Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

45 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

AG

Is it what i think it is?? If it is, i think you will like it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Is it what i think it is?? If it is, i think you will like it. 

Oh it is. 10 gallons of it im gonna brew.  Theres a competition coming up, now would be a prime opportunity to brew a beer for it. I prob wouldn’t enter this one though, i wouldnt feel right. Thats the only thing weighing on my mind. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Oh it is. 10 gallons of it im gonna brew.  Theres a competition coming up, now would be a prime opportunity to brew a beer for it. I prob wouldn’t enter this one though, i wouldnt feel right. Thats the only thing weighing on my mind. 

That is a tough call. 

• Like 1

Ok... I'll bite.  Why so secretive and why not enter it?  I personally have never done comps (I see no personal reason to - business wise, I get it), but if that's your thang, why not?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

Ok... I'll bite.  Why so secretive and why not enter it?  I personally have never done comps (I see no personal reason to - business wise, I get it), but if that's your thang, why not?

That is a recipe from @hotrod3539 and I believe it was handed down from a real brewer if im not mistaken. I do however believe that any recipe is just a recipe and the real crafting comes on the brewing process. But i wouldnt do a two hearted clone and enter it into competition. Its not mine. You know? That recipe is the bleeding buckeye that he brewed 

• Like 3

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

That is a recipe from @hotrod3539 and I believe it was handed down from a real brewer if im not mistaken. I do however believe that any recipe is just a recipe and the real crafting comes on the brewing process. But i wouldnt do a two hearted clone and enter it into competition. Its not mine. You know? That recipe is the bleeding buckeye that he brewed 

Yes, the Bleeding Buckeye recipe comes from Elevator Brewing Co. Here in Columbus Ohio. And it is one they have in production and do retail it. I agree with ya Creeps on your thought process about not entering it into a competition.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yup, in that case, I agree with you.  This goes back to the old days here in the MRB boards, where I was the one that said basically what you just did and was called out for it.  But, I also believe that while you (a general you) brew it, it is "yours", but it is not really, unless you created that recipe.  Otherwise, you are just brewing someone else's beer (much like using someone else recipe to make pies). Same goes for a clone.  How it started back then is I brewed a friends porter recipe and I called it his porter and I got ripped for that. I stand by my comment even today as I fully believe in giving credit where credit is due.

If the recipe came from a direct friend, then yeah, I would say brew it and enter it as long as that friend is golden with you doing that.  Where that came from, I agree with you on not doing that. Very understandable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

Bleeding Buckeye

Did they create this after the Sooners whooped them earlier this year? :)

#HadTo
#PLANTtheFLAG
#BOOMERSOONER 

:)

33 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Did they create this after the Sooners whooped them earlier this year? :)

#HadTo
#PLANTtheFLAG
#BOOMERSOONER 

:)

Just as I thought I liked you.... now not so much... Lol! 😅

But no, this has been around for many years now.

On a side note, his attempt failed to plant the flag, our turf withstood the attempted destruction and broke the pole of the flag.

#FAILEDtoplanttheflag

#GOBUCKS!!

Just now, hotrod3539 said:

On a side note, his attempt failed to plant the flag, our turf withstood the attempted destruction and broke the pole of the flag.

Maybe so, but it sure made for some awesome pictures... not as good as "Deez Nuts", but I digress :)

w640-9f16bf59db304cd07ed583e85af0e59b.jp

Feeling bad for "talking trash" as I usually do not do that (ask @Shrike, I believe it was, about how much trash talking I do about beers lol).  The honest truth is I expected OSU to beat us that night. I had already counted it as one of the at least 3 losses I projected for the season. I personally thought Baker was crazy to come back another season after losing Westbrook, Mixon and Perine.  Crazy, but with a Heisman I guess :)

I'm just happy to be in the Playoffs.  What will happen will happen.  :)

Alrighty, sorry for going off topic there y'all :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Maybe so, but it sure made for some awesome pictures... not as good as "Deez Nuts", but I digress :)

w640-9f16bf59db304cd07ed583e85af0e59b.jp

Feeling bad for "talking trash" as I usually do not do that (ask @Shrike, I believe it was, about how much trash talking I do about beers lol).  The honest truth is I expected OSU to beat us that night. I had already counted it as one of the at least 3 losses I projected for the season. I personally thought Baker was crazy to come back another season after losing Westbrook, Mixon and Perine.  Crazy, but with a Heisman I guess :)

I'm just happy to be in the Playoffs.  What will happen will happen.  :)

Alrighty, sorry for going off topic there y'all :)

Lol! No worries from me! I enjoy some good friendly banter from time to time! 

I wasn't sure how that game was going to go... but hey... ya win some, ya lose some! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

ya win some, ya lose some!

Agreed.  You can ask people who know me and I am famous for saying "Win or lose, I still have to work tomorrow so I can pay the bills" or "The best you can hope for is to be able to smile a little bit longer."  Be it my Hawks, Packers, Mariners, Cubs, or Sooners.  Heck, only 1 team can win it all... the rest, well, they lost too ad that usually includes my teams. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Looks like @MRB Josh R and @MRB Tim have come up with a good one!

https://www.mrbeer.com/heathers-scotch-ale

Heathers Scotch Ale

Added to Wishlist!

I've tried the "wish list" thing; you apparently have to buy the stuff you put in there. I was kinda hoping Mr. Beer would just magically send you the stuff you wish for. Maybe that function is broke on the website? 😉

I wish you all the best in the new year, my extended brewing family!

• Like 3

Brewing this on Friday. One my dad can drink when hes over. I have so many ingredients... so many possibilities!

7F18602D-DF1D-4E3D-AFFD-14B36BAD8EFE.png

• Like 2

I have a clean kettle.  I have 8 lbs of crushed grain ready.  We recently went down to 9 hours days at work so I don’t have to be into work until 7 now.  I’m gonna do my first ever weekday brew tomorrow. I’ll mash while I put the kids to bed, Boil after they fall asleep. Should be in bed by 11? I was up til midnight last night, it’s 10:14 right now.  I’m ok with this plan.  

• Like 2

On February 27, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Rotbag said:

@AnthonyC i dont know remember who said we have to get together and race, but here's the namesake of my Horny Rabbit Brewery.

We'll just sit and drink beer and watch.

IMG_20150409_183020.jpg

Who could forget @Rotbag?

• Like 3

I just updated my schedule with the addition of the recipes I picked up over the holidays.  Once these are done it'll be time to start making some for next fall/winter.

-  Armstrong Dortmunder Export
-  Black Moon Weizen
-  Sir Kenneth Blond Ale
-  Witch's Flight
-  CALEX#2
-  Foggy Days California Common
-  Brew de Ale ze Bub
-  Thunder Bay IPA

• Like 2

On 10/19/2017 at 8:06 PM, Creeps McLane said:

I just bought 150+ lbs of grain, almost 2 lbs of hops, and 10 various yeasts. I'm ready for some fall / winter brewing baby! 

First brew, tomorrow will be a 10 gallon split batch. Last round of Pantry brews.

1 MRB northwest pale ale 

1 MRB Diablo IPA

1 Coopers pale ale

1 Breiss Sorghum 

4 oz rye malt

4 oz golden promise

4 oz white wheat

4 oz red wheat

3 oz mild malt

3 oz extra special malt

4 oz raw merit barley

1/2 oz warrior @ 10

1/2 oz warrior @ 5

1/2 oz warrior @ 0

1 packet of MGJ empire ale

1 mason jar of harvested lager yeast

Sorry to quote myself. I swore there had to be mosaic in this recipe. Such a thick dank hop presence. What couldve given me that? The diablo? The NW? Coopers? Man oh man. Maybe the warrior? Little bit of twang though as it warms. When i used to make lagers with MRB i always blamed the twang on the yeast flavor of the 34/70. Sometimes i even believed it

Everthing is cleaned, did a test run with pbw tonight to make sure my set up was good. Everything looked great so maybe Tuesday or Friday ill brew my test batch of “Seraphim Serum” for the NHBC. Ill order the hops so theyre nice and fresh. Recipe is all hashed out on beersmith. Im really excited about my setup.

Its nice to get back to the traditional three vessel system. Enough cutting corners, Im gonna brew like a pro. Only way to get there one day is practice and practice some more.

i have nothing fermenting right now at all. Its nice to not have anything to babysit but also it leaves a void in my heart. Ive brewed a lot of saisons but I don’t at all feel like I’ve mastered them yet. Even if i dont get to the final round of the contest at least ill get some valuable feedback. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Everything looked great so maybe Tuesday or Friday ill brew my test batch of “Seraphim Serum” for the NHBC.

When are the entries due?

Next up is Cooper's Pilsener split 3 ways - with varying hop/ partial mash/temp treatments

Cooper's Pilsener HME + 8 oz pils malt + 6 oz booster  + 0.5 oz Saaz flameout aroma hop and leave in. Ferment low 60's with 1/3 supplied yeast  + 1/3 37/40
Cooper's Pilsener HME + 8 oz pils malt + 6 oz booster  + 8 oz pils malt  grain PM, 0.5 oz Saaz boil 15 min and remove ,  0.5 oz Saaz flameout aroma hop leave in. Ferment low 60's with 1/3 supplied yeast  + 1/3 37/40
Cooper's Pilsener HME + 8 oz pils DME+ 6 oz booster  +  8 oz pils malt grain + 2 oz  Cara 20 PM, 0.5 oz Saaz boil 15 min and remove ,  0.5 oz Saaz flameout aroma hop leave in. 1 week 0.5 Saaz Dry Hop. Ferment in cooler with icepacks with 1/3 supplied yeast  + 1/3 37/40
  • Like 1

And after that

Dampfbier -  American Lager, Smooth LME, wheat yeast
Sir Kenneth Blonde Ale
Belgian Wit Beer Weissbier + 
  • Like 1

Re AHBS - what is best legal way to ship?

I can see drop off as the only really legal way unless you have a license to ship - but then it is not homebrew (see license requirements),  but locations are limited. If they had a dropoff office in each state that might be OK

I am reading these and I am confused.

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/203981689-Shipping-alcohol-with-USPS-UPS-and-FedEx

http://homebrewacademy.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-shipping-beer/

It seems the only was is under the radar.

We need the dumb laws changed so it is legal for home brewers to ship between any states some small qty of beer to any person of legal drinking age for completion or consumption.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenses/get-a-license/industry-licenses/shippers-license

For example this only applies as for as I can see to beer that is for sale, and you have to be a corporation too. Nothing for amateurs -with beer - but not for sale.

Carriers seem to require you have this license to ship beer.

Some states it is illegal to receive alcohol.

What a mess

They just need to remove all restrictions for small quantities not for sale.

45 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I can see drop off as the only really legal way unless you have a license to ship - but then it is not homebrew (see license requirements),  but locations are limited. If they had a dropoff office in each state that might be OK

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/203981689-Shipping-alcohol-with-USPS-UPS-and-FedEx

We need the dumb laws changed so it is legal for home brewers to ship between any states some small qty of beer to any person of legal drinking age for completion or consumption.

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenses/get-a-license/industry-licenses/shippers-license

For example this only applies as for as I can see to beer that is for sale, and you have to be a corporation too. Nothing for amateurs -with beer - but not for sale.

What a mess

Or simply dont tell them whats in the box. if properly packaged... no one will know except the sender and the receiver.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

What a mess

There is no legal way to ship it without a license. Ive called fed ex and asked. I used to go to a local cheese and wine shop to have things shipped but the guy made it obvious he didnt care to do it and he was only liscensed for certain states. 

the AHA says to mark the box “sample for evaluation “. Others say to mark it “yeast samples “. I never cared when i shipped beer. Its illegal using USPS and you can get in trouble. Its also illegal to use fed ex or UPS but they’re not a government agency so Im pretty sure you get a warning before any action is taken. I really dont think they care. I just tape it up and send it on its way. If I ever get caught, then ill stop. But thousands of packages are shipped every year just for this one competiton. Its like illegally pirating music, millions do it. Maybe they enforce the big time crimals of it but 99% of us will never be reprimanded. 

Please note, shipping alcohol is illegal. Like ATF illegal. I am not a lawyer, i am not an expert but it is illegal. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Its also illegal to use fed ex or UPS but they’re not a government agency so Im pretty sure you get a warning before any action is taken.

A buddy of mine used to do beer trades all the time.  He always shipped FedEx.  Said that he was told if anything ever broke, and started to leak, the package would get tossed in the trash, so to make sure its all sealed and well padded.... but yeah, its illegal.  However, so is speeding.

• Like 2

Yep. Thanks. That is what I expected but I wanted to know if I was missing anything.

I think laws should either be enforced or voided. If ones that nobody cared about or enforced were removed, there would be a lot less hassle. Of course that takes lawmaker agreement, and of course they are called lawmakers not lawremovers - lol.

Enough venting.

• Like 2

Approx 36 hours from brew day. Saturday morning ill brew and then in the late morning/afternoon ill brew again!!!

seraph serum saison

Paul’s pantry pale 

@Big Sarge this is the one!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Approx 36 hours from brew day. Saturday morning ill brew and then in the late morning/afternoon ill brew again!!!

seraph serum saison

Paul’s pantry pale 

@Big Sarge this is the one!

I'm excited to hear about brew day!!

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

27 hours away. Not that im excited or anything!!!

I might actually get to brew on Sunday, since I've finally ordered some Mr. Beer recipes. Of course I missed the 20% off sale, but who cares? Now it's on to deciding which one it'll be: the WDA, Chromos, Yule, or the NWPA with El Dorado?

• Like 3

Wife went to target. I told her to pick me up some PB2 powdered peanut butter and also the powdered chocolate. Anyone have any good recipes?

3 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I knew you'd figure it out.

I went online and found 10,000 peanut butter stout / porter recipes, 2,000 imperial stouts with peanut butter, and 5,000 barrel aged peanut butter stouts.

I did a general search in my zymurgy app, i got one recipe for dog biscuits.

the recipe above was the ONLY peanut butter recipe on my brew guru app. 

Just to let you know the troubles I go through daily to satisfy my curiosity 

• Like 7

Hoping i can brew this weekend. If i can I’m gonna brew an ipa full of hops I usually stay away from cuz apparently thats what i like

next i want to brew three seperate smash ales or possibly lagers. I got some new hops i want to try out. Southern cross, Macinack, amd michigan copper

Update, my uncle just told me i can have his outdoor patio heater. Looks like im driveway brewing this weekend!!! #biab

• Like 1

I am in the middle of doing some yeast comparisons.  I started with a very basic lager recipe:

9.5lb Weyermann Pilsner Malt (1.6°L)
0.5lb Vienna Malt (3.2°L)

0.5 German Perle - 60 min - 12 AAU
0.5 German Perle - 25 min - 8 AAU
0.25 German Hallertau - 25 min - 2 AAU
0.75 German Hallertau - 10 min - 4 AAU

Mash temp 148° - 75 min

Est OG: 1.058
Est FG: 1.011
Est IBU: 26
Est SRM: 2
Est ABV: 6.3%

(6 gallon recipe)

Ferment at 56 degrees

I made six gallons, and split to two 3 gallon fermenters.  One fermenter got the Southyeast Labs HS2 New Abbey Ale yeast that I've used and reharvested several times.  This yeast was harvested from honeysuckle plants at Blackberry Farm (a luxury resort and brewery in Walland, TN).  It "really shines in Belgian and abbey ales. It produces notes of red wine and finishes with cracked peppercorn."

The other 3 gallons got the Bootleg Biology S. arlingtonesis yeast picked up when we did a tour of the Bootleg Biology yeast facility in a Nashville homebrewer meetup [with another online homebrew group].  This is Bootleg's original flagship yeast, and is a hybrid lager yeast (can be used at low ale temps as well).

I will be doing another 3-gallon batch with this recipe and the new Bootleg Biology Brulosophy Blend yeast that went on sale this week.  It is billed as "the only all-purpose, clean yeast culture meant to make almost any beer style!"  The development of this yeast blend was a fun project to follow.  You can read/listen to more about it at the Brulosophy podcast website.

The intent is to see how the exact same recipe plays with different yeasts.  By tasting the hydrometer pull, the HS2 is all in the Belgian pale range, while the Bootleg #1 is more a biscuity, clean lager taste.  WIll be curious to see how the Bootleg #2 differs.  Intending to bottle the first two this weekend (or next, if I don't get around to it).  Picking up Bootleg #2 yeast tomorrow, so might brew it next weekend.

lager-1a.jpg

lager-1.JPG

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Update: intolerant zombie V 2.0

74E68354-A511-465F-9B28-8E156088A5B3.jpeg

Lol, Creeps, I won't even pretend to understand the brew you are concocting, but I can tell you are excited about it so that's cool. I've  seen the photos of that complicated looking conical and hmm, mash tun that you have. You going to transport all that stuff outside or just the brewpot? Lol, probably really stupid questions from a guy that for brew day uses 1  6qt pot, an LBK,  extracts, hops, and a packet of yeast and brew day lasts about an hour!

29 minutes ago, Cato said:

Lol, Creeps, I won't even pretend to understand the brew you are concocting, but I can tell you are excited about it so that's cool. I've  seen the photos of that complicated looking conical and hmm, mash tun that you have. You going to transport all that stuff outside or just the brewpot? Lol, probably really stupid questions from a guy that for brew day uses 1  6qt pot, an LBK,  extracts, hops, and a packet of yeast and brew day lasts about an hour!

Extract brew day consists of: 13 gallon kettle (smallest i have), propane burner, spoon, and then ingredients. Simple, easy, perfect for a late night driveway brew. Should be done in about 2 hours. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Extract brew day consists of: 13 gallon kettle (smallest i have), propane burner, spoon, and then ingredients. Simple, easy, perfect for a late night driveway brew. Should be done in about 2 hours. 

Have you ever brewed with the Sorghum extract before?  I've seen it and have been curious about it.

1 hour ago, C-Note 1959 said:

Have you ever brewed with the Sorghum extract before?  I've seen it and have been curious about it.

I have, but I really didn't like the flavor of it.  But...  that's personal preference, and I wouldn't judge your experience based on my taste.  I would grab a bottle of New Grist or Redbridge before brewing with it to see if you appreciate the flavor.  For my gluten-free brewing now, I use Clarity Ferm, which will make any ole brewday gluten free (well, technically, greatly reduced to the level that certifies as gluten-free).  Just add this near the end of the brewday and away you go.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-Note 1959 said:

I didnt mind it at all but ive only used it for an ipa. Perhaps the hops covered any off flavors. Sorghum + candi sugar + maltodextrin = yummy in my tummy

• Like 2

Updated after the last sale:

-  Witch's Flight
-  CALEX#2
-  Winter Dark Ale #1
-  Brew de Ale ze Bub
-  Thunder Bay IPA
-  Shameless Stout (will go partial-mad scientist on this one)
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Winter Dark Ale #2

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

Updated after the last sale:

-  Witch's Flight
-  CALEX#2
-  Winter Dark Ale #1
-  Brew de Ale ze Bub
-  Thunder Bay IPA
-  Shameless Stout (will go partial-mad scientist on this one)
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Winter Dark Ale #2

I'm always impressed with your ability to stick to a brew schedule.  Sometimes I'll change my mind in the time that it takes me to go from the kitchen down the stairs where I store my grains!:D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm always impressed with your ability to stick to a brew schedule.  Sometimes I'll change my mind in the time that it takes me to go from the kitchen down the stairs where I store my grains!:D

Truth right here......

• Like 1

For varieties sake I try to alternate a PA/IPA in a LBK and a dark or amber in the other one. Sounds simple enough and would be but I love my dark beers and tend to stock more of those when I order.

6 hours ago, Cato said:

For varieties sake I try to alternate a PA/IPA in a LBK and a dark or amber in the other one. Sounds simple enough and would be but I love my dark beers and tend to stock more of those when I order.

My main rule of thumb when planning my brewing is to alternate between ones that need short conditioning and ones that need longer.  It keeps the pipeline running smoothly... :)  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Shrike said:

My main rule of thumb when planning my brewing is to alternate between ones that need short conditioning and ones that need longer.  It keeps the pipeline running smoothly... :)  

Yes, Shrike, part of my reason for alternating the PA's as they are generally hoppier and so a bit shorter conditioning than a lot of the dark ales. Lol, though any pipeline gaps are good reason to add to the bottle supply from commercial craft brews.

• Like 1

It's coming up on my second time to mess around with the CAL.  This time I'm mainly clearing out some grains and hops that I've got in the fridge that I have nothing else to use in.

CALEX#2:

- One CAL HME

- Two of the "new" booster packets.

- 2oz. each Munich, flaked red wheat, and two-row

Mash grains for 30 minutes, add booster, bring to a boil.

- 1/2oz Waimea for 30 minutes

- 1/2oz Citra for 20

- 1/2oz Citra for 10

I've got excess MRB yeast on hand so I'll probably just use that.

According to QBrew it'll be about 5%-ish and nicely bitter at about 80 IBU.  It should be a nice, refreshing brew for summer.

• Like 5

I had planned to go up north this weekend and come back on Sunday and brew two extract  batches for kubbapalooza which is fast approaching. However, now it’s like rain/hailing out and strong winds. So.......... I have all the time in the world to brew this weekend. I’m making a gluten free lager and a bigger batch of wheat wort that will be split into a Hefeweizen batch and a Weiss that will be rack into the keg on top of some lemonade for a shandy. Super stoked

• Like 3

Im up north this weekend. Went over to my parents place a few miles away. They have black berries growing everywhere!!! No chemicals, just natural goodness. Think ill throw some in a lager when theyre ripe

• Like 4

I received Dead & Berried and another order of Santa Rita (one of my top three favorite recipes) today, so revised my schedule:

-  Golden Empire IPA
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Saison du Miel
-  Dead & Berried
-  Winter Dark Ale #2
-  Belgian Blanc
-  Hidden Lake Amber Ale

-  Santa Rita

• Like 5

Kind of a different combo of hops than I’m used to using, but this is where I’m at. I crafted this recipe with ingredients I have on hand while soaking my feet in epsom salt. 

4CCF6435-126E-4E89-BF0F-81609F4E2E8E.png

• Like 2

I had that grisette the other night and it was so good that for the first time everbi emailed the brewery and askes them for some pointers. They were more than happy to steer me in the right direction and now i cant wait to brew my first kettle soured beer. Its all i can think about today

• Like 1

just bought the international discounted sale that Mr. Beer has.  Between those six, and an American Light, I should be able to start the brewery up again soon.

Hopefully

Yoda, Senior Master Brewer of Dagobah Brewery.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tomorrow were headed up north. My plan is to take two mason jars and some wort up there and collect some yeast. Ill be sure to keep yall up to date on that adventure 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Tomorrow were headed up north. My plan is to take two mason jars and some wort up there and collect some yeast. Ill be sure to keep yall up to date on that adventure 

Lol, my first thought was how does one head north in Wisconsin? Then I remembered that Michigan has that little finger peninsula that sticks out, or of course maybe your headed to Canada!

Regardless, looking forward to hearing about your yeast harvesting venture.

• Like 2

Kettles are cleaned, pumps and lines are cleaned, plate chiller is cleaned. Fermenters are dirty... well one of the three im using is clean. By sunday ill have 15 gallons brewed up. Two of which are competition beers. Im so excited!!!

• Like 6

I had to revise my schedule today.  I received my latest order from MRB.  While sorting everything out I dropped a CAL on the floor...which dented the can pretty well.  So I moved that to the top of the Brew Queue.

One benefit of putting it at the top is that my first batch of WDA I brewed a couple of months ago will have reached minimum conditioning time before I brew the next WDA.  So I'll get to taste it and figure how I want to tinker with it...if at all.

-  CALEX#3
-  Tangerously Hoppy IPA
-  Winter Dark Ale
-  Redwood Ale
-  Santa Rita Pale Ale
-  Crater Stout
Then depending on the weather I'll transition to lagers for a couple of months.

• Like 5

Haven't really had a brew schedule recently, so with it being windy and rain bands coming in from Florence far south of me today is computer stuff and working of something of a brew schedule.

I've got a lot of HME cans, so my next up will be a Pale Ale based on MB Santa Catalina recipe, and I'll use the cans of CAL and American Ale but will ferment with US-05 or 04 and hop with HBC438. That'll be a quick and easy recipe to get into the fermenter. It turned out well with Mosaic last time, but the hops faded quickly. Hmm, maybe add an ounce dry hop of the HBC 438 as well to see if that will endure better than the Mosaic did.

For my other LBK might have to try a BIAB on a different style, maybe an Alt or a Marzen, since I've never brewed either one of those. Time to do some recipe research!

• Like 2

Ok, so I have three brews on my list. A blackberry lager, a lager showcasing my Prussia hops so I can see what I think of them. And finally, Big Al’s funk factory. I think my hops will be ready in the next week or two so I’ll probably brew that first but I also need to use up those blackberries so perhaps I’ll brew up 10 gallons of the Prussia lager and split 5 gallons of it with the blackberries. Ugh, the many hard decisions of a home brewer. hopefully I have enough hops...

• Like 3

I have two brews coming up once I bottle Little Trees Pale Ale and a Witbier clone. Little Trees will bottle end of this week and the Witbier next week.

First up will be pretty much an HME Pale ale, so I can reduce some inventory of HME cans. Will use a CAL and American Ale and hop with HBC438.

Second up will be a Belgian Dubbel, since we do have fall coming on and I'd like to have at least a few dark beers in the mix. There are a LOT of Belgian Dubbel recipes out there but I put together this one to use some of what I already have on hand and so once again have selected some common parts of several recipes and whittled down to this.

Because it will be a BIAB partial mash, I may or may not hit as high an OG, since I am still learning how to hit a better efficiency. My temporary solution is shooting a bit higher in gravity and adding a touch of LME here and there. LOL, this one has way more than a touch but I've got a full can of the Pilsen Light so, might as well make use of a good chunk of it.

Belgian Dubbel

Recipe :

Brewer Bob Batch 2.75 gal

Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity 1.073 OG Estimated FG 1.018 FG

Recipe Bitterness 19 IBU Alcohol by Volume 7.0%

Recipe Color 17° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.5%

Ingredients

Quantity Grain Type Use

0.06 lb Special "B" (Belgian) Grain Mashed

1.50 lb Pilsener (Belgian) - [Light] Base malt of European Beers and US

beers of all types

Grain Mashed

0.12 lb Extra Special Malt Grain Mashed

0.75 lb Carabrown Malt Grain Other

0.25 lb CaraPils - [Body, Head] Grain Mashed

0.25 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (Belgian) Sugar Other

2.50 lb Briess LME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract

1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (Belgian) - [Aromatic, Malty] Use 5% - 15% Grain Mashed

Quantity Hop Type Time

0.62 oz Kent Goldings (U.K.) - Aroma and dry hop intensely resiny,

candy-like, sweet, slightly floral and spicy

Pellet 60 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes

1.00 unit White Labs WLP530 - Abbey Ale Yeast™ Yeast Temperature Range: 62°-72° F (ABV 11%) Med-High Floculation

Recipe Notes

BIAB mash at 154-156 for 60 min

Sparge and add Pilsen light LME

Bring to boil and Add .625 oz of EK Goldings hops for 60 min.

Add .25 lb of Candi Sugar D-90 for last 15 min of boil

Chill to 75F and add WLP530 yeast and ferment for 18days and cold crash for 3 days and then bottle

Batch Notes

Mash

• Like 2

I have been getting in to partial mash lately but not long enough to have a mature product. I have Let it Bee and Grass-cutter Lager conditioning - both tasted good at bottling. Dry River Rye is brewing at the moment. Next in line is Naughty Cream Ale and Foggy Days California Common. It is going to be an interesting pipeline.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Marius said:

I have been getting in to partial mash lately but not long enough to have a mature product. I have Let it Bee and Grass-cutter Lager conditioning - both tasted good at bottling. Dry River Rye is brewing at the moment. Next in line is Naughty Cream Ale and Foggy Days California Common. It is going to be an interesting pipeline.

You'll like the partial mashes and having more control over your grains and how they'll influence the final product!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered my specialty grains and yeast for my Belgian Dubbel. Had to laugh because I ordered a starter kit flask and Fast Pitch for my yeast. I had never heard of Fast Pitch until @Creeps McLane used some in a vid on wild yeast that I watched the other night.

Talk about perfect timing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cato said:

Just ordered my specialty grains and yeast for my Belgian Dubbel. Had to laugh because I ordered a starter kit flask and Fast Pitch for my yeast. I had never heard of Fast Pitch until @Creeps McLane used some in a vid on wild yeast that I watched the other night.

Talk about perfect timing.

OMG fast pitch is such a great product. You do make your own at home but if you dont do it right you could poison yourself... so i just but mine 

I've mostly used dry yeast but the white labs site said theirs needed a starter and i really wanted their WLP530 for this batch,  and was half thinking I should be able to make some wort in a sanitized jar, when I ran across the fast pitch starter kit with 4 cans and a flask w/stopper, and I jumped on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I've mostly used dry yeast but the white labs site said theirs needed a starter and i really wanted their WLP530 for this batch,  and was half thinking I should be able to make some wort in a sanitized jar, when I ran across the fast pitch starter kit with 4 cans and a flask w/stopper, and I jumped on it.

i used WLP001 california ale yeast on my last porter batch. i also picked up some more omega hothead for my next pale ale coming up. i really like the varieties of stuff you can make beer with.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i used WLP001 california ale yeast on my last porter batch. i also picked up some more omega hothead for my next pale ale coming up. i really like the varieties of stuff you can make beer with.

This made me laugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

one problem with home brewing is there are so damn many recipes out there, and I wanna brew them all! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Paw paws are back in season. Been planning brew 3 different beers when this time of year came around, but life ain't cooperating. Acquisition of the fruit has gotten complicated because of all the stuff flowing my direction. Considered buying them, but still need to brew. Maybe I can find somebody who cans or freezes them.

FB_IMG_1537238564943.jpg

• Like 1

@Big Sarge looked at the calendar today, noticed that theres nothing on it for this weekend. you know what that means... its brew day!!!!

i revised the recipe a bit and swapped omegas saisonsteins monster for wyeast 3726 farmhouse strain. 

How do we colab on this beer? Do i just wait a year and send you some? It would be my honor to ship you beer or the ingredients to brew the beer also. For a man who devoted his life to serving this great country i feel like either is a small gesture compared to your daily duties. 

• Like 1

@Creeps McLane, I'm just happy to be along for the ride, brother. If anything, I'd love to see some videos of the process; that's definitely the immersive experience. I promise to one day have my wife make us a couple shirts with the beer name on it. Even if it doesn't make the B.O.B. starting lineup, it'll come with a good backstory. I wish I could be more participative in the endeavor, but work has me in the huckle buck. 

• Like 1

what do y'all think about this recipe? just went to my LHBS today and got a bunch of stuff

MRB Octoberfest HME

1 lb Briess Traditional Dark(or Golden Light, I have both) DME

4 oz Vienna Malt

4 oz Munich Malt

Tettnang Hops (1/2 oz)

Wyeast Kolsch Smack Pack liquid yeast

maybe 1 MRB booster?

looking for some additions or subtractions, or go ahead and brew it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jdub said:

what do y'all think about this recipe? just went to my LHBS today and got a bunch of stuff

MRB Octoberfest HME

1 lb Briess Traditional Dark(or Golden Light, I have both) DME

4 oz Vienna Malt

4 oz Munich Malt

Tettnang Hops (1/2 oz)

Wyeast Kolsch Smack Pack liquid yeast

maybe 1 MRB booster?

looking for some additions or subtractions, or go ahead and brew it!

Looks like it'll make a tasty beer.  I'd go with the Golden Light DME and omit the Booster, but that's just me. 

Brew that beer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

Looks like it'll make a tasty beer.  I'd go with the Golden Light DME and omit the Booster, but that's just me. 

Brew that beer!

@Shrike do you think that booster modifies the flavor? i know they say don't chase ABV, but i will admit i do. If i can bump it 1% or so with a booster, i'm in. Thanks for the Golden Light suggestion. I will do that.

47 minutes ago, Jdub said:

@Shrike do you think that booster modifies the flavor? i know they say don't chase ABV, but i will admit i do. If i can bump it 1% or so with a booster, i'm in. Thanks for the Golden Light suggestion. I will do that.

No, it doesn't really affect the flavor.  It just looked like you were going for a refreshing Kolsch-style beer, one that you can put a few away on a hot day and not get too sloshed.  🤑  I try and keep my session brews under 5% ABV, usually closer to 4%.  But it's your beer and if you want that extra oomph, go for it.  It's still going to be tasty and refreshing.

And I also like my high octane brews.  ☺️

• Like 1

Just now, Shrike said:

No, it doesn't really affect the flavor.  It just looked like you were going for a refreshing Kolsch-style beer, one that you can put a few away on a hot day and not get too sloshed.  🤑  I try and keep my session brews under 5% ABV, usually closer to 4%.  But it's your beer and if you want that extra oomph, go for it.  It's still going to be tasty and refreshing.

ah....i hear you there. always respect your advice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brewing my first ever wet hopped beer probably tomorrow! I yielded enough prussia hops to make a lager so i can get an idea on what they taste like. 

DF35DD17-4D49-4D21-AF39-9754B86F20CF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Brewing my first ever wet hopped beer probably tomorrow! I yielded enough prussia hops to make a lager so i can get an idea on what they taste like. 

DF35DD17-4D49-4D21-AF39-9754B86F20CF.jpeg

Very cool, Creeps!! Prussian Lager

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, youdontknowme311 said:

El Gordito Mexican Lager

Dead & Berried Saison 

Winter Dark Ale

Cider Refill w Raspberries 

You will have a good winter !

• Like 3

thinking about a Pilsner. haven't brewed one yet.

• Like 1

Brewing tomorrow.

First up a pale ale with a can CAL and American Ale plus .5 lb of munich. Hops HBC438 both in boil and dry hop.

If I get time tonight, I'll make a yeast starter for a Belgian Dubbel that's going to be fun to brew.

• Like 3

brewing Mr Beer's Zombie Fest partial mash recipe tomorrow. Have a couple of JDub mods. using a wyeast kolsch liquid yeast that im getting to room temp now. also i'm adding a booster. anyone brewed up this recipe before?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jdub said:

brewing Mr Beer's Zombie Fest partial mash recipe tomorrow. Have a couple of JDub mods. using a wyeast kolsch liquid yeast that im getting to room temp now. also i'm adding a booster. anyone brewed up this recipe before?

I've got the recipe and it's in the queue -- a little late for O'fest, but still looking forward to brewing it.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2018 at 6:31 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I've got the recipe and it's in the queue -- a little late for O'fest, but still looking forward to brewing it.

i know....i'm not experienced enough yet to do much "seasonal" brewing. I like beer and that octoberfest hme can was staring at me! going to LHBS tomorrow. got a couple of recipes i'm gonna stock up for. 

• Like 3

On friday im gonna brew a 8 gallon split batch. 5 gallons will be a blackberry lager and the other 3ish gallons will be a wild ale using the yeast I harvested from our cottage up north. The blackberries are also from up there and the hops will be my own home grown variety. Im pretty pumped.

• Like 4

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 10:57 PM, D Kristof said:

Paw paws are back in season. Been planning brew 3 different beers when this time of year came around, but life ain't cooperating. Acquisition of the fruit has gotten complicated because of all the stuff flowing my direction. Considered buying them, but still need to brew. Maybe I can find somebody who cans or freezes them.

FB_IMG_1537238564943.jpg

Found a source for frozen paw paws. Weather permitting I might be in business again. Gotta pull those recipes back out and get suppliers. 

• Like 1

This week will brew an altbier that will tie up the mini fridge for a bit, then a East Coast Amber and a German Maibock. After that probably will have to sort through my HME's to check the use by dates.

• Like 2