Mr.Beer Community

So I just finished my first batch of American light, and bottled it in the 740ml plastic amber bottles it came with(put 2carbo drops in each bottle). Now I need more bottles, I am going to Amazon and notice I have 2 options...

Amber or Clear?

Does this make a difference?

Right now I have my conditioning beer bottles in a dark cabinet at room temperature. So does this affect the beer in any way?

Thank you

Hello Bubbles!

Here is what I have learned about this -

Amber v. Clear -

Yes it makes a difference. Beer is light/sunlight sensitive and amber blocks the UV rays. You still don't want to leave it out in the sun. Clear is for the ciders. 

Oxygen Barrier - that is what I have. Under normal use, my understanding is that no, it does not make a difference. The regular bottles let a bit of oxygen over time and this CAN make a difference with extended conditioning. (Think over a year.) And even then it depends. But for regular conditioning times, either will do. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Actually, to save money on shipping, I am probably going to buy 15 bottles of sparkling water...in the green glass bottles with metal twist cap.

Saves money, and I get some good water!

(thanks MrWhy, your answer above was very clear)

Nothing wrong with clear bottles as long as you keep them in the dark.

I would not do that.  Reasons:

1) Sparking water probably doesn't have the level of carbonation that beer or soda have, and therefore the bottles may not hold the pressure without bursting.

2) Metal twist caps don't reseal properly.

3) Mr. Why already told you not to buy green bottles...

There is a lot of good information on the forum which, based on your questions, you may want to read. 

• Like 1

you can order flip top bottles on the Mr. Beer website, shipping is only 7.99 I think, not bad deal, ive got about 100 of these. and they're amber color. another thing is the Grolsch style flip top bottles, you see a lot on ebay for sale, or get all your friends to drink them and you can collect the bottles! or even better! have Ricky switch to drinking only flip top grolsch beer, and if that works, talk julian to do the same!!

• Like 1