Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jacollins85

STILL FERMENTING!

MY basic hard cider mix is still fermenting its been 3 weeks! there is a lot of sediment and movement in the fermentor and thick cover krausen. But 3 weeks!? Could it be an infection?

Not an authority, but it seems to me that if you've got krausen, I'm pretty sure you've probably got yeast. I don't think you'd miss bacterial/mold infection that was causing  active movement in the wort...it would probably stink to high heaven.

Just guessing, but high OG and slow yeast/low temps would give you a long ferment. I've had a Kolsch in a high-50's fridge for 2 weeks and it's just starting to break krausen.

1 hour ago, J A said:

Not an authority, but it seems to me that if you've got krausen, I'm pretty sure you've probably got yeast. I don't think you'd miss bacterial/mold infection that was causing  active movement in the wort...it would probably stink to high heaven.

Just guessing, but high OG and slow yeast/low temps would give you a long ferment. I've had a Kolsch in a high-50's fridge for 2 weeks and it's just starting to break krausen.

It got strong bubbles, and very fast at that. =) shined a light threw it