Mr.Beer Community

Hello, I am a new brewer and very excited to get started. My first batch is just about done fermenting. Probably about 2-3 days left in the Keg fermenter. I have a basic Mr Beer 2 gallon keg fermenter, and this batch is the American light. I tasted a sip and it has just a little hint of sweetness, but tastes good! So just a little time to go! I also have a 2nd batch I just made 2 days ago, Czech Pilsner with the same kit in a 2nd fermenter. So if bottling with mason jars works well I will try again.

-To carbonate the beer I want to use 1QT Mason Jars. I am going to add 3 Coopers Carbonation-Drops to each jar. These use a screw on lid, and they are reusable, and glass.

-So is this acceptable for carbonating?

-How long does it take to carbonate 1QT jars?

Thank you

mason jars only become air tight when sealed under heat ala canning. Assuming you don't overcarbonate and have a jar explode in all directions,  you will likely have co2 leaking under the lid.  Only use something that was meant to hold contents under pressure.. like a beer bottle.  Ive never seen anything carbonated packed in a mason jar.. probably for a good reason. (but then I don't get out much so..)

• Like 2

to answer the other question, carbonation time depends on yeast viability, amount of sugar, room temperature, yeast cells per volume etc.

ive seen yeast firm up a plastic bottle to rock hard in a couple days at 70f.. and other batches take 3 full weeks.  yeast are living critters so your results vary.

• Like 1

1st Welcome to the forums.  From what I've read Bubbles, doing this is a bad idea.  As zorak said, they are likely to explode, especially if they are airtight.  I've seen a few people asking about carbonating in growlers and this was met with an overwhelming NO because of the possibility of an explosion.  

Really bad idea.  Really bad.  Do not do this.  If it did not have carbonated beverages in it before, don't use it.

And make sure you follow 3-4.  "Maybe 2 or 3 days left" says you are not...

• Like 2

DON'T use mason jars. Even some heavy growlers might work, but canning jars are way too thin.

It's really easy to bottle beer...you do have have access to a capper, but it's not a big investment and if you can find any other homebrewers in your area, you could probably borrow a capper. You can find an unlimited supply of non-twist-off beer bottles if you're willing to do a little scrounging.

Or just pop for the PET bottles and be done with it.

Welcome!

I think people have carbonated/conditioned with plastic soda liter bottles too.

Thank you so much everybody. I will just use the plastic Mr Beer Bottles it cam with. I will return the Mason Jars to Walmart and get actual beer bottles.

Great community here in this forum, Thanks!

• Like 2

speaking of using plastic soda bottles,when I purchased my Mr. Beer 6g fermenters,they came with 2 liter clear plastic bottles.That was probably in 1996ish.

• Like 1

I just picked up 4 plus cases of 12oz brown glass bottles (already cleaned BTW) off of craigslist for free,another member got cases off of Craigslist for 4 dollars a case ,all you gotta do is look for em you will find a good deal mabey even free, my first 3 brews are in the Mr beer 750ml bottles which are fine and fairly priced.

• Like 1

Buy some bottles with beer in them. When you are done drinking the free beer that came with the bottles, use the bottles for the beer you made. Just make sure they are not twist off.

• Like 3

How about Wine bottles anyone?

I drink a lot of that cheap Oakleaf stuff from walmart and have a few extra. It has a cork.

If you refer back to the earlier answers, if a bottle has not held a carbonated beverage, you should not be carbonating beer in it.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2016 at 7:52 AM, J A said:

DON'T use mason jars. Even some heavy growlers might work, but canning jars are way too thin.

It's really easy to bottle beer...you do have have access to a capper, but it's not a big investment and if you can find any other homebrewers in your area, you could probably borrow a capper. You can find an unlimited supply of non-twist-off beer bottles if you're willing to do a little scrounging.

Or just pop for the PET bottles and be done with it.

Growlers are also a bad idea. They are not intended for that level of carbonation. When you fill a growler with tap beer it loses some of its CO2.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:39 AM, BrianBrew said:

Buy some bottles with beer in them. When you are done drinking the free beer that came with the bottles, use the bottles for the beer you made. Just make sure they are not twist off.

all my friends give their empty beer bottles to me, I soak em in the mr. sanitizer with very hot water, clean them and let them set longer so the labels fall off easily, I no longer give out beer in my flip tops, bcuz no one returns them, so I give them the regular 12 oz. bottles that they can toss

• Like 1