Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyC

Coriander

Someone gave me some whole coriander.  Any idea which recipe would pair nicely with this once it's ground?  How much would I add to said recipe? 

Coriander is, AFAIK, mostly used in wheat beers. How much you want to use depends on the recipe, the size of the batch and you personal preference. Don't forget that if it's raw coriander to toast it before you crush it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chuck N ™ said:

Coriander is, AFAIK, mostly used in wheat beers. How much you want to use depends on the recipe, the size of the batch and you personal preference. Don't forget that if it's raw coriander to toast it before you crush it.

Thanks, Chuck.  This stuff is toasted (dried?).  I'm going to be making a dunkel soon.  Wonder if it would be tasty in that? 

Coriander works well in a lot of different beers.  Some Blondes, Saisons and as Chuck said Wheat beers.

• Like 1

Coriander and orange are the two main ingredients in Blue Moon.  Recipes for Blue Moon include 3 components - those two and wheat LME/DME.

Use too much and you'll know it. 

• Like 2

You want a recipe to use it up?

Gose - the German lactic salt beer also uses coriander - but a ton of it.

In 2 gal, Wheat beer may use a TBS ground up, but recipes for Gose I looked at called for as much as 1 oz (1/2 cup) in 5 gal.

For reference on the Internet I get this conversion - 1/4 cup coriander seeds = 4 tablespoons = 15 g (1/2 oz). So that is REALLY flavored.

If you are concerned about cleaning out the Lactobacillus after, then you can use acidulated malt or just add Lactic acid.

• Like 1