Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

American Ale Review

Brewed the American Ale Standard Refill back in the beginning of January and tried one this week after the typical recommended 3-4 method.  Knew it was bound to happen, but after eight straight brews that were really good to excellent, I was a little disappointed with this one.  Perhaps further conditioning will improve results.  The appearance was very good.  Not much of an aroma, and the taste is pretty bland -- pretty crisp, malty, not much of a hop presence -- nothing special.  Your basic brew -- reminded me of when you first start drinking when you're young and you have a "beer is beer" approach to drinking, so something nondescript doesn't bother you all that much.  That said, this will be fine to have with a burger or chicken wings or on a hot day after mowing the lawn, but would not be my go-to if I just want to sit back and enjoy a beer on its own.  I've read that some people do not use the booster -- is it b/c it tends to give the beer a strange sugary taste?  I feel like that came through a little bit -- like just gave this an artificial-ness that has not been present in the other beers I've brewed with Mr. Beer.

Kevin

IMG_20160302_2056361_rewind.jpg

• Like 2

American Ale is used in Santa Catalina, which is a truly great brew in my opinion. I haven't tried it just straight though.

• Like 3

Bhob is right... the Santa Catalina Pale Ale is really good. I alter the recipe by steeping 4 oz Carapils, use Mt. Hood hops instead of Cascade and add 1 cup of honey. I also ferment this one for 28 days/4 weeks, cold-crash for 3 days, then carb/condition for at least eight weeks. A very good brew indeed!

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback, I have a can of CAL so if I could go back in time I would've picked up the cascade hops at a local brewing shop and tried the Santa Catalina recipe.  I'm sure just even 1/2 oz of cascade hops would've made a world of difference with the American Ale.  It's just very nondescript as is.

Kevin

I've got a "mad scientist" brew conditioning -

Used the American Ale, t-58, and some other stuff....(saaz hops, a golden LME, a smooth LME, and booster).

I should be trying in another two...maybe three weeks. 

Quick update -- I had a few more of these this weekend (31 days conditioned; three days refrigerated) and I think I'd bump up my overall assessment.  It's pretty solid.