Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
J A

Wardrobe malfunction...

So I was cleaning out my only empty LBK for a batch and I took off the spigot to give it a good soak and get all the goo out of the threads and washer, etc. I figure it's good to do that at least every now and then. 

Anyhoo...twisting the thing back on there, I snapped off the tubing barb so now it's got a stub and a hole where I'd be attaching tubing when the time comes. I had to go ahead and fill it and the valve part is perfectly intact, so it'll be fine for fermenting. I'll be able to get a replacement by the time I need the LBK again, but when it comes time to bottle, I'll have to deal with this one. Any ideas?

20160301_095404.jpg.bd131670b99b37e2ef87

Maybe transfer to another container like you would to batch prime

23 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Without a siphon you are challenged.

Actually, I guess it won't be so hard...just crash it at an extreme angle so that the trub settles pretty far back and ease off the lid and siphon as you would a bucket and batch prime as I intended to do anyway.

It won't be as efficient or clean, but it's a wheat beer, so if there's a little extra stuff in the bottle, it won't matter as much.

I though about trying to insert a tube into the hole, but if it slipped out or leaked, it would be a mess. Still got a few weeks to worry about it. If I get a replacement soon enough, I may transfer to secondary in one of the LBKs I'll bottle out of next weekend.

Where there's a beer, there's a way!  How wide was the stream that came out of it when you emptied the water via the spigot while cleaning?  Is it still narrow enough that it will pour into a bottle?  

13 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Is it still narrow enough that it will pour into a bottle?  

It will, but that's not the best way to bottle. If it was a tossed-together batch for like my Quick Bitter, I'd consider just draining it into bottles and not worry about oxidation, but this is an all-grain BIAB batch of Hef (or at least the closest you can get to a hef with left-over S-33...but that's another story) and I don't want to do anything that will compromise it.

Just now, J A said:

It will, but that's not the best way to bottle. If it was a tossed-together batch for like my Quick Bitter, I'd consider just draining it into bottles and not worry about oxidation, but this is an all-grain BIAB batch of Hef (or at least the closest you can get to a hef with left-over S-33...but that's another story) and I don't want to do anything that will compromise it.

Ah, gotcha.  Maybe after Tim drinks his 3 free beers with lunch he'll stagger on down to the warehouse and ship you out one for free. ;)

• Like 3