Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoshR

COMING SOON - New Craft Refills!!!

All of this "soon" stuff is killing me! :P

In all seriousness, keep up the great work!! 

• Like 3

Josh's new name is Mr. Tease.  When he was young, he liked to poke people, tap them on the shoulder and run, etc.

• Like 4

Session IPA, huh?  I've been wondering if MrBeer would come up with something like this.  While I normally like my IPAs stronger and hoppier, there's something to be said for just sitting back and downing a few Founders All Day IPAs every once in awhile and this should scratch that itch.  Looking forward to these new HMEs.

• Like 1

So my question is - does the Long Play IPA have better aroma than the Diablo. The only reason I modify the Diablo is to give it hop aroma.

1 minute ago, Nickfixit said:

So my question is - does the Lon Play IPA have better aroma than the Diablo. The only reason I modify the Diablo is to give it hop aroma.

No. Like the Diablo (and many of our cans), there are no aroma hops in this. YOU add the aroma hops. This is to give people more creative control. Only bittering hops are added.

Ah! The truth is out. I had been wondering for a long time about that. I had no idea it was intentional. I had thought it was a defect.

That gets back to my post on suggestion a "Character " hop for each of the cans where the style is appropriate to that.

If I have time I might just do that myself since it seems to be caught up in a more complex Mr. Beer process.

"The truth is out"? This has been common knowledge for a long time. It's the reason we have recipes. If the cans already have aroma hops, what's the point in adding more?

Uh Oh, Maybe I should have said "Duh! At last I understand" - lol.

Knowing that would make a big difference to first user experiences I think and maybe to first brewer kits.

I would recommend then adding a "character" hop packet and bag to the starter kits.

I think the experience would be improved and the level of difficulty is not significantly more if just bagged and put in at end of boil.

Of course, it would add to the price. :-/

But I think it would make a bigger difference to the result than a booster or malt pack.  Of course both would be better. :-)

Remember - "Chase flavor not ABV"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Uh Oh, Maybe I should have said "Duh! At last I understand" - lol.

Knowing that would make a big difference to first user experiences I think and maybe to first brewer kits.

I would recommend then adding a "character" hop packet and bag to the starter kits.

I think the experience would be improved and the level of difficulty is not significantly more if just bagged and put in at end of boil.

Of course, it would add to the price. :-/

But I think it would make a bigger difference to the result than a booster or malt pack.  Of course both would be better. :-)

Remember - "Chase flavor not ABV"

Our HMEs already have hops in them and don't NEED extra hops (they are optional). Beginners shouldn't be brewing with hops, just the HMEs. If they want to add hop aroma, then they can purchase some hops or buy a recipe (that's what they are for). The point is to keep it simple.

When we do add hops, they are known as "flavor" or "aroma" hops. Those are the terms used in the brewing industry. Adding a new term, such as "character hops" would only confuse beginners.

Ah OK, thanks for clarification.

I understand that the HMEs are a hopped as a stand alone product that is why I had thought they had aroma hops in them. I thought they were made just a little light on that aspect for the broader appeal. Not everyone like to get hit by hop aroma at 4 feet from the glass - lol.

My use of the word "character" was aimed specifically at the beer style, as might be typically used in the industry. Whereas "aroma", I thought, was more general and could be any hop that smelled good and not specifically to style.

I agree less confusion is better.

I will wait to see what you are coming up with for this as you had mentioned you were working on something. Happy to chew any ideas around - or do any testing.

I too think that the instructions should mention that aroma hops can be added.  It's not that hard. 

Geez Gopher.  I bet you're a load of fun at a party! ;)  Just kidding...  I was kinda hoping for the same.

2 hours ago, gophers6 said:

Was hoping for something like Winter Dark.

Surely someone has figured out how to clone it by now? Or maybe Josh will point us in the right direction...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1