Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
VictoryRider

Paper in the wort

While dumping the malt extract from the can into the LBK, some paper from the outside of the can came off and fell into the wort.  I guess I soaked the can too long in warm water.  The paper is definitely sanitized, and I removed most of it.  But I know I did not get all of it out.   Do you think the paper will cause a problem?

Just now, VictoryRider said:

While dumping the malt extract from the can into the LBK, some paper from the outside of the can came off and fell into the wort.  I guess I soaked the can too long in warm water.  The paper is definitely sanitized, and I removed most of it.  But I know I did not get all of it out.   Do you think the paper will cause a problem?

No. This has happened to many people, including me, with no issues. In the future, remove the label first.

• Like 3

Been there, did that, wrote this forum about it :P and mine turned out fine as well.  To avoid this problem, tear the wet lable off before dumping the contents of the can.

Thanks.    I guess I just ASSumed that I was the only one who made that mistake.   This is only my second batch, and for some reason the first can of LME didn't have the label issue.   But now I know for next time!

Removing the label to prevent it from falling into the wort is very cruel to the yeast - What will they have to read while fermenting your beer? How will they know which beer they are fermenting? I suggest that you sit with your keg and fermenting yeast and read to them from the Sunday New York Times, and treat them to the funny pages at least twice a week. Also,  keep the lights low and play soft music to encourage full fermentation.  ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnthonyC said:

Every time I read this I wanna yell...  Skip to my lou! :)

LOL! Ah yes...the traumatizing effect of 2nd Grade square-dancing!

• Like 1