Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

Angry Bovine Is Back in Stock!

angrybovinemilkstout_web.png

Good news! We have Lactose and Cocoa Nibs back in stock (http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/special-adjuncts)! That also means the return of Angry Bovine Chocolate Milk Stout!! 

Add even more chocolate character, body, and flavor by supplementing the recipe with 2 oz Chocolate Malt (http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/grains/chocolate-malt) and 2 oz Crystal 60 (http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/grains/crystal-malt-60). Steep at 155-170 for 30 mins.

• Like 5

If the recipe isn't up yet, give it a bit. It should be up soon.

• Like 1

:angry:Man!  I just placed an order yesterday and already have everything  but the lactose sugar and nibs.Wouldve so added that to my order.-might have to order anyways really wanna try this ,,,,,.:)

• Like 2

7.5%??  The Mr Beer recipe only gives about 5%.  What did you add to get the additional ABV?

yeah, finished rather high... scraped the can good!  

I added a packet of booster - because I had it. but still high for that addition... maybe I misread the hydrometer?  

OG: 1.082 

FG:  1.025

ABV ->  7.5%

Using QBrew you can see what it should have been - OG of 1.063, FG of around 1.016 (avg).  I don't see how it's possible that you got 1.082.  

5 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Using QBrew you can see what it should have been - OG of 1.063, FG of around 1.016 (avg).  I don't see how it's possible that you got 1.082.  

I can't explain it...   again, maybe I (must have) misread the hydrometer.  

That would have been a lot of maltodextrin...  

Did HoppySmile read the hydrometer?  

• Like 2

On 3/2/2016 at 6:00 PM, MRB Josh R said:

angrybovinemilkstout_web.png

Good news! We have Lactose and Cocoa Nibs back in stock (http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/special-adjuncts)! That also means the return of Angry Bovine Chocolate Milk Stout!! 

Add even more chocolate character, body, and flavor by supplementing the recipe with 2 oz Chocolate Malt (http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/grains/chocolate-malt) and 2 oz Crystal 60 (http://www.mrbeer.com/ingredients/grains/crystal-malt-60). Steep at 155-170 for 30 mins.

"Mad Cow" beer?  Really?  So should I drink this to wash down my raw hamburger?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!  I LOVE f@#$ing with people in the marketing department

This is from a guy who use to brew beer he named "Responsibly".  Then every other beer on the market did my advertising for me for free.  I also had a fishing boat I had named "Moderation".  Then I could always say I was drinking "Responsibly" in "Moderation" while I was out on the lake.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2016 at 9:41 AM, Chuck N ™ said:

"Mad Cow" beer?  Really?  So should I drink this to wash down my raw hamburger?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!  I LOVE f@#$ing with people in the marketing department

This is from a guy who use to brew beer he named "Responsibly".  Then every other beer on the market did my advertising for me for free.  I also had a fishing boat I had named "Moderation".  Then I could always say I was drinking "Responsibly" in "Moderation" while I was out on the lake.

I wanted to call it "Mad Cow", but that name was already taken.

• Like 1

I used a hydrometer for the first time with this brew.  According to my readings:

OG - 1.045

FG - 1.011

Which got me 4.45%.  I figured any delta was me using a new tool for the first time.

For me the lactose did not dissolve well into the wort. I used the original recipe with the LME and will be bottling this Thursday. Did anyone else have any issues with the lactose or recommendations for the next time I try this recipe?

Oh yea, just arrived today. My wife now recognizes the box the ME's come in, so of course I got quite the eye roll when UPS got to my door. :) 

Ordered this with it. 

Do I steep during the initial boil before added the ME's? 

Steeping comes BEFORE boiling.  Suggest you read the recipe directions.

One week into initial fermentation, and it is still bubbling along. Many of my friends are quite looking forward to trying this stout after I told them about it. I took Josh's recommendation and enhanced it by cold steeping chocolate and caramel malt. Not sure if it is this stout, or the combo of beers fermenting. When I open my freezer to check on progress, WHOA the super strong scent of fermentation almost knocks you over.

Have this stout, the Novacaine and a batch of Saizon De Muil in there. 

Love it.   :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TacTicToe said:

One week into initial fermentation, and it is still bubbling along. Many of my friends are quite looking forward to trying this stout after I told them about it. I took Josh's recommendation and enhanced it by cold steeping chocolate and caramel malt. Not sure if it is this stout, or the combo of beers fermenting. When I open my freezer to check on progress, WHOA the super strong scent of fermentation almost knocks you over.

Have this stout, the Novacaine and a batch of Saizon De Muil in there. 

Love it.   :)

There's no need to cold-steep the caramel malt as it won't do much. You're better off hot steeping it. Only the dark kilned/roasted malts should be cold-steeped.

Crap, well too late now. Fortunately there was plenty left over for my next batch and now I will know better. That liquid was so dark though, thought for sure it worked. Oh well, live and learn. :rolleyes:

So should I take the cold steeped dark and boil that to steep the caramel?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TacTicToe said:

Crap, well too late now. Fortunately there was plenty left over for my next batch and now I will know better. That liquid was so dark though, thought for sure it worked. Oh well, live and learn. :rolleyes:

Oh, it worked. You can steep caramel malt at any temp, really, but it's best to give it some heat to extract the caramel flavors.

Thought I would post here the situ with the fast high krausen with the  Safale S-04 Yeast with my Angry Bovine stout.   Thought maybe the rest of the community would be interested.  At least those that are following this thread.

I started up my brew of Angry Bovine today, about 4 or 5 am.  (I am a very early riser).  (and late to bed as well)  Anyway, after about 12 hours I noted that the fermentation of the brew had filled the barrel and though it wasn't foaming out, overflowing, it wasn't far from it.   Then it reached high krausen shortly thereafter, at about 8 pm the same day that I started the brew.   I was puzzled because I have used that type of yeast before and hadn't noticed such a fast high krausen being reached.

A little background.  Followed the recipe with the exception of leaving out the cacao nibs at the request of my wife.  She wanted more of a straight milk stout without the intense chocolate flavor.  Wo to keep peace in the family and to keep momma happy, I did as she asked. 

Another thing that I do with all my worts when I start them is make sure that they are highly oxygenated.  When I placed the yeast in the barrel, there was a fair amount of foam from that process on top of the wort.  Don't know if others here do the same, though I know its recommended to make sure that you oxygenate your wort.  Perhaps I am going overboard a bit.  Possible, but it doesn't seem affect anything except improve the fermentation.   This time though it really speeded up the fermentation reaching high krausen.  I know this type of yeast is supposed to be a fast fermenting type but having used it before I just hadn't noticed it being THAT fast.   It is still bubbling away but the foam from it is at a normal level above the wort.  The smell is wonderful for sure.  Love it.  And I have kept the temp and just under 70 degrees for this fermentation.  Around 69.to 69.5

Any opinions anyone? 

This is why I enjoy brewing so much.  You can do the same things every recipe and there is always something that can happen that will change a brew.and/or just puzzle a person.  Mistakes happen, other things can happen.  Makes this hobby so much fun. 

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

You cannot over oxygenate your wort.

Every batch is different.

Wasn't worried about over oxygenating the wort, but rather if I didn't need to do it so much.  It takes time to do it like I have been doing so if I was wasteing time by doing it so much.

Yea, I know each batch can be different.  That is why I love this hobby.:)  That and the drink that is then available. <_<   I like playing the mad scientist.

1 hour ago, Shrike said:

I wouldn't worry about it.  Yeast can be slow or fast starters.

Too true.  Just had never had one start up THAT fast.  It was fascinating watching it.  Only thing worrying me was if it would overflow.  But keeping the temp below 70 seemed to really help.  With the two LME's in it I did really expect it to have a good chance of overflowing which is why I wanted to control the temp as I did, err...doing.  Never brewed a milk stout before so am discovering I REALLY like the smell of it.  Right now I have three barrels brewing and am going to start another one in a day or two.  The new one I am really going to play mad scientist.   I want to do a partial mash with some grains that I haven't used before.  Got an American Light that I need to use and since light beer doesn't go well around our place, I need to bring it up to something that folks here will drink..hopefully. 

any thoughts anyone on what I might try with it?

One thing I am thinking is trying to make it a cream.  Not sure though if I should try it using oats or if I should use corn.  I like creamy texture/flavor as does the momma.  Would like to surprise her with something maybe along those lines.  No chocolate though, leastways strong.  And she isn't fond of fruity beers.  But if anyone has any suggestions, will be happy to try them.  This one is strictly experimental so open to try anything.  If it doesn't work or comes out bleuuuwwww..so be it.  But heck, could come up with a new brew.  Never know.

I have done it two ways

- add it into the wort water before it boils

- add it straight into LBK when fermenting.

No problem either time.

42 minutes ago, cyberpip said:

Too true.  Just had never had one start up THAT fast.  It was fascinating watching it.  Only thing worrying me was if it would overflow.  But keeping the temp below 70 seemed to really help.  With the two LME's in it I did really expect it to have a good chance of overflowing which is why I wanted to control the temp as I did, err...doing.  Never brewed a milk stout before so am discovering I REALLY like the smell of it.  Right now I have three barrels brewing and am going to start another one in a day or two.  The new one I am really going to play mad scientist.   I want to do a partial mash with some grains that I haven't used before.  Got an American Light that I need to use and since light beer doesn't go well around our place, I need to bring it up to something that folks here will drink..hopefully. 

any thoughts anyone on what I might try with it?

For me the CAL works if I just add booster and Cascade to it. 0.5 oz is enough. It makes a big difference. But you could also add a PM of 2 row maybe 4 oz .

I also made it with 8 oz light DME and hopped it with 0.5 oz Citra. I liked the Cascade one better.

I also made it with booster and Kohatu. That is still maturing. This is light and fruity after a couple weeks.

I also made Golden Two, Belgian Blonde Ale clone -  made with additional can of Canadian Blonde HME, Tettnanger hops, T-58 yeast and 1 cup of sugar.