Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Huggie's Highlands Brewery

Want To Do A Bewitched Amber Ale variant

Hey Everyone,

I want your help or rather opinions/insight into a batch of Bewitched Amber Ale I want to brew.  I want to use an 11g Danstar Windsor Ale yeast, 1 Mr Beer Golden LME, 1/2oz chinook hops added at flameout and kept in for entire fermentation of 21 days, then after 1 week I want to add another 1/2oz chinook hops. It is kind of a take on Rockets Red Glare so maybe I can call it O Canada Eh! So what do you all think of the substitutes I am going to add?

Again any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 5

Sounds pretty damn good to me! I really love using the Golden LME with the Bewitched. It really boosts the body and head retention quite well. The Windsor yeast will give it an English ale profile, which may mute the Chinook hops a little bit, especially since they're mainly used for bittering rather than aroma. I would have chosen Columbus, personally. But this could still come out pretty good. :) 

• Like 2

As always Josh thanks for your input!!! I couldn't get my hands o n any Columbus hops from my local Hop farm they are damn near sold out of everything most of the local craft breweries bought them out of the most popular styles of Hop!!!

when I brewed the Witches Flight, using bewitched amber ale, falconer's hops,& golden LME, and threw in some victory malt grain for extra malt backbone I looked at my recipe log, and since it was a 5 gallon batch I had to double up on the ingredients. I had only one golden LME, so I substituted a Smooth LME. one of the best tasting beers I've brewed! a frnd of mine tried some and now he wants me to make more!

• Like 1

I think you might appreciate this story Huggie. a frnd of mine used to own a biker bar, and on weds & thurs. they had karaoke. well there were some business men in there one night, and with them was a business partner from Canada, everybody was blasted drunk, and so this Canadian businessman decided to sing the Canadian Nat'l song, which is O' Canada? I believe, and he sang it like he was a woman, to me sounded more like Julia Childs, the famous British chef. his voice had a studdering broken sound, and it was hilarious!, but of course the bikers didn't care for it at all! LOL!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I think you might appreciate this story Huggie. a frnd of mine used to own a biker bar, and on weds & thurs. they had karaoke. well there were some business men in there one night, and with them was a business partner from Canada, everybody was blasted drunk, and so this Canadian businessman decided to sing the Canadian Nat'l song, which is O' Canada? I believe, and he sang it like he was a woman, to me sounded more like Julia Childs, the famous British chef. his voice had a studdering broken sound, and it was hilarious!, but of course the bikers didn't care for it at all! LOL!

Dag nabbit!  If you can't sing the Canadian National Anthem like Julia Childs with a stuttering-broken sound, piss ass drunk, in a room full of bikers, in a biker bar than you sir are NOT the type of company I like to keep!  Good day to you, sir!  ;)

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Huggie's Highlands Brewery said:

JoshR should I even bother to do the half oz dry hop of Chinook at 1 week? Would I not get enough aroma from both the Windsor yeast in the esters it produces and the half oz of Chinook I put in at flameout?

I'd still dry-hop it anyway.

• Like 1

and Huggie, i'm sure your a Trailer Park Boys Fan! Bubbles is a member on this forum, and season 10 is about to come out! I cant wait!

On 3/8/2016 at 10:23 AM, AnthonyC said:

Dag nabbit!  If you can't sing the Canadian National Anthem like Julia Childs with a stuttering-broken sound, piss ass drunk, in a room full of bikers, in a biker bar than you sir are NOT the type of company I like to keep!  Good day to you, sir!  ;)

On a completely tangential note, a few years back some college buddies and I were doing a pub crawl along Boston's Freedom Trail.  It was Opening Day for the Boston Red Sox, so naturally all the pubs had the game on TV.  The Sox were playing the Toronto Blue Jays, and they played both national anthems before the game.  My friends and I stood up and sang "O Canada," receiving a lot of strange looks from the other patrons of that particular bar.  We as much as challenged them to do the same for "The Star-Spangled Banner," but nobody did.  Shaking our heads, we finished our beers and moved on to the next pub.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MichaelL said:

On a completely tangential note, a few years back some college buddies and I were doing a pub crawl along Boston's Freedom Trail.  It was Opening Day for the Boston Red Sox, so naturally all the pubs had the game on TV.  The Sox were playing the Toronto Blue Jays, and they played both national anthems before the game.  My friends and I stood up and sang "O Canada," receiving a lot of strange looks from the other patrons of that particular bar.  We as much as challenged them to do the same for "The Star-Spangled Banner," but nobody did.  Shaking our heads, we finished our beers and moved on to the next pub.

That's hilarious, Mike!  If someone tried to do that in The Bronx prior to a Yankee/Blue Jays game they would probably get whooped.  On the other hand, if someone tried to sing church hymns while wearing anything BoSox there, they would most assuredly get whooped.  ;) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Huggie's Highlands Brewery said:

Just brewed this tonight. Oh Canada Eh! From my original post and it  smelled really good with the Chinook hops!!!

Nice!  Good luck with it!! :)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure letting the keg come back to room temperature after cold crashing defeats the purpose of cold crashing,,,I cold crash for three days then bottle immediately...

27 minutes ago, Huggie's Highlands Brewery said:

How long do I need to condition this for? Will it be longer due to using the Windsor ale yeast?

it shouldn't be any different, but if ur not 100% sure, wait 6 weeks in the bottle

So just tried the first Oh Canada Eh! Beer and after 4 weeks it's pretty good can really taste the Chinook hops but I think it's a damn fine beer!!! Another 2 weeks and I think it will be stellar! I'm going to let my friend who works at a craft brewery try one and have him critique it for me!

• Like 4