few more weeks to mellow out?

Conditioning is the best course of action. If it can be fixed, that's how.

SUMMER BREW SCHEDULE

I know everyone has been waiting on pins and needles to see what the next brews are, and here we are.

Still rounding out the schedule, but this is the first batch for my summer brewing - I am thinking of this as the Go Big or Go Home Belgium Collection.

Gigantor Quad 2.0 - 2 Oktober fest, 1 each of the golden, smooth, and robust LMEs, steeping chocolate, crystal 60, and munich. Hops will be some goldings and hallertau. T-58 yeast. Booster added.

Dubbel 1.0 - Bewitched Amber, 1 Smooth and 1 Golden, Saaz hops. Booster. T-58. This one is mostly to recipe except I am adding golden for a nice foamy Belgium top, and booster to round out the extra malt.

Dubbel 2.0 - Bewitched Amber, 1 golden, 2 smooth, steeping munich, crystal, and a smidge of chocolate, hops will be hood and sterling, booster added.

If I ever make it down to my LHBS I may try to grab some Special B and Belgian Aromatic to through into the steeping mix.

The big news is that I have a fermenting fridge on the way. I never found anything I liked on Craigslist so I just ordered. Danby 4.4 All fridge. I am REALLY hoping I can fit three into that bad boy, if not two will do. Going to order my temp controller on Monday. Also REALLY hoping that taking care of the wild fermenting will start to improve the flavor profile of my beer.

If everything gets her on time, I should be able to get up and in production next weekend.

• Like 6

plans on sunday to bottle some beer, ok, a lot of beer... 

5 gallons of blue moon clone

5 gallons of belgian blanc

10 gallons oberon clone

that should be enough freaking wheat beers to last the whole summer.

bottling straight from four kegs with the blichmann beer gun. First time using it, sound be fun and easy, hopefully. I need to start drinking to make sure we have enough bottles

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

plans on sunday to bottle some beer, ok, a lot of beer... 

5 gallons of blue moon clone

5 gallons of belgian blanc

10 gallons oberon clone

that should be enough freaking wheat beers to last the whole summer.

bottling straight from four kegs with the blichmann beer gun. First time using it, sound be fun and easy, hopefully. I need to start drinking to make sure we have enough bottles

You ole beer squirrelin' s.o.b., you! ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

30 more gallons fermenting...

I cant really claim that though. My brew buddy has been keeping "boil over brewery" going since my boy was born. He made 10 gallons of some double IPA, 10 gallons of spotted cow clone and 10 gallons of a fat tire clone in the last 3 weeks. Hes been one busy boy. Hopefully he lets me in on some of these. I have 4 gallons of MRB to bargain with. 

• Like 2

Ok, got my cart all ready on Ritebrew.com for my next three batches

4 gal Creepy Winter Clone

2.25 Gallon cIPtrA which is turning into a cascade IPA instead... Dont tell anyone

6.5 Gallon Intolerant Zombie, my Zombie Dust clone Gluten Free Style

That and 20 gallons of wheat beer should take care of summer.  Grand total minus yeast $50, Im cool with that ;)

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:33 AM, MrWhy said:

To me, Istanbul will always be Constantinople.

kinda late on the like button............

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I cant really claim that though. My brew buddy has been keeping "boil over brewery" going since my boy was born. He made 10 gallons of some double IPA, 10 gallons of spotted cow clone and 10 gallons of a fat tire clone in the last 3 weeks. Hes been one busy boy. Hopefully he lets me in on some of these. I have 4 gallons of MRB to bargain with. 

fat tire is good stuff!, i'm bottling mine later today, would do it now but i'm still drunk from yesterday, and its 2 a.m. I had a near mini keg explosion so I had to tap into it yesterday, it was my northwest chinook ipa. its fabulous, but wanted to wait longer but had no choice, and when the keg is empty i'm going to have to recycle it, sad but it cud be wore I could have lost it all

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, MRB Tim said:

Conditioning is the best course of action. If it can be fixed, that's how.

Look at You!!! tell josh to get in the back seat! bcuz Oh Mighty Tim is Taking Over!!!!!       ( Oh Mighty Tim, reference to the Holy Grail movie )

• Like 1

Alright!

The Danby 4.4 fridge is in, the inkbird is set up. It is time to start brewing again.

That is the good news. The somewhat bad news - despite seeing multiple posts where people talked about fitting three LBKs in it, I am just not seeing how it is possible. See the pic below. I've tried every possible combination, including going no shelve and just stacking the kegs on top of each other, but it is just not fitting. I've gone side by side, etc. The only thing I can think is that I would need to cut plastic off the door....but that might be beyond my skill set at the moment.

Part of me just wants to buy one more small fridge......

IMG_2766.JPG

• Like 2

People remove the plastic door panel and replace it with a flat sheet of whiteboard material to fit kegs (not sure what model or if LBKS would fit).  

Also remember that when you prop up the front of the LBK it is a tad shorter. And measure with the spigot attached of course.

https://www.google.com/search?q=danby+fridge+brewing+door+panel&oq=danby+fridge+brewing+door+panel

• Like 1

Back to Action.

Summer Brewing - The Belgian Blast

May 21 

Quadzilla Quad 2.0

Double Dubbel Abbey Dubbel 2.0

Brewed these up today, first time doing two steeping grain brews in one day and running them concurrently (started one as the other was finishing.)

Quadzilla 

Steeped/Mashed Munich, Crystal 60, and some chocolate malt.

Booster

Robust, Smooth, and Golden LME's 

Goldings and Hallertau for a 10 minute boil

Wine yeast at boil (extra nutrient for the yeast.)

2 Oktoberfest HMEs

T-58

There was a lot of liquid/malt so I brought down the temp with an ice bath before putting it into the LBK. Looks like i pitched the yeast at 70.

Double Dubbel

Steeped/mashed Munich and Crystal and just a touch of chocolate malt

Golden, and 2 Smooth LMEs

Hood and Sterling for a 5 minute boil

Wine yeast at boil 

1 Bewitched Amber

T-58

With the almost freezer cold water, this ended up pitching at 70 too.

Alright. Three weeks in the fermenting fridge for these bad boys and then a LONG condition. These are going to be some ready by winter beers.

A few things...found another refrigerator on sale.......and I could not resist. So I am adding another "fermenting" chamber. Go Me!!!!! It is a different brand but I think I will be able to fit two more LBKs in. Ordered another temp control unit as well....#GOMEDOUBLE!

So with that, the brewing production is increasing.

Took advantage of this little sale the MrBeer people put together and ordered up some things, and a fourth LBK.

Belgian Blast continues. Once my two big boys are done fermenting and bottled going to brew up

Abbey Double Standard - no steeping grains. Almost to recipe. I have this on hand already.

Belgian Wit - the partial mash one. On sale it is a great deal.

Then I am going to work up two more CAL experiments. My first went real well so #madscientist here I come.

My base for both of these is CAL + Booster + Pale + Gold

For one I am going to work some arrangement of Fuggle, Goldings, and Columbus 

For the other I am going to hop it with Warrior, Palisade, and Hallertau.

Looking forward to both.

#brewlife

• Like 2

Upcoming things i cant forget tondo: rack my lager into a secondary tomorrow night, start cold crashing the gluten free maybe on wednesday? Started the DR on my lager late last night, that wouldve been day 9 and saw some nice air lock activity at about 20 seconds intervals when i was perving today. Then i start the temp lowering stage. Reccomended 5 defrees per day but i may do 3 just cuz i have the time. Thinking about kegging it instead of bottling to avoid having to splurge on another packet of yeast. Bought some nice conditioning tablets off amazon though. Not sure if ill use them on any of these two beers. Everything is always undecided until i decide

• Like 2

Okay! The second brewing is installed and in effect. Heck Ya!!!! I can now ferment four LBKs at a controlled temp at one time. This is awesome. And it works out great because I have four LBKs! This is 10 gallons of potential beer at any given time.

Right now -

6/11 - Bottled my Quadzilla

6/12 - Brewed my Hoppy CAL (CAL + Booster + Pale + Gold, hopped with Warrior, Palisade, and Hallertau)

Still need to bottle up my Double Dubbel that is fermenting. Need to get to it this week, or by the weekend at the latest.

Still have to brew up -

Another Hoppy CAL (this one with Fuggle, Goldings, and Columbus); another Dubbel, and a nice PM Pale Belgian (the Whit your Whistle).

The last thing is a super hopped ESB that I am dreaming up.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Okay! The second brewing is installed and in effect. Heck Ya!!!! I can now ferment four LBKs at a controlled temp at one time. This is awesome. And it works out great because I have four LBKs! This is 10 gallons of potential beer at any given time.

Now youll need a bottling bucket if you dont already have one... 

PS i bought the brewers best conditioning tablets, really excited. I popped some in my gluten free before i batch primed the rest. Theyre smaller so you can really dial in the carb you want! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

Now youll need a bottling bucket if you dont already have one... 

PS i bought the brewers best conditioning tablets, really excited. I popped some in my gluten free before i batch primed the rest. Theyre smaller so you can really dial in the carb you want! 

Bottling bucket.....a kegging system....a conditioning beer cave....

The possibilities are endless!

I do not have a bottling bucket yet. I've still been doing the whole one bottle at a time thing......barbaric. Simply barbaric....

• Like 1

#HUBRIS

6/13 - Brewed up another Hoppy CAL. 

Booster+Pale LME + Golden

15 Minute Hop Boil

15 Minute - Columbus and Goldings

5 Minute - Fuggle

--

Add CAL.

---

Darn it. Was in a rush to get this done so I threw some water in the freezer, hoping it would get cold enough to do what it needed to do. It didn't and I pitched way too warm. It is in the fermenting fridge now, hoping to bring the temperature down before too much damage is done.

Bottled up my Double Dubbel.

Abbey Dubbel Recipe with some added LMEs, steeping grains, and a different hop profile.

This ended up four weeks in the LBK.

All went well and it tasted outstanding. The strong hops flavor has melted into the beer and I am getting some belgian fruit notes from the yeast. 

This feels like a big beer. I can taste that alcohol bite in it, but it doesn't feel like it is going to need months to condition out. 

Brewed up my Weak Wit.

Steeping Grains - Red wheat and Pilsen malt.

2 Gold LME's

Booster

Hallertau at flame out

T-58

--

Probably used too much grain. Definitely more than half the bag for each. Kept temps pretty stable. Around 150 for 30 minutes. Used an ice bath to bring the wort temp down to 80. That with cold enough water (not refrigerator cold, but cold) got my wort temp down to an acceptable level for pitching the yeast. Not pitching too hot again!

I call this the Weak Wit because I did not use any orange zest or coriander. So this is less Blue Moon and more....I don't know. More not Blue Moon. I will let this ferment up and see where it goes.

--

EDIT - The HME was Bavarian Weiss!!! And it was Pilsen, not pilsner!

• Like 1

MrWhy did you use a HME or did you just bump up the steeping grains?

• Like 1

Well, how much of each did you use? Also the Pilsner you used, do you mean you got regular pilsner malt and are steeping it?(except for carapils{if it is}, I've seen no form of non fermentable pilsner malt, learn me something) If so, I honestly would suggest you get an equal amount of malted wheat (per the Reinheitsgebot) and do a partial mash...you'll get more bang for the buck.

• Like 1

@Adam10 & @Jim Johnson

I did the "Whit Your Whistle" Partial Mash Recipe minus the coriander and orange.

I forgot to put that I used the Bavarian HME. And it was Pilsen Malt, not Pilsner. Typo!

I did about an equal amount of wheat and pilsen and I think I did a partial mash. I kept the grains at 150 for 30 minutes. That would be a partial mash right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Brewing for the first time in quite awhile this weekend. Heres whats on the menu

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

Something looks a little screwy, Creeps.  If I'm reading this right it has your HME listed as a hop in the Night Walker Bone Warmer.  It could also be that I'm up wayyy to early.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Something looks a little screwy, Creeps.  If I'm reading this right it has your HME listed as a hop in the Night Walker Bone Warmer.  It could also be that I'm up wayyy to early.

AC, you are up way too early! 

Mom not sure about the program, but it should be accounting for the IBUs in the HME. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Big Sarge said:

AC, you are up way too early! 

Mom not sure about the program, but it should be accounting for the IBUs in the HME. 

Sarge, did you just call me mom?  I'm not sure how to respond to that, Sir!  Hahaha!  :)  :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Sarge, did you just call me mom?  I'm not sure how to respond to that, Sir!  Hahaha!  :)  :)

Oh hell! It was 5:00 am for me when I wrote that!

1 hour ago, Big Sarge said:

Oh hell! It was 5:00 am for me when I wrote that!

No worries, Sarge. I still love ya!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

No worries, Sarge. I still love ya!

Like only a mother could? :lol:

• Like 2

Alright, big brwing weekend coming up.  Heres what I have planned:

Slawson Saison

Recipe   Slawson Saison   Style   Saison
Brewer       Batch   7.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.070 OG   Estimated FG   1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness   34 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   6.7%
Recipe Color   8° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.3%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.00 lb   Victory Malt   Grain   Mashed
3.00 lb   Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US beers of all types   Grain   Mashed
0.50 lb   CaraPils - [Body, Head]   Grain   Mashed
3.74 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Classic American Light   Extract   Extract
1.87 lb   Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier   Extract   Extract
3.30 lb   Briess LME - Pilsen Light   Extract   Extract
1.00 lb   Briess DME - Pilsen Light   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
1.00 oz   Mt. Hood - Aroma -Mild, herbal and somewhat pungent or spicy   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Columbus - Dual purpose hop with intense earthy and faint citrus character. Use in American ales   Pellet   30 minutes
0.50 oz   Columbus - Dual purpose hop with intense earthy and faint citrus character. Use in American ales   Pellet   10 minutes
2.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Classic American Light   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian Weissbier   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Columbus - Dual purpose hop with intense earthy and faint citrus character. Use in American ales   Pellet   0 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Generic   Other   Dan Star Saison Belle Yeast

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

And then batch # 2:

Big Boy Hopped Lager

Recipe   Big Boy Hopped Lager   Style   American IPA
Brewer       Batch   5.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.075 OG   Estimated FG   1.019 FG
Recipe Bitterness   66 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   7.2%
Recipe Color   11° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   5.7%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.00 lb   Victory Malt   Grain   Mashed
3.00 lb   Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US beers of all types   Grain   Mashed
0.50 lb   CaraPils - [Body, Head]   Grain   Mashed
1.87 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Extract   Extract
1.87 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Extract   Extract
3.30 lb   Briess LME - Golden Light   Extract   Extract
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
0.50 oz   Simcoe - Bittering woodsy pine, mahogany/walnut wood aroma, with some resinous/candy-like and citrus character.   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   60 minutes
0.50 oz   Simcoe - Bittering woodsy pine, mahogany/walnut wood aroma, with some resinous/candy-like and citrus character.   Pellet   20 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   20 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   10 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Mr. Beer/Coopers Patriot American Lager   Pellet   5 minutes
1.00 oz   Citra - Musky tropical fruit and strong citrus make this a great flavor/aroma hop very fruity   Pellet   0 minutes
0.50 oz   Amarillo - Floral, tropical, and citrus. Excellent flavor/aroma hop for American ales   Pellet   0 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Saflager W-34/70 Weihenstephan   Yeast   Temperature Range: 48°-59° F 11.5 GRAMS

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

• Like 2

Holiday Spiced Ale and Brown Nut Ale hopefully this weekend, but I may have to wait until I bottle at least one of the 5 things I have fermenting.  

Caribou Slobber

Brickwarmer Holiday Red

Smoked Porter

Smoked Stout

Juniper Berry IPA

• Like 1

Saison on the left, IPL on the right. Not pictured is the ale pail for the IPL, that is currently my sanitizer pail. 

IMG_1253.JPG

• Like 3

Currently fermenting Lemony WIt

Next up:

Golden One with some grains (Carapils and Biscuit malt)

Diablo with Cascade Dry hop

Zombiefest with Pumpkin Spice Cheerios added after 1 week fermentation - (in cooler)

Calavera Chile Stout

Next, Next up

Cooper's 6 gal Sparkling Ale kit in 3 LBKs

1. Standard recipe

2. Standard + Pride of Ringwood at flameout

3. Subst Sparkling Amber DME instead of the light DME and add Fuggles at Flameout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Currently fermenting Lemony WIt

Next up:

Golden One with some grains (Carapils and Biscuit malt)

Diablo with Cascade Dry hop

Zombiefest with Pumpkin Spice Cheerios added after 1 week fermentation

Next, Next up

Cooper's 6 gal Sparkling Ale kit in 3 LBKs

1. Standard recipe

2. Standard + Pride of Ringwood at flameout

3. Subst Sparkling Amber DME instead of the light DME and add Fuggles at Flameout.

Interesting ingredient choice! Let us know how it turns out!

It was a series of things coming together.

It is everything Pumpkin time and  my daughter mentioned she had them in Az,

+ I did not want to mess with ACTUAL PUMPKIN this year

+ past Pumpkin ales have been based on Oktoberfest

+ I remembered the Lucky Charms Milk Stout

then

my wife was visiting her to cheer her in a marathon race

+ You posted the Zombiefest recipe

AND I thought .............AHA!

So.........my wife brought me back a cup of the Cheerios to put in it.  

Oh - and I added the Calavera Chile Stout to the list.

And Boston Lager clone next on cooler after the Zombiefest.

• Like 1

Peace and love fellow brewers.

It has been many, many moons. The stories I could, and eventually will, tell you of this time are both epic and humbling.

Here is where we stand with this prior round of brewing.

The simple Wit turned into an unbelievably tasty session beer. It is not outstanding...but it's basic drinkability makes it more than it should be. 

The Abbey Dubbel continues to condition, as does quad 2.0. But I just had a big bottle of the quad 2.0, poured in a big mug. I am a bit toasty because it is a malty, high ABV, tasty, bastard.

Both of the CAL+ turned out very interesting. The fuggle/warrior one is spicy, hoppy and unique in a good way. The golding's one is what I would describe as a strong english ale.

I am onto my next batch of brews. I took advantage of a recent sale to pick up some of the last seasonals. 

Using the Baltic Porters I concocted two high ABV brews. One was an imperial porter...the other was a brown belgian beast.

Will update at the appropriate time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Peace and love fellow brewers.

It has been many, many moons. The stories I could, and eventually will, tell you of this time are both epic and humbling.

Here is where we stand with this prior round of brewing.

The simple Wit turned into an unbelievably tasty session beer. It is not outstanding...but it's basic drinkability makes it more than it should be. 

The Abbey Dubbel continues to condition, as does quad 2.0. But I just had a big bottle of the quad 2.0, poured in a big mug. I am a bit toasty because it is a malty, high ABV, tasty, bastard.

Both of the CAL+ turned out very interesting. The fuggle/warrior one is spicy, hoppy and unique in a good way. The golding's one is what I would describe as a strong english ale.

I am onto my next batch of brews. I took advantage of a recent sale to pick up some of the last seasonals. 

Using the Baltic Porters I concocted two high ABV brews. One was an imperial porter...the other was a brown belgian beast.

Will update at the appropriate time.

Like, in 7 or 8 months? B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Like, in 7 or 8 months? B)

With my Brown Belgian Beast I might need closer to 14 months!

• Like 1

I was thinking of starting a new thread...something like the The Adventure Begins Again. But I like the history of my early brewing here so I'm just going to keep it going.

Here is where I am at. Started back up brewing a few weeks ago. All jokes about an epic adventure aside, it has been quite a tumultuous time since  I was last active here and brewing. 

2/4 -Brewed Imperial Baltic Porter (will bottle 3/4)

2/19 - Brewed Brown Belgian Beast (will bottle 3/12 or 3/19)

Notes - The Brown Belgian Beast is less Mad Scientist and more Drunk Scientist. I am still not sure what I was thinking....well, I know I was thinking "let's make a big brown belgian beast" but perhaps it was not the most sane idea. It is my first beer that overflowed the LBK so I've spent a better part of the morning trying to clean the floor and the fridge.  I am thinking with everything I put into that bad boy, it is one of those that might take a year or more to condition out properly. I am patient.

Took advantage of the sale and ordered up a Lock Stock and Barrel and a Slap Hoppy Stout. (Right now I am in a big and bold phase). Lock Stock will be brewed according to recipe. I am going to kick the Slap Hoppy Stout up a notch with the addition of some more LMEs and hops. Maybe the Double Slap Hoppy Stout.

After those I've got a couple of the imperial red to brew up, and I want to get in a few more of my CAL+ recipes going.

It is going to be a busy few months of brewing.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 11:36 AM, MrWhy said:

I was thinking of starting a new thread...something like the The Adventure Begins Again. But I like the history of my early brewing here so I'm just going to keep it going.

Here is where I am at. Started back up brewing a few weeks ago. All jokes about an epic adventure aside, it has been quite a tumultuous time since  I was last active here and brewing. 

2/4 -Brewed Imperial Baltic Porter (will bottle 3/4)

2/19 - Brewed Brown Belgian Beast (will bottle 3/12 or 3/19)

Notes - The Brown Belgian Beast is less Mad Scientist and more Drunk Scientist. I am still not sure what I was thinking....well, I know I was thinking "let's make a big brown belgian beast" but perhaps it was not the most sane idea. It is my first beer that overflowed the LBK so I've spent a better part of the morning trying to clean the floor and the fridge.  I am thinking with everything I put into that bad boy, it is one of those that might take a year or more to condition out properly. I am patient.

Took advantage of the sale and ordered up a Lock Stock and Barrel and a Slap Hoppy Stout. (Right now I am in a big and bold phase). Lock Stock will be brewed according to recipe. I am going to kick the Slap Hoppy Stout up a notch with the addition of some more LMEs and hops. Maybe the Double Slap Hoppy Stout.

After those I've got a couple of the imperial red to brew up, and I want to get in a few more of my CAL+ recipes going.

It is going to be a busy few months of brewing.

ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE, MR. WHY!  "The Adventure Begins Again"...Pfft!!  What the hell is that crap?!?!  When YOU'RE telling us a story it MUST begin like THIS......

• Like 4

On 2/22/2017 at 2:15 AM, AnthonyC said:

ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE, MR. WHY!  "The Adventure Begins Again"...Pfft!!  What the hell is that crap?!?!  When YOU'RE telling us a story it MUST begin like THIS......

It is going to take me at least three weeks to get my narrative structure back...

• Like 1

On 6/13/2016 at 8:32 PM, MrWhy said:

#HUBRIS

6/13 - Brewed up another Hoppy CAL. 

Booster+Pale LME + Golden

15 Minute Hop Boil

15 Minute - Columbus and Goldings

5 Minute - Fuggle

--

Add CAL.

---

Darn it. Was in a rush to get this done so I threw some water in the freezer, hoping it would get cold enough to do what it needed to do. It didn't and I pitched way too warm. It is in the fermenting fridge now, hoping to bring the temperature down before too much damage is done.

I'm drinking one of these right now. Bottled it on June 27.  By my calculation it has been conditioning for a good 8 months.

Really good beer. I like this a lot. It has a nice hops flavor from the Columbus and Goldings, and the aroma from the Fuggle is there, but not overpowering. It could definitely pass for an British IPA of some sort. Or a west coast take on an English Pale.

GoldingsPale.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrWhy said:

I'm drinking one of these right now. Bottled it on June 27.  By my calculation it has been conditioning for a good 8 months.

Really good beer. I like this a lot. It has a nice hops flavor from the Columbus and Goldings, and the aroma from the Fuggle is there, but not overpowering. It could definitely pass for an British IPA of some sort. Or a west coast take on an English Pale.

GoldingsPale.jpg

nice and clear too!

• Like 1

3/4/17 -Bottled Imperial Baltic Porter

3/4/17 - Brewed Double Slap Hoppy Stout

---

Bottled the Imperial Baltic Porter. Sample had strong notes of banana. Strong alcohol too. I am hoping the banana mellows out. This one is going to condition for a long time. I am aiming at 10 months or so. Won't be touching this one until 2018 it looks like. 

Brewed up my Double Slap Hoppy Stout. This is the Slap Hoppy Stout Recipe plus. 

Slap Hoppy is

2 stout HMEs

1 robust

Golding and Northern Brewer dry hopped for 2 weeks

S04 Yeast.

I went ...

1 Robust and 2 smooths

1 pack Goldings and 1 pack NB hop boiled 15 minutes...pull and discard

1 pack G, 1 pack NB put in wort

Add 2 stout HMEs

bring to a very light boil

transfer to LBK......

Add S04

I think I am still fermenting too warm so for this one I dropped the fridge temp WAY down (for me) to 62.........hoping to prevent an overflow as well as any off flavors. I'm not looking for a Belgium here!!!!

• Like 1

Gigantor Quad 2.0 - 2 Oktober fest, 1 each of the golden, smooth, and robust LMEs, steeping chocolate, crystal 60, and munich. Hops will be some goldings and hallertau. T-58 yeast. Booster added.

Drinking up the quad from above. It was bottled on June 11, 2016, So just about 9 months conditioning.

First - great flavor. A nice, sweet, malty quad with good flavors from the yeast.

Second - I am not sure what went wrong with this batch but I did not get any carbonation. All of them have been flat. And no head whatsoever. Not sure exactly what I did wrong for this batch.

But overall this was a great beer. Not sure how many I have left, and I'll be sad to see it gone.

IMG_4608.thumb.JPG.7698c651561034378c62357104eb28c6.JPG

The Brewing Season

Here is what I am aiming at from now through the end of June. (I don't brew in July).

Beers

So Far:

Imperial Porter (done and bottled)

Brown Belgian Beast (fermenting)

Slap Hoppy Stout Plus (fermenting

To Be Brewed:

Lock Stock and Barrel Stout 

Imperial Red Ale

Redo Ale (redoing the first beer I brewed.)

Classic Angry Bovine

Centennial Hopped American Ale

Lock Stock Barrel Lite - Lock stock barrel minus grains, 1 HME, less LME, using rum oak chips

Hopped Imperial Red Ale (maybe warrior?)

5 Gallon Belgian Quad (first 5 gallon kit split with 2 LBKs)....maybe.....or maybe the abbey ale 2.0

----

3/11 - Brew Lock Stock Barrel

3/18 - Bottle Brown Belgian Beast

3/25 - Brew Imperial Red Ale/Bottle Slap Hoppy Stout

4/1 - Bottle Lock Stock Barrel

4/8 - Brew Redo Ale

4/15 - Bottle Imperial Red Ale

4/22 - Brew Angry Bovine

4/29 - Bottle Redo Ale

5/6 - Brew Hopped American Ale

5/13 - Bottle Angry Bovine

5/20 - Brew Lock Stock Barrel Lite

5/27 - Bottle Hopped American Ale

6/3 - Brew Hopped Imperial Red Ale

6/10 - Bottle Lock Stock Barrel Lite

6/17 - Brew 5 gallon quad (maybe)

6/24 - Bottle Hopped Imperial Red

7/8 - bottle 5 gallon quad (maybe)

----

Not bad. Fairly ambitious, but doable. One thing I learned from my last season was, for me, not scheduling a brewing/bottling session for the same weekend. (I have one, but I wasn't planning well.) This means that any given week I only have one thing to do. So if I end up busy Saturday, brew Sunday. If I can't bottle on the weekend, bottle Friday night.

Now the problem is - where do I store all of this, especially now that I have learned patience and am in no rush to try the beer before it is ready.

Having enough bottles is also going to be a problem. I am only bottling in the 750 ml now - plastic or glass. I don't care.

--

I will amend this as I go. It is not set in stone. A good sale could change everything. 

9 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

One thing I learned from my last season was, for me, not scheduling a brewing/bottling session for the same weekend. (I have one, but I wasn't planning well.)

I'm the opposite.  I bottle a batch, thoroughly clean the LBK, and since it's right there all clean in the kitchen already, I brew up my next batch and toss it in there.  I only have two LBKs, though, so I'm only doing this about every 10 days.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I'm the opposite.  I bottle a batch, thoroughly clean the LBK, and since it's right there all clean in the kitchen already, I brew up my next batch and toss it in there.  I only have two LBKs, though, so I'm only doing this about every 10 days.

Yeah. I can definitely see that. 

One thing I love about Mr.Beer, and one of the things that keeps me firmly on #teamMrBeer, is that the brewing process is broken into manageable times. So you don't end up spending the whole day bottling, or  the whole day brewing. For me, with work and family schedule, etc. I love knowing that I can spend a part of the evening and be done bottling. Or brewing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

I do all mine on weekends.  I brew on a Saturday and then bottle 20 days later on a Friday evening.  If I have plans for that Friday, I still have an extra day to bottle and stay at 21 days in the fermenter.  If I can't brew on a Saturday, I have that Sunday.

One thing to note is, I have no outside life.  I'm single, and in a part of Louisville that has very few activities.  To do something fun in Louisville, I have to drive about 20-40 minutes, and I don't want to risk driving that far back with a few in me.

• Like 1

My brewing schedule is more demanding on the weekends, but ends in May.  I started last May, and had all types of temperature control issues, mostly because I'm in an up-stairs apartment.  Trying to keep the apartment at 68 to help conditioning and fermenting would be very expensive during the summer.

My plans right now are, two LBKs this weekend, three next weekend, then the 6 gallon fermenter the weekend after.  Then repeat, repeat, repeat until early May.  Actual items to brew....not sure yet. 

• Like 1

My normal schedule runs something like this.... Brew on Sundays, put fermenter in for cold crash on Wednesdays, bottle Saturdays. This weekend my brewing is gonna be a Raspberry Wheat in honor of Jim Johnson (MrB Kit) and a 5gal AG (BIAB) batch of Bleeding Buckeye (recipe courtesy of Elevator brewing company in Columbus Ohio) and maybe another MrB kit... not sure though... also gonna dry hop my Wuffles batch and be ready to cold crash it for bottling next weekend.

• Like 1

Friday March 10 -

Brewed the Lock Stock and Barrel Stout.

Brewed it according to the recipe, but I forgot to put the chocolate malt into the grain bill. Fairly sure this is not going to wreck the beer. In fact, fairly sure it is going to be just fine. I'm not a big fan of chocolate malt anyways.

Other than that, all went well. My only concern is that I think I pitched at too high a temp again. I did not take the wort temp before pitching the yeast. I should have. I followed the Mr. Beer protocol. Refrigerator cold water. Pour in the hot wort. Even topped it off with Refrigerator cold water. The partial mash recipes are a lot more hot liquid than the standard recipes. Especially this one with 3 LMEs and 2 HMEs.

Oh well. At this point it is a moot point. 

I have my fermenting fridge kicking to try and get everything cooled down to better temps.

Question I must ask someone - am I reading correctly that after two weeks I pour in the soaked oak chips AND the bourbon in which they soak?

3 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Question I must ask someone - am I reading correctly that after two weeks I pour in the soaked oak chips AND the bourbon in which they soak?

That's how I read it and what I did.  I'll be trying my first one a week from today; if it's too "bourbony" I'll let you know.  Be warned, though, that I'm a big whisky fan and the concept of "too bourbony" might not exist for me. :)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shrike said:

That's how I read it and what I did.  I'll be trying my first one a week from today; if it's too "bourbony" I'll let you know.  Be warned, though, that I'm a big whisky fan and the concept of "too bourbony" might not exist for me. :)

@Shrike you sound like my kind of brewer.

We should have another thread dedicated to bourbons.

• Like 1

@Shrike - while we are at it - what did you use for your oak chips? I ended up using George Dickel Rye....I just realized this means I am not doing a a bourbon oak stout after all.

I didn't figure a lot of nuance would be detectable in the final beer, so I went inexpensive:  Evan Williams.  The only other bourbon I had on hand at the time was Booker's, and I just enjoy sipping that too much to use it in the beer. :)

The rye you used should make a good final product; just a touch less sweetness and a little more spice to it.  I'd drink it!

• Like 2

Bottled my Brown Belgian Beast.

On tasting, the first thing that came to my mind was "wow. This shit tastes like a dead cow."

Disgusting.

But I am a home brewer and I will persevere!!! This disgusting brew has been bottled and will sit for a year or so. Then we will see what is what.

A few notes:

* Try to avoid being glassy eyed drunk when brewing.

* I sprinkled a bit of yeast from a Mr. Beer yeast back into each bottle. This beer had  a ton of malt and what not in it. I figured a bit of conditioning help may not hurt. But what do I know.

Never give up on your beer! This is one where my first instinct was to just toss. It sucks. But how do I know it sucks? It just might need time. Maybe a wild yeast or something will get into one of the bottles and create a sublime experience? Regardless....you have to give you beer time to become what it was meant to become. After a year....if it sucks....well then it sucks. But until then, collect your bottles, secure some space, and create the ability to just sit on something for a long time.

• Like 3

Two things on for this noche ("night").

First I bottled my Slap Hoppy Stout.

I've not got the time to go back and see what I did for this brew. As Elsa says...the past is in the past...#footstomp

That being said, bottling sample was not terrible. Sometimes I got a whiff of banana. Other times a whiff of unicorn heaven. I am too old and  too far along in this journey to give any heed to bottling day shenanigans. The beer is going to be what it is going to be at this point. Just let it become.

However.....the ease of bottling in the Mr.B plastic bottles is  very compelling......(did I mention I bottled this batch in the MrB 750 plastic?) In fact...it was so easy that I am wondering if I would not be happier just bottling 90% in these? It is something to ponder.

After bottling I did something I've never done before. I opened an LBK before bottling! I feel so....

......adult......

It was time to put my rye soaked oak chips into the LBK of my Lock Stock and Loaded.

Wow. That was an amazing smell. Not sure if did this mess right, but I just put chips in container, covered in rye back when I brewed it all up. Then tonight I dumped the whole chaos into the LBK. Not all the chips wanted to go. GO HOME CHIPS! DONT YOU WANT TO BE HOME IN YOUR LBK!!! Normally I would have scooped the rest with my finger (infection be damned) but for this one played it safe. I shake rattled and rolled my the best I could. What didn't go in didn't go to the LBK. I scooped it with my finger and sucked the rye soaked goodness out with my mouth. (NSFW)

These beers are going to be a long wait. 

Hard to wrap my head around the fact that I won't be reporting on these until 2018!!!!!

• Like 2

Today brewed up my Hopped Imperial IRA.

Water and 3 Smooth LME

Bring water to light boil and stir in 3 smooth LMEs

Hops:

Centennial @ 20

Centennial and Cascade @ 10

Cascade @ 5

-

Let settle

Stir in IRA Seasonal

Pour to Keg, stir, add yeast, put in fermenting fridge.

---------

Looking forward to this one. Decided to mix up the hop schedule a bit. Loaded the Cent at the front (20 and 10) for more flavor, and put the cascade at the back (10 and 5) to emphasize a bit more aroma. 

The process was smooth and easy.

Any new brewers reading this, a few thoughts....

You have time! No need to rush, frizzle, or get panicked. At each step, pause, think about what you are doing, and think about what you are going to do. This is not surgery where seconds matter and lives are at stake. You have time to slow down the process and think. What am I doing now? What do I need to do next? Do I have what I need now? Do I have what I need next?

Just this slowing down and thinking will not only prevent mistakes, but it will also allow you to develop a fine tuned and efficient process FOR YOU.

You have time! The yeast does not need to be sprinkled in the second the wort is in the LBK! The wort does not need to transferred the second you think you are done. There is not any need to rush.

• Like 2

April 2 -

Bottled the Lock, Stock, and Barrel Stout.

Nothing much of interest to report. The sample was definitely oak forward. I understand why it is recommended to let this one sit and condition for a long time. Used the Mr. Beer bottles. Put them in the Mr. Beer bottle box. Put a little sticker on the outside of the box with today's date. And I put the box away. Time to forget about this one until 2018.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

April 2 -

Bottled the Lock, Stock, and Barrel Stout.

Nothing much of interest to report. The sample was definitely oak forward. I understand why it is recommended to let this one sit and condition for a long time. Used the Mr. Beer bottles. Put them in the Mr. Beer bottle box. Put a little sticker on the outside of the box with today's date. And I put the box away. Time to forget about this one until 2018.

I tried one after five months and it was great.  So I plan on having one a month to see how they develop.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I tried one after five months and it was great.  So I plan on having one a month to see how they develop.

I might try one around Thanksgiving time and at Christmas. That will put them at 8/9 months conditioning.

Saturday April 8, 2017

Spring into Summer brewing continues. Today, a bit of a switch for the proposed scheduled. Was supposed to brew up my Redo Ale, but haven't been able to pick up my box of supplies from the in-laws. So the Angry Bovine Redo was swapped.

Last time I brewed up the Angry Bovine I used a steeping grains that @MRB Josh R had suggested. It turned out real well.

This time, I took the recipe for the most part as is. The only thing I did was I added 1 more robust (so instead of 1 robust, 1 smooth, I went 2 robust, 1 smooth) and I added some Goldings at flameout.

Looking forward to this. The last Angry Bovine was really good.

• Like 2

Friday April 14 -

I am going a bit off my spring/summer schedule and doubling up on a brewing/bottling weekend.  I have the time and I figure upping production is never a bad thing. This may free me up to brew some of my Mexican/Belgian War beers sooner rather than later.

So today rotated in my Redo Anniversary Ale.  It is a redo of the first beer I ever brewed. (Get it....the Redo/Anniversary Ale!) The first one was a complete shit show and tasted like a Belgian Green Apple Cider for a long time. But then again I think I tried the first one at a week.......my concept of a long time was a lot different back then.

This was a very reflective brewing session. I had a glass of my quad. I had a big mug of Kirin. As I brewed I realized how much more enjoyable the process is now than those first few beers. Those first few there was stress, indecision, a lot of questioning. This one, I knew what I wanted to do, I knew how to do. I had no sense of rush or urgency, and I haven't for a long time.

One thing I did this time, something that i am getting more disciplined about, is I made sure to lower my wort temp before pitching. I put the pot (with a lid on)  in the sink with cold water and ice. I made sure the wort was below 90 degrees before adding it to the LBK with refrigerator cold water and ended up pitching the yeast at 65.

This might be a bit too cold. I would prefer pitching closer to 80. But honestly, what the eff do I know? I am sure this beer is going to end up better than the first time I brewed it.

The Redo/Anniversary Ale 

American Ale HME

Booster

Gold LME

Smooth LME

Double Saaz 5 minute boil

T-58 Yeast.

What I am aiming for here is something along the lines of a nice Belgian Pale....but amber. (I guess I am aiming for a Belgian Amber.)  The goal here is drinkability.  My first one, despite all my mistakes, had flashes of it.  My Belgian Wit minus the orange and coriander was a brilliantly subdued beer....so I am hoping this one (minus steeping grains) comes close.

Next year I will be looking to add some steeping grains and try to make a subtly complex Belgian amber.

But for this year, I am excited to see how this turns out. 

• Like 1

once my taxes come in... plans to get a tank of propane and the grains etc to make a chimay red clone. gonna do a proper decoction mash too. lots of extra work ! yay! hooray for over complication!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

once my taxes come in... plans to get a tank of propane and the grains etc to make a chimay red clone. gonna do a proper decoction mash too. lots of extra work ! yay! hooray for over complication!

The one thing that could possibly move me into the all grain world would be to do a proper belgian quad....specifically a Chimay Blue. 

That's awesome that you're getting something back! Just finished our taxes yesterday.....not a good year!!!!!!

4/15/17

--

Just bottle my Hopped Imperial IRA.

I think I am going to like this one a lot. Just pulled a sample shot out of the fridge. There is a nice bitterness/bite and a strong presence of both the cascade and the centennial.

I think I am going to let these condition 6...maybe 8 weeks and then try a bottle. I don't want to lose too much of the hops with a long condition. I will definitely keep a few for a longer conditioning, but the bulk of these I hope to drink during the summer.

Upping my production to get more brewed in the beginning of summer. Really want to get my Mexi/Belgi beers brewed up.

Going to rework my schedule and see what I can get done.

Dry river rye is next on my list. Pretty busy next couple of weekends so a nice little partial mash recipe will be more manageable.

after that im gonna brew the ballast point hefe doubled for 10 gallons. I have everything in my cart for these two, just waiting on stick on thermometers to be back in stock on my site.

• Like 1

also in the works is a pilsner ala Czech style.  was going to do all grain with a step mash but extract would be easier.   I did a test with a cooler and varying ice.  a welches grape juice 64 oz bottle of ice and one liter of ice drops temp in cooler to 47f and keeps it good for 12 hours.  ive no excuse to not trying a lager now.  will take more effort and care but... 

one perk with the lme .. no 90 minute boil required. gonna do a 30 min boil and just up the hops.

• Like 1

Alright so i just went a little crazy but whatever. I bought the ingredients for:

5 gallon hefe

partial mash ingredients for dry river rye

10 gallon cerveza, first time ever repeating a recipe? ?

LME for my intolerant zombie recipe. Kubbapalooza is coming up again. Another first time repeat.

5 gallons of rootbeer. Trying something new...

• Like 1

So I have a Maple Brown Sugar Ale carbing/conditioning, and i just brewed my Spurgeon Farmhouse Ale (with Juniper and Kveik Yeast).

To be brewed over the next 4 weeks:

Basic Pale Ale 

Hard Cider 

??? Need to brainstorm for future

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NwMaltHead said:

So I have a Maple Brown Sugar Ale carbing/conditioning, and i just brewed my Spurgeon Farmhouse Ale (with Juniper and Kveik Yeast).

To be brewed over the next 4 weeks:

Basic Pale Ale 

Hard Cider 

??? Need to brainstorm for future

Belgian IPA is the answer here.

• Like 1

4/19 -

Brewing up my Hopped CAL

---

As I've mentioned before, this is my base beer. Generally same "base" and then I go crazy/experiment with hops to see what I can come up with.

My base is

CAL

Booster

Gold 
Pale

05 Yeast

--

For this one I went 2 pale since I had them on hand.

--

For the hops I am going with a 30 minute boil

.5 Chinook - 30

.5 Zythos 1 - 20

1.0 Zythos - 10 (2 packs)

.5 Zythos - 5

As you can see I had 4 packs of Zythos to spread around.  Trying to get a strong presence in both flavor and aroma.

• Like 3

Well heck, I might as well copy/paste mine and share with the group:
-  StephieWeisen, LBK1 (Named after my wife, and the first non-Mr. Beer brew I'll do.)
-  Columbus' Cascading Amber, LBK2
-  That Voodoo That You Do, LBK1
-  1776 Ale, LBK2
-  Staggerback Stout, LBK1
-  Abbey Dubbel, LBK2
-  Suava Java Cream Ale, LBK1
-  Hop Head Red, LBK2
-  Novacaine, LBK1
-  Santa Rita Pale Ale, LBK2
-  Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout, LBK1
-  Churchill's Nut Brown Ale, LBK2

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrWhy said:

Belgian IPA is the answer here.

I'm thinking that's a good idea. I think I'll do a 2gal Belgian and a 5gal Marzen. I'll need something aging for Oktober.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NwMaltHead said:

I'm thinking that's a good idea. I think I'll do a 2gal Belgian and a 5gal Marzen. I'll need something aging for Oktober.

This is good.

But you are better than good.

The answer now is:

5gal Oaked Imperial Marzen

• Like 1

This week, CAL experiment weekend 1

Next week, CAL experiment weekend 2

Then, 6 gallons of Chug-A-Lugger.

Then, the brewery closes for the season.  It's just not feasible to keep the apartment at 68F during the summer, plus it gives me back my Friday evenings and Saturday, which I will use to visit local and  not-to-far breweries.

I'll post more on the CAL experiment soon, but I'm sure some of you already know what it is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

This week, CAL experiment weekend 1

Next week, CAL experiment weekend 2

Then, 6 gallons of Chug-A-Lugger.

Then, the brewery closes for the season.  It's just not feasible to keep the apartment at 68F during the summer, plus it gives me back my Friday evenings and Saturday, which I will use to visit local and  not-to-far breweries.

I'll post more on the CAL experiment soon, but I'm sure some of you already know what it is.

What are you CAL experiments!!!!

4/19/2017 -

So.....

For those of you who might not know my story....I got into the homebrew thing  last year (2016) heavily. This was after years (not joking on the plural) of doubt. Then, after a highly successful run, the will of the universe dictated that I take a LONG break and search the world of brewing for knowledge. At first I thought I needed to seek knowledge of brewing. But after my search, I understood that I did not seek to know more about brewing. I sought to know more of my own self. And only now do I see that that there is no distinction between the self, and the brew. But that is all for another time.

All that being said, my first brew when "I" returned was the baltic porter, but because I am ME, I decided to brew an Imperial Baltic Porter.

I did not take notes so I have no freaking idea what that even means.

That being said.....my Imperial Baltic Porter was bottled on 3/4/17.

I seem to remember a strong smell of banana.

I had no plans to try this beer until January of 2018.

But it seems like the universe had different plans for me.  Because today, when I put my Zythos Hopped CAL in the fermenting fridge, I noticed in the corner a lone bottle of my IPB. (Imperial Baltic Porter.)

What the hell is that doing there, I asked myself?

Waiting to be drink-ed by you, the universe replied.

Who am I to tell the universe no?

I used my patented quick chill method and brought this bad girl down to drinkable temps.....

--

I am not going to lie. This beer is about as outstanding brew as I have brewed. It is dark but there is a touch of light lingering in the background. That strong smell/taste of banana has faded and if you asked, it now just a hint, a lingering memory. The harsh alcohol taste is now a slight reminder that you are not drinking water. Respect me, but don't fear me, it whispers in your ear.....

--

This is a great brew. And in case their is any doubt, please do not attribute this to me as a brewer, but rather the skill of the Mr. Beer peeps....because as hard as I tried to butcher it, it resisted. It INSISTED on becoming what it was meant to be....a great beer.

• Like 3

4/28/17

Bottled up my Angry Bovine. Recipe, plus 1 robust LME and goldings at flameout. 

Loved the last one, but it was REALLY fizzy. I mean a carbed monster. So for a few of these I went with 2 drops....the rest 1 (marked to track.) Although the last one was with steeping grains, so I'm not sure of those impacted things or not.

Loved the last one, no reason to think I'm not gonna love this one as well. Thinking I don't need to condition this for a year. Gonna give it 6...8 weeks then try one.

6th batch this season. That's 66 bottles in! 

*Imperial Porter

*Belgian Beast

*Slap Hoppy Stout

*Bourbon Stout

*Double Imperial Red Ale

*Angry Bovine Stout

This weekend I brew up my next red ale. Weekend after is a double bottling and hopefully brewing!

• Like 2

Next weekend its my 2nd batch of the flying dog numero uno clone. Im splitting the 10 gallon batch as an ongoing experiment. 5 gallons will go again with a liquid Mexican lager yeast, fast lagered. The other five will be with kolsch yeast fermented around 58 degrees. I wish i could do another 5 and use 05 to see if lagering ia worth it. Maybe next time

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Next weekend its my 2nd batch of the flying dog numero uno clone. Im splitting the 10 gallon batch as an ongoing experiment. 5 gallons will go again with a liquid Mexican lager yeast, fast lagered. The other five will be with kolsch yeast fermented around 58 degrees. I wish i could do another 5 and use 05 to see if lagering ia worth it. Maybe next time

Sounds like an interesting experiment. What are you thinking the difference might be?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrWhy said:

Sounds like an interesting experiment. What are you thinking the difference might be?

Hopefully nothing I hope I can get a lager like taste without doing the lager process 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Hopefully nothing I hope I can get a lager like taste without doing the lager process 

If you're using a Kolsch yeast, then this should be very achievable.

• Like 2