Mr.Beer Community
MrWhy

Upcoming Brewing Schedule

I was thinking to myself today "cant you sneak in a brew day during the week?  I mean the pipeline is awfully low".  So I said, Self, that's a damn good idea.  Went home, drew up a recipe fpr a simple 5 gallon BIAB.  Prepare tomorrow, Brew on Wednesday.  Well, then my phone buzzed and an event was added to the family calendar.  Apparently my wife will be with my sister tomorrow night, kids will be at my parents so of course Ill be brewing tomorrow.  

Salts are measured, kettle is clean, grains are milled, should be set.  Oh hell yeah!!!

Porter.JPG

• Like 4

just crushed 11 lbs of grain for my "Texas Sunset Pale Ale". brewing in the morning. Using Centennial for bittering.  Eukanot, simcoe and loral Cryo hops for low temp whirlpooling and dry hopping. US-05. should be good.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jdub said:

just crushed 11 lbs of grain for my "Texas Sunset Pale Ale". brewing in the morning. Using Centennial for bittering.  Eukanot, simcoe and loral Cryo hops for low temp whirlpooling and dry hopping. US-05. should be good.

You brewing that today?

24 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

You brewing that today?

yes, am going to get started after i have a little coffee!

• Like 1

Ordered all the ingredients for this. Itll be the first wort my counterflow chiller sees. As soon as the conical opens up, this is going in. Its a Schells firebrick clone. I previously told @Bonsai & Brew i wasnt the biggest fan of that beer, but a guy should get through at least half of his sixer before he opens his big mouth. Im really liking the firebrick / nordeast combo. Start with a nordeast or two and then finish with a full flavored similar beer. One two punch 

4808A0C6-31C9-49CC-B641-A9A431D0ADDD.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ordered all the ingredients for this. Itll be the first wort my counterflow chiller sees. As soon as the conical opens up, this is going in. Its a Schells firebrick clone. I previously told @Bonsai & Brew i wasnt the biggest fan of that beer, but a guy should get through at least half of his sixer before he opens his big mouth. Im really liking the firebrick / nordeast combo. Start with a nordeast or two and then finish with a full flavored similar beer. One two punch 

Gotta love Schell's!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Where do you get your Munich 20L?

7 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Ritebrew has it. They dont have everything, but they had that. I had to sub liberty for mt hood for example. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I think Briess aromatic malt is 20L Munich

• Like 1

Saw on High Gravity's site that my new equipment was in shipping, so I figured I'd better come up with a recipe for its first run.

Should work out okay in my schedule as my Galaxy APA should bottle in the next 10 days.

I don't normally brew the same style back to back, but as much as I like APA's they are also my weakest style and just haven't felt like I really nailed one yet.

So I decided to copy a contest winners recipe off of the AHA site, and chose Big Boi's Booty Sweat. Lol, the name could have more appeal but the recipe looks to be really nice, but has a more involved hop schedule than I usually follow. Heck, that could be a big part of my problem IDK.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, Cato said:

Saw on High Gravity's site that my new equipment was in shipping, so I figured I'd better come up with a recipe for its first run.

Should work out okay in my schedule as my Galaxy APA should bottle in the next 10 days.

I don't normally brew the same style back to back, but as much as I like APA's they are also my weakest style and just haven't felt like I really nailed one yet.

So I decided to copy a contest winners recipe off of the AHA site, and chose Big Boi's Booty Sweat. Lol, the name could have more appeal but the recipe looks to be really nice, but has a more involved hop schedule than I usually follow. Heck, that could be a big part of my problem IDK.

Where are you getting those exotic ingredients like idaho 7 and vics secret? 

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Northern Brewer. It's been bought back from AB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

saw both of those hops at my LHBS today

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cato said:

Northern Brewer. It's been bought back from AB.

Dayum! Just ordered the exotic hops, the cryo hops, and warrior. Good thing I already had plenty of Mosaic and Citra, as the 5 hops probably cost me as much or more than what I would spend total for a batch.

However, if I do my part it could be a great PA, and I might learn how to better produce one, so I'm all in.

I'm just shooting to net 4 gal to bottle because I wouldn't be able to drink more than that before serious hop fade occured.

I'm becoming more used to adding acidulated malt in place of my phosphoric acid, to achieve my target ph.

Ive brewed quite a bit lately. 25 gallons in two weeks. But ones a lager and itll take awhile. Perhaps Ill do my old trick of a two day sour brew. I did pick up some gooseberries today for such an occasion. 

day 1- mash, bring up to 180, cool to 100, pitch lacto

day 2 or 3- boil, cool, pitch yeast. 

• Like 2

I revised mine due to new recipes:

-  Cinnamon Dulce Stout
-  Pecan Porter
-  Thunder Bay IPA
-  Hidden Lake Amber Ale
-  Solstice Sipper
----Transition to lagers depending on house temps---
-  Armstrong Dortmunder Export
-  Helles Bock

-  ChromosBeer
-  El Gordito enhanced
----Transition back to ales?---
-  A Galaxy Far IPA
-  Black Beer'd Porter
-  Crafty Bitch TBD

-  WDA TBD

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shrike said:

-  Cinnamon Dulce Stout
-  Pecan Porter
-  Thunder Bay IPA
-  Hidden Lake Amber Ale
-  Solstice Sipper
-  Helles Bock

-  ChromosBeer
-  El Gordito enhanced
-  A Galaxy Far IPA
-  Black Beer'd Porter
-  Crafty Bitch TBD

-  WDA TBD

Impressive!

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 4:46 PM, Shrike said:

-  Cinnamon Dulce Stout
-  Pecan Porter
-  Thunder Bay IPA
-  Hidden Lake Amber Ale
-  Solstice Sipper
-  Helles Bock

-  ChromosBeer
-  El Gordito enhanced
-  A Galaxy Far IPA
-  Black Beer'd Porter
-  Crafty Bitch TBD

-  WDA TBD

Well my queue consists of my next PA. However, I have fleshed out the recipe and have a name for it. BOOTY CALL. Heck I even have some label art to go with it. After that well I did buy some NZ hops called Rakau, so another PA at some point will feature those, and a name too. Rakau Rumble.

My queue for the moment.

61hJLrdf+sL._SS500_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Changed the name of my brew tomorrow from Booty Call to "Night Moves", after listening to Bob Seger's tune.

I'm pretty much going to brew on the new rig the way I have been, just to check out the whole system.

However, I think that to best take advantage of the features offered by the controller, I'm going to need to drill out the kettle lid and install a spray return, RIMS, so that I'll have a more consistent temp gradient throughout. What think you @Creeps McLane?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cato said:

Changed the name of my brew tomorrow from Booty Call to "Night Moves", after listening to Bob Seger's tune.

I'm pretty much going to brew on the new rig the way I have been, just to check out the whole system.

However, I think that to best take advantage of the features offered by the controller, I'm going to need to drill out the kettle lid and install a spray return, RIMS, so that I'll have a more consistent temp gradient throughout. What think you @Creeps McLane?

Well, with a rims, youll need another element. Keep in mind one heat source is for the mash and then youll need one for the boil. So if you just have one induction burner, youll need another element of some kind. I think im up to date on your set up, i dont recall another heat source. If you have the whirlpool port set up then you should be good with that as your return. If youre thinking about my problems with such a temp difference in the mash and wort around my basket, my problem is that my basket has a very find mesh. Its almost like a wall in there. But stirring frequently helps

youll be fine with just a biab set up and one burner. Youll just have to stir more often at worst. If youre using a brew bag then you should be covered. You dont have an element inside the kettle so you wont get scorching. 

id just give the new set up a few test runs and then youll know what it can and cant do. 

53 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Well, with a rims, youll need another element. Keep in mind one heat source is for the mash and then youll need one for the boil. So if you just have one induction burner, youll need another element of some kind. I think im up to date on your set up, i dont recall another heat source. If you have the whirlpool port set up then you should be good with that as your return. If youre thinking about my problems with such a temp difference in the mash and wort around my basket, my problem is that my basket has a very find mesh. Its almost like a wall in there. But stirring frequently helps

youll be fine with just a biab set up and one burner. Youll just have to stir more often at worst. If youre using a brew bag then you should be covered. You dont have an element inside the kettle so you wont get scorching. 

id just give the new set up a few test runs and then youll know what it can and cant do. 

Tomorrow I'll be brewing BIAB with an element inside the kettle, not using the induction burner. Once I hit mash temp I'll turn off the element add the bag, then the grains and dough in. I'll manually stir and add heat as needed, though now that I think about it I could clamp the whirlpool hose to the top of the kettle and create a recirculation. Then I could just set the controller at 25-30% power and should get a decent heat distribution throughout the mash.

20191101_165938.thumb.jpg.4b686335ba3cf46e0705f00cf08bc134.jpg

• Like 1

brewing on friday. got a recipe for a clone of lawson's ipa "sip of sunshine". anyone had it? I can't get it here in Tx. I believe that they are out of CT. Heard it is awesome, so of course I have to try it. have all the ingredients, which is a ton of hops. excited to brew again. brewing a 5.5 gallon batch.

• Like 1

Boy i tell you, this week... unexpected $800 car bill, my toilet is clogged, we got put on mandatory overtime, ITS WINTER ALL OF A SUDDEN. All these things dragging me down. But then the ups man shows up with an early xmas present from a friend and theres two beer kits in the box. Things are looking up

• Like 5

ok, so i have a Mr. Beer question for the group. I have a can of Bewitched Amber Ale that I would like to brew. I also have 1 lb of briess pilsen light dme, and 1 lb of dark dme. i have 2 mrb robust lme's and 1 pale lme. endless leftover hops in the freezer too. i could also go to the LHBS and get some grains if necessary. 

How should I brew this?

Edit: looking through the recipes, i'm thinking Hidden Lake Amber Ale? what else?

6 hours ago, Jdub said:

ok, so i have a Mr. Beer question for the group. I have a can of Bewitched Amber Ale that I would like to brew. I also have 1 lb of briess pilsen light dme, and 1 lb of dark dme. i have 2 mrb robust lme's and 1 pale lme. endless leftover hops in the freezer too. i could also go to the LHBS and get some grains if necessary. 

How should I brew this?

Edit: looking through the recipes, i'm thinking Hidden Lake Amber Ale? what else?

When crafting a recipe, I usually look at my inventory of yeast and work back from there.  Figure out the style and brew something you enjoy drinking.🍻

You've got a nice supply of fermentables there but I would save the robust LMEs for another brew.  Bewitched plays nicely into malty styles so you could definitely use up some of your light/pale extracts though.

It might be a good time to ask the Forum for everyone's favorite Bewitched Amber Ale recipe...

When in doubt, always partial-mash.

Here are some other ideas:

https://community.mrbeer.com/topic/36584-warlock-doppelbock/?tab=comments#comment-463879

http://support.mrbeer.com/support/solutions/articles/13000042781-heathers-scotch-ale-recipe-instructions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jdub said:

How should I brew this?

Hidden Lake is a tasty brew.

• Like 1

Pretty much fleshed out in BS, a Dusseldorf Alt which tends to be a bit more bitter than its Northern Grm cousin. I've done both styles and like them. Judges may or may not like me merging a bit of both styles in this recipe, but I don't care, this is for me, but I'll send it to my next comp and see how it fares.

After that I'm going back to my mini brewbucket and an LBK and brew my Witbier in the mini brew bucket and a Red Ale in the LBK. I've got pretty solid recipes for both in BS and will keep the tweaks to a minimum.

Those three brews should carry me until after the first of the year and then thinking of trying a Maibock.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shrike said:

Hidden Lake is a tasty brew.

i may go with that. i intended to brew it today, but work stuff was way too busy. this weekend?

• Like 1

ordered ingredients for a belgian chocolate stout. Briess recipe. i figure if it turns out great, i will give some to co-workers for New Years. If it's not worth a damn, i'll just drink it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was all packed up to brew at my niece's home this morning (that blueberry maple...I'll stop there with my description). Got a text, they've got the flu. Rescheduled. Maybe next weekend. 

• Sad 2

Next up yet another Pale Ale. "WiscoHop", which will be my winged version of Titletown Hopulation. My only clue is the hops they use. El Dorado, Mosaic, and Strata.

2 row, Munich, C40, and wheat. IBU shooting for 40 and ABV 5.7%. Might include a little bit of Briess aromatic malt, but still kicking that around.

I haven't been dry hopping that much and whirlpooling my aroma additions, and that's likely the way I'll go with this one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cato said:

Next up yet another Pale Ale. "WiscoHop", which will be my winged version of Titletown Hopulation. My only clue is the hops they use. El Dorado, Mosaic, and Strata.

2 row, Munich, C40, and wheat. IBU shooting for 40 and ABV 5.7%. Might include a little bit of Briess aromatic malt, but still kicking that around.

I haven't been dry hopping that much and whirlpooling my aroma additions, and that's likely the way I'll go with this one.

Oh man. First of all, hells yeah. But before you brew it, let me tell you a little about this beer. 

no wheat

no crystal

its clear as clear could be and also pretty pale. Maybe a slight crystal. Man I dont know. Man oh man. I could literally hop in my car and ask mr oldenburg for the recipe. I went to school with his brother mike who i could also shoot a message to... 

you ever had this beer before @Cato?

A1BED5D9-2F09-44FE-8331-FF000A57AF25.png

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Oh man. First of all, hells yeah. But before you brew it, let me tell you a little about this beer. 

no wheat

no crystal

its clear as clear could be and also pretty pale. Maybe a slight crystal. Man I dont know. Man oh man. I could literally hop in my car and ask mr oldenburg for the recipe. I went to school with his brother mike who i could also shoot a message to... 

you ever had this beer before @Cato?

A1BED5D9-2F09-44FE-8331-FF000A57AF25.png

Lol, no. In fact I mostly brew what I can't buy. If I could buy it I'd probably lose my motivation to brew it.

I just ordered all the grains for the second vienna lager fire brick clone. Last batch was may sweeter. I am using different yeast but i know its because of my mashing technique. I got er under control now, hopefully. Well see when i can sneak this beer in

• Like 4

have a Community Yessir Pale Ale clone ready to brew. all the grains, hops...etc. I love the beer, and it's seasonal, so I can't get it right now, so I e-mailed the brewmaster and he e-mailed me right back! gave me everything except for the most important part, the hop schedule. having to guess on that. oh well, i will make beer! wish i had time to brew right now. damn work!

• Like 4

I have the grains for a chocolate ale waiting, perhaps trying to squeeze in a brew day on Sunday. It's going to be a busy weekend, though. I first have to find time to transfer the oatmeal stout to the secondary because I want to dry bean some coffee. And I need the fermenter. 

• Like 4

Ordered some grains and yeast today after finalizing my recipe for "Wiscohops."

I ordered from MHBS this morning and they shipped this afternoon and will be delivered tomorrow afternoon!

@Creeps McLane I did drop the wheat from my recipe and tweaked the hops and SRM in BS a tad.

I know it's likely to be a bit or a lot different from "Hopulation", but that's okay. It'll still be a Pale Ale and a fun recipe.

• Like 4

@Creeps McLane, if "your location" is your home, several times I might have been only a couple blocks from you. Been 18 months since my last delivery to Appleton or picked up a load in Ashwaubenon or DePere, but damn.

4 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

@Creeps McLane, if "your location" is your home, several times I might have been only a couple blocks from you. Been 18 months since my last delivery to Appleton or picked up a load in Ashwaubenon or DePere, but damn.

De Pere (east)- where i live

Ashwaubenon- where the packers play

Appleton- where i get @Jdubs alpha king

thats my area! Dont go many other places. Good old Wisconsin 

• Like 1

Transferred the stout to the secondary and cleaned everything up. Built a compressor shelf for the kegerator, optimizing space for multiple kegs. Now I just need a manifold and another shank to add a tap. I don't know that I'll get to brewing the next batch this weekend. The equipment is available but time is at a premium. Too many damn social obligations. 

• Like 2