Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

Hmm, since I'm bottling an Alt tomorrow and conditioning a pale ale and a dubble, I think I'd like another shot at a wheat beer. I think that would be a nice variety from the darker beers in the pipeline.

Not too heavy of a wheat but not as light as my last Witbier. Recipe time! 

Hmm, I'd gotten a system error and tried to delete my double post, but it's doesn't let me, so sorry about that.

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Hmm, since I'm bottling an Alt tomorrow and conditioning a pale ale and a dubble, I think I'd like another shot at a wheat beer. I think that would be a nice variety from the darker beers in the pipeline.

Are you thinking all-grain or a Bavarian Weissbier partial mash?  There's always "Lost Donkey" All-Belgian Wit if you're feeling adventurous. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cato said:

did you ever try a Hefe Weizen? that would be a good one to brew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Are you thinking all-grain or a Bavarian Weissbier partial mash?  There's always "Lost Donkey" All-Belgian Wit if you're feeling adventurous. :)

Kinda thinking an LME Partial mash with a can of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME, and grains, however I've never tried the MB wheat HME.

I'll have to flesh out a recipe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jdub said:

did you ever try a Hefe Weizen? that would be a good one to brew.

I don't think I've had a hefe weizen. Never tried much in the way of wheat besides the Witbier.

52 minutes ago, Cato said:

I don't think I've had a hefe weizen. Never tried much in the way of wheat besides the Witbier.

Here in Oregon, Widmer Bros makes a rather popular and easily found Hefe-weisen sold in most grocery stores.  Not our favorite but a pretty good hefe and commonly on-sale, esp in the summer months

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Here in Oregon, Widmer Bros makes a rather popular and easily found Hefe-weisen sold in most grocery stores.  Not our favorite but a pretty good hefe and commonly on-sale, esp in the summer months

Can I tell you a secret?  I love Hefeweizens but i do not care for Widmers version at all... sorry 

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Kinda thinking an LME Partial mash with a can of Briess Bavarian Wheat LME, and grains, however I've never tried the MB wheat HME.

I'll have to flesh out a recipe.

You can never have too many Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbiers.  

Good luck with your recipe!🍻

8 hours ago, Cato said:

next time you're at total wine, pick up a single Paulaner Hefeweizen, or another brand. See what you think. I 1st tried one in the early 90's and was like, whoa.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Can I tell you a secret?  I love Hefeweizens but i do not care for Widmers version at all... sorry 

Not too worry, it's not anywhere near one of our favorites - tasting (to me) too much like a 'standard domestic'.  But Widmers does have other offerings that are much better.

14 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Hey Creeps, is there any difference in the grain bill between a Hefeweizen and a Weissbier? They seem to be the same thing as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm tinkering with a recipe but going to likely make a 2.5 gal batch with some wheat and pilsener that I have on hand.

Which yeast with wheat seems to be the biggest decision.

8 minutes ago, Cato said:

Hey Creeps, is there any difference in the grain bill between a Hefeweizen and a Weissbier? They seem to be the same thing as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I'm tinkering with a recipe but going to likely make a 2.5 gal batch with some wheat and pilsener that I have on hand.

Which yeast with wheat seems to be the biggest decision.

Id say they’re the same as far as grain bill. Id say 50/50 pilsner and wheat, noble bittering hop, and a hefe yeast would yeild a wonderful hefe 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Id say they’re the same as far as grain bill. Id say 50/50 pilsner and wheat, noble bittering hop, and a hefe yeast would yeild a wonderful hefe 

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks

got a few brews on deck loaded up into Beersmith and ready to rock. tomorrow, brewing up a batch of a recipe i made up with some random grains, with some special B in there, some DME, honey, brewers gold and cascade hops. making a yeast starter right now for this batch. may be terrible, but i doubt it because it will be beer.

next week or 2, doing a pilsner recipe, a dubbel (think i'll call it J-Dubbel) an Imperial IPA and another MRB Black Moon Rising batch.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 6:38 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

You can never have too many Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbiers.  

Good luck with your recipe!🍻

So, @Bonsai & Brew and @Creeps McLane, wife sent me to store as we were out of eggs and she needed an egg for her to die for crab cakes. Damn right I busted up there in the rain and happened to pass the craft/imported section in the store where you can make up your own six pack from any of the beers.

I got a couple Smithwicks, an Elysian Space Dust, a Hoegarten Wit, and two German Wiessbier imports, an Erdlinger, and a Weistephan. I hope those last two are good Hefe/wiess examples.

Came home and fleshed out my recipe for a max 3gal batch. 3lb. PILS, 1.5 White wheat, .75 of Red Wheat, and .75 Dark wheat. I chose those last two because I wanted a little more color and fuller taste. Yeast Mangrove Jack M20. Hops I've got Saaz, which is a noble, but kinda feeling the pull of using Mandarina Bavaria for 20-25 min for light IBU and then dry hopping the same last week.

Am I off the wall anywhere here?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cato said:

So, @Bonsai & Brew and @Creeps McLane, wife sent me to store as we were out of eggs and she needed an egg for her to die for crab cakes. Damn right I busted up there in the rain and happened to pass the craft/imported section in the store where you can make up your own six pack from any of the beers.

I got a couple Smithwicks, an Elysian Space Dust, a Hoegarten Wit, and two German Wiessbier imports, an Erdlinger, and a Weistephan. I hope those last two are good Hefe/wiess examples.

Came home and fleshed out my recipe for a max 3gal batch. 3lb. PILS, 1.5 White wheat, .75 of Red Wheat, and .75 Dark wheat. I chose those last two because I wanted a little more color and fuller taste. Yeast Mangrove Jack M20. Hops I've got Saaz, which is a noble, but kinda feeling the pull of using Mandarina Bavaria for 20-25 min for light IBU and then dry hopping the same last week.

Cato, you've got this whole brewing thing figured out!  

As for your selection, the only other one that I've had (besides Smiddy) is Hoegarten.  I'm sure some of the more experienced Weisse guys will weigh in but I don't think you can go wrong with German imports for reference beers.

Lastly, when you feel the pull of Mandarina Bavaria, always submit!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

I would stick with the saaz. The yeast will give you plenty if flavors. Enjoy it for what it is. A simple, easy drinking beer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

and two German Wiessbier imports, an Erdlinger, and a Weistephan. I hope those last two are good Hefe/wiess examples.

weihenstephaner is solid....have not had erdlinger.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jdub said:

weihenstephaner is solid....have not had erdlinger.

I'll be interested to see how they taste and compare! Thanks

@Creeps McLane - In my Zorakian state of mind, that 2 lbs of Carafa threw me off there for a minute!  Inspiring recipe though -- makes me want to actually brew my Slash Pile IPA that I've managed to put off for about 9 months or so...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Making the most out of the ingredients I have on hand, aka a kitchen sink beer

DFB15EF6-A99D-4DCF-97AB-6D0125B2AD52.png

C683EEE5-8B58-4C60-BCF5-F68CF69EA85D.png

Cornucopia 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cato said:

Cornucopia 

Zowie!

Ever figure out the $/12 oz on this baby?  Or is that a totally irrelevant factor?

Pretty excited for Saturday’s brew day. I’m gonna try to go as simple as possible. Kettle, grain basket, hop basket, plate chiller. That’s it. No pumps, no sparge, no whirlpool. Let’s try simple for a change

• Like 2

On 12/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, Squirley Mic said:

Zowie!

Ever figure out the $/12 oz on this baby?  Or is that a totally irrelevant factor?

I’ll say $1.15 per lb of grain= $28.75

columbus hops were home grown so I’ll say they were free even though the time and labor certainly would argue that

cascade hops were free, pays to go to events and what not

golding hops I’ll say $5

$20 for a lb of mosaic comes out to $2.25 for this batch

throw in $5 to cover water chemistry and whirlfloc 

yeast was approx $14

Grand total- $55

its a 10 gallon batch- 1280

$0.04296 per ounce, $0.52 per 12 oz pour. $3 for a sixer, $12 per case

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Pretty excited for Saturday’s brew day. I’m gonna try to go as simple as possible. Kettle, grain basket, hop basket, plate chiller. That’s it. No pumps, no sparge, no whirlpool. Let’s try simple for a change

I think you're really going to enjoy brew day! Certainly less clean up than 3 vessel, and I'll be interested in your thoughts on it both likes and dislikes.

Although I have been buying stuff, it's all been centered on making my brew in a bag process streamlined and simple.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Grand total- $55

its a 10 gallon batch- 1280

$0.04296 per ounce, $0.52 per 12 oz pour. $3 for a sixer, $12 per case

Excellent!  The economy of volume.  One good 6-pak of beer half as good would easily be $8-10. 

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Although I have been buying stuff, it's all been centered on making my brew in a bag process streamlined and simple.

I really liked BIAB, until my brews got too big for the bags lol. 

1 minute ago, kedogn said:

And now we know (finally) what BIAB really means! lol

In a bag?  This had to be invented by a genius -

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Squirley Mic said:

And now we know (finally) what BIAB really means! lol

In a bag?  This had to be invented by a genius -

I’m really tired, but has this seriously been questioned or am I just missing something more than usual? 

• Haha 1

making a starter tonight with wyeast czech pilsner. brewing a pils recipe this weekend. gonna lager it the right way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

I’m really tired, but has this seriously been questioned or am I just missing something more than usual? 

It was me, I asked Cato, (or someone) the other day what BIAB meant (saw it in several posts).  I got several answers.  None of which were the correct ones.  The joke was on me.  I may be late, but I finally made the party.  🤩

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kedogn said:

Exactly why I had to order a basket

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Exactly why I had to order a basket

I went with bigger kettles.  Not sure you can do a 1 bbl biab. :) 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kedogn said:

I went with bigger kettles.  Not sure you can do a 1 bbl biab. :) 

I have a friend that does 1 bbl Biab.  Had a bag made especially for it.  Uses pullys and hoists to lift the bag.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BDawg62 said:

I have a friend that does 1 bbl Biab.  Had a bag made especially for it.  Uses pullys and hoists to lift the bag.

I gotta say, that’s impressive, but what a major PITA that must be.  Some of my beers use 90+ lbs of grain (before they are wet) and I am a-ok using a scoop to get that outta the mash tun (our yard waste bin currently has about 900# of grain in it - wet - and I can’t wait to see them dump it when they pick it up today - took 2 guys to move it to the curb lol). I am also quite happy to use pumps to move the wort and sparge water.  I get the “simplicity” of the BIAB, but after 10 gals, to me, it was more of a hassle than it was worth. :) 

38 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yeah, not sure I’d know many home brewers that would be willing to pay that to brew at home. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing that link. 

Edit:  Intersting.... if this is accurate:  “The average time to brew 2 batches of beer with this system is 3.5 - 4 hours +/- meaning that you can brew up to 12BBL of beer with the 300 gallon version in a single 7-8 hour brew day.” 

Edit2:  this really has me thinking. REALLY has me thinking. The brain is churning. 

Edit3: @Creeps McLane, I just might be owing you many beers in the future!! #JustSayin 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm not seeing a 2 bbl LBK setup.

I have done a ton of research today on that 300 gallon set up.  I have yet to find a reason NOT to get it. Hmmm?  :) 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, kedogn said:

I have done a ton of research today on that 300 gallon set up.  I have yet to find a reason NOT to get it. Hmmm?  :) 

This could be karma, kismet, whatever. From what I briefly read it sounds like they handle pretty much the whole system, including the controllers.

If there's  serious interest on your part I'd want to go where they've got one in operation and talk to the guys running it. As a production manager I used to have to make some hefty equipment purchases, and to me it was  just as important for me to know the customer support and service capability when there was a breakdown.

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm not seeing a 2 bbl LBK setup.

What you haven't seen the Coopers "put your big boy pants on 2bbl fermenter"? Comes with a small hand operated forklift, so you can tilt it and not get trub in the kegs!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Cato said:

If there's  serious interest on your part I'd want to go where they've got one in operation and talk to the guys running it.

We know a local, fairly local, brewery that has one. Not sure if it’s the same company or not though. 

What I like about it is that you can basically run 2 3bbl beers at the same time. The thought of the ease of running 12bbls in a day or even 4 3bbl batches of different beers excites me.   Would mean a need for several different fermenters/brites, but could be done and with the savings vs a standard 7bbl system, wow! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

What you haven't seen the Coopers "put your big boy pants on 2bbl fermenter"? Comes with a small hand operated forklift, so you can tilt it and not get trub in the kegs!

And perving your fermenting beer has never been easier!

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, kedogn said:

Yeah, not sure I’d know many home brewers that would be willing to pay that to brew at home. Interesting though. Thanks for sharing that link. 

Edit:  Intersting.... if this is accurate:  “The average time to brew 2 batches of beer with this system is 3.5 - 4 hours +/- meaning that you can brew up to 12BBL of beer with the 300 gallon version in a single 7-8 hour brew day.” 

Edit2:  this really has me thinking. REALLY has me thinking. The brain is churning. 

Edit3: @Creeps McLane, I just might be owing you many beers in the future!! #JustSayin 

When i was dreaming of owning a brewery / bakery i really liked that you could just hoist out the basket and set it on something and wheel it over to the bakery. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

When i was dreaming of owning a brewery / bakery i really liked that you could just hoist out the basket and set it on something and wheel it over to the bakery. 

That would be a great use of it. Seems like a pretty straight forward, easy to use (once programmed) set up. I look forward (most likely) to Brewing on it. 

• Like 2

made a starter tonight with omega belgian ale yeast. gonna brew up a dubbel recipe in a few days. have MRB Black Moon Rising round 2 on deck after that.

• Like 2

Ok, i have a confession. Last brew day I planned on adding 2 oz of Columbus hops to my mash, however, i did not because the mash was quite thick already. So now im looking for more hops to add to the dry hop. I already have 1 oz of wamiea, mosaic and cascade ready to go. However, i was looking for one more hop to use and all i really have are cluster and willamette. Thankfully the beer gods put 9 oz of citra hops in my hands earlier today. So ill at least add 1 oz of those too. Everything happens for a reason

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Thankfully the beer gods put 9 oz of citra hops in my hands earlier today. So ill at least add 1 oz of those too. Everything happens for a reason

Have you ever used Ekuanot hops in one of your beers, Creeps?

10 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

I have not. Ive heard it mentioned more and more in recent podcasts ive listened to. Maybe i should buy a lb and check it out. I have a few lbs of hops in the freezer but is enough really ever enough???

2 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

I’m obviously not Creeps, but neither have I. The only reason I answer is I have 11# in my hop freezer.  Is there a specific reason you ask? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I have not. Ive heard it mentioned more and more in recent podcasts ive listened to. Maybe i should buy a lb and check it out. I have a few lbs of hops in the freezer but is enough really ever enough???

No, enough is never enough.  Brew on!

9 hours ago, kedogn said:

I’m obviously not Creeps, but neither have I. The only reason I answer is I have 11# in my hop freezer.  Is there a specific reason you ask? 

Only this: In my 1st experiment I used 0.5 oz Ekuanot hop pellets (recommended me by my b-in-l, to create my 'Sweet 'Lil Holga' batch.  So far, this is the best (by far) batch of beer that I've made.  I don't have anywhere near enough experience to tell you what using the Ekuanot hops did differently than another type but I do know that this recipe experiment benefited greatly from them.  I  used the remainder in my 3rd experiment but haven't yet tasted it.  Compared to the ones my wife bought at the Christmas bazaar, and the ones MRB sent me for the Hop Head Red recipe (Willamette pellets) they definitely do have a different aroma.  Before I started this hobby, I thought hops were hops, essentially, and never gave them much thought.  I should know better: my ancestors were some of the first hop growers in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.  But that was several generations back -

11 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

fwiw, those hops certainly worked great in Mr. Beer's Bindlestick Hoppy Wheat recipe.

• Like 4

i think i'm going to use last minute Christmas shopping as a cover to brew tomorrow. I'm out of my MRB Black Moon Rising brew and I may whip up another batch of that. Gonna steep some special b and carapils and then just follow the recipe. using nottingham yeast....will be a 1st for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

i think i'm going to use last minute Christmas shopping as a cover to brew tomorrow. I'm out of my MRB Black Moon Rising brew and I may whip up another batch of that. Gonna steep some special b and carapils and then just follow the recipe. using nottingham yeast....will be a 1st for me.

For someone who doesn't know much about anything other than straight extract brewing (me) what do you actually do when you say "steep some special b and carapils"?  Does this mean you purchase some grains (?) and cook them up before adding to the wort from the extract?  I know this is very basic, but that's where I am - at the basic brewing level.  Thanks, Jdub.

5 minutes ago, Squirley Mic said:

For someone who doesn't know much about anything other than straight extract brewing (me) what do you actually do when you say "steep some special b and carapils"?  Does this mean you purchase some grains (?) and cook them up before adding to the wort from the extract?  I know this is very basic, but that's where I am - at the basic brewing level.  Thanks, Jdub.

Steeping and Mashing Grains 101, from MRB website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Squirley Mic said:

what @Shrike said..... i had some grains that I had purchased for other recipes. I put a couple of oz each into a hop sack and steeped it for 30 minutes like a tea bag in about 5 cups of water at ~152 deg. Then just continue the regular HME instructions. Very simple and adds flavor and body to your brew. Also threw in 1/2 cup of honey just because. Don't feel bad, I can only imagine the questions i asked on this forum last Jan/Feb once i got a kit for Christmas!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jdub said:

what @Shrike said..... i had some grains that I had purchased for other recipes. I put a couple of oz each into a hop sack and steeped it for 30 minutes like a tea bag in about 5 cups of water at ~152 deg. Then just continue the regular HME instructions. Very simple and adds flavor and body to your brew. Also threw in 1/2 cup of honey just because. Don't feel bad, I can only imagine the questions i asked on this forum last Jan/Feb once i got a kit for Christmas!

Speaking of which, Forum Friends, they are coming.  Let's greet them warmly and help them...no matter how many times the questions have been asked and answered.  😜  We were all newbies once.  I don't know if I'd even still be brewing if it weren't for the great advice I found here.

new-brewers-are-coming.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jdub said:

Sounds so much easier than I imagined.  Clearly, I need to continue adding to my beer pantry which is growing every month.  I love this hobby!  And I do very much appreciate those willing to help us beginners.  Thanks ~

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shrike said:

We were all newbies once

Agreed!  I brewed my 1st batch 9 years ago today. Had it not been for the help of people here, who knows where I would have been or if I would have even stuck with it. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Squirley Mic said:

Sounds so much easier than I imagined.  Clearly, I need to continue adding to my beer pantry which is growing every month.  I love this hobby!  And I do very much appreciate those willing to help us beginners.  Thanks ~

Prepare for a slippery slope!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just stocked up on grains that will see me through my next couple AG brews and several MB partial mash's. @RickBeer supported your LBHS, AIH since they had grains and hops on sale! They carry some grains that my normal supplier doesn't and a much larger hops selection.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cato said:

Just stocked up on grains that will see me through my next couple AG brews and several MB partial mash's. @RickBeer supported your LBHS, AIH since they had grains and hops on sale! They carry some grains that my normal supplier doesn't and a much larger hops selection.

The best part about them is that they have low prices and a reward system. Most of my big purchases are done through them so that I can go buy little things for free later

• Like 2

This is more for me than for you:  This is my to do list this weekend

Harvest London Ale III Yeast:

Clean Mason Jars

Pick up new mason jar lids

Sanitize Jars

Harvest Yeast

Dry Hop Black IPA:

Harvest Yeast

Measure Hops

Drop in Hops

Raise to 68

Rack Wild Botulism Ale into secondary:

Wait a long time

Clean 2 one gallon Carboys

Find a tube for the transfer

Find bungs for carboys

Sanitize

Rack

Brew a kettle soured beer????

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, Shrike said:

Speaking of which, Forum Friends, they are coming.  Let's greet them warmly and help them...no matter how many times the questions have been asked and answered.  😜  We were all newbies once.  I don't know if I'd even still be brewing if it weren't for the great advice I found here.

new-brewers-are-coming.jpg

Soon they will be here, maybe just as pissed off as I was when I fermented my first batch at 68F on the floor in the closet upstairs. Just in a years time I can think back to so many that came on for a batch or two and then they were gone.

• Sad 1

I fermented on the pantry floor, with a small heater running to keep the temps up...  😕

6 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I fermented on the pantry floor, with a small heater running to keep the temps up...  😕

I've heard of being in the doghouse but having SWMBO banish you to a cold pantry with only a small heater. WOW!

• Haha 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, Shrike said:

I agree, but I'm thinking we could save everyone some time and trouble by convincing Mr. Beer to include Rick's phone number in every kit

• Haha 2

Zombie Lust.

I've not had the 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust, and Total Wine doesn't have it but looking at clone grist and hops, it  fits a brew I can drink. I used a gift card to order some extra 2 row and 8 oz of Citra, everything else I have on hand.

I noticed some people either use S-04 or S-05 for their dry yeast. I'm thinking S-05 would make for a crisper finish, which might pair well with all that load of Citra.

• Like 2

tomorrow brewing up an AG super hopped Pliny the Elder clone. never had the real deal, but obsessed with things that i can't get. will see how the clone tastes. brewing with my son who goes back to college this weekend. will share finished product during spring break.

• Like 3

Ah, 8 oz Citra and 10 lb of 2-row hit the front porch this morning, which is perfect, because it'll be nasty stormy nor'Easter starting Sat night and all day Sunday will be windy and rainy. Brew day! Try my hand at a Zombie Dust Clone.

I'll do a full volume boil and plan on netting about 4.5gal 

Be my first Beersmith brew and water adjustments, plus using ph meter to chart how I did. I'm excited!

Running short on time to get a nice batch bottled before knee surgery mid February. Hate the thought of downtime and ewww surgery, but limping around like I've been on an unstable knee isn't getting it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jdub said:

tomorrow brewing up an AG super hopped Pliny the Elder clone. never had the real deal, but obsessed with things that i can't get. will see how the clone tastes. brewing with my son who goes back to college this weekend. will share finished product during spring break.

You mash in yet???

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

You mash in yet???

yes, i mashed about 10am this morning. went well. didn't hit my OG #'s. came in a bit lower than i wanted. this recipe called for hop stand at flame out. cooled to 180 deg and whirlpooled for 20 minutes. i think i messed up in beersmith with boil time. changed it at last minute from 60 to 90 min boil. realized i had overlooked that. don't think BS adjusted. not sure. oh well. i made beer! smelled great.

also bottled up my 2nd round of Black Moon Rising. recipe using MRB Winter Dark Ale. put it in 740ml PET bottles. put it away and will crack one in about 3 or 4 months.

• Like 3

Just brewed That Voodoo that you do but with a pound of Briess Bavarian Wheat DME in place of the Mr. Beer Golden LME

• Like 2

Here is my upcoming schedule.  I had some ingredients collecting dust, took a few years off from brewing (I was busy and stuff ok!).

2019 Back to Beer Schedule

• 12/26/18

• Autumn ESB 1 - Brew

• 01/12/19

• All American Gold - Brew

• 01/20/19

• Autumn ESB - Cold Crash

• 01/26/19

• Autumn ESB 1 - Bottle

• Santa Catalina - Brew

• 02/06/19

• All American Gold - Cold Crash

• 02/09/19

• All American Gold - Bottle

• Party time Pilsner - Brew

• 02/20/19

• Santa Catalina - Cold Crash

• 02/23/19

• Autumn ESB 1 - Taste

• Santa Catalina - Bottle

• Autumn ESB 2 - Brew

• 03/06/19

• Party Time Pilz - Cold Crash

• 03/09/19

• All American Gold - Taste

• Party time Pilsner - Bottle

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Brew

• 03/20/19

• Autumn ESB 2 - Cold Crash

• 03/23/19

• Santa Catalina - Taste

• Autumn ESB 2 - Bottle

• Horses Ass Ale - Brew

• 04/03/19

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Cold Crash

• 04/06/19

• Party time Pilsner - Taste

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Bottle

• 04/17/19

• Horses Ass Ale - Cold Crash

• 04/20/19

• Autumn ESB 2 - Taste

• Horses Ass Ale - Bottle

• 05/04/19

• Ragin' Rincon Pale Ale - Taste

• 05/18/19

• Horses Ass Ale - Taste

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clonedogg said:

Here is my upcoming schedule.  I had some ingredients collecting dust, took a few years off from brewing (I was busy and stuff ok!).

2019 Back to Beer Schedule

Very ambitious.  Very commendable.  Very delicious variety.  You're back.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, McSquirrely said:

Very ambitious.  Very commendable.  Very delicious variety.  You're back.

Image result for im back meme

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2016 at 12:01 AM, MrWhy said:

Breathing. Thinking good thoughts. Everyone makes mistakes....i'm okay...it's okay....baby steps....

If this is the worst thing you do, you're going to be OK. Hang in there.

In 10 hours ill be holding my corny keg under some kind of tubing to get 5 gallons of wort from a local brewery! Brewing a saison... are you surprised?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

In 10 hours ill be holding my corny keg under some kind of tubing to get 5 gallons of wort from a local brewery! Brewing a saison... are you surprised?

Which local brewery?

I will go as far as a week or 5 out only.

I have 2 HMS from 2018 date still.

Porter maybe  with anise (Maybe with Blackbeerd grains too)

American Ale - fruity  with booster I have to use up (I get 2 per HME) and misc left over hops. Last one was good.

then

Irish Red Ale  (based on CAL, as I find Oktoberfest is too heavy maybe Oktoberfest needs more hop to balance?)

So Rob texted me this morning and said there was a big accident at work and he wasn’t able to pick up his wort this morning with me. So naturally I called my dad and he helped me out. So dad was Rob earlier today. Got both our wort picked up and I threw mine in the snow bank (kegged) and went and took a 4 hour nap.  Woke up feeling like a brand new man but still obviously not 100%. So tomorrow brew day starts. BeerSmith recipe is completely done, I was told the mash temp, the post mash gravity and a bunch of water stuff that I’m not going to worry about cuz I don’t know what size their system is.

Kinda weird thing is I’m gonna water down my 5 gallons 1.046 wort, boil for an hour and add some candi syrup just to end up with 5 gallons of 1.056 wort. Kinda messes with my head

2802D262-756E-416C-B3CB-9A3A76281718.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Got both our wort picked up

so what was the deal? was this brewery giving away wort today? what's the occassion?

thinking about what MRB recipe to brew next. i have an american porter hme, so i was thinking about another round of black beer'd porter. i have a bunch of LME's, grains and some s-05. but on the other hand @Shrike i have a el gordito kit in hand that i need to brew. on the other hand, i have a can of bewitched that i could brew too? #homebrewproblems

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

so what was the deal? was this brewery giving away wort today? what's the occassion?

This is the first time I’ve heard of any brewery giving away wort. I’ve heard of places just doing a wort giveaway but this place is letting 20 of us bring the wort home, boil it and ferment it and the best beer gets put on tap in the brewery. In exactly 4 weeks we meet back up and have a social drinking event and judges will be walking around sampling beers. Kinda cool eh?

• Like 2

what do y'all think about a variation of the Sunday Morning Coming Down recipe. 1 porter hme, pale LME (i only have that and robust), a booster, some grains....chocolate and carapils. us-05 and at bottling use a shot of espresso. anyone done a coffee beer before?

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

This is the first time I’ve heard of any brewery giving away wort. I’ve heard of places just doing a wort giveaway but this place is letting 20 of us bring the wort home, boil it and ferment it and the best beer gets put on tap in the brewery. In exactly 4 weeks we meet back up and have a social drinking event and judges will be walking around sampling beers. Kinda cool eh?

that is greatness. so i guess it's just a general base malt type of post mash wort, and then you're going to do your own boil? that is a cool concept. how did you hear about it? did they advertise it? i'll have to look around at some of our local breweries to see if they do something similar.

8 minutes ago, Jdub said:

that is greatness. so i guess it's just a general base malt type of post mash wort, and then you're going to do your own boil? that is a cool concept. how did you hear about it? did they advertise it? i'll have to look around at some of our local breweries to see if they do something similar.

88% 2 row, 12% crystal 15. 

Actually a friend told me about it from Facebook. I then started following any and all breweries in the area to make sure I didn’t miss opportunities like this in the future. I’ve heard of lots of breweries doing this before but never in my area. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jdub said:

what do y'all think about a variation of the Sunday Morning Coming Down recipe. 1 porter hme, pale LME (i only have that and robust), a booster, some grains....chocolate and carapils. us-05 and at bottling use a shot of espresso. anyone done a coffee beer before?

I made a coffee stout once. Brewed a stout, and added a large glass of cold brewed coffee from the gas station. I think I brought that cold brew home and ran it through some more coffee. Dumped it in the keg, then racked the stout on top. Delicious 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

88% 2 row, 12% crystal 15. 

Actually a friend told me about it from Facebook. I then started following any and all breweries in the area to make sure I didn’t miss opportunities like this in the future. I’ve heard of lots of breweries doing this before but never in my area. 

thanks for the tip. i just visited my local brewery's facebook page (Shannon Brewing) and found out they're running a special. filling growlers for $10 of blackberry crystal wheat! will stop by tomorrow to get some.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

That's way cool!