Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hoppytobrew

Brown Sugar

I would like to know what your experiences have been in adding brown sugar to your mix? Positive, negative, and/or do's and don'ts??? I know that the more sugars that you add you must also increase your bittering.

It will dry the beer out, but will also add some molasses flavor. This can be beneficial in porters and stouts, but not so much in other styles. Though I have seen it done with IPAs before. Don't use more than 1 cup per 2 gallon batch, though. Remember that beer is made from barley, not sugar cane. 

You don't need to increase bittering when using sugar. Sugar will dry out the beer, which brings the hop bitterness forward by subduing the malt.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Why do you want to add it?

I don't necessarily want to add it, I've just read several recipes that included brown sugar and I was curious as to the contributing traits of this to wort. Is it improved mouth feel, increased ABV, added flavor or what?

Good experiences w/brown sugar: Dark IPA, Wicked Winter Warmer, Defibrillator Doppelbock, WDA, and Vanilla Porter.

Bad experience's w/brown sugar: Sunday Morning Coming Down, Pumpkin Rising, Oktoberfest.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Good experiences w/brown sugar: Dark IPA, Wicked Winter Warmer, Defibrillator Doppelbock, WDA, and Vanilla Porter.

Bad experience's w/brown sugar: Sunday Morning Coming Down, Pumpkin Rising, Oktoberfest.

Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoppytobrew said:

I don't necessarily want to add it, I've just read several recipes that included brown sugar and I was curious as to the contributing traits of this to wort. Is it improved mouth feel, increased ABV, added flavor or what?

That's why I asked.  

Flavor would be the main reason - because you want a molasses flavor (the sweetness ferments out).  It's not a great flavor to many.  You increase mouthfeel and ABV in other ways than adding brown sugar.  I would never use it unless a recipe specifically called for it.

• Like 1