Mr.Beer Community
Hoppytobrew

Home Grown Beer Labels

1 hour ago, K5WX said:

Still working on these labels.  Left to right:  Powerful Patriot Ale, Baltic Porter, Sir Kenneth Blonde, and 1776 Ale.  

Not as sharp as Hoppytobrew's nice Alamo label.  Good job!

Texas Independence Day is coming up next week (March 2nd).  Big celebration day for us Texans....

DSCN2835.thumb.jpg.5bd1dafbd4f995c1ead39

I like them! How did you do the caps? I never thought of doing a cap design.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hoppytobrew said:

I'd like to see some of the creative beer labels you've all come up with. Since the fall of the Alamo was March 6, 1836, and since I'm from Texas, I came up with an "Alamo Commemorative Label" for my Aztec Mexican Cerveza which will be bottled on or around March 6th.

IMG_9175 copy.jpg

Very nice label but wow that's got to be a lot of work with all the cutting of the detail in the neck ring and curved top.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, brybry said:

Very nice label but wow that's got to be a lot of work with all the cutting of the detail in the neck ring and curved top.

I am a widower with children/grandchildren that all live out of state so I have time on my hands and I don't necessarily put a label on every bottle, just the ones that I will share with family and friends. It makes it look more professionally done which impresses them.

• Like 4

Call me cheap,but this is quick and easy and I don't have to scub lables off my bottles, just finished washing 5 cases of bottles with lables on them, it took hrs not doing that again anytime soon lol

IMG_20160229_182951.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bighead beer said:

Call me cheap,but this is quick and easy and I don't have to scub lables off my bottles, just finished washing 5 cases of bottles with lables on them, it took hrs not doing that again anytime soon lol

IMG_20160229_182951.jpg

That works too!

on stickeryou.com u can design custom labels any design, and many shapes, even make em the caps too!, I occasionally get sum bcuz I like the fact they're removeable and re useable too!!!

• Like 1

i bought some labels online - I think I won't repeat that.  They have a glue that is touch and go to get off...  and the use of my ink jet printer results in the labels running when wet.  The cost of the labels is not worth it in the end.  I believe I'll give @RickBeer's method a go, and print on paper, then glue stick the labels.  I can still get some decent design aspects that way, with easier removal.  We'll see how the process of gluing and cutting goes...   

for the design, I used beerlabelizer.com - handful of premade labels that I make, download and print.  $5 gave me access to all of them, and it'll last for the first few dozen times, then i'll have to (want to) expand options.  

here are a couple examples:  

AB milk stout.jpeg

Nilla Porter.jpeg

Barleys chocolate orange stout.jpeg

Baltic porter.jpeg

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, cowboykyle said:

i bought some labels online - I think I won't repeat that.  They have a glue that is touch and go to get off...  and the use of my ink jet printer results in the labels running when wet.  The cost of the labels is not worth it in the end.  I believe I'll give @RickBeer's method a go, and print on paper, then glue stick the labels.  I can still get some decent design aspects that way, with easier removal.  We'll see how the process of gluing and cutting goes...   

for the design, I used beerlabelizer.com - handful of premade labels that I make, download and print.  $5 gave me access to all of them, and it'll last for the first few dozen times, then i'll have to (want to) expand options.  

here are a couple examples:  

I'm lucky I can print my designs on a laser printer at work, on plain paper, that way the ink doesn't run when wet. You could probably do the same at a local Staples or Office Max for less than a buck a sheet.

And then I use a kids glue stick to affix them. It won't hold up to soaking the beers in a bucket of ice water but hey do clean off real nice with just a quick soak in warm water.

Now I need to check out that beerlabelizer for the designs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brybry said:

I'm lucky I can print my designs on a laser printer at work, on plain paper, that way the ink doesn't run when wet.

yeah, the only color printers are work are ink... laser printers are all B&W.  ce la vie... 

this is the label I made for the hacked root beer, for my friends daughters confirmation party ,, he's Jewish she's catholic ,,they will be enjoying this on sunday....:D

V__5FFA.png

• Like 9

this is the pic I'm gonna use for the dads favorite cream ale recipe... I think its perfect...:D.. printing them up now but the file wont load up here but ya'll get the jist of it...Might even be a whiskey bottle but when printed on label no one will know

dadsale5.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

this is the pic I'm gonna use for the dads favorite cream ale recipe... I think its perfect...:D.. printing them up now but the file wont load up here but ya'll get the jist of it...Might even be a whiskey bottle but when printed on label no one will know

dadsale5.jpg

This one will be GREAT! You've picked the perfect beer for that label too. :)

• Like 1

Is that Rosie Palmer? I met her! yeah, she's a handful alright! now her name is Roses Rambling Red

• Like 3

my first attempt beer labels really sucks, but I didn't have a printer, so I went in my back yard, pulled up some colorful flowers to grind down to make my ink, cut down a ten year old tree that had sum bad branches and with sum hard work made me some sheets of paper out of it, picked most the brush hairs out of an old paint brush and hand painted these labels! Whew! and I was able to do all that in one day!!!gallery_65635_31_1378848.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

my first attempt beer labels really sucks, but I didn't have a printer, so I went in my back yard, pulled up some colorful flowers to grind down to make my ink, cut down a ten year old tree that had sum bad branches and with sum hard work made me some sheets of paper out of it, picked most the brush hairs out of an old paint brush and hand painted these labels! Whew! and I was able to do all that in one day!!!gallery_65635_31_1378848.jpg

LOL! And you must'ave been smoking something along with those brews you were drinking! Love it!

• Like 1

i've been useing labels i got from staples AVERY i believe the name is and i think the product number was 22827.. bout 17 bucks or so and you get like 34 but they're removable and reuseable and for now ive just been stealing pics online and withe the avery online program just import it tweak it print,, i love the making beer part but coming up with groovy labels is also fun for me... just made a pumpkin beer on sat now teaking with the labels....

• Like 2

this is what I got so far...leaning towards the top one but kinda like the other one...

WP_20160320_002.jpg

WP_20160320_004.jpg

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

this is what I got so far...leaning towards the top one but kinda like the other one...

WP_20160320_002.jpg

WP_20160320_004.jpg

I like the first one too.

• Like 4

This is my generic label, (besides masking tape). If I brew something spectacular, I will make a better one. lol

scow.jpg.e8c0a9fddd06f2296601a4a83f9f68f

• Like 5

even though I drank most of my stout on st paddys day the ones I have left will get this label,, makes me laugh..............:lol:

WP_20160311_002.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

even though I drank most of my stout on st paddys day the ones I have left will get this label,, makes me laugh..............:lol:

WP_20160311_002.jpg

Wait!!!! that was me when I was constipated at the age of 1 1/2 years old!! where did you get that pic???

• Like 2

I recently purchased bottle caps really cheap that have designs on them, it seemed cheaper than trying to make my own or buyin labels to put on the caps

Anyone try these yet? Looks like they last for quite awhile if you don't need to change the label. There's a how-to video in the link. You can use regular paper and any kind of printer. Because of that you could just make a master sheet and use a copier for quantity. Will stand up to cooler ice and washing. At $10 for 70 they're worth it if you are going to reuse the bottle for the same brew.

450x450x41499-fastlabel-12oz-labels-1000 

But wait! There's more! 

When it comes time to remove them, it's easy. No scrubbing or soaking. They make 3 sizes.

I am not affiliated with them in any way.

http://www.fastbrewing.com/products/fastlabel

• Like 2

This thread got the juices flowing. I opened up an old program I haven't messed with in years and had to relearn it. Still a work in progress, but here's my draft for the Belgian Blanc. The moon is a photo I took when the Super Moon was here last fall.

Moon%20label_1.jpg

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

that is awesome......... making me have to get more creative lol

It was your labels that inspired me!

If you want to get into it without spending a ton of money, get a copy of Print Shop. Doesn't have to be the expensive one. There are all kinds of borders, backgrounds, and whatnot you can use. Also some decent photo editing software. I want to get it, I am using a knock off from someone else. Works ok, but photo editing stinks. it took forever to crop the moon and orange slice.

• Like 1

those are really cool looking, reminding me i gotta watch black sails lol   .._., i'm still trying to come up with one for my honey orange ale i'm bottling on saturday ,,..I'm definitely gonna try those fast labels ,,looks pretty simple definitely worth trying  ._

10 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

those are really cool looking, reminding me i gotta watch black sails lol   .._., i'm still trying to come up with one for my honey orange ale i'm bottling on saturday ,,..I'm definitely gonna try those fast labels ,,looks pretty simple definitely worth trying  ._

When I think honey I think bees, bears, flowers, honeycomb, beehive, a honeypot, Winnie the Pooh. When I think Orange I think...well...orange. Oranges, orange slice, orange wedge, orange tree. So, when you say a honey-orange ale, I see in my head an upset Winnie the Pooh with an empty 'Hunny' pot and a bunch of oranges. Here's a start, probably better ones out there if you dig a bit.

angrypoohjar.png 

• Like 2

the magazine I subscribe to called Brew Your Own, has a label design contest, I must have missed the info when I was reading it recently, but entry deadline is april 15th, I think?? anyway since some of you love doing this why not enter a contest to win something for your efforts!

• Like 1

got this as a rough draft then I got these pics from my backyard to play with as well..

WP_20160329_001.jpg

WP_20160323_013.jpg

WP_20160323_038.jpg

WP_20160323_029.jpg

• Like 2

Today is my first day being on here and I have laughed more in the past few hours than I have all week just reading what 

HoppySmile! Has had to say on the subject

• Like 2

On March 26, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Anyone try these yet? Looks like they last for quite awhile if you don't need to change the label. There's a how-to video in the link. You can use regular paper and any kind of printer. Because of that you could just make a master sheet and use a copier for quantity. Will stand up to cooler ice and washing. At $10 for 70 they're worth it if you are going to reuse the bottle for the same brew.

But wait! There's more! 

When it comes time to remove them, it's easy. No scrubbing or soaking. They make 3 sizes.

i cant find these anywhere near me or online,,,bummed wanted to try em..

1 minute ago, Stroomer420 said:

i cant find these anywhere near me or online,,,bummed wanted to try em..

I saw them today, or maybe something close to them at the LHBS.  It said reusable labels.  Is that them?

1 hour ago, GBear379 said:

Today is my first day being on here and I have laughed more in the past few hours than I have all week just reading what 

HoppySmile! Has had to say on the subject

For God's sake, don't feed the beast!

• Like 3

Great idea.

I bet commercial packaging uses this technique and it is versatile and cheap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

For God's sake, don't feed the beast!

Sorry hahaha

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Here's one I've been screwing with, just a weird idea.

dorothys%20best.jpg

I like it,, bet it'd go over well with the ladies too...?

yea that was straight up wanted to see how it was on its own... Made it again using the pumpkin rising recipe with a few tweaks.... And tasted yesterday it tasted just like pumpkin pie,,bottle that one next week...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

yea that was straight up wanted to see how it was on its own... Made it again using the pumpkin rising recipe with a few tweaks.... And tasted yesterday it tasted just like pumpkin pie,,bottle that one next week...

Sounds good. Most of the pumpkin beers I've tried start OK, but you're desensitized to the pumpkin halfway though the bottle and then it's just weird (or bad) beer. Let me know how well the bottle finishes.

I added the pumpkin after a week baked it in the oven to caramelize the pumpkin but instead of spreading it out i did it in small half dollar or so size then I added it in a muslin sack oh and before I baked it I mixed a little pumpkin pie spice.-let ya know in about six weeks...

WP_20160326_001.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

labels not great but beer was good

WP_20160312_009.jpg

...isn't that all that really matters, sir!?  ;)

• Like 1

...and by the looks of it Stroom, you're a beer squirrel in training!

body-build-squirrel.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

But wait! There's more! 

I just ordered these,, will let ya'll no how they work ,,thanx again for the links

• Like 1

another ruff draft, I need to buy ink..pic is from back yard Housatonic River

Scan.jpg

• Like 2

Those are nice labels. Maybe I have to get me a color printer. I have been holding off since we don't print color much.

• Like 1

I wanna say I spent no more then forty bucks on the printer I have .....walmart

12 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Those are nice labels. Maybe I have to get me a color printer. I have been holding off since we don't print color much.

Yeah, I used to have a color printer, the printers are cheap but the ink is expensive and does not last that long if it prints black using colored ink. If you can get one that uses black ink for black maybe that is better, but it annoyed me that all web pages seem to have some color onthem wasting my expensive color ink - lol. So I got a Laser all-in-one, print/color scan/copy/fax for $150 and the cartridge last all year. Very happy with it. Also all-in-one cuts down on real-estate and wiring.

6 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Save your ink. Put your design on thumb drive as a JPEG and take it to one of the office print places, like a Fed-ex store. They will print them out for you on whatever paper you like. The more you get on a single sheet the less it costs. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2016 at 7:16 AM, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

When I think honey I think bees, bears, flowers, honeycomb, beehive, a honeypot, Winnie the Pooh. When I think Orange I think...well...orange. Oranges, orange slice, orange wedge, orange tree. So, when you say a honey-orange ale, I see in my head an upset Winnie the Pooh with an empty 'Hunny' pot and a bunch of oranges. Here's a start, probably better ones out there if you dig a bit.

angrypoohjar.png 

I brewed my own recipe with an 8.0 ABV and I called it "Rabid Bee Nectar." On both sides of the label I placed an angry looking bee. I will have to post a picture of it soon. I've not tasted it yet because I'm allowing it to condition for at least eight weeks. I get most of my graphics off of a public domain clip art site.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2016 at 1:16 PM, Styx said:

Here's the first one. 

20160404_091310.jpg

Awesome labels! If the beer turns out as good as the labels you have nothing to worry about! Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

yea that's where I've been getting most of my pics as well,, gonna get me a cheap(if possible) PhotoShop program, then can have some real fun with these label...

23 minutes ago, Hoppytobrew said:

I brewed my own recipe with an 8.0 ABV and I called it "Rabid Bee Nectar." On both sides of the label I placed an angry looking bee. I will have to post a picture of it soon. I've not tasted it yet because I'm allowing it to condition for at least eight weeks. I get most of my graphics off of a public domain clip art site.

Searching for specific pictures or an idea can be a pain. So many of the pics are watermarked these days it can be tough to get what you're looking for. 

13 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

yea that's where I've been getting most of my life as well,, gonna get me a cheap(if possible) PhotoShop program, then can have some real fun with these label...

in the For What it's Worth department. SWMBO just pulled up office and used the label maker. Not that I put labels on but I could if I wanted to. However it does have limitations, i.e. can't do the neckless thing, or at least we haven't figured out how. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Searching for specific pictures or an idea can be a pain. So many of the pics are watermarked these days it can be tough to get what you're looking for. 

that's when I remembered paint program.. on my roses red label it was water marked and I zoomed in and matched the colors where the water mark was to blend it away pixel by pixel.... yes pain in the ass but what else do I have to do anyways its part of the hobby for me.. lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

yea that's where I've been getting most of my pics as well,, gonna get me a cheap(if possible) PhotoShop program, then can have some real fun with these label...

I use Gimp. Paint.Net and Photoscape. They are all free.

• Like 4

Here's a new one using a public domain stock photo from the web. This is probably going on my apple cider. Tried a couple of names like Bad Teacher and Teacher's Pet, but I liked the Van Halen reference. I had to download a couple of chalk style fonts. Kind of neat, there are a ton of them out there for free home use.

Hot%20for%20Teacher.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:06 PM, Stroomer420 said:

but what else do I have to do anyways its part of the hobby for me.. lol

Exactly! Screwing with labels is keeping me busy while I wait incessantly for this stupid beer. It'd help if it'd STOP FREAKING SNOWING so I can get outside.

• Like 1

at 2 months I didn't really care for it,, but its pretty good,,the heavy hop flavor faded some and is quite nice now ,,,to me....?

1 hour ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Here's a new one using a public domain stock photo from the web. This is probably going on my apple cider. Tried a couple of names like Bad Teacher and Teacher's Pet, but I liked the Van Halen reference. I had to download a couple of chalk style fonts. Kind of neat, there are a ton of them out there for free home use.

Hot%20for%20Teacher.jpg

As a teacher... I approve.  Haha... Here's another possibility.

diaz.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neverbrewedadarnthing said:

Yeah, tryin' not to put Cameron Diaz on my labels. I'm expecting women fold to drink them...

#H8ers  ;)

1 hour ago, Stroomer420 said:

and now were trying the chug-a-lug-er...

WP_20160409_011.jpg

WP_20160409_012.jpg

WP_20160409_013.jpg

Somehow you have to get the Doxies on the label, Stroom! 

• Like 1

latest versions... need to remake to reflect accurate ABVs...

large.570bb29b293fa_strawberrybasillabel.jpeglarge.570bb29a25ae3_stickywicketlabel.jpeglarge.570bb298e675c_santaritalabel.jpeg

pain in the butt to size that santa rita pic correctly.  as is, it's distorted, but hopefully the beer last longer than my annoyance!  

• Like 5

gonna put these on some bottles tomorrow.......got that fast label kit ,,, see how that works..:D

ppa1.jpg

10_no_dis_1461726398_3.5X3.0 (1).jpg

• Like 5