Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bubbles

Purified Vs. Distilled Vs. Spring water?

Which water do you use in your brew, and does the type of bottled water make a big difference in your brew?

I dont use tap in my brew becasue I wouldn't drink tap water anyways...

Thank you

I've only used Ozarka Spring Water.  Will start brew number 13 tonight.....Belgian Blanc!  I bottled some Powerful Patriots Ale last night.  Good sample taste.  Should be even better in 4 weeks or more.....

If your water tastes good. It is fine to brew with. I used spring water when I first started brewing. After the first few batches I switched to tap water and have noticed absolutely no difference in the quality of my beer.

• Like 1

Our well water is not very good so I buy spring water at WalMart. @ $.89 per gallon it's just not worth using iffy tap water.

well vs. tap vs. spring...   whatever your preference.  just do not use distilled - which is stripped of minerals.  

• Like 2

Hi all. I'm getting ready to use an old Mr Beer starter kit that was given to me as a gift years ago, but never used. So I've never brewed anything (see username).

Anyway, that's a different thread. For this thread, I used to run Water Departments in my home state, and when I saw this thread I thought, "Wow right up my alley!"

For the most part water systems have to live within certain ranges when it comes to chemicals. Chlorine is kept at 4ppm or less, typically. Unless you have some very odd circumstances such as what's happening in Flint Michigan right now, the odds of having above normal chlorine are very low. Many times, too low of a chlorine count can actually smell like there's too much. This usually occurs whan the count is lower than 1ppm. It is really more apparent than too much chlorine. In order to get the same odor with too much, the local utility would've had to lost their minds!

None of that is to say that there aren't times when it's needed, such as shocking a system after repairing a water main break, but the water system will let you know to boil your water.

So, brew away and don't worry about it! Now then, you'll be seeing me post stupid questions here on the forum as I try to get up to speed. Please be kind!

• Like 2