Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

On 2/23/2019 at 8:08 PM, Creeps McLane said:

So Rob texted me this morning and said there was a big accident at work and he wasn’t able to pick up his wort this morning with me. So naturally I called my dad and he helped me out. So dad was Rob earlier today. Got both our wort picked up and I threw mine in the snow bank (kegged) and went and took a 4 hour nap.  Woke up feeling like a brand new man but still obviously not 100%. So tomorrow brew day starts. BeerSmith recipe is completely done, I was told the mash temp, the post mash gravity and a bunch of water stuff that I’m not going to worry about cuz I don’t know what size their system is.

Kinda weird thing is I’m gonna water down my 5 gallons 1.046 wort, boil for an hour and add some candi syrup just to end up with 5 gallons of 1.056 wort. Kinda messes with my head

2802D262-756E-416C-B3CB-9A3A76281718.jpeg

Nice, good luck and hope you win!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Cato said:

Nice, good luck and hope you win!

Im kinda suffering with you right now. 3 days without a beer so far. Tonight that streak will end. Damn flu / cold thing. Damn it to hell. Ill devote my first one to you tonight 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Im kinda suffering with you right now. 3 days without a beer so far. Tonight that streak will end. Damn flu / cold thing. Damn it to hell. Ill devote my first one to you tonight 

I can't risk it while on the strong stuff. Sigh, will stay the course until they step down my meds.

• Sad 1

I've switched back to ales, so here's my current schedule:

-  3 Zombies IPA
-  Crafty Bitch v2.0
-  WDA Enhanced
-  Dry River IPA
-  Crafty Bitch v2.1
-  Crater Stout
-  Santa Rita
-  WDA Enhanced
-  Black Beer'd Porter

• Like 2

next 2 brews: AG saison recipe that i found online. picked up my grains, hops and yeast from my HBS today while i was filling up my new CO2 tank. after that, brewing a MRB Sunday Morning Coming Down batch.

• Like 2

question for my brew homies.....i'm going to brew the sunday morning coming down MRB recipe. i have lme, but I don't have a can of stout HME. I DO have a porter and a couple of WDA HME's. which would you sub for the stout?

47 minutes ago, Jdub said:

question for my brew homies.....i'm going to brew the sunday morning coming down MRB recipe. i have lme, but I don't have a can of stout HME. I DO have a porter and a couple of WDA HME's. which would you sub for the stout?

I'd use the porter.  The WDA has quite a hoppy character that might be overpowering in a coffee stout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I'd use the porter.  The WDA has quite a hoppy character that might be overpowering in a coffee stout.

that's the kind of advice i was looking for. done deal. will use the porter. thanks!

• Like 2

Next Four are:

Dead Ringer American IPA - 5 oz of hops - 5 gal

Sierra Nevada Clone - 5 gal

Roke IPA (MRB) - 1 gal

Long Play IPA (MRB)- 2 gal

• Like 3

Plan change - first  use up American Ale that is oldest. (other than 2 Baltic Porters and a Coopers 6Gal Dark Ale. all dated 2017 (!) but they are dark anyway. The Baltic Porter probably next after.)

Fruity American Ale 2 - American Ale HME with booster and 8 oz wheat DME, 1 oz mix HBC438 (SABRO) and Brambling Cross.   1/3 15 min boil, 1/3 flameout, 1/3 7 day DH. Mr B  yeast, 5g is OK for OG 1.050

Aroma notes - a real rural  fruit salad.

Sabro: coconut, grapefruit, lemon grass, and wood.
Bramling Cross: lemon, black currant, and hay aromas

• Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 9:48 PM, Shrike said:

@Shrike one more question regarding that sunday morning coming down. the recipe doesn't suggest or include any hop additions. would you include any hops in a boil for a few mins? or just brew it with just the PM/LME and HME? i have a lot of left over hops. many different varieties. just curious.

8 hours ago, Jdub said:

@Shrike one more question regarding that sunday morning coming down. the recipe doesn't suggest or include any hop additions. would you include any hops in a boil for a few mins? or just brew it with just the PM/LME and HME? i have a lot of left over hops. many different varieties. just curious.

With the added coffee it doesn't really need any extra hops.  But if I were to add some I'd go with something like Willamette, Goldings, Fuggle, or Northern Brewer.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

https://learn.kegerator.com/recipe-cascade-smash-pale-ale/

Using Nottingham yeast instead.

This yeast seems to be the perfect ale yeast for my basement environment.

Checked two All Grain LBK's  yesterday and both were 57 degrees.

thanks for the link. just loaded up a 3 gallon version of that recipe in Beersmith for a rainy day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jdub said:

thanks for the link. just loaded up a 3 gallon version of that recipe in Beersmith for a rainy day.

Inserted data for 5 gallon recipe into a spreadsheet, then calculated for any size.

Once I learn the variables/data-sets, I will become a Beersmith.

image.png.b12a5bd1343e4f41178726e77ab6a5aa.png

• Like 3

Day 9 of the Power Outage. Time to brew the next batch. No problem:

Extract on the wood stove to warm before adding to kettle. Water for wort brought to boil on the gas camp stove outside, along with 1 cup of agave and 1 pack MRB booster; brought to boil, shutdown, (Long Play) extract added to the wort, into the LBK on top of 1 gallon of snow-cooled water. Vigorously stirred w/more snow-cooled water added to +2 gallon mark. Std MRB yeast pitched, placed into kegging room - 66F.

I'm calling this batch 'Sno-Play IPA'. 16.3 initial brix.

35F outside with 8” snow, No sign of power restoration anytime soon...no problem. Life goes on.

• Like 5

Now that is dedication - good for you 😎

Hope everything else resolves soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thoughts turning to how I want to rebuild my mostly depleted pipeline. 

I'll need some good staple brews to form the backbone to start off with before I can start working in new styles.

Sooo, it'll be spring and to get things rolling I'll  start off with an Irish Red recipe in an LBK, and a Altbier recipe in my ss mini brew bucket. These I can do pretty much back to back, allowing just a few days separation since they'll both fit in the mini fridge at the same time.

Using the same combo of fermenters I'll  do a  citrus zest Witbier in an LBK, and either a variation of @Creeps McLane's Little Trees PA or if figs are in season yet, try to flesh out that Jester King beer that uses smoked figs. Lol, that would be very experimental for me, but I've got a nice digital electric smoker that can do cold smoke temps, and I like figs so there you go.

Plus I figure once I get my wood and fig recipe down, I can vacuum seal those puppies and pack some off to Wisconsin and see what Creeps can come up with.

Yep looking forward to spring 2019.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cato said:

Thoughts turning to how I want to rebuild my mostly depleted pipeline. 

I'll need some good staple brews to form the backbone to start off with before I can start working in new styles.

Sooo, it'll be spring and to get things rolling I'll  start off with an Irish Red recipe in an LBK, and a Altbier recipe in my ss mini brew bucket. These I can do pretty much back to back, allowing just a few days separation since they'll both fit in the mini fridge at the same time.

Using the same combo of fermenters I'll  do a  citrus zest Witbier in an LBK, and either a variation of @Creeps McLane's Little Trees PA or if figs are in season yet, try to flesh out that Jester King beer that uses smoked figs. Lol, that would be very experimental for me, but I've got a nice digital electric smoker that can do cold smoke temps, and I like figs so there you go.

Plus I figure once I get my wood and fig recipe down, I can vacuum seal those puppies and pack some off to Wisconsin and see what Creeps can come up with.

Yep looking forward to spring 2019.

Youll have to go get a bottle of the smoked fig beer and steal their yeast. I just last night got my next grain order ready and put the noble king recipe in my cart. Im thinking a nice 4.5% beer for SD would be nice to pack.

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Youll have to go get a bottle of the smoked fig beer and steal their yeast. I just last night got my next grain order ready and put the noble king recipe in my cart. Im thinking a nice 4.5% beer for SD would be nice to pack.

Lol, I think Jester uses wild yeast if I remember correctly but I've got time on my hands to do some research and make my best interpretation.

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Cato hmmmm I might know someone in TX who could arrange a bottle for you if you can’t get it in VA. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jdub said:

@Cato hmmmm I might know someone in TX who could arrange a bottle for you if you can’t get it in VA. 

Lol, thanks my friend. Actually the recipe looks pretty doable and since it's a saisons, it could be fun to try.

Lol, first I'll need to produce some great smoked figs.

Tomorrow it will be 14 days without power - most of the snow is gone, but not all.  I'm supposed to crash my next batch tomorrow - thankfully it's still in the mid to low 30's outside so I'll just set the lbk in the snow patch, cover it with a towel and let it crash.  Bottling is easily done with melted snow water and takes no power so  I don't even need to run the generator.  On Wednesday it's back to the camp stove as I attempt my clone of Santiam Brewing's Pirate Stout.  I have all the necessary ingredients save the English Admiral hops and those I may need to substitute with the 'mystery' hops already on hand.  The brewing goes on (as does the delightful consumption of some of the earlier efforts!).  😋

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McSquirrely said:

Tomorrow it will be 14 days without power - most of the snow is gone, but not all.  I'm supposed to crash my next batch tomorrow - thankfully it's still in the mid to low 30's outside so I'll just set the lbk in the snow patch, cover it with a towel and let it crash.  Bottling is easily done with melted snow water and takes no power so  I don't even need to run the generator.  On Wednesday it's back to the camp stove as I attempt my clone of Santiam Brewing's Pirate Stout.  I have all the necessary ingredients save the English Admiral hops and those I may need to substitute with the 'mystery' hops already on hand.  The brewing goes on (as does the delightful consumption of some of the earlier efforts!).  😋

you-improvise-adapt-overcome.jpg&f=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, McSquirrely said:

Where are you? At the Amundsen-Scott Research facility in Antartica? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Where are you? At the Amundsen-Scott Research facility in Antartica? 

Coastal Mts of Western Oregon.  Our snow, when we get it, is full of water - blue snow they call it.  Very, very heavy.  It took down power lines in three surrounding counties and where we live is just about at the very tip end of the power grid.  Only two houses past ours for the next 40+ miles with power.  This beats a record long standing.  Day 16 and counting....

• Sad 3

Switching my regular saison hopping schedule to match that of noble king. So on sunday im gonna do one mash, two boils, three beers. IPA, Hoppy saison and a fruited hoppy saison. This is the last of competition brews for this year as of right now. 

• Like 2

Lol, ferried up and down the stairs quite a bit today, but good exercise for my knee. Weighed grains for my Mystic Red Irish ale and should get supplies in for an Altbier recipe tomorrow. Rigged up a long extension for my IC, so I won't have to move the kettle off the workbench while chilling the wort.

My Red ale will be my first without roasted barley. Using Cara Aroma for most of the color, plus some melanoiden. Going to be an interesting red, and malty. Golden Promise, CaraAroma, Carafoam, and Melanoiden. Hops, Saaz for light bittering and some Cascade for aroma/flavor. Yeast- Nottingham. 3 gal.

My Altbier, I'll just do an LBK batch size as this one will be a bit different from my last Altbier, but will be fun to compare to see which I like better. I hit a homerun last time, I thought, but this variation has some interesting different grist players, so........

• Like 2

Im gonna brew a saison, shocking I know.  but Im gonna ferment in primary with saison yeast and lacto and then secondary with some brett.  Its gonna be a long process but itll be worth it.  Challenge is to get plenty of dextrins in there for the brett to chew on.  No matter what, @Big Sarge is sure to receive a bottle or 6. 

Also I gotta get some amber lager figured out for September when I go visit the badlands and @Bonsai & Brew

Might sound crazy, but Im gonna also possibly pick up some oak spirals from Austin Homebrew Supply for the sasion / lacto / breet beer. Id like to get some oak tannins in there as well for added body. Might ship those to my inlaws in TX while im down there visiting them and @Jdub.  Maybe bring back some Jester King beer and propagate some yeast for that beer. who knows. anythings possible. 

• Like 4

Back into the brewing this week trying a Josh Weikert based Altbier recipe. As usual with a new recipe, I'll stay fairly close to the grist ratios with just some slight grist substitutions on my part. So interested to see how it fares against my Dusseldorf Alt. I think I'll always want to have an Alt in my inventory.

Next after the Alt will be my return to a Witbier. Heavy wheats are totally out of my wheelhouse but Erdlinger Wit, Mothership Wit, and Blue Moon fall in it. I find myself often adding either white or red wheat instead of Carapils or Carafoam to my recipes these days.

Poor wheat grinds from suppliers prompted me to get a grain mill last fall, and since then it's made a big impact on my BIAB process.

• Like 2

First taste, SMASH, Pale Ale Malt & Cascade Pellet Hops.

Good, but needs more hop flavor, malt is too dominant.

Notes taken to improve.

@Fire Rooster i'm gonna do a cascade smash next i think. been thinking about it since you posted that smash article. however, gonna do hops schedule like this: FW hops, whirlpool hops and 7 day dry hop. goal is to get more hop flavor, not the bitterness. thinking about cascade cryo hops too.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jdub said:

@Fire Rooster i'm gonna do a cascade smash next i think. been thinking about it since you posted that smash article. however, gonna do hops schedule like this: FW hops, whirlpool hops and 7 day dry hop. goal is to get more hop flavor, not the bitterness. thinking about cascade cryo hops too.

Third all grain brew was first SMaSH recipe, first time using pale ale malt, and first time mashing correctly at 151.

Beers malt is tasty, beer itself is very crisp and clean, but lacks a notable hop presence.  This batch was 4 pounds grain

for 2 gallons, prior two were 5 1/2 pounds grain per 2 gallons, ABV too high on those.  Slowly getting away from ever opening the

fermenter, don't like dry hopping, and will also try that cryo whirlpool at 120.  I would like a set it and forget it fermenter, and

will do any extra processes to make that happen. 

side note, using 22 oz glass bottles, and saving three bottles per batch to age.     

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Third all grain brew was first SMaSH recipe, first time using pale ale malt, and first time mashing correctly at 151.

Beers malt is tasty, beer itself is very crisp and clean, but lacks a notable hop presence.  This batch was 4 pounds grain

for 2 gallons, prior two were 5 1/2 pounds grain per 2 gallons, ABV too high on those.  Slowly getting away from ever opening the

fermenter, don't like dry hopping, and will also try that cryo whirlpool at 120.  I would like a set it and forget it fermenter, and

will do any extra processes to make that happen. 

side note, using 22 oz glass bottles, and saving three bottles per batch to age.     

i think dry hopping is pretty important to get that hop flavor, don't know how to avoid it. maybe add hop tea at bottling? i haven't had any issues with it thus far.

33 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i think dry hopping is pretty important to get that hop flavor, don't know how to avoid it. maybe add hop tea at bottling? i haven't had any issues with it thus far.

Dry hopping has a huge impact on hop aroma, vs. flavor.  Of course our sense of smell does impact our sense of taste.

960408390_hopboilingtime.jpg.c31786524f2a748ae16ff8d000cb0107.jpg

• Thanks 1

Brewing a 3 gal batch of Altbier tomorrow, BIAB. Gathered my grains, and normally grind them the night before but not happening tonight.

Weather going to be perfect for brewing in the garage with a high of 74. That means the IC coil should get me down to pitch temps pretty fast.

Alts are fun as the hop schedule isn't demanding and I love the hybrid nature of fermenting an ale at lager temps. That Wyeast 1007 rocks.

• Like 2

A Witbier and a Jester King Figlet Ale will be my next beers now that I have got a couple of staples in the works that will shore up my somewhat depleted pipeline.

The Wit, I'm glad to give another shot at now that I have a grain mill and can make sure that my wheat is crushed well. That didn't work out well on my last batch, but live and learn.

The Figlet ale will be an experiment but I've researched a bit on smoking figs and will try both hot smoking them and cold smoke and pick which would be best to dry hop in the ale. As to which saison yeast to use @Creeps McLane, you do a lot of farmhouse ales so I could use a little advice there and I'm open to suggestions as the only one I've used has been the Belle Saison dry yeast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cato said:

A Witbier and a Jester King Figlet Ale will be my next beers now that I have got a couple of staples in the works that will shore up my somewhat depleted pipeline.

The Wit, I'm glad to give another shot at now that I have a grain mill and can make sure that my wheat is crushed well. That didn't work out well on my last batch, but live and learn.

The Figlet ale will be an experiment but I've researched a bit on smoking figs and will try both hot smoking them and cold smoke and pick which would be best to dry hop in the ale. As to which saison yeast to use @Creeps McLane, you do a lot of farmhouse ales so I could use a little advice there and I'm open to suggestions as the only one I've used has been the Belle Saison dry yeast.

In case you have extra figs

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/grilling-figs-stuffed-with-goat-cheese-recipe.html

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Well, if you’re trying to clone figlet then id say youd have to steal yeast from bottles of petite prince or some other non barrel aged jester king beer. Theres a ton of brett and lacto in their house strain. 

Otherwise, theres nothing wrong with the belle saison. I almost exclusively use saisonsteins monster from omega. It really dries out the beer but has a restrained belgian character but keeps the more spicy notes. I hated the french saison strains. Thats just me though. The regular belgian saison strains are usually good if youre looking for a more pronounced belgian apricot type. For figlet id maybe try the C2C american farmhouse strain from omega and let it ferment for 4-6 weeks because of the brett in it. Remember, brett is yeast, its not a bacteria. Theres nothing to fear

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Well, if you’re trying to clone figlet then id say youd have to steal yeast from bottles of petite prince or some other non barrel aged jester king beer. Theres a ton of brett and lacto in their house strain. 

Otherwise, theres nothing wrong with the belle saison. I almost exclusively use saisonsteins monster from omega. It really dries out the beer but has a restrained belgian character but keeps the more spicy notes. I hated the french saison strains. Thats just me though. The regular belgian saison strains are usually good if youre looking for a more pronounced belgian apricot type. For figlet id maybe try the C2C american farmhouse strain from omega and let it ferment for 4-6 weeks because of the brett in it. Remember, brett is yeast, its not a bacteria. Theres nothing to fear

What about carbonation? I use a sugar dot =1/2 tsp for pales, etc. but for saisons I used 1/4 tsp and that worked out well.

I certainly don't anticipate a close clone to the Jester, but I never do with any clone recipe, I just like to take the general grist recipe and put my print on it. Lol, why I'd rather not have tasted the original. No expectations and no frustration, just my beer.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

What about carbonation? I use a sugar dot =1/2 tsp for pales, etc. but for saisons I used 1/4 tsp and that worked out well.

I certainly don't anticipate a close clone to the Jester, but I never do with any clone recipe, I just like to take the general grist recipe and put my print on it. Lol, why I'd rather not have tasted the original. No expectations and no frustration, just my beer.

Saisons are pretty much why i stopped bottling. I could never predict the outcome. The priming calculator would assume 85% attenuation and id get 110%. Thats why i keg now. Dial it back is all i can say

Was low on extracts when I found a can of Breiss CBW Golden Light on sale at a local hardware store for <$9.  It's a 3.3 lb soft can for 5 gallons.  I'm gonna half it, add some malto-dextrin and a lager yeast (Saflager 33) and see if I can brew a lager/pilsner out of this for the daughter who likes the domestic lights.  Wondering if any here have tried the Breiss extracts?  I've used plenty of their DME's, but never the extract.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic-S said:

Was low on extracts when I found a can of Breiss CBW Golden Light on sale at a local hardware store for <$9.  It's a 3.3 lb soft can for 5 gallons.  I'm gonna half it, add some malto-dextrin and a lager yeast (Saflager 33) and see if I can brew a lager/pilsner out of this for the daughter who likes the domestic lights.  Wondering if any here have tried the Breiss extracts?  I've used plenty of their DME's, but never the extract.

Its been a long time since i used extract but im pretty sure for a 5 gallon batch youd use two of those 3.3 lb cans. So one can should be good for one lbk batch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mic-S said:

Yah, agree with Creeps. That can is approx equivalent to about 5.5 lbs of grain, so should be good for a 2.5 gal batch.

Their extract is excellent and I've used it in a number of partial mashes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Yah, agree with Creeps. That can is approx equivalent to about 5.5 lbs of grain, so should be good for a 2.5 gal batch.

Their extract is excellent and I've used it in a number of partial mashes.

I have used it too. If you use half, pitch a little vodka on top of the remaining LME before you seal it up to ensure it stays sterile while waiting for the next batch..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottling the Cooper's Dark Ale +  leftover Dark LMEs and HBC438 hop all in similar wort - being a split up 6 gal brew with different yeasts

One with S-33 yeast. Minot film on surface, Tastes pretty dry roasty, a little warming, spicy peppery finish.

One with  Windsor yeast. Clear surface, Sweeter, more rounded than S-33 brew, a little warming, not peppery.

Tomorrow the last one  - different yeast again- S-04

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Its been a long time since i used extract but im pretty sure for a 5 gallon batch youd use two of those 3.3 lb cans. So one can should be good for one lbk batch

Initially that's what I thought, esp since it's smaller than the Muntons (but Muntons extracts are for 6 gallons).  But, searching on the Breiss website, I found some recipes for making lager/pilsners and narrowed it to three choices.  Two of the choices required 6.6 lbs for 5 gallons (2 cans) and one called for 3.3 lbs (1 can) for 5 gallons.  Since my daughter is a fan of only the light beers like Coors and Budweiser, I thought I had better try to make the recipe calling for one can/5 gals (or 1/2 can for 2-1/2 gallons).  At least, that's my thinking so far.  I already know it's not going to be a beer my wife and I will care for, but I'm doing it for my daughter and her hubby.  I may add some malto-dextrin to give it some body but will otherwise follow the recipe, by half....??

What's the worse than can happen if I use 1/2 of the Breiss can?  Ultra Light beer?  My daughter would probably think it was perfect.  lol  🤯

3 hours ago, Mic-S said:

What's the worse than can happen if I use 1/2 of the Breiss can?  Ultra Light beer?  My daughter would probably think it was perfect.  lol  🤯

Plug it into QBrew and see what you'll get.

• Like 1

AHBA Big Brew day - any other participant events?
Will make Lemon Drop Saison at Old Bust Head Brewery in Vint Hill, VA.

Lemon drop etc Saison.
Steep 4 oz Flaked wheat, with  4 oz Vienna Malt Grain. 4 oz Pils malt crushed. 30 min at 165. Strain and rinse. 
Boil 0.5oz Lemon Drop   hops in bag 10 min in grain liquor wort. Remove hop bag to fermenter.

Make liquid up to ~ 4 cups then dissolve 1 pack Mr B Golden LME and 6 oz booster 
Bring to boil  and add 0.5 oz Lemon Drop hops in bag, let sit a couple mins to sterilize  then take off heat & move hops to fermenter.
Dissolve Czech Pils HME on hot wort, . Add to cold water in LBK, top up to line.
ferment with Belle Saison 
dry hop with 0.5 oz Lemon Drop  for last 7 days.
Target ABV ~  4.8%  IBUs 27 (from HME) + 10 from late hop boil --> 37 IBUs
Original recipe uses total 1oz hop bittering 4 oz late and dry in 5 gal. So this may be a little more bitter.
Last brew  I was cautious on hops so used only 1 oz rather than the 2. (scaled) It was good but more is OK, but still cautious so only using 1.5 not 5 (scaled).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This Saturday, our homebrew club will be brewing a SMASH using Marris Otter and US-05. Our club sponsor, Municipal Brew Works in Hamilton, OH will be providing the wort and bittering hops. Club members will be responsible for selecting a hop for flavor and aroma. I'm using East Kent Golding. I don't yet know any specifics about the wort or bittering hops. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

AHBA Big Brew day - any other participant events?
Will make Lemon Drop Saison at Old Bust Head Brewery in Vint Hill, VA.

Lemon drop etc Saison.
Steep 4 oz Flaked wheat, with  4 oz Vienna Malt Grain. 4 oz Pils malt crushed. 30 min at 165. Strain and rinse. 
Boil 0.5oz Lemon Drop   hops in bag 10 min in grain liquor wort. Remove hop bag to fermenter.

Make liquid up to ~ 4 cups then dissolve 1 pack Mr B Golden LME and 6 oz booster 
Bring to boil  and add 0.5 oz Lemon Drop hops in bag, let sit a couple mins to sterilize  then take off heat & move hops to fermenter.
Dissolve Czech Pils HME on hot wort, . Add to cold water in LBK, top up to line.
ferment with Belle Saison 
dry hop with 0.5 oz Lemon Drop  for last 7 days.
Target ABV ~  4.8%  IBUs 27 (from HME) + 10 from late hop boil --> 37 IBUs
Original recipe uses total 1oz hop bittering 4 oz late and dry in 5 gal. So this may be a little more bitter.
Last brew  I was cautious on hops so used only 1 oz rather than the 2. (scaled) It was good but more is OK, but still cautious so only using 1.5 not 5 (scaled).

Thanks for that recipe. I would like to clarify with these questions:

- How much water are you starting with (at point of steeping)?

- When you say "Make liquid up to 4 cups", does that mean that after steeping and boiling the first .5oz of hops (and removing both), add water to bring the wort volume back up to 4 cups so then you add LME, booster, and boil the second hops?

I know maybe they're dumb questions, but I'm going to add that recipe to my "Recipes.doc" and I just want it to be clear for the day I might brew it.

Thank you

7 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Thanks for that recipe. I would like to clarify with these questions:

- How much water are you starting with (at point of steeping)?

- When you say "Make liquid up to 4 cups", does that mean that after steeping and boiling the first .5oz of hops (and removing both), add water to bring the wort volume back up to 4 cups so then you add LME, booster, and boil the second hops?

I know maybe they're dumb questions, but I'm going to add that recipe to my "Recipes.doc" and I just want it to be clear for the day I might brew it.

Thank you

I edited the recipe above, but there are a lot of options that will work.

Water for steep? - enough to just cover the bag. I heat water to 170 in my kettle and pour it over the bag. It cools to about 155. Then I keep it covered over the "warming" burner on the stove and check temp every so often and swish the liquid around.

Make liquid up? I have a mental mark on my pot that I boil and dissolve extracts in so I top it up to there from my kettle. I wrote that incorrectly,  I usually  make it up to 4 cups before I boil the hops to make sure it does not boil dry. you will also get more hoppiness that way. somewhere about 4-6 cups is OK, does not have to be exact. Malts will dissolve and pour easier if in more water, but the wort in LBK will be a little hotter when you add it so you should check before pitching yeast.

The boiling of 2nd hops is just to sterilize so not important how much water. You could actually do that before adding the malts if you wanted, But you do not want it in there while dissolving, hop bags get in the way of stirring.

I hope you like it when you make it. This is a recipe I converted from an All Grain one in my LHBS.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:49 AM, Fire Rooster said:

will also try that cryo whirlpool at 120. 

@Fire Rooster hey just an fyi, went to my LHBS to get my smash ingredients yesterday. talked with them about cryo hops. described that i want to whirlpool mosaic cryo hops. they said it will be hoppy if i don't 1/2 what the recipe calls for. told them i'm not scared, and they said throw the whole oz in at 175 deg for my 4 gal batch. did just that. we'll see how it turns out. i know it will be cold beer.

5 hours ago, Jdub said:

@Fire Rooster hey just an fyi, went to my LHBS to get my smash ingredients yesterday. talked with them about cryo hops. described that i want to whirlpool mosaic cryo hops. they said it will be hoppy if i don't 1/2 what the recipe calls for. told them i'm not scared, and they said throw the whole oz in at 175 deg for my 4 gal batch. did just that. we'll see how it turns out. i know it will be cold beer.

Thanks , I know that you would use 1/2 the amount of cryo vs pellet.

The cryo hops are much more expensive, but not if you factor that you use 1/2.

I think 175 degrees whirlpool was for pellet, and 120 was for cryo.

• Like 1

experimenting is what it's all about! will dry hop 1/2 oz in a week or 2. next batch, may try whirlpool at 120. will see if big difference.

• Like 2

Today I brewed my 20th batch of beer since I started brewing last September, if I remember rightly. 

It was another total experimental concoction which included my first use of chocolate.  Unsweetened baker's chocolate, 1 ounce flaked with a knife and added to the wort of 3.3 lbs Briess Traditional Dark extract, 1 full lb of Briess Dark DME and 4 ounces of malto dextrin to counter any loss of 'mouth feel' from the chocolate.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  1.067 IG, tastes like a chocolate milkshake.  The sweetness should go away after complete fermentation.  Oh, and I will add 1.5 oz of espresso (made in my French press) to each 25 oz bottle at charging time.  I'll call it 'Mic's Chocolate Espresso Stout'.   

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:15 AM, Jdub said:

experimenting is what it's all about! will dry hop 1/2 oz in a week or 2. next batch, may try whirlpool at 120. will see if big difference.

Experimenting is what I have been all about since starting this hobby and I love doing it.  20 batches of beer and 18 were total experiments.  None have been bad or undrinkable, some remarkably good for a novice who doesn't know what the heck he's doing half the time.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2019 at 11:38 PM, Mic-S said:

Today I brewed my 20th batch of beer since I started brewing last September, if I remember rightly. 

It was another total experimental concoction which included my first use of chocolate.  Unsweetened baker's chocolate, 1 ounce flaked with a knife and added to the wort of 3.3 lbs Briess Traditional Dark extract, 1 full lb of Briess Dark DME and 4 ounces of malto dextrin to counter any loss of 'mouth feel' from the chocolate.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  1.067 IG, tastes like a chocolate milkshake.  The sweetness should go away after complete fermentation.  Oh, and I will add 1.5 oz of espresso (made in my French press) to each 25 oz bottle at charging time.  I'll call it 'Mic's Chocolate Espresso Stout'.   

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cocoa-powder-nutrition-benefits

Good beer and dark chocolate are also enjoyed.

I enjoy beer before dinner and during,  would be up alI-night having chocolate anything.

Speaking of cocoa, can't wait until this is released-

kkmc.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/cocoa-powder-nutrition-benefits

Good beer and dark chocolate are also enjoyed.

I enjoy good beer before dinner and during,  would be up alI-night having chocolate anything.

Speaking of cocoa, can't wait until this is released-

kkmc.jpg

I know I'd like these because my favorite Girl Scout cookie is the mint cookie.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:45 AM, Fire Rooster said:

@Fire Roosterdry hopped my 4 gallon smash today. only used 1/2 oz of the mosaic cryo pellets. recipe called for 1 oz. will keg in a week.

• Like 3

Next up will be a APA. I have my grist and water treatments set in Beersmith, but still adjusting my hops schedule.

Originally I was just going with Mosaic and Amarillo, but I'm thinking that could turn out too sweet and fruity without some counterpoint, so I'm going to add Simcoe into the hops schedule as well. IBU's will be about 50. SRM 9.5 and ABV 5.5-6%.

My batch will be 4.75 gal full volume BIAB. That's about the most I can do in my 7.5 gal kettle without having to deal with top off water calculations.

My grist will be Maris Otter, Munich, Vienna, Crystal 40, and Wheat. Hops will be a 60, 30, 10, and flameout additions with no dry hop. Yeast US-05

• Like 5

Next up for me is...

White Sail Pale Ale

Mrs. O’Leary’s Cream Ale

Roke IPA

Day After Day IPA

• Like 4

20 hours ago, youdontknowme311 said:

Next up for me is...

White Sail Pale Ale

Mrs. O’Leary’s Cream Ale

Roke IPA

Day After Day IPA

I'm looking forward to brewing my first 1-Gallon recipe this week, probably the Big Check Red Porter.  It will also be the first time fermenting in glass.

• Like 4

My tentative schedule:

-  WDA Enhanced (again)
-  Witch's Flight (again)
-  AuFlanders Belgian Extra Pale Ale.  This will be my version of Briess's Belgian EPA recipe, with minor changes to the hops and mash bill.  It'll be the first brew I will have done that includes no HME.  I'm looking forward to it.
-  Day After Day IPA
-  Egocentric Jerk Ale
-  Black Beer'd Porter (again).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Shrike said:

My tentative schedule:

-  WDA Enhanced (again)
-  Witch's Flight (again)
-  AuFlanders Belgian Extra Pale Ale.  This will be my version of Briess's Belgian EPA recipe, with minor changes to the hops and mash bill.  It'll be the first brew I will have done that includes no HME.  I'm looking forward to it.
-  Day After Day IPA
-  Egocentric Jerk Ale
-  Black Beer'd Porter (again).

I hear a door opening. :)

• Haha 3