Mr.Beer Community
HoppySmile!

Bavarian Weissbier

ok I've sent this to a half dozen people, and getting tired typing with my stupid way of typing, one finger, so I was on Ebay early this morning, looking at Mr. Beer products and Target is selling Bavarian Weissbier for $5.68/ can plus $4.00 shipping, and tax. I bought 4 cans for under $25.00, got free shipping, I guess if u order more than two it might be free?, and tax was under 2 bucks! Limited Quantities, for all of you who haven't paid their taxes yet, like me, I jumped on this one!!!

• Like 5

wow, nice.  good time to stock up for the summer wheat beers!

I am assuming that the cans are expired or close too... I just hope not by much!  

Update:  Just re-read HoppySmile! post and went to the Target site on eBay and nabbed 3 of them with free shipping. :)

Wow, indeed!!  But I just tried to buy 3 of them and have them shipped free to a nearby Target...and after using PayPal to pay, Target.com came back and said:

• "We're sorry, but an item in your cart was removed because it is not available for purchase at this time."

Not sure if it was asking for free shipping that did me in...or if they ran out already.....

Edited by K5WX
update

Now I guess I have to invite HoppySmile! over for a brew.....

No problem....any time!  Thanks!  :)

• Like 2

yea it didn't say how many were left, that sucked, and no telling who all jumped to the opportunity? but I believe the free shipping is to be shipped to a residential address, I can't remember all the info, but it does specify the free shipping in the highlighted 'details' next to shipping. you may look at that part. 

• Like 1

I went onto target.com about 3 hours ago and bought 5. $30.77 with tax shipped free to my local store! Check out target's website, I just went on there and it said that 12 were left! First come, first served.

• Like 1

May as well start talking about recipe ideas. I bought 5, either going to see if I can get one more or supplement with some grains. I was thinking about a 5 gallon batch using two HMEs and some grain to recreate a blue moon. Just not sure what grains to use. Pilsner, a German pale ale, or just some flaked oats / wheat. 

I think 1 can I'll brew as directed since I've never made this one before. The Belgian blanc recipe looks really good too. 

• Like 1

Just to clarify, Weiss means white and weiz means wheat. So I should stay away from wheat beer recipes? Or can I still make them into a wheat beer? Never made anything German yet. Again this goes back to what grains I can use with these. Or breiss makes a Bavarian wheat extract or a Pilsner. Not sure what a Munich is either.

• Like 1

I nabbed 5 of them about 90mins ago.  I also opted for the free shipping, but it is being shipped to my home.  I believe the shipping was free as long as you spent over $25.  I wasn't even going to buy any, but you guys got me all caught up in the frenzy!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I got 5 too.

I could not get them delivered to local store so had to get 5 for free shipping. 4 did not do it.

I will have wheat beer coming out of my ears. I already have 2 Dunklewiezen fermenting and a Blanc aging.

• Like 1

well i'm really happy everyone was able to benefit from this wonderful beer miracle! a co worker of mine whom I got him into the Mr. Beer addichun, he's been wanting to do a wheat beer so I think i'll sell him a cple of cans, ive already got two in the beer shelf, so like with Creeps, I may do a partial mash of 5 gallons, just curious of the grains to use?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

I got 5 too.

I could not get them delivered to local store so had to get 5 for free shipping. 4 did not do it.

I will have wheat beer coming out of my ears. I already have 2 Dunklewiezen fermenting and a Blanc aging.

Ditto!  2 Dunkels going as well.  Probably going to do a Belgian Blanc w/one Bavarian, but not sure about the rest.

oh yeah! I meant to add, target has already shipped the order! Wow! what a deal! awesum price! Free shipping! and shipped the same day as ordered!

• Like 1

When I ordered there were 6 left, I took all.  Don't know how there were any after that.... We will see what Target ships.

I went to ebay and the ad is gone, so outta curiosity, went to target.com and the ad exists but the cart button looks disabled, so folks I guess we wiped em out!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I got 5 too.

I ordered 5 cans yesterday morning when I saw Hoppy's post.  before I even replied... same situation here, ordering 4 was >$40, whereas 5 cans meant free shipping, thus about $31 with tax.  $5.68 a can.  wow... just hope they don't have expirations of like 2014....  I got a tracking number yesterday afternoon, but it hasn't yet been received by UPS.  

This will be great, i'll get at least two of the Barley Strawberry basil recipes going, probably a belgian blanc (go hallertau!)  and then some experiments.  Spring will be great!  

• Like 3

Still no tracking # or email confirming shipping from Target.  Tick tock.. tick tock...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cowboykyle said:

... just hope they don't have expirations of like 2014....  

If they do call customer service and complain that they sold you expired product, maybe they give you a refund?

On a similar note around christmas time I found some American Lager refills on sale at the local K-Mart and when I was paying for them was asked if I'd like the replacement coverage for them. I was tempted . . .

*Update*  The order has left the building.  Shipped out at 10:45AM EST.  Estimated arrival date is 3/15.  Thanks again, Hoppy!

• Like 1

Mine show shipped on the site, but no email yet.  Probably tonight. 1 can by itself in a package, 5 in the other package.

Wonder how many they would have sold, without having to resort to clearance, if they spelled it right...

Wiessenbier.JPG

Target's web business continues to underperform, much of it due to their sloppiness.

• Like 2

According to Google Translate, that would mean "Knowledge Beer"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MRB Tim said:

According to Google Translate, that would mean "Knowledge Beer"

And I am waiting for the recipe!

• Like 1

Mr Beer Blue Moon Clone

Recipe   Mr Beer Blue Moon Clone   Style   Witbier
Brewer       Batch   5.00 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics

Recipe Gravity   1.055 OG   Estimated FG   1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness   15 IBU   Alcohol by Volume   5.3%
Recipe Color   4° SRM   Alcohol by Weight   4.2%

Ingredients

Quantity   Grain   Type   Use
1.00 lb   Flaked Oats [Briess] - Body, mouthfeel and head retention   Adjunct   Mashed
3.00 lb   Two-row (US)   Grain   Mashed
3.74 lb   Mr. Beer/Coopers Bavarian Weissbier   Extract   Extract
1.00 lb   Wheat (US)   Grain   Mashed
Quantity   Hop   Type   Time
2.00 oz   Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier   Pellet   5 minutes
Quantity   Misc   Notes
1.00 unit   Orange Peel, Sweet   Spice   3 oz, 10 minutes before flameout
1.00 unit   Coriander   Spice   1.5 tsp, 10 minutes before flameout

Recipe Notes

Batch Notes

Safale US-05

• Like 2

Awaiting @MRB Josh R to give me the green light. This look good joshy boy? I'm 6 IBUs over my target, which I can't help, but otherwise should be pretty spot on. As long as I can even make that HME into a blue moon clone. Grains and this style are far from my expertise. 

Interesting, the 5 can part of my shipment (two shipments, 5 cans and 1 can) shipped from Tucson, Arizona.  I'll bet that Target does not have a warehouse there, and that this is a drop shipment from Mr. Beer themselves from their on-site warehouse.  I'll see when it arrives.

14 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Awaiting @MRB Josh R to give me the green light. This look good joshy boy? I'm 6 IBUs over my target, which I can't help, but otherwise should be pretty spot on. As long as I can even make that HME into a blue moon clone. Grains and this style are far from my expertise. 

Looks good. Though I'd probably cut back on the grains. 5lbs for a 5 gallon batch is a bit overboard.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Interesting, the 5 can part of my shipment (two shipments, 5 cans and 1 can) shipped from Tucson, Arizona.  I'll bet that Target does not have a warehouse there, and that this is a drop shipment from Mr. Beer themselves from their on-site warehouse.  I'll see when it arrives.

I received that very same message.  It's making me a bit more confident that I won't receive cans that expired in 2001!  :)

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Looks good. Though I'd probably cut back on the grains. 5lbs for a 5 gallon batch is a bit overboard.

Suggestion? I just upped  it to get the OG to the same as a blue moon clone.

4 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Suggestion? I just upped  it to get the OG to the same as a blue moon clone.

I would use 4 oz flaked oats, 8 oz 2-row, 4 oz wheat (though you don't really need the wheat since the HME and LME already have it and the oats add enough body). To match your OG, use Golden LME. Don't use grains to raise ABV. That's not their purpose, and it would take a lot of grains to do so.

• Like 3

Anytime you use any flaked ingredients, including oats, you MUST have at least an equal amount of 2-row for diastatic power (or any grain with a diastatic power above 60%). Otherwise, you're not getting anything from the flaked malts other than starch, which can promote bacteria.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Anytime you use any flaked ingredients, including oats, you MUST have at least an equal amount of 2-row for diastatic power (or any grain with a diastatic power above 60%). Otherwise, you're not getting anything from the flaked malts other than starch, which can promote bacteria.

Josh, I'm getting totally confused here.  I've steeped oats in a few of my stouts that are in the LBK right now.  I did not use any grains with these.  Honestly I was only hoping to get the starch out of the oats by doing this, to add to "mouth feel".  Am I screwed now?? 

1 minute ago, AnthonyC said:

Josh, I'm getting totally confused here.  I've steeped oats in a few of my stouts that are in the LBK right now.  I did not use any grains with these.  Honestly I was only hoping to get the starch out of the oats by doing this, to add to "mouth feel".  Am I screwed now?? 

You're not screwed, but you're not getting much from the oats. Heat does not convert the starch - enzymes do (such as amylase). Oats do not have the enzymes for conversion. They have 0% diastatic power. Using oats alone won't do much. It will add some flavor, but it will also add starch, which can promote bacterial growth if aging the beer. You will get some flavor and mouthfeel, but not nearly as much as if you had mashed them properly. 

Ah dammit!  I must've missed this somewhere along the line.  Thanks for clarifying that. 

Another benefit to using 2-row with flaked grains is to prevent gumming. Flaked grains can gum up really easy, preventing the proper amount of surface area to be exposed. The husks on the 2-row serve to keep the flaked grains separated so the mash is more efficient. AG brewers sometimes use rice hulls for this purpose in case they have a big grain bill that includes a lot of oats or other flaked grains. 

• Like 1

Man now I'm scared to death of getting a bacterial infection in my beer (had to clarify that!).  I guess I'll be rolling the dice these next few weeks, until bottling. 

18 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Man now I'm scared to death of getting a bacterial infection in my beer (had to clarify that!).  I guess I'll be rolling the dice these next few weeks, until bottling. 

Don't be. It's very rare. As long as you sanitized properly and you're keeping your lid closed, it will be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I would use 4 oz flaked oats, 8 oz 2-row, 4 oz wheat (though you don't really need the wheat since the HME and LME already have it and the oats add enough body). To match your OG, use Golden LME. Don't use grains to raise ABV. That's not their purpose, and it would take a lot of grains to do so.

Sorry to keep bothering you sir, but I still confused. 

If im trying to make a blue moon, shouldn't I try to hit the same abv as a blue moon? I don't want a blue moon light. I'm not chasing abv, I'm just trying to mimick. 

If I take the wheat out and use the new knowledge you gave me about flaked and two row, then my recipe would still follow your rules right? That would put me at 3 lbs of two row and one pound flaked. I think, I'm scared to page back and look at my recipe again. 

Should I just instead use three cans of HME?

31 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Sorry to keep bothering you sir, but I still confused. 

If im trying to make a blue moon, shouldn't I try to hit the same abv as a blue moon? I don't want a blue moon light. I'm not chasing abv, I'm just trying to mimick. 

If I take the wheat out and use the new knowledge you gave me about flaked and two row, then my recipe would still follow your rules right? That would put me at 3 lbs of two row and one pound flaked. I think, I'm scared to page back and look at my recipe again. 

Should I just instead use three cans of HME?

Don't use the grains to raise ABV. By using grains to reach or "mimic" the ABV, you are still using the grains to raise ABV, which I already said not to do. There's no reason to have 3 lbs of 2-row in your batch at all. The 2-row is only there to provide enzymes to convert the starches in the flaked oats and wheat. This conversion will give you trace amounts of alcohol, but not enough to justify using it for that purpose. Supplement your recipe with LME/DME to get the gravity you are looking for. Do NOT use grains solely for raising or matching an ABV. It's a waste of grain and a waste of time.

The only time I would recommend this would be if you are properly sparging the grains in a mash tun and then supplementing the wort with the HME (any brewing software will assume this is what you are doing). A PM steep/mash isn't going to do it with that much grain.

• Like 2

Just to throw it out there, Blue Moon is a very simple recipe using wheat LME, coriander, and orange peel.  No oatmeal needed :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

Don't use the grains to raise ABV. By using grains to reach or "mimic" the ABV, you are still using the grains to raise ABV, which I already said not to do. There's no reason to have 3 lbs of 2-row in your batch at all. The 2-row is only there to provide enzymes to convert the starches in the flaked oats and wheat. This conversion will give you trace amounts of alcohol, but not enough to justify using it for that purpose. Supplement your recipe with LME/DME to get the gravity you are looking for. Do NOT use grains solely for raising or matching an ABV. It's a waste of grain and a waste of time.

The only time I would recommend this would be if you are properly sparging the grains in a mash tun and then supplementing the wort with the HME (any brewing software will assume this is what you are doing). A PM steep/mash isn't going to do it with that much grain.

I was planning on getting my mash tun back out for this one actually. So I should be within your guidelines. Watched a nice video the other day and it had me wanting to do things the conventional way. 

Man, you have me thinking I'm back at day one of brewing. Let me talk this through. 

Two row is not an adjunct right? Why is it there to aid the flaked which is an adjunct?

When you say to not raise the ABV, that just messes with me. You mean to add grains to extract batches for body and mouthfeel is good, but trying to make up for lack of extract is bad? Is that right? I just figured your two HMEs equal 4 gallons and I'm trying to make 5 so I need some more fermentables. 

Forgive me, maybe I'm over complicating this but you're smarter than me and I like to fully understand things.

Just now, Creeps McLane said:

I was planning on getting my mash tun back out for this one actually. So I should be within your guidelines. Watched a nice video the other day and it had me wanting to do things the conventional way. 

Man, you have me thinking I'm back at day one of brewing. Let me talk this through. 

Two row is not an adjunct right? Why is it there to aid the flaked which is an adjunct?

When you say to not raise the ABV, that just messes with me. You mean to add grains to extract batches for body and mouthfeel is good, but trying to make up for lack of extract is bad? Is that right? I just figured your two HMEs equal 4 gallons and I'm trying to make 5 so I need some more fermentables. 

Forgive me, maybe I'm over complicating this but you're smarter than me and I like to fully understand things.

I already explained all of that.

An adjunct is simply a thing added to something else as a supplementary rather than an essential part. That makes the 2-row an adjunct. Anything extra you add is an adjunct. "Adjunct" is a generic term, not a specific one. 

Flaked grains have 0 enzymes. The enzymes are what converts starch to sugar. If you have no enzymes, there will be no conversion. 2-row provides the enzymes necessary for conversion.

To make up for lack of extract, you add more extract - NOT grain (I fear the amount of times I'm going to have to say this in this thread...), which IS the conventional way. You're definitely over-complicating this.

I'll just make a 4 gallon batch. Problem solved. Or a six gallon batch!!! Or 10, hell I did buy 5 cans. 

• Like 1

Anthony,I believe this is what your looking for , I just bottled this the 4th the sample was gooooooood!         

1 cal

1Bavarian wiess

1 golden lme

1 tsp coriander( crushed)

1 zest small orange

1 safbrew wb-06 11.5 grams

1/2 oz sazz hops dry hop 1 week ,coriander and orange zest at flame out

• Like 2

That's just a single lbk batch Anthony, double the recipe for 4.25 gallons it's a high abv 6.0 or a bit higher if I remember without looking at my notes,I doubled the batch the samples were really good

My order status updated, arriving this Friday the 11th! however, its being shipped from Kakistan???? the Serbian stores were shut down due to esculating bombing raids, so I guess its being redirected??? anyone have their Weissienbier being shipped like this? i'm just hoping that the expiration date isn't any later than 1995! that's as far as I can deal with it!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bighead beer said:

My og,fg put it about 6.5/6.7 right around that genital area lol

Right around what now?  BWA HA HA HAH!

the tracking message was the same for me, then the next day I get the email from UPS. I think these cans will be fine, last December I ordered some mr. beer extract cans from a website Wayfair, where they were selling the Bohemian Czech pilsner for around 10.00 each, and when they arrived their expiration date is 2017. same with another website called Katulas, I think that's how it's spelled, last December as well the Northwest pale ale was on sale for around 11.00, and the exp. date is in 2017 too. so eventhough my shipment is coming from an ex soviet block country, which is under bombing raids a lot and everything is scarce, I believe my package will arrive unscathed.

Yep. Same here. In transit. The intriguing thing is that they were mailed from Tucson, the home of Mr Beer - lol.

Same here.  Shipped from Tucson, Arizona.  My 3 cans are sitting in Mesquite, Texas and should be delivered on Friday.    I don't care if it's shipped from Tucson, AZ or Adelaide, Australia.   A great deal is a great deal.

I'm guessing that there won't be any problems with the expiration dates....

• Like 1

I believe there was in very small print, an agreement between product purchaser and Target.com, when you bought the promotional item you agree to a minimum of 5 billion emails received in sales and promotions from the online store. so I thought, what the heck! its only 5 billion?? c'mon! guys only 5 billion and look at the deal we got in return!!! hey lets ante up to 10 billion!

2 hours ago, Bighead beer said:

My og,fg put it about 6.5/6.7 right around that genital area lol

Hey, hey. Watch your language there mister! This here's a family friendly beer forum. Take your genitals elsewhere! :P :lol:

• Like 3

my five cans are scheduled to be delivered today.  what is really odd is my origin scan is Secaucus, NJ  :huh:  Target distribution center?  

33 minutes ago, cowboykyle said:

my five cans are scheduled to be delivered today.  what is really odd is my origin scan is Secaucus, NJ  :huh:  Target distribution center?  

There is a major UPS hub in Secaucus.  More often than not, when I order from Amazon, it passes through that hub.  I bet this is the reason. 

9 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

I just got my cans in, opened one of them and the best by date is july 2016

Damn, Hoppy!  Yours got there fast!!

58 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

Woohoo!  :D 

Tracking says mine are in town....but handed over to USPS for delivery tomorrow.

1 hour ago, HoppySmile! said:

same :)

yeah I was surprised, bcuz it wasn't suppose to be delivered til Friday evening, think i'll brew one straight up for starters

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HoppySmile! said:

Same here.   Best by date of July 2016. 

Thanks again for getting the word out for this deal!  Just like Christmas in March!

• Like 1

Got my other 5 today.  Box says Target, and all 5 expire in March 2017.  Some "clearance".

• Like 3

I'm at work, but I checked the UPS site and it says "Delivered".  Woo hoo!  Gonna be a brewin' weekend!!!  :)

4 weeks into conditioning the bavarian refill straight up. One of my cappers leaves a circle indent in the cap. They seem to have popped up. Never seen that before, kinda makes me scared. Popping one in the fridge tonight to test tomorrow. 12 oz bottle, one carb drop. Pretty standard. Hopefully it was fully fermented upon bottling...