Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nickfixit

Experimental Hops

I was interested in the experimental hops available with the event www.alesforals.com/hbc-hops

My daughter picked me up 2 packs of the HBC-438 in a store in Illinois, "FriarTuck" I think.

HBC 438 Brewing Characteristics

• Alpha: 14-18%
  • Beta: 6-7%
  • Co-humulone: 20-25%
  • Total oil: 2.5-3.5 mL/100g
  • Aroma characteristics of stone fruit, tropical fruit, orange, mint and herbal

But the blend also looks interesting and not sure how to get that. I think it is just for Breweries.

Not sure what to use them in yet. Anyone else plan on trying them?

• Like 1

I would do a single hop beer (pale ale, amber ale, or IPA) with a full hop schedule in some unhopped malt extract to really get a feeling for these hops. The HBC 438 seems like a nice dual-purpose hop. A high AA% with a low-moderate cohumulone content would make this an excellent choice for bittering, and the fairly high oil content would make this a great flavor/aroma hop, too.

• Like 2

Good thought but I will not get away with total hop boil in this house - lol.

So if I can only get away with limited boil and dry hop on top of a Mr B HME - what would be best?

Quick report on HBC-438 experimental hops.

I brewed the Hop Head Red recipe using the HBC-438 hops instead of the Willamette hops.  Everything else in the recipe was the same.

The Bewitched Amber Ale is a great extract and I loved the results that I got with the Hop Head Red recipe last year.

The HBC-438 hops seems to give a stronger aroma than the Willamette hops.  And the taste really has some nice, very subtle cedar-like flavor in the background.  This is the first bottle after fermenting 21 days, cold crashing 3 days, carbonating for 26 days, and sitting in the refrigerator for 4 days.  The ABV came out on target at 7.2%.

I'll let the other bottles age for a while longer and then get some experts try it.  I think it's a winner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K5WX said:

I'll let the other bottles age for a while longer and then get some experts try it.  I think it's a winner.

experts? do u mean ur wife?  haha

I'm brewing a few SMASH IPA's to measure the consistency of my all grain process. The owner of my local home brew store is attempting to get some of these hops and will save three ounces for me. If he manages to score some I'd be one happy camper.