Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rickrd

Question with hop bags.

Hi.

I'm ready to try a more elaborate brew. Well, for me anyway.

I'm going to use 3 hop pellets in Muslin bags. The bittering hops go in when the pot begins to boil with my malt. After 50 mins I'm to add the Flavoring hops, then after 58 mins I'm to add the finishing hops. total time of boil is 1 hour. Then remove from heat and begin cool down in an ice bath.

My question is this. After the boil, do I remove all the hop muslin bags right away? or do I let them steep until my wort comes down to 75-80 F?

Thanks in advance

Rick the Newbee

• Like 1

Keep them in the whole time and then CAREFULLY dump them into your LBK.  If you're uncomfortable with dumping them in then remove them with sanitized tongs and drop them into the LBK one at a time.  Hope that helps. :)

• Like 2

if you wish to stick close to projected IBUs the as soon as the boil is over.  FWIW I have found nylon hop sacks let less hop goo through when I squeeze the bag.

• Like 1

I've been suspending an open hop bag from a chopstick stuck through the handle of the pot. Keeps the business end in the wort and allows for later additions. I tie it up once the last addition is in. One bag will hold a couple of ounces of pellets and might hold 3. Lot's of different methods for introducing hop aroma at the end. At least leave until the wort cools. Leaving the bag during fermentation isn't a problem.

PS... most yeasts will like pitching at less than 75 degrees. the Fermatis stuff will pitch and start nicely at 68-72. Maybe you're working on a wit and you want lots of banana from the high-temp esters, though.

• Like 2

Except for dry hopping, the hops have done their work during the boil and need not be added to the fermenter. This differs from hops in Mr. Beer recipes.

• Like 2

thanks guys. I'm a nervous wreck.... LOL. I think its more excitement though, seriously... that and I don't want to screw it up.

Anyway. the directions I'm following say the following..

"After 60 min of boiling, turn off heat. Put lid on your pot and cool it in an ice bath for about 30 minutes. Remove the hop bags from the kettle."

Just wondering if that means to keep them in for 30 minutes or take them out before cooling. My thinking is that since it says remove bags from the kettle in the last sentence, it means wait 30 mins to remove.

8 hours ago, rickrd said:

thanks guys. I'm a nervous wreck.... LOL. I think its more excitement though, seriously... that and I don't want to screw it up.

Anyway. the directions I'm following say the following..

"After 60 min of boiling, turn off heat. Put lid on your pot and cool it in an ice bath for about 30 minutes. Remove the hop bags from the kettle."

Just wondering if that means to keep them in for 30 minutes or take them out before cooling. My thinking is that since it says remove bags from the kettle in the last sentence, it means wait 30 mins to remove.

If that's what the directions say, than I think you're right about leaving them in for 30mins then remove.  Ha...  those are a bit confusing though.  

• Like 1

Thanks! I didn't go the full 30, maybe 15 mins. Was a tough decision but here's some advise to other newbies, Read the instructions 5 or 6 times. Note your questions and call the Brew supply house before they close and you start brewing. Ha Ha. I will call today and find out what they meant.

Again, I see no ambiquity here.  You leave them in for the cooling cycle.  Time is not of issue here - if you can cool to the proper pitching temp in 15 minutes instead of 30, that's fine. 

Since this is posted on the New Brewer and FAQs section of the forum, I want to make some distinctions.

The OP is NOT brewing a Mr. Beer batch.  Mr. Beer batches, when made following the directions, do NOT need to be cooled.

When one uses a Mr. Beer fermenter but brews non-Mr. Beer batches, OFTEN you still put a gallon of cold water in the fermenter, add wort, then top off.  I do that when I make a 5 gallon batch split between two LBKs.  What matters is the FINAL temp you end up with in the fermenter before pitching your yeast.  IF you're going to have a gallon of refrigerated water in the fermenter, add hot wort, then top off, that is VERY DIFFERENT than pitching just the wort.

It's a simple math exercise.  Let's take the easy one first.

Pitching wort into an empty fermenter means you have to cool the wort to pitching temp before pouring it into the fermenter.  For many yeasts that's in the 70s.  Many go lower into the 60s.

Pitching wort into a fermenter already filled with some cold water is also easy to figure out.

1gal x 37 degrees (initial 1 gallon) plus __ gallon x ___ degrees (wort from pot) plus ___ gallons x 37 degrees (top off water) = temp of wort before pitching

Since in this case I'm putting 2.5 gallons in, you have to pro-rate each component:

Assuming a gallon of 100 degree wort, plus another 1/2 gallon of 37 degree water, 

1 x 37 x (1/2.5)   + 1 x 100 x(1/2.5)   + .5 x 37 (.5/2.5) = temp of wort

1 x 37 x 0.4    + 1 x 100 x 0.4    + .5 x 37 x 0.2 = temp of wort

14.8 + 40 + 3.7 = 58.5

You can adjust the refrigerated water temp to what yours is of course.  If it was 40, then I'd be at 60.  

• Like 3

@RickBeer - nice worked example - have not dealt with this since high school - lol - then they complicated it by mixing different liquids not just water as in this case.

• Like 1

Great Example @RickBeer. That is exactly how I loaded my Fermenter for 5 gallon batch. 1 gal of cold water, then added Wort which was about 80F, then topped off with more cold water to 5 gallons. Then aerated the batch with a sanitized SS spoon. Sticky Temp label on bucket read 62F. I was a little nervous that I was going to pitch yeast at 62F but read in here that as long as I was below 80F I should be fine. Your comment of it being in the low 60's offered me more relief.

Batch is sitting in a nice 70F environment now and after 12 hours, some nice bubbles in the Airlock are occurring. About every 40 secs if that means anything.

I should probably be posting this in another topic. funny how the original topics can morph.

• Like 1

I called my local brew supply and talked it over. The correct way was what we though, let the hop bags steep during cool down, for about 30 mins. I went 10-15 minutes during cool time. The store clerk said it wouldn't affect too much in the long run, especially since I somewhat squeezed the juices out a bit with the sanitized tongs.

In the meantime, i'm quite happy with the fermentation, getting some great action in the vessel.

Just to be clear, you're not brewing a Mr. Beer refill/recipe, and you're not using a Mr. Beer fermenter?  And you're on a Mr. Beer forum asking questions?  Just wondering...

Well, to be honest I've started with Mr. Beer and came on here reading during those batches. This is my 5th batch and I went bigger to 5 gallon bucket. So yes, not using Mr. Beer for this effort. Just used to the good info I get here. I plan to continue to use LBK for my 2.5 gal batches to try different beers.

• Like 1