Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nathan08

Craft Refill

Anyone out there like Diablo?  I have brewed 5 different batches from the "standard refill" series and am now looking to try something different.  So... is it any good?  Any suggestions for refills that anyone has enjoyed?  I am not looking for a particular taste, just looking to try the various refills, so I am open to suggestions.

Also, are deluxe refills worth a go?  The difference, from what I can tell, is the addition of LME.

• Like 1

The addition of extra malt is worth the cost. You may want to add additional hops, if you like.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

The addition of extra malt is worth the cost. You may want to add additional hops, if you like.

Good to know about the malt.  I never thought about adding hops.  Can you mix and match different hops with different refills or are there specific ones that go with each brew?  I noticed that there is a description of each one on the Mr. Beer site as to what it goes with so i assume that different hops can be added to different refills to yield different results.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

Diablo IPA is a very tasty craft on its own, but I would think that any of the Diablo recipes would be even better.  Good luck!

• Like 2

Not sure if these qualify as refills, but they were pretty great:

Sugar on Top IPA

POTUS Honey Porter

Chewbeerca

Nilla Porter

Sunday Morning Coming Down

Defibrillator Doppelbock

Wicked Winter Warmer

Witches Flight

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nathan08 said:

Good to know about the malt.  I never thought about adding hops.  Can you mix and match different hops with different refills or are there specific ones that go with each brew?  I noticed that there is a description of each one on the Mr. Beer site as to what it goes with so i assume that different hops can be added to different refills to yield different results.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

Have you searched the 'recipes' section of the website?  You can filter the selections by extract, and then pick a recipe that sounds good to you! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nathan08 said:

You can add whatever hops you like. They vary depending on strain, but there are MANY hops that are suitable for IPAs. I recommend checking out my hop chart for descriptions on the many varieties (it admittedly needs to be updated). https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11GCu5NxT5UYQVFN6VpukG_4T_GS_MSwr7fESWgtXAUg/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

@Nathan08

As @Bonsai & Brew mentioned, taking some time to explore the recipe section is well worth it. The recipes are tried and true variations on what Mr. B has to offer.

Personally, the thought of just straight brewing up a can at this point does not particularly excite me. I want to either steep some grains, add some hops...do something. (It is a character flaw, I am sure.)

Another thing to try are the seasonals. I am quite happy with the ESBs I've brewed. One I think was straight (but not sure. I did not take good notes back then) and one that I hopped with Goldings.

I've got a dortmunder that I brewed ale style and added some hops as well.

But check the recipes! Lot's of great stuff there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nathan08 said:

Anyone out there like Diablo?  I have brewed 5 different batches from the "standard refill" series and am now looking to try something different.  So... is it any good?  Any suggestions for refills that anyone has enjoyed?  I am not looking for a particular taste, just looking to try the various refills, so I am open to suggestions.

Also, are deluxe refills worth a go?  The difference, from what I can tell, is the addition of LME.

I have a can of Diablo I'm waiting to make, let us know how you liked it. I'm in the same boat, just looking to try different cans first.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrWhy said:

Personally, the thought of just straight brewing up a can at this point does not particularly excite me. I want to either steep some grains, add some hops...do something. (It is a character flaw, I am sure.)

So far, my steeped grain/extracts are better by far than any of my straight extract brews. Can't wait to start sampling the AG batches. ;)

• Like 3

There are many avenues to explore, extra hops, steeping grains, additional malt, on and on. What makes it a great hobby is that you can pick and choose, go at your own pace, enjoy your brews, and there is no pressure. Lately, time has been a factor for me, and the few brews I made are just extract with additional malt. And, I don't feel as if I "cheated". The beers are delicious. For me, part of the enjoyment of brewing has been participating in this forum, I've learned quite a bit and consider the forum members friends (yes, you to Rickbeer!  :D )

• Like 6

I agree with that :) I don't know what I would have done without this forum. Such a great tool, and it does compliment the hobby very well.  Lots of great folk on here.

• Like 3

Like I've said many times, if I hadn't found this forum I'd probably still just be making standard refills. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

• Like 2