Mr.Beer Community

I am so confused reading here how to add orange zest or peel to a brew.  When and how?

Can any nice soul help a fellow out?

Thanks,

Will

Are you brewing the Belgian Blanc? or what recipe or did you make your own up? Zest is zest and peel is peel, google them, they are different. I bought a wallyworld zester to make the Blanc, it worked great. Per the Belgian Blanc recipe you bring the water to a boil and then you add in the orange zest. No need to sanitize it or anything because it will be placed in the hot water.

for a new moon brewer you cud be more considerate............... not everyone here is a google genius, there will be a time will need considerable advice from others

2 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

for a new moon brewer you cud be more considerate............... not everyone here is a google genius, there will be a time will need considerable advice from others

I thought i was being considerate. Roughly 1.5 months ago I asked the same question and all that I was told was "Zest is zest and peel is peel" So I googled it myself just to see. And I thought I gave pretty specific instructions on when and what to do with the zest and how to zest. I guess if I came off as a prick sorry to the new guy.

I can't really tell u the difference, the man to call on is RickBeer, however, I've experienced with both, so I've purchase the Zest tool to lightly scrape off the peeling of a FRESH orange/tangerine/ or lime not to cut into the "white area", which supposedly can produce souring in flavor. Peel, is what I've used which is DRIED peel, be it orange, tangerine, and or lime. And which is usually compleely dried, and used for a natural citrus sweetner

• Like 1

I say this only because I spent a fortune on an attempt of a tangerine wheat that was a disaster!, eventhough, I let it sit for a year in a 3 gallon keg, and finally finished it off yesterday, after crackin it open 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. The taste was excellent! you couldn't tell if you were drinking a fabulous healthy citrus drink or an alcoholic beverage, it was so well hidden from the citrus additives!  I have the recipe on my profile.

Don't know about zesters, I use a potato peeler to remove the outer orange skin than add it in a bag into the boil to sterilize.  It seems to work. I used bitter orange peel as well in my last Blanc.

• Like 1

Cheese grater, potato peeler, or zester all work in the same fashion I think, so any of them would work for zesting. But like Hoppy said just don't get the white pith then you will be some sour in the beer. I used fresh oranges for my blanc and it was awesome, I cannot say one way or another if dried zest adds the same amount of flavor is fresh.

Just throwing this out there, but couldnt he Just buy the dried stuff from a LHBS?

• Like 1

OK this got out of hand quickly.  Trust me I know the difference between zest and peel.  

Sorry I want to know is it better to use zest or peel.  When do I add it (zest or peel)? And the big question - how much to a 2 gallon batch?

Thanks,

Will

Will, when I used the dried stuff in a 2g batch I usually go 1oz.  This is for a grapefruit IPA, but I am going to be making the Belgian Blanc & I'll be using that same amount.  I add mine at flame out (in a hop sack) and dump it into the LBK for the duration of fermentation.   Hope this was helpful. :)

I bought some dried tangerine peel when I brewed the tangerine wheat last summer, and I tasted a piece, it was quite sweet and tasted good. at the time I didn't realize how soo little goes a long ways.

10 hours ago, WillR said:

OK this got out of hand quickly.  Trust me I know the difference between zest and peel.  

Sorry I want to know is it better to use zest or peel.  When do I add it (zest or peel)? And the big question - how much to a 2 gallon batch?

Thanks,

Will

What is it that you are trying to accomplish?  I ask this because you need to know what you're trying to achieve before people can tell you what to do.  You were asked what you were brewing, and didn't answer.  If you don't know what you are trying to achieve, then there is no correct answer from anyone.  

• Like 2

I have a CAL laying around and was thinking of adding a hint of orange to it.  Is that bad idea?

If you like how CAL tastes straight up and you think adding a hint of orange would be good, I say go for it. It's all personal preference with flavors.

I think I would add the zest of an orange once you have the water boiling. For my blanc I zested a whole orange. There are many orange varieties you can play with.

10 minutes ago, WillR said:

I have a CAL laying around and was thinking of adding a hint of orange to it.  Is that bad idea?

Again - for what purpose?  Bitter orange flavor?  Sweet orange flavor?  

Wow you are making my brain work.  

I guess I am going for a hint of orange flavor but no bitterness.  I don't think I want the sweetness.

I'm glad.  That was the intent.  ;)

You can't just "add stuff" to beer without knowing what you are trying to accomplish.  Well, you can, but you often won't get what you expect.  People at honey expecting a honey taste.  Nope.  Sugar gets eaten by yeast, leaves beer "drier", and raises ABV.  No honey taste.  People add brown sugar.  Sugar goes away, molasses flavor is left (bitter).

You can buy sweet orange peel or bitter orange peel.  They look the same, but have different impacts.  1/2 ounce is what would normally be added to a Mr. Beer batch.  You'll want it in a hop sack, and add it to the boiling water after you turn it off and before you add the can of HME.  You should get a little orange aroma.  

• Like 1

with fresh peel, probably soak in an ounce of vodka for about a week then put it in a hop sack and add to fermenter, maybe 2nd week. the vodka will not effect the flavor of the beer and will allow the orange peel flavoring to dissipate slowly into the wort

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillR said:

What about fresh peel?

I've added orange peel to a classic American light before and got a really nice Orange scent and a very light orange flavor by making a tincture. Peel or zest your orange and place it in a bowl with enough  vodka to cover it, let that sit for 2 to 3 days and then add the orange peel and vodka all together at day seven in the fermenter. 

• Like 1

Why are you guys adding the peel to the vodka? Not for sanitizing purposes are you? The boiling water would sanitize the peel from what I've been told.

Nevermind re read your comments. If adding after fermentation has begun then yes add to vodka to sanitize. 

Will I did not measure the amount on zest I used. I just grabbed 1 orange and zested the whole thing. The Belgian blanc recipe didn't specify any amount it just stated zest of 1 small orange. 

OK that sounds like a plan.  Thanks for all the help.

I should get this started in about a week.

I just started with Mr Beer and have my first three batches fermenting.  A CAL, an apple cider and a Aztec.

I bought a kit on Groupon and then bought the cider kit off Mr Beer as it was clearances.  Then on Craigslist I found someone getting rid of a kit for $5.  So first go and I have 6 gallons started just like that.  

I all looks foamy and nasty like it should.  Ha ha

I know I am hooked on this now.

• Like 8

On 3/12/2016 at 2:19 PM, WillR said:

I just started with Mr Beer and have my first three batches fermenting.  A CAL, an apple cider and a Aztec.

I bought a kit on Groupon and then bought the cider kit off Mr Beer as it was clearances.  Then on Craigslist I found someone getting rid of a kit for $5.  So first go and I have 6 gallons started just like that.  

I all looks foamy and nasty like it should.  Ha ha

I know I am hooked on this now.

Welcome to the addiction! 

I dried an orange peel until it was nice and crispy (sunny and hot here already) and crunched it up into small bag for vacuum sealing. I'll use it in an upcoming Blue Moon type wit. 

I just couldn't see paying for something that I throw into the compost daily. ;)

soon i'll be brewin another California Dreaming recipe Mr. Beer offers, I think it's a seasonal recipe, may be available in the archive look up? anyway its really, with the addition of fresh oats, vanilla bean and orange zest. since I have a copy of the recipe, all I need are the ingredients.

I need to look that one up.  Sounds tasty.

I have a week till am first bottling and I am already thirsty - but patient.

it'll be great! when I first got into this I had no patience either, but I got tired of running out of beer when it wasn't ready because I sampled too many times. once you get your pipeline going, you will be just fine, relaxed, and proud!

• Like 1

That is why I have two batches of beer going and one cider.  I am looking for another so I can have a good stream of libations flowing.

• Like 1

I found a chart for citrus additions to your beer, I had to take a photo of it from a recent brewing magazine, bcuz the issue is so recent the website that has the article won't show it online for me to copy, so i'll have to do it the old school way

ok i'll post it tomorrow, just be easier to save it from the website, just hope the chart is legible to viewers

trying to upload this chart but my phone is a piece of crap! so be patient i'm upgrading very soon!

4 minutes ago, HoppySmile! said:

trying to upload this chart but my phone is a piece of crap! so be patient i'm upgrading very soon!

I can't upload anything from my phone. Try a computer. 

2 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I can't upload anything from my phone. Try a computer. 

what I did was connect a USB between my phone and laptop to upload the pics, and they were all blurry?? doesn't make sense, the phone has auto focus, the pics on the phone are clear, but transferred to the laptop, it's a thumbnail, and blurry?? crazy is I just recently transferred the barrel pics from my phone and they were fine. the phone is almost 6 yrs old, and its been locking up a lot so i'm thinking its screwing up on transfer

plus since I paid subscription price for BYO.com, I get free online subscription too included. so when  go to the website to open the subscription nothing appears and i'm signed in??? Ha!

I used to have one of those in my car, I drove a piece of crap ford Granada in the late 80's and I bought one of those mobile phones with a car antenna, the clincher was it was all fake, just so I cud look important, but where I screwed up is that I was driving a piece of crap granada