Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

Grains are LIVE!!!

Hey brewers, the grains are live and now available for purchase on the website!! The PM recipes will follow shortly. But for those of you with recipes already "brewing" in their minds, we've got you covered! (Obviously, due to the shipping cost vs grain cost, it's best to order these along with your full Mr. Beer order rather than buy them separately.)

Video to come soon!

http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/grains

Please let us know if you see any typos or mistakes. We do our best to proofread, but problems do slip past us from time to time. Cheers!

See our how-to guide on brewing PM recipes:

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Well that was fast! The Partial Mash Recipes are now live, too!!

http://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes/partial-mash-recipes

B)

Wow!  Impressive list of partial mashes.  Hey, I wish you had posted these during the free shipping weekend!  Or I missed them....

It might be my browser, but every link on the Printable Instructions button for the Partial Mash recipes takes me to the 1776 printable instructions.  Maybe y'all can double-check that.

http://www.mrbeer.com/media/mrb/90-15000-00%201776%20Ale.pdf

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K5WX said:

It might be my browser, but every link on the Printable Instructions button for the Partial Mash recipes takes me to the 1776 printable instructions.  Maybe y'all can double-check that.

http://www.mrbeer.com/media/mrb/90-15000-00%201776%20Ale.pdf

Yes, we are aware of this and are in the process of updating the printable instructions. Thanks for the heads up!

This is awsome. Gonna have to try some of these. Jus tmoved to partial mash for 5 gallon batches. This is gonna be exciting. 

For anyone who is a bit hesitant  in trying it. Take the risk its worth it. And its worth the price 

If grains are live, doesn't use them hurt them?  You better watch out for Nancy LeBruce, President of PAHG (People Against Hurting Grains).  I hear she gets real nasty when she learns of companies milling grains.  

• Like 3

Editor note, please review your deg F to deg C translations. Grass Cutter Lager e.g.

Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 50° and 60° F (20°-25° C)

According to my math, 50-60 F would be 10-15 deg C. and maybe a little cold for the Mr B Ale yeast?

Of course maybe Mr Beer has a "special" thermometer for this trick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Editor note, please review your deg F to deg C translations. Grass Cutter Lager e.g.

Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 50° and 60° F (20°-25° C)

According to my math, 50-60 F would be 10-15 deg C. and maybe a little cold for the Mr B Ale yeast?

Thanks for the input! I will be sure this is corrected. Originally it was going to use a lager yeast, but we decided to make it more accessible to people without the ability to make lagers. We will fix the temperatures to reflect the ale yeast recommendations.

6 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks for the input! I will be sure this is corrected.

Well, careful, you have to make your minds if you really want it to be a lager or not.

Lower temp and change yeast or higher temps and Mr B yeast. I can see someone thought - "OH - lager, right, low temp" and edited that part only.

If you want it cleaner and less estery for the ale yeast though, 20-25 C (68-77 F) is too hot.  Maybe 65-70 F would better.

BTW, there is another PM recipe called "Naughty Cream Ale" that we will release as soon as the Nottingham yeast is back in stock.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

BTW, there is another PM recipe called "Naughty Cream Ale" that we will release as soon as the Nottingham yeast is back in stock.

I was really looking forward to that one! Is there anything online that lists the other ingredients so I could potentially put an order together sooner? I can probably pick up the Notty at my LHBS (I like to patronize them every now and then too). If not, do you have an ETA on the Notty being back in your inventory?

Thanks much!

OK, So you have all these grains available. And you have all these refills, and recipes.

Customers need some easy guidance to experiment.

How about........

You go down each of the refills and recipes and for each one add an optional PM grain, yeast and (and hop if it has no extras and is appropriate for the style) add enhancement suggestion. Not a thing you need to package, but just a suggestion to let customer's decide if they want to get a few grains or hops to enhance the recipe further. You do not need to name recipes or anything as they will not be a "product" (of course you could but this is much more work). And you do not need to include them in anything except generic instructions. I.E. If specialty (I will call them "Character") grains are used, steep them before adding HME. If "Character Hops" are added, put in at end of boil in a bag.

Not only will this potentially add sales, but potentially make better beer too with nothing other than a bit of text editing. Your customers do the work adding the items to the order. 

You can list them as a suggestion following the "This product includes"  item list in the product description  i.e. "We suggest these optional icharacter items: " and in the recipe page include them below the "You supply" items.

So for example

CAL

Standard Refill or Refill + Booster

• Optional suggested Character Grains - 2 oz  2 row malt, 2 oz flaked corn - (steeped 20 min before adding HME)
  • Optional suggested Character Hops - 0.5 oz Cascade or Centennial hop  - (added in bag at end of boil)
  • Optional suggested Character Yeast - S-04 full packet (use instead of yeast under can lid)

Deluxe Refill

• Optional suggested Character Grains - 4 oz  2 row malt, 2 oz flaked corn - (steeped 20 min before adding HME)
  • Optional suggested Character Hops - 0.5 oz Cascade or Centennial hop - (added in bag at end of boil)
  • Optional suggested Character Yeast - S-04 full packet (use instead of yeast under can lid)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

OK, So you have all these grains available. And you have all these refills, and recipes.

Customers need some easy guidance to experiment.

How about........

You go down each of the refills and recipes and for each one add an optional PM grain, yeast and (and hop if it has no extras and is appropriate for the style) add enhancement suggestion. Not a thing you need to package, but just a suggestion to let customer's decide if they want to get a few grains or hops to enhance the recipe further. You do not need to name recipes or anything as they will not be a "product" (of course you could but this is much more work). And you do not need to include them in anything except generic instructions. I.E. If specialty (I will call them "Character") grains are used, steep them before adding HME. If "Character Hops" are added, put in at end of boil in a bag.

Not only will this potentially add sales, but potentially make better beer too with nothing other than a bit of text editing. Your customers do the work adding the items to the order. 

You can list them as a suggestion following the "This product includes"  item list in the product description  i.e. "We suggest these optional icharacter items: " and in the recipe page include them below the "You supply" items.

So for example

CAL

Standard Refill or Refill + Booster

• Optional suggested Character Grains - 2 oz  2 row malt, 2 oz flaked corn - (steeped 20 min before adding HME)
  • Optional suggested Character Hops - 0.5 oz Cascade or Centennial hop  - (added in bag at end of boil)

Deluxe Refill

• Optional suggested Character Grains - 4 oz  2 row malt, 2 oz flaked corn - (steeped 20 min before adding HME)
  • Optional suggested Character Hops - 0.5 oz Cascade or Centennial hop - (added in bag at end of boil)

I really like this suggestion. I've gone into my LHBS and when I ask for suggestions I typically get well it depends on what's in the extract and they act like they've never heard of Mr Beer

We're already working on a system like this. But this stuff doesn't just happen overnight, especially when we have higher priorities at the moment. But trust me when I say this is already being reviewed. ;)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

We're already working on a system like this. But this stuff doesn't just happen overnight, especially when we have higher priorities at the moment. But trust me when I say this is already being reviewed. ;)

So maybe by Monday then?B)

• Like 2