Mr.Beer Community
AnthonyC

Peanut Butter Cup Stout

I love peanut butter!  I love chocolate!  Just wanted some feedback on this:

St. Patrick's HME

4oz of Oatmeal

2oz of 2-Row (thanks to the MrB crew for the heads up on the oatmeal/2row)

Peanut butter extract

1/4 Unsweetened Chocolate Powder

Doesnt sound too over-the-top.  Ideas?  Advice?  

• Like 2

Rather than the standard ambiguously non-descript "interesting..." that I usually get when I post an idea for a recipe, I will say  looks good to me -- Go for it!  Also, if you are having as much fun with grains as I have been lately, maybe add a couple oz. of Chocolate malt just 'cuz you can! :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Rather than the standard ambiguously non-descript "interesting..." that I usually get when I post an idea for a recipe, I will say  looks good to me -- Go for it!  Also, if you are having as much fun with grains as I have been lately, maybe add a couple oz. of Chocolate malt just 'cuz you can! :)

I considered this... you confirmed it... it shall be done! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Short answer -- If you don't brew it, who will?

Lets put it this way.  The post has been up for 2hrs & so far I haven't heard Rick say that it shouldn't be done, therefore it shall be done! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

Lets put it this way.  The post has been up for 2hrs & so far I haven't heard Rick say that it shouldn't be done, therefore it shall be done! 

Because so far, nobody has used the term "throw in some..." ;)

• Like 1

Since I seldom just make up recipes, I usually don't comment on these.  I did notice that "Peanut Butter Extract" has an unspecified amount.  12 pounds would be too much...  

I can tell you that using the LorAnn extracts works great for us.  My wife puts a drop or 2 of peanut butter in her glass, a drop or 2 of chocolate, and pours in a stout.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Since I seldom just make up recipes, I usually don't comment on these.  I did notice that "Peanut Butter Extract" has an unspecified amount.  12 pounds would be too much...  

I can tell you that using the LorAnn extracts works great for us.  My wife puts a drop or 2 of peanut butter in her glass, a drop or 2 of chocolate, and pours in a stout.  

Finally!  Yes, I was not sure about the amount to add to this "recipe".  I would agree with you, however, that 12 pounds of peanut butter extract would be a smidge too much!  ;) 

Full disclosure:  After my usual morning Forum review and with this stout recipe fresh on my mind, I got going to make my lunch for the day.  For sweets, I had to pick from a Nature Valley Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate bar, mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, mini Hershey's bars, or homemade chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies.  I decided that one of each would do nicely!

• Like 1

I would up the 2 row to 4 oz and cut the cocoa powder to 1/8 cup.  Based on other recipes I have seen, PB powder should be about 5 oz for a 2 gallon batch.  Most recipes also call for cocoa nibs, about 2 oz would be good for this batch.

The cocoa powder and PB powder should be added to another fermenter (LBK) and then the finished beer should be racked on top of it.  After 3 to 4 days you should add the cocoa nibs and give it another 7 to 10 days before bottling.

I haven't brewed one like this but I have been looking at doing one.  DuClaw brewing does one called "Sweet Baby Jesus" that is amazing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Full disclosure:  After my usual morning Forum review and with this stout recipe fresh on my mind, I got going to make my lunch for the day.  For sweets, I had to pick from a Nature Valley Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate bar, mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, mini Hershey's bars, or homemade chocolate chip or peanut butter cookies.  I decided that one of each would do nicely!

...and your welcome!  ;)

Austin Homebrew (way across town...seldom go there) has samples on tap. The other day I went there and they had a Choc/PB offering. I said it then and I'll say it now: Peanut Butter ain't a damn beer flavor!! It's an abomination!!

I'll give you chocolate, coffee, citrus, apricot, pecan, the occasional berry and sure, knock yourself out with the spices, but I just can't abide the notion of making a mockery of an honest, decent brew with peanut butter. :):P

• Like 3

My Nature Valley Protein Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate bar lists chicory root extract in the ingredients.  Interesting...

54 minutes ago, J A said:

Austin Homebrew (way across town...seldom go there) has samples on tap. The other day I went there and they had a Choc/PB offering. I said it then and I'll say it now: Peanut Butter ain't a damn beer flavor!! It's an abomination!!

I'll give you chocolate, coffee, citrus, apricot, pecan, the occasional berry and sure, knock yourself out with the spices, but I just can't abide the notion of making a mockery of an honest, decent brew with peanut butter. :):P

Did you try it?

1 hour ago, J A said:

I bet the 1st time the genius who decided to dab his chocolate bar into a jar of peanut butter was told the same thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J A said:

And when you were a little boy you didn't like girls either. :D

55 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Did you try it?

I believe I've made my position on the matter abundantly clear!! :P:D

32 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

And when you were a little boy you didn't like girls either. :D

Hey it's a big, wild world out there...for all you know I don't like girls now! :)

But, no, I'm straight, and yeah...I probably thought girls were yucky at some point. And now I think otherwise...

But I don't want any damn peanut butter messin' up that interaction, either!!! :lol::lol::lol:

This thread has gone to the BDawgs! ;)

I dunno.  I can think of worse things than peanut butter extract to put in beer.  How about that green weedy looking stuff?  What's that called again?  Hops?  Yeah, that's it!  Sure glad that guy didn't start a topic here!!  

• Like 3

wanna revive this thread.... Been thinking on how to do a chocolate peanut butter stout,,,, how'd your come out AnthonyC?? Did you use extract,,, been reading up on peanut butter powder,,,,wondering if its just easier to use extract or go thru the process with the powder for better peanut butter flavor...?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

wanna revive this thread.... Been thinking on how to do a chocolate peanut butter stout,,,, how'd your come out AnthonyC?? Did you use extract,,, been reading up on peanut butter powder,,,,wondering if its just easier to use extract or go thru the process with the powder for better peanut butter flavor...?

I'm interested in hearing what he did.  I know that when I did my PB Porter, I used the powdered PB 2.  I'll admit, it was good, but it wasn't great.  Thinking I should have put it all in the secondary, instead of 1/2 late in boil and 1/2 in secondary. I've been meaning to brew it again, yet the lack of a really good PB flavor has kept me from it I believe, so I am interested in reading this thread more... 

• Like 2

yea me too,,I read one guy online say he used I cant remember what kinda peanuts but he used whatever variety unsalted straight up...then he said his second choice was the powdered PB2,,,, Definitely wanna figure this out,, I think a chocolate peanut butter stout would be a great dessert beer...

The first thing to remember is that peanut butter is an AROMA, not a FLAVOR.  

I use LorAnn's peanut butter flavor.  You can buy it at most LHBS, many online ones, and Amazon.  It sells for $1.40, many charge a $1 more than that.  Either use the entire thing on a 5 gallon batch, or buy their eyedroppers and add a drop or two to the glass, then pour in the stout.  SWMBO loves it.  Note - do NOT store the dropper in the bottle, the fumes will eat away the rubber over time.

I do this for my wheat beers also - add whatever fruit flavor I want to a neutral wheat beer.  Also chocolate to stout, etc.

2 hours ago, Stroomer420 said:

yea me too,,I read one guy online say he used I cant remember what kinda peanuts but he used whatever variety unsalted straight up...then he said his second choice was the powdered PB2,,,, Definitely wanna figure this out,, I think a chocolate peanut butter stout would be a great dessert beer...

I did  Resee Cup Porter, using PB2.  Came out okay for a first time experiment.  If you need the recipe let me know.

4 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

I did  Resee Cup Porter, using PB2.  Came out okay for a first time experiment.  If you need the recipe let me know.

yea man !!! Share away!!; ?

• Like 1

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/35844-reese-cup-porter-experiment/#comment-447210

it is a porter and not a stout.  it came out a bit bitter on the chocolate side and not as peanut buttery as I had wished.  It was my first rouge experiment. Next time I might try a smooth HME or maybe Lactose milk sugar

If you try this, let me know.  Thanks

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I use LorAnn's peanut butter flavor.  You can buy it at most LHBS, many online ones, and Amazon.  It sells for $1.40, many charge a $1 more than that.  Either use the entire thing on a 5 gallon batch, or buy their eyedroppers and add a drop or two to the glass, then pour in the stout.  SWMBO loves it.  Note - do NOT store the dropper in the bottle, the fumes will eat away the rubber over time.

I do this for my wheat beers also - add whatever fruit flavor I want to a neutral wheat beer.  Also chocolate to stout, etc.

Sorry Sir RickBeer, but I think peanut butter is a flavor and an aroma.  but, taste and smell tend to work together

16 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I use LorAnn's peanut butter flavor.  

I am a little cornfused on this one here.  You specify that it is an aroma, then you refer to it as a flavor?  However, beyond that, are you telling me when I go to DQ and order a PB Shake, all I am getting is smelly ice cream, not flavored ice cream? >:) 

I am interested in how you feel it is an aroma, when in my porter I don't recognize the PB until it hits my taste buds on my tongue.  Can you elaborate a bit more, por favor? :) 

That is the term that LorAnn calls their product.

Next time you drink your Porter, hold your nose the entire time you take the sip, including when you swallow.  Next sip, hold your nose as you fill your mouth.  5 seconds later, let your nose go.  Notice the change when you release your nostrils.  Then swallow.

Taste buds taste 6 things, and only 6 things.  Sweet, salty, bitter, sour, umami, & fat.  Umami is glutamate.  Focus on the first 4.

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

Sometimes, my kids diapers are so bad that i can taste them. Thats my input for this topic

If they are filled with Peanut Butter... well... nevermind  ;)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Next time you drink your Porter, hold your nose the entire time you take the sip, including when you swallow.  Next sip, hold your nose as you fill your mouth.  5 seconds later, let your nose go

Sadly, I do not have any of the PB Porter left, it went too fast and that was months ago.  However, I do have some PB2 as well as plain ole PB and I will test this tonight. :)

Still trying to figure out how this can help me the next time I make it, honestly.  If I am not worried about "Flavor" but "Aroma" is there a way to make it where it will smell better?  My last one was pretty good, but always looking to improve. :)

11 minutes ago, kedogn said:

Sadly, I do not have any of the PB Porter left, it went too fast and that was months ago.  However, I do have some PB2 as well as plain ole PB and I will test this tonight. :)

Still trying to figure out how this can help me the next time I make it, honestly.  If I am not worried about "Flavor" but "Aroma" is there a way to make it where it will smell better?  My last one was pretty good, but always looking to improve. :)

lol this thread took a odd turn,,,, I'm gonna try the method in the recipe I posted above....seems most recipes I find have you put the powder in a secondary then rack on top of it,,In this recipe they mix the powder in what I guess is like moonshine let it sit a week ,then pour the slurry on top of the wort after a week then let it ferment another two weeks...

14 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

seems most recipes I find have you put the powder in a secondary then rack on top of it,,In this recipe they mix the powder in what I guess is like moonshine let it sit a week ,then pour the slurry on top of the wort after a week then let it ferment another two weeks.

The secondary is what I did and felt it worked best of the 2 methods I did with the PB2.  I have done the route of doing vanilla or cocoa nibs in a vodka bath for a couple weeks and then adding to the beer as well, but hadn't thought about doing that with PB.  It works great with vanilla and cocoa nibs, if you ever have a recipe needing that though :) 

this is what I got spinning in my head,, this is for a stout....

1 can St. patricks day stout HME

1 robust LME

4 ounces coaco nibs

4 ounces lactose sugar

4 ounces carapils

PB2 powder(still trying to figure out how much)

safale-04 yeast

steep grains 30 mins

bring to boil ,,,boil cocoa nibs 5 mins

flame out and lactose sugar HME LME

add to keg top off stir add yeast..

make the peanut butter slurry put in sanitized mason jar add after one week...

we'll see :D

2 hours ago, kedogn said:

The secondary is what I did and felt it worked best of the 2 methods I did with the PB2.  I have done the route of doing vanilla or cocoa nibs in a vodka bath for a couple weeks and then adding to the beer as well, but hadn't thought about doing that with PB.  It works great with vanilla and cocoa nibs, if you ever have a recipe needing that though :) 

• Like 1

I tell ya, doing the Cocoa Nibs in Vodka will give a much better flavor than boiling them.  I have done it both ways and without a doubt its the better way.

• Like 1

reading that peanut butter and jelly time recipe link above ,that's for a 5 and 1/2 gallon recipe so I'm just gonna cut it in half and use 6 ounces of PB2 powder and 3 ounces of the booze to make the slurry...

On 1/14/2017 at 5:30 PM, Stroomer420 said:

I would love the recipe! Our daughter had a chocolate peanut butter stout from Horny Goat Brewery that she loved. Now the brewery is closed & I can't seem to find another beer like it. So I'm trying to get ideas for a recipe so I can try making some for her.

Any recipes would be great

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Texandpam said:

I would love the recipe! Our daughter had a chocolate peanut butter stout from Horny Goat Brewery that she loved. Now the brewery is closed & I can't seem to find another beer like it. So I'm trying to get ideas for a recipe so I can try making some for her.

Any recipes would be great

scroll up theres a couple ideas,,, ive yet to try but thinking I might this weekend..found the PB2 powder at the GNC store.so won't know until I try... will up date once I make it..

On January 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Stroomer420 said:

I would love the recipe

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, Stroomer420 said:

this is what I got spinning in my head,, this is for a stout....

1 can St. patricks day stout HME

1 robust LME

4 ounces coaco nibs

4 ounces lactose sugar

4 ounces carapils

PB2 powder(still trying to figure out how much)

safale-04 yeast

steep grains 30 mins

bring to boil ,,,boil cocoa nibs 5 mins

flame out and lactose sugar HME LME

add to keg top off stir add yeast..

make the peanut butter slurry put in sanitized mason jar add after one week...

we'll see :D

44 minutes ago, Texandpam said:

I would love the recipe

this is what I'm trying this weekend

May do a PB Stout this weekend.  I just noticed that my fiancée picked up a jar of powdered peanut butter from somewhere.  Thinking:

Mr. Beer Saint Pat's

1/2 lb 2-row

1/2 lb flaked oats

2 cups lactose

1-2 cups powdered peanut butter

Ideas?  Comments?  ?

2 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

May do a PB Stout this weekend.  I just noticed that my fiancée picked up a jar of powdered peanut butter from somewhere.  Thinking:

Mr. Beer Saint Pat's

1/2 lb 2-row

1/2 lb flaked oats

2 cups lactose

1-2 cups powdered peanut butter

Ideas?  Comments?  ?

great minds think alike... Gonna try what I posted above your post...except maybe up the lactose.... ?

two cups of lactose??? 16 ounces....????

I've done four ounces and thought could definitely double that maybe...and how are you adding the pb2 powder??.

53 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

two cups of lactose??? 16 ounces....????

I've done four ounces and thought could definitely double that maybe...and how are you adding the pb2 powder??.

This is the powdered peanut butter that she bought.  I'll probably add it at the end of the boil so I dont boil its flavor away.  So you're saying to up the lactose, Stroom?

IMG_0266.JPG

12 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

We

This is the powdered peanut butter that she bought.  I'll probably add it at the end of the boil so I dont boil its flavor away.  So you're saying to up the lactose, Stroom?

IMG_0266.JPG

in your recipe/post you said you were gonna do 2 CUPS of lactose... I wanted to make sure I was reading that right...I ws thinking of uping it on my recipe from four to six or eight...ounces..

ahh forget my question was confusing liquid measurements to dry... ? was thinking two cups of lactose was same as liquid,but it's not... How much is that by weight??? Two cups that is?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stroomer420 said:

ahh forget my question was confusing liquid measurements to dry... ? was thinking two cups of lactose was same as liquid,but it's not... How much is that by weight??? Two cups that is?

You're asking an English teacher to do a math problem?  I have no clue.  Haha!  Definitely the wrong guy to ask.  ?

• Like 1

On February 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Stroomer420 said:

scroll up theres a couple ideas,,, ive yet to try but thinking I might this weekend..found the PB2 powder at the GNC store.so won't know until I try... will up date once I make it..

Thanks. I'm getting some ideas, we've never tries anything new. Only the original recipes in the cans, so just trying to get ideas and then it's experiment time. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AnthonyC said:

You're asking an English teacher to do a math problem?  I have no clue.  Haha!  Definitely the wrong guy to ask.  ?

hahaha... When I brew tomorrow,I'll throw two cups on my scale and see what it is ?

1 hour ago, Texandpam said:

Thanks. I'm getting some ideas, we've never tries anything new. Only the original recipes in the cans, so just trying to get ideas and then it's experiment time. 

that's the great thing about this hobby ,,you can try things out until you figure out what works for you and to you liking...good luck with your brew!!!.. ?