Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
brewchamp

Hard Apple Cider

Since the 3rd bottle of concentrate was added to the recipe, is that supposed to replace the 1.5 cups of sugar from the old recipe that used 2 bottles of concentrate?

Instructions on the refill page contradict the PDF version.

Either instructions are fine to use. Sugar is optional. You can add the sugar to your batch or omit it. It's up to you. There's no wrong way to do it.

• Like 3

On March 7, 2016 at 10:43 AM, MRB Josh R said:

Either instructions are fine to use. Sugar is optional. You can add the sugar to your batch or omit it. It's up to you. There's no wrong way to do it.

With the 2 bottle or 3 bottle, and adding/not adding the 1.5 cups sugar, can you also add the gallon of 100% pasteurized Apple Juice? 

Does it matter what combination?

Just now, poker_run said:

With the 2 bottle or 3 bottle, and adding/not adding the 1.5 cups sugar, can you also add the gallon of 100% pasteurized Apple Juice? 

Does it matter what combination?

No, it doesn't matter. In the end, you will still have cider. Try omitting the sugar as it will actually dry the cider, not sweeten it. Use the 3 bottles, and sub a gallon of water with a good pasteurized apple juice and you will most likely be very happy with the final results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

No, it doesn't matter. In the end, you will still have cider. Try omitting the sugar as it will actually dry the cider, not sweeten it. Use the 3 bottles, and sub a gallon of water with a good pasteurized apple juice and you will most likely be very happy with the final results.

I must have gotten older kit, it only has 2 bottles.

i was planning making with the 2 bottle, no sugar, and add gallon of apple juice.

?work yeah?

• Like 1

Yeah, that will work just fine. Don't hesitate to add more apple juice, if you want. Hell, you could even replace all of the water with juice, if you wanted to. But I think 1-1.5 gallon of juice will suffice just fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MRB Josh R said:

Yeah, that will work just fine. Don't hesitate to add more apple juice, if you want. Hell, you could even replace all of the water with juice, if you wanted to. But I think 1-1.5 gallon of juice will suffice just fine.

Thanks Mr Josh!

37 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Sorry, 2 more questions.....

3 weeks for fermentation too long?

i am going on a 2-1/2 week trip and was gonna throw it into the lbk before I left.

Also, I see post about adding lactose for sweetness. Is that a good idea for this kit?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poker_run said:

Sorry, one more question.

i am going on a 2-1/2 week trip and was gonna throw it into the lbk before I left.

Not at all. In fact, I brew all of my ciders and beers for 3 weeks. This allows the yeast to clean and then clarify the beer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poker_run said:

Sorry, 2 more questions.....

Also, I see post about adding lactose for sweetness. Is that a good idea for this kit?

Lactose:  Depends on the taste that your going for.  If you want something dry, then don't use it.  If you're looking for something like Red's or Angry Orchard, then use it.  I personally did not like the cider without it.  To me it was dry and flavorless.  Goodluck!   :)

• Like 2

Lactose is fine as long as you aren't lactose intolerant. Also, it will give the cider a sort of creamy texture. I prefer my ciders dry and clean, but if you want sweetness, lactose will definitely help. @AnthonyC or one of the other guys familiar with using lactose in cider might be able to help you with the proper amounts better than me. I haven't experimented with it much myself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Lactose is fine as long as you aren't lactose intolerant. Also, it will give the cider a sort of creamy texture. I prefer my ciders dry and clean, but if you want sweetness, lactose will definitely help. @AnthonyC or one of the other guys familiar with using lactose in cider might be able to help you with the proper amounts better than me. I haven't experimented with it much myself.

If you need me, I'm here. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

If you need me, I'm here. :)

Ivw waited so long to hear these words from you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ivw waited so long to hear these words from you.

Dammit!  I knew when I wrote that someone,... you in particular would have something to say about it!  Hahahaha!

ghost-pottery-scene-w352.jpg

15 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Lactose:  Depends on the taste that your going for.  If you want something dry, then don't use it.  If you're looking for something like Red's or Angry Orchard, then use it.  I personally did not like the cider without it.  To me it was dry and flavorless.  Goodluck!   :)

When and how much lactose to a 2 gal LBK?

and where do you get lactose (local home Brew Store)?

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Thanks. I started last night and will try as directed, maybe do lactose next time.

i do have a question that I couldn't find in a forum-

i usually use 740ml bottles (and have the wand to fill with), but did get the cider kit that came with qty 8- 1L bottles and plan on using them.

Looking ahead, I do realize I will use 2.5 teas sugar to prime, and notice instructions state fill up to 2" from top (and somewhere else read 2.5" from top).......anywhere in that range is good?

and for conditioning, is 4 weeks good? (The "standard" 3/4/3 ?) or any advice on it?

i have done my other brews 3 weeks fermenting, 4 (+) weeks conditioning, and 3 days in refridge. 

• Like 1

Just now, poker_run said:

Thanks. I started last night and will try as directed, maybe do lactose next time.

i do have a question that I couldn't find in a forum-

i usually use 740ml bottles (and have the wand to fill with), but did get the cider kit that came with qty 8- 1L bottles and plan on using them.

Looking ahead, I do realize I will use 2.5 teas sugar to prime, and notice instructions state fill up to 2" from top (and somewhere else read 2.5" from top).......anywhere in that range is good?

Yes, that's fine.

1 minute ago, poker_run said:

and for conditioning, is 4 weeks good? (The "standard" 3/4/3 ?) or any advice on it?

i have done my other brews 3 weeks fermenting, 4 (+) weeks conditioning, and 3 days in refridge. 

Yes, 3/3/3 or 3/4/3 will do. :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, poker_run said:

When and how much lactose to a 2 gal LBK?

and where do you get lactose (local home Brew Store)?

Yup, you can get it at your local brew shop.  I used between 6-8oz in each recipe.  I didn't notice the creamy mouth feel in the cider, but I do when I use it in beer.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyC said:

Yup, you can get it at your local brew shop.  I used between 6-8oz in each recipe.  I didn't notice the creamy mouth feel in the cider, but I do when I use it in beer.  

At what point in process do you add it?

Pretty sure that I added it right after the cider concentrate.   Make sure that you pour it slow and stir as your add.  Sometimes it's fickle to work with; sort of like using DME.  

• Like 1

I have put it in with the DME. I have also added it later into the LBK during fermentation. Since it does not ferment, I don't see it really matter as long as it dissolves.

Of course getting it boiled guarantees no infections.

• Like 1

I wish I would've read about how to add some sweetness to it.  However, I just bottled my Cider Beer last night and it came out at a whopping 9.2% and could definitely taste the tartness to it, which I think is what I'm going for anyway versus sweetness.  If my wife doesn't like it...MORE for me! I'll remember to try adding lactose to it next time if that's the case.