Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Newmoon brewer

Raw hme taste

Alright this may sound ridiculous but has anyone tasted raw hme? I've brewed so far with CAL, bav Weiss, and Czech pils. And randomly while spooning out the hme cans into the kettle I got a drip here or there on on my hand. Well from my experience all three of those appear to taste quite similar in the raw form, albeit tiny tiny tastes. But I'm just putting it out there is there an actual noticeable difference between the hme's or is it more of a sophisticated chemistry difference than just taste.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

I've tasted it. All tastes like sugar to me. Like candy...

I taste/smell something like kettle corn.

I'll let you know Friday what I think. I'll savor that sweet wort and think long and hard about what it tastes like

Newmoon,

The three extracts that you are referring to are all light colored beers.  I have not tasted extract but have tasted grains (not bad actually). The CAL and Czech Pils will have base grains that would taste very similar side by side and little to no additional specialty grains to significantly change that flavor.  The Bav Weiss will also have basically the same base grains with some wheat added that may taste different in a finished beer but probably would not be perceptible in an extract.  If you were to try a dark extract along with a light one, you would definitely be able to tell the difference in taste.

Hops and specialty grains are the main differing flavoring components in a beer.  I have brewed and fermented 3 beers side by side, when I experimented with my Blonde recipe, with the only difference being the variety of hops and they all tasted different as a final product.   

If you progress beyond Mr. Beer brewing (not that you must), try to taste some of the grains that are used for brewing and you will see that there is a big difference in the specialty grains as they go from light to dark.

• Like 1

I guess I've never tasted the raw HMEs. Now you've all got me curious. I guess when I start my Klondike Gold tomorrow I'll have to take a taste after I've emptied the can in my wort mix.

• Like 1

i had to go try some again......it is delicious. taste it....it is food in all reality :)