Mr.Beer Community

So I brewed first batch and it's drinkable but it's a little sweet and doesn't seem as carbonated as much as it should be. I did two weeks fermenting in keg and two weeks in bottles then three days in fridge. Fermenting temp did drop to 68 degrees , as that was room temp and kit was two years old. I'm thinking yeast was old and cold and maybe went dormant . I  plan on switching to 5 gln batches, so I won't be rushing the process. If anyone has some advice I'm all ears ?

Three weeks fermenting, at least three weeks conditioning in the bottles (some do four or more). Then you can put it in the fridge.

Keep a good eye on the temp as the beer is fermenting. That is crucial.

You're going to make a few mistakes on your first batches. It's all part of the learning process. Stick with it, get your procedures down and you'll soon be making great beer.

• Like 1

Yeast was fine.

Pull bottles out of fridge. Put in 70 degree or higher area for at least 2 more weeks.

Following 3-4 gets you better beer.

• Like 1

Hmmmm....did you use booster.....an extra pack of LME...or was it just the can?

Listen to @RickBeer - 3 weeks fermenting. More time conditioning. 

My Checkz Pilsner was not great but you need to keep an eye on ferment temps as well. Ricks suggestion is for saving the beer but in the future:

65^ to 67^ max wort ferment temp for 3 weeks, 4 weeks condition, 3 days refrigeration.

Basic starting point, I have a few brews 1 year condition.

Cheers

Thanks for all the help ! I didn't use booster, it was a kit my daughter got me two years ago. Now that I'm laid off I thought it would be a good time to start a new hobby.I did pull the remaining bottles out of fridge and put in 70 degrees. I will go buy some beer and sit on my hands for a while.

• Like 1

You will get MUCH better results if you let the beer ferment for a full three weeks, and 68 degrees is a perfect temperature (temperature of the wort not the ambient room temperature). Let the beer condition a full month at room temperature. Don't be discouraged. I would stay with the smaller batches, before moving on to 5 gallon.

• Like 1

I wanted to thank everyone for the help ! Pulled all the bottles out and let sit for three more weeks and it worked perfect. Since then I made a batch of Aztec Mexican Cerveza . I followed the 3-4 week way and it too turned out great. I'm now in search of a Guinness type beer, but more important is a beer with good head retention. Any suggestions ? It poured with a good head , but disappeared quick.

beer.JPG

• Like 2